Knicks Insider: "All Things Knicks"

paris401

Starter
Better question is why the need for the sudden policy change? MSG could have written to Lee, email, text, or called him.
T/QUOTE]

well according to the garden, they did contact spike... SO... lets see the email/s, text/s.... etc .. asking him to use the 'plantation ' entrance.....

i will say i don't like spike...BUT... this 'dick' is the world's biggest knick fan... and any bizz-man would /should roll out the red carpet for him....but ofcourse jimmy isn't a bizz-man... he acquired msg from daddy... and he won't sell, nor can he be forced to sell...

tiger0330

Legend

mafra

Legend
He's had a great season and at an age where people start talking about players declining athletically, he shocked everyone by dunking in the ASG. Doesn't really rely on athleticism anyway so the things he brings to the table the Knicks could use. I could see OKC agreeing to a deal for JR, Taj and DSJ and draft picks for him.

If Knicks send a first rounder for Paul I?ll officially stop being a fan.

Look, they want to send JR and DSJ, along with a second. Fine. But, CP3 makes 40 mil a year... trading for him means no Giannis run after 2021.

I get wanting CP3 and Melo, to have them teach the kids.... while giving fans something to root for as they battle for 8th seed. But they can?t surrender much for a guy they could?ve had last summer for nada!

I would be willing to forfeit free agent run at 2021 class for CP3... but I draw the line at first rounders

tiger0330

Legend
If Knicks send a first rounder for Paul I’ll officially stop being a fan.

Look, they want to send JR and DSJ, along with a second. Fine. But, CP3 makes 40 mil a year... trading for him means no Giannis run after 2021.

I get wanting CP3 and Melo, to have them teach the kids.... while giving fans something to root for as they battle for 8th seed. But they can’t surrender much for a guy they could’ve had last summer for nada!

I would be willing to forfeit free agent run at 2021 class for CP3... but I draw the line at first rounders
They would probably waive Taj, DSJ is a bust so it's essentially a CP3 for JR trade without draft picks. I'd give up one of those DAL picks, they're like 2nd round picks anyway. Everybody around here and a lot of others wants to move JR anyway so why not for CP3 unless a better deal comes the Knicks way.

Chris Paul?s response to the rumors of the Knicks possibly trading for him was that this is somehow all a way to take attention off of the Spike Lee situation. Hmm. Ok. Nevermind then.

tiger0330

Legend
With the Nets looking for a new HC, the same names popping up for the job for the Knicks are popping up for the Nets job Thibs, JVG, MJ etc. I hope none of these guys pull a KD/KI and pick the Nets over the Knicks but it’s a distinct possibility with the Nets having the better roster. I got a feeling Marks will give the nod to his former teammate Udoka for the job if Vaughn falls flat as the interim though.

With the Nets looking for a new HC, the same names popping up for the job for the Knicks are popping up for the Nets job Thibs, JVG, MJ etc. I hope none of these guys pull a KD/KI and pick the Nets over the Knicks but it’s a distinct possibility with the Nets having the better roster. I got a feeling Marks will give the nod to his former teammate Udoka for the job if Vaughn falls flat as the interim though.

No way Kyrie and Durant want Thibs or JVG. Their guy is going to be Mark Jackson from that list. Otherwise, they will bring in Tyronn Lue.

Kiyaman

Legend
Chris Paul’s response to the rumors of the Knicks possibly trading for him was that this is somehow all a way to take attention off of the Spike Lee situation. Hmm. Ok. Nevermind then.

So True .. the Knicks had the best opportunity in last July off-season to trade for CP3 from Houston.
The Knicks advertisement dept. are gonna put out a lot of gossip-stories to block-out Spike Lee Boycott on Dolan's Knicks SMH

mafra

Legend
During an appearance earlier this week on the ?Knicks Fan TV? podcast, in which he said Dolan is ?scared? of him, Oakley was asked if he thought Van Gundy would be a good selection as the next Knicks head coach.

?? ADVERTISEMENT ??

?With these guys, a Jeff-type coach?,?? Oakley said. ?If I know Jeff correctly ? and I played for him and know how he coached ? I think it would be tough to come back and coach young guys. What he believes in for his offense and defense in this day and age, it?s totally different.??

Oakley doesn?t think Van Gundy would have the patience for the millennial NBAer.

?You can make three, four turnovers and miss four free throws in the first few minutes and take bad shots,?? Oakley said. ?You look at these teams. Out of 80 shots, 30 shots are bad.

?Basketball has changed. You?re not getting the 1990s back. The game has a totally different atmosphere. You got to build a team with leadership and players willing to sacrifice. These kids don?t care about basketball. All they care about is getting the check, playing video games and the social media.?

Nor would Oakley consider his former teammate and Georgetown coach Patrick Ewing, taking more digs at the Big Fella as a teammate. Oakley has ripped Ewing in the past for not having his back after he got tossed and arrested at the Garden three years ago.

?I don?t deal with Patrick,?? Oakley told the podcast. ?He was one of the most difficult guys I?ve played with. I played with Patrick 10 years. He should know me. I should know him. It was a hard 10 years because he?s not easy to play with ? high maintenance.??

Oakley isn?t sure new president Leon Rose can change the Knicks? fortunes anytime soon.

?You can get this player or that player, but if you don?t have good chemistry, it doesn?t matter,?? Oakley said. ?When you have big guys shooting 3s, that isn?t really basketball. It should be inside out. It?s hard to build a team now. It?s not just the Knicks. A lot of teams are going through it.

Advertisement

?It?s going to take years (for the Knicks). It?s like driving from New York to Texas. It?s a long road. It?s not just (Dolan). They don?t have talent any more.??

“Basketball has changed. You’re not getting the 1990s back. The game has a totally different atmosphere. You got to build a team with leadership and players willing to sacrifice. These kids don’t care about basketball. All they care about is getting the check, playing video games and the social media.”

“You can get this player or that player, but if you don’t have good chemistry, it doesn’t matter,’’ Oakley said. “When you have big guys shooting 3s, that isn’t really basketball. It should be inside out. It’s hard to build a team now. It’s not just the Knicks. A lot of teams are going through it.

The above are quotes from Oakley. These are same things I been saying the whole season especially the last quote. That word 'Chemistry' always will come up with people that know 'Real BB'. It will be said over and over again. Oakley is talking about Knicks not having good chemistry. I have said that there are too many odd/sqaure pieces for round holes. This is especially true with the starting 5 from the start of the season.

Would love for him to give an evalution on each player on the Knicks team. He called out the "
millennial NBAer". Wonder why he said "
millennial NBAer" and not "
millennial NBAers"? He was talking about one
millennial NBAer and the chemistry on this team and it not good.

Kiyaman

Legend
During an appearance earlier this week on the ?Knicks Fan TV? podcast, in which he said Dolan is ?scared? of him, Oakley was asked if he thought Van Gundy would be a good selection as the next Knicks head coach.

?? ADVERTISEMENT ??

?With these guys, a Jeff-type coach?,?? Oakley said. ?If I know Jeff correctly ? and I played for him and know how he coached ? I think it would be tough to come back and coach young guys. What he believes in for his offense and defense in this day and age, it?s totally different.??

Oakley doesn?t think Van Gundy would have the patience for the millennial NBAer.

?You can make three, four turnovers and miss four free throws in the first few minutes and take bad shots,?? Oakley said. ?You look at these teams. Out of 80 shots, 30 shots are bad.

?Basketball has changed. You?re not getting the 1990s back. The game has a totally different atmosphere. You got to build a team with leadership and players willing to sacrifice. These kids don?t care about basketball. All they care about is getting the check, playing video games and the social media.?

Nor would Oakley consider his former teammate and Georgetown coach Patrick Ewing, taking more digs at the Big Fella as a teammate. Oakley has ripped Ewing in the past for not having his back after he got tossed and arrested at the Garden three years ago.

?I don?t deal with Patrick,?? Oakley told the podcast. ?He was one of the most difficult guys I?ve played with. I played with Patrick 10 years. He should know me. I should know him. It was a hard 10 years because he?s not easy to play with ? high maintenance.??

Oakley isn?t sure new president Leon Rose can change the Knicks? fortunes anytime soon.

?You can get this player or that player, but if you don?t have good chemistry, it doesn?t matter,?? Oakley said. ?When you have big guys shooting 3s, that isn?t really basketball. It should be inside out. It?s hard to build a team now. It?s not just the Knicks. A lot of teams are going through it.

Advertisement

?It?s going to take years (for the Knicks). It?s like driving from New York to Texas. It?s a long road. It?s not just (Dolan). They don?t have talent any more.??

To to BAD!
Slow bus Dolan, didn't see the WIN-WIN sign again .. a chance to turn a accidental arrest in MSG into a hiring of an ex-Knicks player to the Knicks poor no-defensive effort coaching-staff.
Oakley's resume say's "he was a student under coach JVG, and coach Pat Riley, and coach Phil Jackson, and still a Knicks fan SMH
Oakley's comments sounds like he been a glue follower of the NBA, and the Knicks.

Dolan should've never let Pat Riley quit after the FINALS !!!
The Knicks worth would be triple its worth today

tiger0330

Legend
Watching those games from the ‘90s is a lot of fun and it’s an exciting brand of basketball but the analytics guys are right, match up those teams with the teams of today, they’ll get run off the court. Major reason, the 3 pt shot has greater value, 3 pt shots shot at the league average 36pct. is like shooting the 2 pt shot at 54 pct. League avg shooting pct which consisted of mostly 2 pointers in the ‘90s was generally below 50 pct, so you can see the scoring difference the 3 pt shot makes. Another reason are the rule changes favoring the shooter, the “landing rule” where you have to give the shooter space to land was a major rule change favoring the 3 pt shooter. Oakley just another old timer living in a different age if you ask me.

There one problem with what you just said and that is defense. The 90's played defense!! There isn't going to be wide open 3's being taken. It is going to be a hand in your face and the shot contexted. The 90's would kill them in the post. They would be in foul trouble before the first half ended.

What Oakley gave us is an bleak view of what is in store for this team. He telling you that the millenial NBAer(note again just one) is going to be a problem. This is coming from some that knows the game. That is the reason why it is so important for Rose to fire Perry and get someone that knows 'Real BB'. You guys in here might get tired of me saying this to you over and over again. I'm tired of the same old thing putting people in position of authority that don't know nothing about the game.

tiger0330

Legend
There one problem with what you just said and that is defense. The 90's played defense!! There isn't going to be wide open 3's being taken. It is going to be a hand in your face and the shot contexted. The 90's would kill them in the post. They would be in foul trouble before the first half ended.

What Oakley gave us is an bleak view of what is in store for this team. He telling you that the millenial NBAer(note again just one) is going to be a problem. This is coming from some that knows the game. That is the reason why it is so important for Rose to fire Perry and get someone that knows 'Real BB'. You guys in here might get tired of me saying this to you over and over again. I'm tired of the same old thing putting people in position of authority that don't know nothing about the game.
You can’t play defense like they played back in the 90’s. Hand check rule that doesn’t allow you to touch guys on the perimeter or hold guys off in the paint with your hand on their back, defensive 3 second, face guarding, flagrant fouls all have given the offensive player the advantage. Even guys that played in that era like Ron Boone acknowledge that the game is less physical today than back when they played because of the rules changes.

Saw a quote from Ron Boone who said the fans want to see 125-120 games not the 95-91 games we played.

Kiyaman

Legend
You can?t play defense like they played back in the 90?s. Hand check rule that doesn?t allow you to touch guys on the perimeter or hold guys off in the paint with your hand on their back, defensive 3 second, face guarding, flagrant fouls all have given the offensive player the advantage. Even guys that played in that era like Ron Boone acknowledge that the game is less physical today than back when they played because of the rules changes.

Saw a quote from Ron Boone who said the fans want to see 125-120 games not the 95-91 games we played.

:gony::gony:
This soft NBA generation would get swept by one of the 90's teams under the old rules.
And now under the new rules that made the NBA so soft today, would have a problem trying to win a series from any of the 1 to 4 top seeded teams in the 90's.
What you forgot were the top winning teams back in the 90's, the head-coaches back then expected and looked forward to over 70% of their 8 to 9 man rotation committing up to 4 or more fouls per postseason game. The reason why a lot of NBA teams in the 80's and 90's practice more on their FT shooting so the team would average above 70% at the FT line, rather than have the team spend all day practicing 3-ball shots.

You are right a bout fans today wanting to see a high-scoring NBA game (125-120) .. The same type of high scoring games fans used to watch in the 1990's All-Star games having Larry Bird vs Magic Johnson or Mike Jordan vs bum western conference all-stars, where both East and West teams score above 120 points in a 48 minute game that had 3 minute of defense.

The average NBA team today shoots over 35 three-ball shots per game .. and their FGA are atrocious today.
Oakley said it best, the average NBA team shoots 80 shots, and 30 of those shots are bad decision-making shots.
Shooting 3-ball shots at the start or the middle of the first quarter is STUPID! Butt .. if that's what the fans want
I like the 80's and 90's NBA teams a heluva lot better than today NBA teams, because the NBA had high flying running teams averaging 110 points (Magic Lakers), and the NBA had great ball-movement Half-Court offensive teams scoring from the perimeter or down low (Bird Celtics).

mafra

Legend
Young and Curry would be man-handled by the 90s style game. Heck, even under today?s rules.... guys like Harden can barely handle post season officiating.

tiger0330

Legend
How many times have we seen guys get called for flagrant fouls and the announcers say those fouls that are called would have been play on’s 20 years ago. Look even in the post season the officiating is tougher, you can’t push guys around or commit a hard foul, that landing space rule is bigger than people make it out to be because you can’t get up on the 3 pt shooter like you used to and face guarding makes a technique that Shane Battier employed a foul. Shooters have the advantage not only having a better chance of making a 3 they’re are probably more points scored on foul shots from fouls on guys taking 3 pt shots than ever.

Analytics make a lot of sense as I posted and do you really think the league would be going in the direction they’re going if the old NBA game had any chance of producing a championship. Post players are also a dying breed, being forced out of the game, being second string players or revamping their games completely like BLo. A guy like KP sees that and says why waste time developing a post game when all I need is to turn and shoot because no one can block my shot and the long ball is where I’ll make my dough.