Knicks Insider: "All Things Knicks"

mafra

Legend
Sounds like it?ll cost at least a DAL pick and Knox to get CP3.

I think Rose will only move on CP3 (and Melo) if he gets a ?star? or two via trades...

Rose May feel like Knox, Knits, DJ and all are trash... he may think best way to develop MRob and RJ and this year?s 8th pick is to surround them with veteran leadership and talent.

Trade for a ?star? and then CP3/Melo have value for this roster, while filling it out with a Morris or Woods in free agency.

Is this better route then signing a FVF and keeping assets?

Would be typical KNicks to trade away the cupboard and end up with aged CP3 and an injured VO.

tiger0330

Legend
Sounds like it’ll cost at least a DAL pick and Knox to get CP3.

I think Rose will only move on CP3 (and Melo) if he gets a “star” or two via trades...

Rose May feel like Knox, Knits, DJ and all are trash... he may think best way to develop MRob and RJ and this year’s 8th pick is to surround them with veteran leadership and talent.

Trade for a “star” and then CP3/Melo have value for this roster, while filling it out with a Morris or Woods in free agency.

Is this better route then signing a FVF and keeping assets?

Would be typical KNicks to trade away the cupboard and end up with aged CP3 and an injured VO.
I just don’t like the risk of getting an aged star esp a cap busting one and a guy like Dip that Bobby Marks said he has doubts that Dip can get back to playing like an AS again. You would hope that with the new mgt. we could avoid what happened in the past.

mafra

Legend
Uh-OH... I might puke... I already have 1 foot in the MAVS fandom, with Luka and KP.... a massive haul for an over-the-hill, overpaid vet, on his last legs, who had a decent few weeks during a bubble... whose price is now skyrocketed, like buying bottle water at Disney....

Again, normally, you get picks to take in a contract like this...

If we deal young players and picks for this, I may officially retire my 4 decade NyK fandom.

With that in mind, Jonathan Macri once again updated us on the omnipresent Chris Paul trade rumors in his newsletter. (NOTE: Macri is going to start charging soon, and I feel obliged to pay, because he?s become one of the best in the game at disseminating Knicks news.)

I?ve been told by a league source that Chris Paul prefers his next basketball home to be either in LA or NY (Los Angeles is where he resides full time) and that has created some modicum of leverage in the ongoing negotiations between the sides. I?m also told that there is a deal on the table that is comfortable from Sam Presti?s perspective, and the ball is in Leon Rose?s court.

TKB

mafra

Legend
TKO

?Interestingly, Wood's 2019-20 season numbers are comparable to another former Knicks power forward -- Kristaps Porzingis. As noted in March, Wood's scoring, rebounding and assist average per 36 minutes are on par with Porzingis, whom New York traded to Dallas in a deal that, so far, has looked awful for the Knicks.?

Ian Begley writing that he believes CW is NyK?s top priority this offseason.

Kiyaman

Legend
I just don?t like the risk of getting an aged star esp a cap busting one and a guy like Dip that Bobby Marks said he has doubts that Dip can get back to playing like an AS again. You would hope that with the new mgt. we could avoid what happened in the past.

The Knicks needed CP3 type of leadership on their roster the day the Knicks cut PG-Chauncy Billups off the Knicks to add a center Tyson Chandler to the roster.
The old-man Chris Paul $40M per are 70% coaching, and 30% elite play-making skills.
CP3 are the veteran player the Knicks NEEEDED urgently for there long roster of cheap $$$ young-core players.
The majority of NBA players in the league will FOLLOW CP3 leadership !!!

Knicks will be exercising 4.2 million dollar option on Reggie Bullock. Makes sense given what he brings to the rotation at that price.

KingCharles34

All Star
The Knicks needed CP3 type of leadership on their roster the day the Knicks cut PG-Chauncy Billups off the Knicks to add a center Tyson Chandler to the roster.
The old-man Chris Paul $40M per are 70% coaching, and 30% elite play-making skills.
CP3 are the veteran player the Knicks NEEEDED urgently for there long roster of cheap $$$ young-core players.
The majority of NBA players in the league will FOLLOW CP3 leadership !!!

You make a good point but i question how many players on our roster are real nba talent. And because of that, i wouldnt have wanted to give up any (potential) talent in order to acquire him

Billups was pretty good in his brief time with us. But Tyson Chandler made a big impact as well anchoring the defense. I wish we could have had both of them

By the way, good to see you Kiyaman. I hope everythings going good for you!!

Knicks waiving Eldrid Payton, Wayne Ellington, Taj Gibson and Kenny Wooten. Knicks not picking up Portis? option. No qualifying offer for Dotson who will become an unrestricted free agent.

Knicks will be signing Myles Powell and bringing him into training camp.

Lots of changes. We will have a lot of cap space.

Knicks project to have 40 million in cap space. Only team projected to have more is Atlanta. If we can include Randle in the deal, our ability to absorb a bad contract or two is pretty immense if that helps us somehow.

mafra

Legend
Knicks have to know they are getting a PG somewhere. Alan Hahan and Scalabrini, on The Starting Lineup, we?re discussing how the entire room was saying NY needed to take T.Haliburton. But didn?t... why? We have worst PG situation in NBA last 20 years!

They also talked about how Obi has soft hands and is a good passer but cannot create his own shot. He benefitted at Dayton bc they were elite passion squad. Almost all of his 3s were created for him and weren?t contested....

So, with RJ/Obi/Mitch ... how does this work if there?s no PG orchestrating the offense and distributing the ball. The spacing is a nightmare!

So, Let?s see what other moves are in store. Bc right now, if you felt running offense through Randle was tough to witness, if the plan is to use Obi as a PF... it?ll be much worse.

Knicks have to know they are getting a PG somewhere. Alan Hahan and Scalabrini, on The Starting Lineup, we?re discussing how the entire room was saying NY needed to take T.Haliburton. But didn?t... why? We have worst PG situation in NBA last 20 years!

They also talked about how Obi has soft hands and is a good passer but cannot create his own shot. He benefitted at Dayton bc they were elite passion squad. Almost all of his 3s were created for him and weren?t contested....

So, with RJ/Obi/Mitch ... how does this work if there?s no PG orchestrating the offense and distributing the ball. The spacing is a nightmare!

So, Let?s see what other moves are in store. Bc right now, if you felt running offense through Randle was tough to witness, if the plan is to use Obi as a PF... it?ll be much worse.

The analysis that I saw said that Haliburton won?t be a primary ballhandler at the NBA level. Might be why he wasn?t a target.

mafra

Legend
Marc Stein reporter if Gordon Heyward opts out today, look for NYK to make a run at him.

Minny looking to deal Malik Beasley and NYK tied to him too.

Utah trades Ed Davis to Knicks to clear cap space. Davis is on an expiring 5 million dollar deal. Knicks get two 2nd round picks in 2023 for taking on the salary.

I can?t remember the last time we used cap space to get extra picks. I?m not sure loading up on 2nd round picks in 2023 helps us that much, but it?s more than our recent prior front offices have been able to do.

Knicks now with 35 million in cap space.

mafra

Legend
Yeah, having 2 1st rounders and 4 second rounders in 2023 doesn?t really help this team much. I guess we shall see what happens in 33 months.

A 2021 or 2022 1st round pick would mean a lot more.

mafra

Legend
Tommy Beer
@TommyBeer
?
10m
The 2023 NBA is commonly referred to as the ?double draft? because it may be the first in decades to include high school age players.

In that 2023 draft, the Knicks will have two first-round picks (their own and the Mavs? pick) and four (4!) second-round selections.

mafra

Legend
Tommy Beer
@TommyBeer
?
1m
Injuries and ineffectiveness limited Davis to just 21 games last season, but he was a beast off the bench for Brooklyn in 2018-19.

That season he averaged 5.8 PPG on 62% shooting and 8.6 rebounds in less than 18 minutes a night.

He was crucial to the Nets success that season

Also,

IQ

Tommy Beer
@TommyBeer
?
19h
Per
@bball_ref

Immanuel Quickley is the only player in SEC history to shot above 42% from 3-point territory and above 92% from the free-throw line while averaging over 15 points per game for an entire season