Knicks Insider: "All Things Knicks"

New York Post is reporting that the Knicks never made a formal offer for AD. Sounds like the Celtics took themselves out of the running too.

Lakers look like they bid against themselves.

Kiyaman

Legend
Pelicans? Julius Randle is not picking up his $9M player option for next season and will enter unrestricted free agency, league sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium. Randle is coming off his best NBA season (21.4 PPG, 8.7 RPG, 34.4 percent from 3-point range on 195 attempts).

The Knicks did not land Anthony Davis, but perhaps they can make a run at another Pelicans center.

New York is reportedly a fan of Julius Randle, according to the New York Post's Marc Berman, and could pursue him when free agency begins in two weeks.

Randle, 24, will not exercise his $9 million player option with New Orleans so he can test free agency, according to The Athletic's Shams Charania.

??????

Gotta admit, I?m not against this signing... Mitch and Randle would make for a nice C/PF combo. Randle is young and fits our timeline....

Gotta wonder if a Randle is the type we sign now, instead of offering a max to Kyrie.

Give KD a max and put him on a shelf. Then sign a Randle and another young player? Tough call. Definitely don?t overpay...

Rozier or Russell with Randle? Don?t think we go G route, if we believe in DSJ.

DSJ
RJ
Knox
Randle
Robinson

KD and KL always was the correct choice... I still imagine this is plan-A. But with KD hurt, I bet Randle and other young available cats are now options?

Randle & Russell are two young star role-players the Lakers organization drafted then kick to the curb .. Nine out of ten ..
The new Lebron & AD Lakers will probably want the two ex-Laker FA back in Lakers uniform this off-season LMAO--CTFU
The Lakers right now are operating on both fronts. They still hope to chase max players such as Kemba Walker, Jimmy Butler and Kawhi Leonard, sources say. They also have begun discussing players expected to fetch somewhere in that $10 million-plus range.
For now, expectation is Anthony Davis trade will be completed on July 6, league sources tell @Bobby Marks. Assuming Davis declines to void $4M trade bonus, this leaves Lakers with $23.7M in space. There is chance that could be amended to July 30, but it?s still 6th now.

Could Fizdale build a .500 winning Knicks team by adding Barrett Russell and Randle to the Knicks roster ???

mafra

Legend
Knicks shooting guard Damyean Dotson, who had major shoulder surgery last month, made an appearance on MSG 150 Monday night and acknowledged the Knicks are still going to be young next season.

?Most importantly, it?s a young team this year ? Kev [Kevin Knox], Allonzo [Trier], Mitchell [Robinson],?? Dotson said, according to excerpts supplied by MSG Network. ?Everybody will just get better this summer and work hard and focus on the small things that we need to do to get better, our defensive strategies, having better focus on defense. A lot of our games came down to defensive mistakes. It?s just getting better with our chemistry, coming together, getting smarter, IQ getting better, and guys keep learning.

?And for me, most importantly just get healthy of course. Also, I want to be a better defender, less defensive mistakes and just continue to get stronger, and my shot more consistent. There?s a lot I could go on but the most important one is getting healthy.?

mafra

Legend
With just two days until the Knicks are on the clock at No. 3 overall, one would think New York is set with their plan come Thursday night.

That is until a "last-minute workout" was scheduled for Wednesday with Vanderbilt PG Darius Garland, per ESPN's Jonathan Givony.

Garland is a top-10 prospect that some can see going in the top five. Givony adds that the Knicks are in "serious consideration" of picking Garland at No. 3.

With just two days until the Knicks are on the clock at No. 3 overall, one would think New York is set with their plan come Thursday night.

That is until a "last-minute workout" was scheduled for Wednesday with Vanderbilt PG Darius Garland, per ESPN's Jonathan Givony.

Garland is a top-10 prospect that some can see going in the top five. Givony adds that the Knicks are in "serious consideration" of picking Garland at No. 3.

Garland has his fans as an elite talent, but I don?t get this based on positional need for us. Only makes sense to me if we trade down. Pelicans maybe want RJ and contacted us about swapping 3rd for 4th, maybe?

mafra

Legend
Knicks turned down 8&10 from ATL...

Maybe if Garland and Culver are available at 8/10, or some combo of 2 prospects they covet, Knicks pull trigger.

However, I would force ATL to toss in an extra asset. First next year or something.

If NO made us an offer we can?t refuse... Hmmm... maybe we trade back a pick...

8 and 10 are nowhere near enough to move up to #3 in this draft. It cost the Mavericks a future 1st round pick just to do the equivalent of moving up 2 spots from 5th to 3rd to get Doncic last year.

Moving up from 8th to 3rd is at least 2 future 1st round picks. That 10th pick is practically worthless to me. Draft turns to mush after the top 5 or 6.

mafra

Legend
?I?ve talked to the Knicks about RJ,? Coach K said Tuesday on his SiriusXM show. ?And who knows with all the ? some of these guys are really coveted by other teams, so they can throw packages up there for the Knicks.?

?He would start right away. He has the potential to be a double-double guy,? said the coach, who was in New York on Tuesday for the SiriusXM show. ?He?s a great defensive rebounder, and if he gets the defensive rebound he can push, and he can play 1-through-4. Because he can pass too. As he grows, there?ll be times in this kid?s career where the triple-double will happen more than once. He?s a star. There?s no question. Beautiful, beautiful kid.?
Krzyzewski also referenced Barrett?s relationship with Zion Williamson as an indicator of humility. Barrett was a star his entire life but ceded the spotlight to Williamson at Duke.
?What says a lot about him is his relationship with Zion,? Krzyzewski said. ?You know, the two of them could [have been] very jealous of one another, envious. [Instead] they became brothers. Literally. They love one another.?

Just read a report that Morey did in fact try to trade Chris Paul to us and our front office wanted no part of it.

tiger0330

Legend
Looks like Kawhi is listening to team presentations in LA next week. Toronto is there and will make the last presentation to him in their effort to sign him. Clips will be there and the Lakers just cleared cap space to make a max slot by trading 3 players to the Wiz along with AD forgoing a 4M bonus, obviously they would Ike that max slot to go to Kawhi and Kawhi will probably listen to what they have to say.

It'll be a disappointment if the Knicks don't have the opportunity to make a pitch to Kawhi but honestly what do they have to sell to him. Wouldn't surprise me if Kawhi thought it would be a waste of time and doesn't grant Mills the opportunity. You hope that all that BS Mills tells us about changing the culture, the black front office, the vision would at least get you the opportunity to make your case to a guy like Kawhi.

The Knicks best bet in free agency is turn RJ and MRob into stars, turn Knox and DSJ into strong starters, and then try again in free agency either next offseason or the offseason after next. Change the culture first.

mafra

Legend
I believe KL will meet with us, but to be honest I don?t want to hold up going after other options bc we are chasing a pie in the sky dream.

Act quickly and scoop up Randle and Rozier or Russell... Or be left standing when music stops.

If you believe the reports, good news for us might be that if Kemba goes to Boston, that likely clears the path to us signing Rozier, who reportedly is open to signing a 1 or 2 year deal.

mafra

Legend
Beginning to look KD to Knicks, Kemba to BOS, Klay remains in GSW...

Key is that both Kawhi and Kyrie are possible targets for Lakers... I?m guessing LA gets Kyrie and Kawhi stays in TOR (but now reports say Kawhi May pick LAK)...

If Kawhi goes to Lakers... where does Kyrie go? Has to be Knicks.

I prefer signing Rozier and Randle instead of giving that money to KI.

If Knicks get KD, Rozier and Randle.... that?s a HR!

tiger0330

Legend
The Knicks best bet in free agency is turn RJ and MRob into stars, turn Knox and DSJ into strong starters, and then try again in free agency either next offseason or the offseason after next. Change the culture first.
Looks like Mills will get the chance to pitch that weak “you can sell a lot of New Balance sneakers if you join the Knicks” to KL according to reports.

Kiyaman

Legend
Beginning to look KD to Knicks, Kemba to BOS, Klay remains in GSW...

Key is that both Kawhi and Kyrie are possible targets for Lakers... I?m guessing LA gets Kyrie and Kawhi stays in TOR (but now reports say Kawhi May pick LAK)...

If Kawhi goes to Lakers... where does Kyrie go? Has to be Knicks.

I prefer signing Rozier and Randle instead of giving that money to KI.

If Knicks get KD, Rozier and Randle.... that?s a HR!

The Big NBA question on July 1st.
Which Top FA in 2019 off-season are gonna be signed to the Lakers .. Lebron / AD / ???

It would've been nice if the Knicks were the 2nd or 3rd selection of a couple Top FA .... Oh yeah, Durant injury took him out of being a top FA, sorry!

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Teams are now calling about DSJ, it's believed he's one of a few who wants out. There is a perception across the league we're our worst enemy to curating talent

Teams are also calling about Morris. It's not believe he's one who wants out but his play has been super solid this yr. Really he showed signs with Celtics last yr. With that being said, let's get great value for our players whoever gets moved

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Here's another tweet from Begley about #Kporzee and his time here in our system(the ever changing undefined ones that is)

There isn't one young talent on this team who's peaked relative to their time in league since Phil was here except maybe Mudiay(?) and that's even a stretch

mafra

Legend
So, is Carlisle saying if he had Shaq and Duncan he would space them beyond the three-point line?

KP is 7?3?, and you want him to plant behind the arc? Saying the post-up is outdated? Come on....

Then why is KP just as inefficient in DAL as he was in NY?

How about this... Have KP prove he can get a bucket when there?s 30 seconds left in a tie game. His line move.... chuck a 3.

tiger0330

Legend
So, is Carlisle saying if he had Shaq and Duncan he would space them beyond the three-point line?

KP is 7”3’, and you want him to plant behind the arc? Saying the post-up is outdated? Come on....

Then why is KP just as inefficient in DAL as he was in NY?

How about this... Have KP prove he can get a bucket when there’s 30 seconds left in a tie game. His line move.... chuck a 3.
Hard to argue with Carlisle on the modern day NBA offense that values the long ball over post up b-ball of the Al Jefferson’s, Yao, Hibbert et al. The Mavs have the highest offensive rating per 100 possessions at over 116 since that stat was created. Their 116 even eclipses the powerhouse MIL team’s 114 rating. I made the analytics argument in a post several years ago when Bud was coaching the Hawks and look at where he has the Bucks now.