Knicks Insider: "All Things Knicks"

Broadway

All Star
I made a thread dedicated to some particulars only specific to our team and what could be viewed as somewhat inside information(Tig could end up being the biggest contributor with his ESPN Insider membership for example) or hot takes from interviews that maybe didn't make it mainstream or get covered extensively. Knicks rumors could go here too as to keep it separate from the rest of league news. Really whatever you guys feel like contributing if you feel it fits

One thing I think applies are inside footage of Knicks practices and what takes place within. Here is a snippet of a recent practice

Looks like our guys have a sense of competitive edge but what I took from this video is who was playing with who. I see Knits-Mudiay-THJR-T-Will-KO, this is a lineup I want to see more of in terms of team structure. The other unit was Burke-Jack-Dotson-Thomas-Kornet. Maybe Kanter and Beas got rest or were subs with both units not sure, just a little something of interest

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
So far the Knicks 24-38 record are headed toward a lottery pick in June draft.
What players will the Knicks draft?
What players will the Knicks keep?
What will the Knicks do bout improving the coaching-staff?

The 5 players I would like to see in a lineup together throughout the remaining season are ...
PG- Burke
SG- Frank
SF- Troy
PF- Hicks
C - Quinn
I actually believe these 5 bench players (defense make the best offense) could beat all the starting 5 lineups coach Horn has put together in the past two seasons.

I been waiting two seasons for our coach Horn to create a 2nd unit lineup of 5 bench players to have depth to be a .500 team .. but I guess that's not in any of the memo"s Hornacek receive from our TANKING front-office.
I'm getting tired of seeing a sorry noncohesive starting 5 Knicks lineup on the court each season that have a mediocre offense/defense of nonco-existing players receive the majority of playingtime throughout the season.

tiger0330

Legend
ESPN Insider on Noah and Jack potential buyouts. I don't see Noah going anywhere before the off-season not even to the Wolves with Thibs there, his lack of playing time along with a deteriorated skill set doesn't warrant any playoff team signing him for depth. Jack has proven he can provide depth for a playoff team and could be moved if he asks for a chance to play for someone else.

2. Joakim Noah (New York)

Rarely will a player who has two more seasons on his contract while being owed $42.2 million and appear on the list of possible players bought out of their contract. However, with Noah and the Knicks, a marriage that started in July 2016 with a $73 million contract is coming to an abrupt end. The only question will be when Noah is bought out -- before March 1 or this summer. Because of the rise in the minimum salary, Noah could leave $5 million on the table, the minimum amount he would earn in 2018-19 and 2019-20, and not lose any money. Even with injuries the past two seasons, Noah would still garner a minimum guaranteed contract as a free agent. In addition, Noah could put a set-off in his contract that would reduce any future earnings against the buyout amount. For the Knicks, there is no rush to do a buyout without a compromise. While $5 million on paper looks appealing, that number essentially is the amount still owed for this season and would do little to create savings from the $18.5 and $19.3 million left on his contract in 2018-19 and 2019.

6. Jarrett Jack (New York)

Jack moves to a possible buyout candidate based on the crowded backcourt in New York after the addition of Emmanuel Mudiay. With New York not in playoff contention, the focus for Knicks management the rest of the season should be on Mudiay and rookie Frank Ntilikina.

Jack signed a $2.3 million contract before the season, has started 55 games and would be a solid addition for a team looking for a backup point guard for the playoffs. As in Afflalo's case, there would be no cost associated with New York outright releasing Jack to join a playoff team.

No reason to keep Jack on the roster. Noah, on the other hand, either needs to give back money or I say we wait him out.

paris401

Starter
No reason to keep Jack on the roster. Noah, on the other hand, either needs to give back money or I say we wait him out.

i think noah has said he wants every dime he is owed... i guess u cut him n stretch out his contract.. not sure how that works, but the other alternative is keeping him on the bench... thats the beauty of philjax.. even after he's gone, the smell of marijuana is still in the air...

i think noah has said he wants every dime he is owed... i guess u cut him n stretch out his contract.. not sure how that works, but the other alternative is keeping him on the bench... thats the beauty of philjax.. even after he's gone, the smell of marijuana is still in the air...

He can?t have it both ways. If we cut him, he gets to sign somewhere else for more money. He needs to at least give back the expected amount that he would get from signing for another team.

Broadway

All Star

The SP is out to 5yrs of whatever we owe him and that would be our cap hit. $42.2/5 comes to $8.44mil cap hit. The number could be better if a buyout were agreed to. I guess today we'll find out something if he wants to be on a playoff team

paris401

Starter
with what he has shown, i doubt (my opinion) any playoff team wants him... we'll see if he continues with his all (the$$$) or nothing...

tiger0330

Legend

We signed Eddie Curry to a 6yr/60M deal and that was considered one of the worst deals in NBA history even though he had a career year scoring 20ppg his second year. The money isn't quite the same because the team cap has doubled over the years but Noah's signing has to be right up there with the worst signings ever.

PJ was a bozo, it's not like Noah was coming off a career year in CHI that you needed to sign him to a big contract and for 4 years!!!

Broadway

All Star
Hmmmmmmm!!!

I said we should be playing Dotson more that means sit THJR more. I fear we'll end up giving him away like WHG. Funny how we're treating the Phil guys

Kiyaman

Legend
We signed Eddie Curry to a 6yr/60M deal and that was considered one of the worst deals in NBA history even though he had a career year scoring 20ppg his second year. The money isn't quite the same because the team cap has doubled over the years but Noah's signing has to be right up there with the worst signings ever.

PJ was a bozo, it's not like Noah was coming off a career year in CHI that you needed to sign him to a big contract and for 4 years!!!

We never should have traded our center Mutombo for bum Crawful to the Bulls to be without a center.
We never should have traded our center Robin Lopez for a retired Iso-Rose to the Bulls to be without a center.
Dolan Dolan Dolan type of decision-making !!!

paris401

Starter
just watch him meandering upcourt on "D"... no sense of urgency... as other teams have found.... he is not a keeper....

tiger0330

Legend
This is probably why he's been a journeyman, possesses talent but simply doesn't work hard enough

Meanwhile the other guy we were considering signing Dougie McBuckets is shooting 57% from beyond the arc since we shipped him to the Mavs. I thought Beas had earned a consideration to be resigned this off season but the Knicks probably pass now.

Broadway

All Star
Meanwhile the other guy we were considering signing Dougie McBuckets is shooting 57% from beyond the arc since we shipped him to the Mavs. I thought Beas had earned a consideration to be resigned this off season but the Knicks probably pass now.

Pretty good game last night, he is shootin that thang

Kiyaman

Legend

Beasley is a scoring SF
and McBucket are a hustling SF
Coach Hornacek gave both SF a playingtime role they will fail in this season .. By forcing them to perform at the PF position/stretch 4

It looks like Mavs coach Rick Carlisle are going to make McBucket a keeper for next season.

tiger0330

Legend
Mark Stein writing about the Knicks firing Hornacek and bringing in Mark Jackson or David Blatt. Only a rumor started by one guy but to me its not a matter of IF but when. I would part ways very soon after the season ends even before hiring anyone. Look if he was like Pop winning despite not having Kawhi all season and other key injuries Horn would deserve to stay but he isn't winning and Perry should want his own guy in his place. My choice would be JVG or Fizdale not MJ and no to Blatt imo.

Jeff Hornacek has one year left on his contract, but good luck finding league observers who believe he will survive to see it out.
The former Knicks guard Mark Jackson keeps coming up as a hot name to succeed Hornacek, amid a growing belief the Knicks' new front-office chief - Scott Perry - will want to install his own hand-picked choice heading into next season.
It's difficult to fault Hornacek for much of the chaos that has engulfed the Knicks during his two seasons in charge. But there's no avoiding the fact he was a Phil Jackson selection, which could well doom him now that the organization seems intent on cutting every non-Porzingian tie to the Phil era as possible.
Another name to file away here: The former Cleveland coach David Blatt has a longstanding relationship with the Knicks' president Steve Mills dating to their days as Princeton teammates. You wonder if that'll finally earn Blatt his first meaningful look from an N.B.A. franchise since the Cavaliers fired him in January 2016 while sporting a record of 30-11.