Knicks Insider: "All Things Knicks"

mafra

Legend
Didn?t the article admit Phil picked the wrong head coaches? Isn?t that one of the main jobs of a GM? Krause found Jax in Albany... who did Phil try to get as his coach? Best available or one of his guys?

Now, Kerr did turn him down.

But for anybody to blame Melo for the terrible job Walsh and Mills and Jax did... wow.

KP fell into his lap. He wanted Russell or Okafor. He drafts Cleanthony Early over Jocic.

By the end of his stay here, he couldn?t even get meeting with free agents like Andre Drummond. The supposed best triangle C in NBA. Couldn?t even get a meeting!

Jax feel asleep while scouting guys live!

Dude awoke and realized Zen philosophy doesn?t work as an exec, especially under Dolan.

He actually re-signed Melo!

So, his best accolade is that he hit on Kp. How hard is it to screw up a top 5 pick? Where was the second round gem? Took Perry all of 5 minutes to find MRob.

mafra

Legend
According to Shams: The Knicks are finalizing hiring Jazz VP of Player Personnel Walt Perrin as assistant general manager as they reshuffle front office under Leon Rose. Perrin is a well-respected executive who has worked in Jazz organization for 19 years.

John Hollinger

@johnhollinger
Wow. Perrin is a road warrior, a fixture at every event with any even remotely relevant prospect. Good get for a Knicks team that needs to be scouring the land for young talent.

Jeremiah Jensen

@JJSportsBeat
Rudy Gobert and Donovan Mitchell would not be with the Utah Jazz without the work of Walt Perrin. 240 characters aren?t enough to describe how important he has been to the Jazz. I?m selfishly sad he?s leaving us but he?s earned this opportunity.

Chris Iseman

@ChrisIseman
Walt Perrin was the Pistons' director of college scouting when Scott Perry joined Detroit's front office in 2000. So there was some overlap there. Perrin left in 2001 for the Jazz.

SLC Dunk

@slcdunk
During his time as VP of Player Personnel, Utah drafted Deron Williams, Paul Millsap, Rudy Gobert, and Donovan Mitchell.

Utah found sleepers like Joe Ingles, Wes Matthews, and Royce O?Neale.

tiger0330

Legend
Rose with another potential hire to revamp the front office. Rumored hiring of Thunder scout Frank Zanin as asst GM of pro personnel to complement Perrin's hire as asst GM of amateur personnel. Different org chart than traditional NBA teams that have one asst GM with different lines of reporting for scouting depts and no one specifically designated to evaluate pro players.

These guys have street cred having worked for successful teams like the Thunder and Jazz.mI like this concept for breaking the typical NBA org chart and if these guys have an eye for talent and chemistry it has potential. Now we need Rose to recruit Giannis.

Nobody disagree that Phil pick the wrong head coaches. Yes it is his job. Krause hired Doug Collin if I remember correctly but you go check.

Phil scouted KP and knew what they were getting in a player. So he just didn't fall into his lap. Early was a 2nd pick as was Jocic and nobody saw being very good. If so 30some other pick over Jocic.

So what if he could get Drummond. The triangle is built around PG, SF and SG not the center.

Ok, Jax feel aslee while scouting. The hiring of C.Gaines covers all the bases for Phil evaluating talent. That was Gaines job.

Zen philosophy doesn't work as an exec. Seriously... Did he get enough time to make it work? Again, how many championship has any of the foremention won? NONE!!

Yes, he did sign Melo, Big Mistake. But he finally realize it and tried to do something about it. Unlike the current management who drafted RJ at #3.

"How hard is it to screw up a top 5 pick"? Seriously... You been HYPING a #3 pick all year that was a screw mistake. We go an average BB player at #3 that isn't transformative like KP. One of those player you said Phil wanted Okafor is a screw up. Guess where he from?
*Dotson is a pretty good gem for a 2nd round pick. Is that good enough.
* Perry didn't pick MRob!! I have told you that numerous time. This was a C. Gaines pick, period. If you think not then answer one question.... Why was Gaines kept on until after the draft? Perry didn't take all of his advice because that dump bunny didn't trade back like Gaines suggested with the Clippers(two 1st rounders).

tiger0330

Legend
This would be a good sign that something positive is happening. Maybe Rose see that this group doesn't know talent like I have bee saying for years.
I'm not going to be critical when Rose didn't let Scott Perry go when I thought he should be. Guess Rose interactions with Scott Perry were positive and Mills bore the blame for the Knicks fiasco and Rose is at least starting the reorganization that is sorely needed by getting rid of some from the Mills regime. Mafra was saying he thought the Knicks would continue to build around young players and their drafts but Rose was brought in to land the big star FAs and that's a model that's worked to win in the NBA.

I'm not going to be critical when Rose didn't let Scott Perry go when I thought he should be. Guess Rose interactions with Scott Perry were positive and Mills bore the blame for the Knicks fiasco and Rose is at least starting the reorganization that is sorely needed by getting rid of some from the Mills regime. Mafra was saying he thought the Knicks would continue to build around young players and their drafts but Rose was brought in to land the big star FAs and that's a model that's worked to win in the NBA.

The moment he was contacted about taking the President job. Rose should have been looking to get rid of Perry. If he was following the team and what has happen over the last two years. He would have seen incompetent at a high level(ex. Tanking in the wrong year when tanking was discourage by the league).

Agreed with building the team with young talent. It just have to be the right talent for the pick. As for Rose landing a big star in FA. I'm not fan of getting someone else stars and bring them in. This statement is a problem for me "That's a model that worked to win in the NBA". You didn't say it. Never any mention of winning a championship!!! Why?? It look like if we win Everybody will be satisfied with just that. I WANT!!

mafra

Legend
At least Rose is putting together an all star team of proven execs who have already excelled at the job we will ask them to fill
That inspires confidence.

I imagine Plan A is to flip asses for a franchise star. Easier said than done. I don?t think Rose jumps at the first available. At least I hope not. Identify what you want... then go get it. And, if that?s not possible, build thru the draft.

Not sure of an all-star team of proven exec's. The one question that I'm always saying is "Where is the BB person". Getting one that know talent unlike Mills and definitely Perry because anybody that will draft Super Mario and RJ is as incompetent as they come.

Plan A?? Why would you flip asses for a franchise star? If you had a problem with Phil needing money what all of those who don't give a damn about the Knicks. Just build the team from within and maybe down the road sign someone under the right circumstances. What's Plan B??

Rose didn't fire Perry and that still a problem for me. Maybe you other guys are ok with it but not me. I don't want Perry making any decision concerning the draft. I want him GONE!! With C. Robinson and gang. They screw up last two draft with their inability to see what was best was to trade back.

mafra

Legend
Cuban still shocked that morons in NY handed him KP for nada

"Very (shocked). It happens in the NBA," Cuban said in the interview.

"It's like the James Harden trade. James Harden got traded from OKC to the Rockets and I'm like, 'Damn, why didn't we even get that offered to us? We weren't in the mix, nobody was. It was Just like one phone call and the Rockets said, 'Yes.' And this was our phone call."

Cuban said the Knicks and Mavs had informal conversations about Porzingis prior to the trade, which is common among teams and GMs, but he didn't think it would ever become a reality.

"GMs talk all the time. It was always, 'We're willing to do this, this and this, if you ever want to give him up. No we're not going to give him up. Just like we used to get calls about Dirk all the time. 'Hey, if you guys will trade Dirk, we'll give you A, B, C, D and F. We're like, 'No, we're not trading Dirk ever.' In this particular case, they changed their mind."

New York traded Porzingis, upon his request, in an effort to open up enough cap space for two max players. The club hoped to sign Kevin Durant and another max star. That didn't work out and the Porzingis trade, to date, has been a lopsided trade in favor of the Mavs.

Team president Steve Mills was reassigned after the Knicks struggled this season in the aftermath of the trade.

Cuban said he's been very happy with Porzingis thus far.

"He's an otherworldly talent. He works hard, he's committed to the team," Cuban said. "I think it's like a lot of jobs for anybody, not just in sports. You go into that first job after you get out of school or you go into your first job, wherever your circumstances are, and you adapt in one way and you see things and then you get to a different set of circumstances and you just have a different perspective. I think KP just needed a change of scenery and he's been phenomenal. Just incredible to have on the team. He's fun, he's funny. He's just a good guy."

Cuban added that former Knick Tim Hardaway Jr. has been vital for Dallas.

"Don't sleep on Timmy Hardaway Jr. Timmy has been the biggest surprise," Cuban said. "We knew Porzingis was good, but Timmy, now he's just catch-and-shoot has been lights out. Quickest release in the NBA. Probably one of the top-3 catch-and-shoot players in all of the NBA now. It took a little while (for him to get acclimated). The previous season, Right after the trade, he wasn't quite confident of his role and we were asking him to do different things than the Knicks did. But with Luka getting him the ball, it's just a sight to see. As much as we love KP, Courtney, etc, getting Timmy has really been a great step for us."

tiger0330

Legend
Cuban still shocked that morons in NY handed him KP for nada

"Very (shocked). It happens in the NBA," Cuban said in the interview.

"It's like the James Harden trade. James Harden got traded from OKC to the Rockets and I'm like, 'Damn, why didn't we even get that offered to us? We weren't in the mix, nobody was. It was Just like one phone call and the Rockets said, 'Yes.' And this was our phone call."

Cuban said the Knicks and Mavs had informal conversations about Porzingis prior to the trade, which is common among teams and GMs, but he didn't think it would ever become a reality.

"GMs talk all the time. It was always, 'We're willing to do this, this and this, if you ever want to give him up. No we're not going to give him up. Just like we used to get calls about Dirk all the time. 'Hey, if you guys will trade Dirk, we'll give you A, B, C, D and F. We're like, 'No, we're not trading Dirk ever.' In this particular case, they changed their mind."

New York traded Porzingis, upon his request, in an effort to open up enough cap space for two max players. The club hoped to sign Kevin Durant and another max star. That didn't work out and the Porzingis trade, to date, has been a lopsided trade in favor of the Mavs.

Team president Steve Mills was reassigned after the Knicks struggled this season in the aftermath of the trade.

Cuban said he's been very happy with Porzingis thus far.

"He's an otherworldly talent. He works hard, he's committed to the team," Cuban said. "I think it's like a lot of jobs for anybody, not just in sports. You go into that first job after you get out of school or you go into your first job, wherever your circumstances are, and you adapt in one way and you see things and then you get to a different set of circumstances and you just have a different perspective. I think KP just needed a change of scenery and he's been phenomenal. Just incredible to have on the team. He's fun, he's funny. He's just a good guy."

Cuban added that former Knick Tim Hardaway Jr. has been vital for Dallas.

"Don't sleep on Timmy Hardaway Jr. Timmy has been the biggest surprise," Cuban said. "We knew Porzingis was good, but Timmy, now he's just catch-and-shoot has been lights out. Quickest release in the NBA. Probably one of the top-3 catch-and-shoot players in all of the NBA now. It took a little while (for him to get acclimated). The previous season, Right after the trade, he wasn't quite confident of his role and we were asking him to do different things than the Knicks did. But with Luka getting him the ball, it's just a sight to see. As much as we love KP, Courtney, etc, getting Timmy has really been a great step for us."
Best thing that came out of that trade for the Knicks is they fired that moron Mills for making that deal and making out like he was a genius in announcing it.

Well, Perry hands are just as dirty, huh?? How in the world do you keep him around. Tanking in the wrong year(last year)! Both should be GONE!

Kiyaman

Legend
How bright are Mills & Perry to NBA B.Ball? Not bright at all, the two has prove to be 20 win season managers the past 3 seasons.

In the KP trade the Knicks received a star veteran center Andre Jordan from the Mavs to mentor the Knicks rookie star center MitchRob for the next 2 to 4 seasons. Mills & Perry are the only Knicks that didn't notice the quick improvement the rookie MitchRob were making on the court when Andre Jordan joined the Knicks.
When KP joined the Mavs, the owner, manager, and the head-coach pulled out the Red-Carpet treatment for KP to remain a Mavs throughout his NBA career.
When Andre Jordan join the Knicks, the owner, management, and head-coach were drinking 120 proof Vodka playing Candy Crush, while dreaming Keven Durant and Kyrie were gonna sign on to the Knicks in July.
Durant & Kyrie talked Andre Jordan into joining them in BROOKLYN !!!

mafra

Legend
As if I needed another excuse to loathe Donnie Walsh. And the man played at UNC with my Godfather!

NY Post

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/05/26/steph-curry-wouldve-saved-knicks-if-warriors-listened-to-dell/amp/

Steph Curry would?ve been Knicks? savior if Warriors conceded to his dad?s request

By Marc Berman / May 26, 2020 | 3:44pm

In a weeklong series, The Post is looking at alternate realities in New York sports. We are examining ?what if? scenarios for our teams, reversals of fortune that would have radically changed not only the franchises themselves but dramatically altered their leagues, too. There are two rules: The scenario must be grounded in reality and have taken place within the last 30 years.

One day, a Steph Curry statue will grace the grounds of Golden State?s Chase Center ? the new San Francisco palace that really could be referred to as ?The House that Curry Built.?

To memorialize their misery at losing the superstar point guard by one slot in the 2009 NBA Draft, the Knicks should erect a dartboard on the Garden marquee with the face of former Warriors GM Larry Riley, the mastermind of the pick.

It was 11 years ago when the Knicks? biggest ?what-if? moment unfolded, as Riley ignored the pleas from Curry?s father, Dell, and his agent, Jeff Austin, and selected Curry at No. 7.

The move has haunted the Knicks as they have won just a single playoff series since then and the Warriors have won three NBA titles. At No. 8, then-Knicks GM Donnie Walsh took Arizona power forward Jordan Hill, who played just 24 games before the Knicks traded him to Houston for cap space.

In the pre-draft process, Curry and his father made it known publicly they wanted the Knicks. Curry preferred to play for speedball master Mike D?Antoni, saying ?This is the system to be in.?

Meanwhile, Golden State had missed the playoffs 14 of the previous 15 seasons. Austin told The Post he made several phone calls to Riley trying to dissuade him from taking Curry.

?Both Steph?s dad and his agent made it obvious to us that they?d rather us not pick him,? Riley told The Post this month. ?I took a little risk. [Their request] made us stop and evaluate what would happen if we did draft him. We fully understood where they were coming from. We did not have the most desirable situation to go into.

Steph Curry desperately wanted Knicks to draft him: 'Thought I was going'

?But he had a good family and felt they?ll do the right thing. I felt Jeff ? if there ever was a thing as a good agent ? he was one. And everything went smoothly after we drafted him. They accepted where they were. There were no issues that flared up.?

?I know New York had a great interest in him,? Riley added. ?I knew at that time [Curry would?ve preferred to be drafted by the Knicks].?

And Walsh hoped the Warriors got cold feet on Curry.

?The truth is I respected Donnie Walsh a great deal,? Riley said. ?Their interest in Steph reaffirmed what we already believed.?
Riley?s resoluteness caused the Knicks to scramble. In an email to The Post, Walsh said he learned the Warriors were going to take Curry before draft night and tried to one-up them.

?I really wanted Stephen in that draft, and when I realized that Golden State was going to take him, I tried to trade up to take him,? Walsh said. ?But I could not get the pick I needed so I looked elsewhere and tried to fill a need.

Stephen was the guy and he obviously would have made a huge difference.?

However, one source familiar with the situation said Walsh never contacted Minnesota, which held picks No. 5 and 6. Another league source says when Golden State selected Curry, a ?huge collective groan? emerged from the Knicks? war room, which indicated the Knicks were calling Golden State?s bluff.

?It didn?t seem Donnie was prepared for any other scenario,? a former Knicks scout said. ?We all love Donnie, but he didn?t seem to have a backup plan and it was a mad scramble to finalize Hill.?

Davidson?s Bob McKillop, who coached Curry from 2006-09, arrived at the Garden Theater expecting Curry to join the Knicks ? the franchise McKillop adored since his childhood in South Ozone Park.

McKillop, who turns 70 next month, didn?t sense the Warriors were serious.

?We?re sitting there in the green room anticipating he was going to go 8,? McKillop said. ?Golden State had not been engaged in any way that we were aware of. But they had [Don] Nelson as coach who has a unique understanding of the game inverting players. He saw Steph as one of the guys who could create chaos for the opponent. But it never got to the point where that was going to happen.?

If that is true, the Warriors have for years engaged in a version of revisionist history. The conspiracy theory floating around the Knicks hallways was the raft of media reports about Curry-to-the-Knicks swayed the Warriors.

?He just had a great game against West Virginia at the Garden,? McKillop said. ?The Garden fell in love with him and he left loving the Garden. New York-to-Charlotte, 1 ?-hour flight. The family could see him. He?d get back whenever he wanted. We thought it definitely was going to be New York.?

The Davidson coach, who grew up rooting for Richie Guerin, Willie Naulls and Kenny Sears, remembers being awestruck when former Knicks star Dick McGuire and his son, Scott, both scouts, came to a Davidson practice. They sat courtside early in Curry?s freshman year in 2006.

?This was before he had an illustrious freshman year,? McKillop said. ?Dick said ?Steph?s an NBA player and he?s going to be a really good one.? There was tremendous buzz from the Knicks people.?

Riley denies the conspiracy theory ? one that also includes Nelson seeking to ruin the Knicks? dream as payback for his 1996 firing.

?He exploded on the scene in the NCAA Tournament,? Riley said. ?And many people still had all these criticisms ? he?s too small and is a two-guard, not a point guard. I wanted to see if he could take some punishment.?

Riley said he scouted a Purdue-Davidson game in Indianapolis. Purdue tried to rough up Curry, who responded.

?He took everything they threw at him,? Riley said. ?I walked out of the arena saying this kid could play. If we get a chance to draft him, I?m really interested. I was sold in December.?

Curry?s first three seasons in Golden State, though, were unspectacular and injury-riddled. Incumbent point guard Monta Ellis and best buddy, Stephen Jackson, were vocally opposed to the Curry pick.

?He won those guys over,? Riley said. ?He overcome that hurdle to start of his career.?

Would Curry have overcome the cauldron of the world?s biggest media market?

?[D?Antoni] would?ve been good for Steph,? McKillop said. ?Look what he did for [James] Harden and [Steve] Nash. He would?ve thrived.

And who doesn?t get enough credit for what Steph?s done is Dell. He?s been the rock-solid foundation on which Steph built his career ? not just from a technical standpoint but emotional standpoint and having him be a great teammate and leader. And once [Warriors coach] Mark [Jackson] gave him the keys to the car, it went down the super highway to success ever since then.?

Drafting Curry may have put the Knicks on track to becoming a marquee destination for someone like LeBron James in 2010. Or, some league insiders wonder if he Curry would have been packaged in the 2011 Carmelo Anthony deal before he had blossomed as a generational talent who revolutionized the game with his 30-foot 3-pointers.

And ?what if? the Warriors? Riley got scared off by the Curry camp?s request?

?We had to make that evaluation if they were going to cause us trouble,? Riley said. ?We were comfortable they would not.?

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Season is over for the Knicks with the 22 team format when the NBA season restarts in Disneyworld. The draft and the next coach are the big decisions for the Knicks going forward and are discussed below from the NY Post.
2020 is normal in one regard: the NBA playoffs will not include the Knicks.
As long as the proposed 22-team restart format to the NBA season gets approved by the Board of Governors as expected on Thursday, the Knicks’ season is over. The Post previously reported this as a very likely scenario. Instead, all the franchise’s attention will now turn to the NBA Draft Lottery — a date has yet to be set for that — and the hiring of a coach by new president Leon Rose.
The teams with the three worst regular season records – the Warriors, Cavaliers and Timberwolves – will all have a 14 percent chance of winning the lottery, as the odds remain the same from last year’s new format. Right behind them are the Hawks, Pistons and Knicks. The Hawks have a 12.5 percent shot at the No. 1 pick, the Pistons 10.5 percent and Knicks, with their 21-45 record, will be at nine percent and the sixth-best odds to land the top player in the 2020 NBA Draft, which is expected sometime in October now. Last year, the Knicks were one of the three teams with the best odds to land the top pick, but wound up selecting third, and taking RJ Barrett.
The Knicks are one of eight teams that won’t be included in the proposed restart at Disney’s Wide World of Sports in Orlando, Fla. But those teams may take part in a four-to-five team fall league and training camp to remain relevant in their respective markets, as ESPN reported has been discussed. The league doesn’t want teams going from March to December – when next season could start — without playing any games.
Submit your Knicks questions here to be answered in an upcoming Post mailbag
If this plan does come to fruition, it’s uncertain who would play for the Knicks and who would coach them. The belief is Rose will move on from interim coach Mike Miller, though he may receive an interview and is expected to stay in the organization in some capacity. The Knicks could have eight free agents, with five players – Bobby Portis, Taj Gibson, Wayne Ellington, Elfrid Payton and Reggie Bullock — holding team options and Allonzo Trier, Moe Harkless and Damyean Dotson guaranteed to be free agents.

mafra

Legend
Ian Begley, SNY.tv | Twitter |

The Knicks' coaching search may officially start later this week.

The NBA Board of Governors is expected to approve a plan Thursday to re-start the season that doesn't include New York, according to ESPN.

Once the Knicks know that they won't be playing any more games in 2019-20, they will likely start to interview candidates for the job.

With that in mind, we reached out to one current NBA coach and one former NBA coach to gauge their thoughts on some Knicks candidates.

Below are their thoughts on how Tom Thibodeau would fit in New York...

SCHEMES

"He's an elite defensive coach. There's no question. Those guys will be playing hard for him and, if they follow his scheme, they'll defend the pick-and-roll well. They'll take away drives and control the paint. His schemes are excellent, but as we saw in Minnesota, the schemes alone can't offset lack of effort from players or subpar defenders. I think RJ Barrett has the frame and athleticism to be a talented defender. Mitchell Robinson has a ton of upside on that end as a shot-blocker. Tom should be able to get the best out of those two and whoever else they put on the court."

The Knicks of the 1990s -- when Thibodeau was an assistant here -- were known for their intensity on defense. They've struggled on that end of the floor for most of the past 20 years. If improving on defense is a priority for the Knicks, Thibodeau has the credentials to make it happen. His Bulls teams ranked no lower than 11th in defensive efficiency.

What about the other end of the floor?

"On offense, the Knicks in general need to shoot more threes and open things up," the former coach said. "A lot of that depends on personnel, of course. I'd be curious to see who Tom brings in on his staff. Hiring someone who is creative on offense and has a modern view of the game seems like a key to me.

"If you have weaknesses, the person sitting next to you better do that job well."

PLAYER DEVELOPMENT

The Knicks began last season with the league's fifth-youngest roster, based on the average age of players on the roster. The team has three selections within the first 38 picks in the 2020 Draft. So if Thibodeau is hired, he'll probably be tasked with helping many young Knicks reach their potential, particularly Barrett.

Thibodeau's Bulls teams had several player-development success stories (Jimmy Butler and Taj Gibson as examples). So his track record is strong. But the head coach is only as good as his surrounding staff when it comes to player development, the veteran coach we spoke to said.

"He's got to hire the best people for player development. Target the top-five teachers of the game who are available and go after them," the coach said.

Knicks interim head coach Mike Miller is respected by many in the organization for the way he and his staffs have developed players in the G League. That's one reason why people at Madison Square Garden would like to see Miller retained in some fashion if Thibodeau -- or another coach -- is hired by Rose, as SNY reported in March.

Video: What are the odds that the Knicks draft LaMelo Ball?

PLAYING TIME/PRACTICE TIME

One of the biggest criticisms of Thibodeau is that his approach to practices and playing time wear players out. Whether this is a valid criticism or not depends on who you ask and their perspective on the matter. In a series of recent interviews, Thibodeau has said that he learned a lot about practice approaches while visiting with teams over the past several months. If you listen to those interviews, you come away with the impression that Thibodeau may adjust his approach to practice in order to keep his players as fresh as possible over the course of the regular season and the playoffs.

"My experience this past year in going around and visiting a number of different teams and seeing it -- and it's been evolving this way for probably the last three or four years -- there's different ways to manage practice," Thibodeau said in an interview with First Take.

"There's load management, there's sports scientists, there's situations in which your young guys are practicing a little bit more and your older vets are doing less and you're separating the two, and you're bringing them in toward the end of practice to do whatever needs to be done to prepare for that next game. So I think utilizing all the resources that you now have, understanding how to use them, how to manage that, has become critical. I think player care, player wellness, those things are prioritized. I think the big thing is, what does it take to be successful in the playoffs? And if we look at that, you start the season with those things in mind and prepare for the entire season."

Regardless of how he approaches playing time/practice time, several players have relayed that Thibodeau's work ethic as a coach is impressive. "He's always in the gym; first one in there all the time," one said. "He doesn't stop working."

That may not mean much to you, but it could have an impact on Thibodeau's players if he ends up coaching in New York.

APPROACH WITH PLAYERS

"That hard edge, it doesn't work now. In 2008, maybe it worked some of the time. In this generation, I'm positive that it doesn't work. In the NBA to be an elite coach, you've got to have an edge but you can't be crazy. To coach players and hold them accountable you have to find that balance. You don't compromise your authority, but this generation communicates differently."

One of the narratives around Thibodeau is that he is tough on his players. Again, whether that's accurate or not depends on who you talk to and their perspective on the matter. Thibodeau's approach, according to some reports, rubbed young players like Karl Towns the wrong way in Minnesota. Again, only Towns, Thibodeau and a few others know whether those reports are accurate. But the veteran NBA coach we spoke to said that a head coach's most important job in the league today is to "figure out how to coach your best player."

"Without babying him, you've got to spend time with him -- locker room, office, stands, outside of the work setting. (Clippers coach) Doc Rivers is a master at that," the coach said. "You've got to have a daily conversation. When your star is playing hard for you, everything else falls into place. Again, I'm not saying you have to be subservient or compromise yourself. But the way to connect to players today has changed. Be old school with your fundamentals, because those haven't changed, but be new-school as a communicator."

Knicks veteran Taj Gibson played for Thibodeau with the Bulls, where the head coach produced the second-best winning percentage in franchise history (behind only Phil Jackson). Gibson was asked about Thibodeau in February due to the coach's connection with Knicks president Leon Rose. Gibson was quick to praise interim head coach Mike Miller and didn't want his thoughts to be seen as an endorsement of Thibodeau. But he strongly suggested that Thibodeau would adapt from his experiences in Chicago and Minnesota.

"If you want to win, he can do it. If the main goal is about winning and developing guys and pushing guys to the limit, (he can do it). Not everybody is capable of (accepting) the coaching. But it's proof in the pudding. You look at a lot of the guys he's had over the years; a lot of them was hard-nosed and a lot of them give him his due credit," Gibson said.

"But everybody can adjust (their coaching style). I'm sure he's learned from his past stints with Minnesota and just like everybody else, everybody's human (and can adjust). Everybody learns to (by past experience) to have better relationships."

In March, we reported that agents and other coaches with a vested interest in the Knicks' coaching search said they believed Thibodeau is the most likely hire if Rose decides not to retain Miller as head coach. Rose and Thibodeau have a close relationship. Nothing has happened since then to alter the thinking of those coaches and agents.

Other outlets have reported that Thibodeau is the favorite for job, which is essentially saying the same thing. Miller and former Nets head coach Kenny Atkinson will likely interview for the opening. It's unclear if the Knicks plan to interview other coaches.

Those interviews are expected to begin once New York has clarity on the rest of the season.

mafra

Legend

The Knicks have hired New Orleans Pelicans scout Alex Kline, a high-ranking team source told SNY.

Kline, 26, has been a scout with New Orleans for the past four seasons, with a focus on college scouting.

The Athletic reported that Kline will work under Knicks assistant GM Walt Perrin, who will be responsible for college scouting.

Kline is well-respected by team personnel from across the league.

He joins VP of basketball strategy Brock Aller, Perrin and assistant GM Frank Zanin (pro scouting) as Rose's front-office additions. Rose also retained Scott Perry as general manager. Perry has a contract for the 2020-21 season.

Kline was named to Forbes' 30 under 30 list for sports when he was just 19 years old. He began covering recruiting as a teen, created a successful network and following, and earned a position with the Pelicans.

Kline's remarkable backstory, detailed here by Mike Jensen of the Philadelphia Inquirer and Forbes' Adam Zagoria, includes a charity game in honor of his late mother, Mary, that featured Karl-Anthony Towns, Donovan Mitchell and many other current NBA players.

The articles show that Kline has strong relationships with coaches and players from the grassroots/high school level to the pro level, which can help the Knicks in gaining a 360-degree understanding of potential draft picks, free agents or trade targets.

Rose still has decisions to make on other members of the front office and scouting department who were hired by former president Steve Mills and Perry. As of earlier this month, he was continuing to do due diligence on the current staff while dealing with day-to-day operations of the club.

Opposing executives had anticipated that there would be further changes to staffing in the Knicks' front office and scouting departments (something that Aller was expected to help evaluate).

One person who has worked under previous regimes, Allan Houston, is still considered a strong candidate to remain with club under Rose, as the New York Daily News first reported.

Houston has a strong relationship with Rose and his business partner, William 'World Wide Wes' Wesley, who is widely expected to have an advisory role with the club. Houston had been traveling with the team more regularly after Rose was hired.

tiger0330

Legend
Didn't know Alan Houston had ties with Rose, Rose and Wes probably represented Houston and made a ton of money from him. I was in favor of dumping him as part of the housecleaning but their past relationship probably means he stays, I'd let him keep the job of GM for Westchester if he's going to stay.

mafra

Legend

The Knicks have hired CAA's William 'World Wide Wes' Wesley as an executive vice president and senior advisor to team president Leon Rose.

The organization formally announced the move on Wednesday morning.

"We are very excited to announce the hiring of William Wesley, someone that I have known for over 40 years and consider to be family," Rose said in a statement. "He is one of the most well-connected and respected people in the basketball community and he will be a tremendous asset and resource to both myself and the New York Knicks."