Knicks Insider: "All Things Knicks"

The Dragon

Benchwarmer
Whenever I cite the odds for the new draft lottery, I am using this table from Tankathon.com:

http://www.tankathon.com/pick_odds

For the teams with the 3 worst records, you have identical odds of the 1st pick (14.0%), 2nd pick (13.4%), 3rd pick (12.7%), and 4th pick (12.0%).

The difference between the odds for the teams with the 3 worst records is that the worst record team can only then fall as far as the 5th pick (47.9%). The team with the 2nd worst record can fall as far as the 6th pick . The team with the 3rd worst record can fall as far as the 7th pick, and so on.

More likely than not, the bottom 3 records are going to be us, Phoenix, and Cleveland. One of the 3 of us would have to start winning again to give Chicago a chance at dropping into the bottom 3 from the 4th position.

Biggest change for those of us in the "bottom 4" this year is that the bottom 4 teams used to have a combined ~75% chance of getting the #1 pick. Now, the bottom 4 teams have a combined chance of getting the #1 pick of only a little more than 50%.

Also, now 4 teams' ping pong balls get picked, giving teams a chance to move up, and then it goes by record. That's how the team with the worst record can fall as far as 5th. So, you can watch a team like ours, whose ping pong balls haven't been picked in over 30 years, sit and watch 4 other teams move ahead of us. The joy of being a Knicks fan on lottery night.

Many thanks, so even when we are the worst we still have slim chances to land the first pick 14% !!! lovely ....

mafra

Legend
Team > Odds at No. 1 Pick

Team 1 > 14.0%

Team 2 > 14.0%

Team 3 >14.0%

Team 4 > 12.5%

Team 5 > 10.5%

Team 6 > 9.0%

Team 7 > 7.5%

Team 8 > 6.0%

Team 9 > 4.5%

Team 10 > 3.0%

Team 11 > 2.0%

Team 12 > 1.5%

Team 13 > 1.0%

Team 14 > 0.5%

mafra

Legend
2018 NBA Draft Lottery Odds:

Phoenix Suns: 25 percent
Memphis Grizzlies: 19.9 percent
Dallas Mavericks: 13.8 percent
Atlanta Hawks: 13.7 percent
Orlando Magic: 8.8 percent
Chicago Bulls: 5.3 percent
Sacramento Kings: 5.3 percent
Cleveland Cavaliers (via Celtics through Nets in trade for Kyrie Irving): 2.8 percent
New York Knicks: 1.7 percent
Philadelphia 76ers: 1.1 percent
Charlotte Hornets: 0.8 percent
Los Angeles Clippers (via Pistons in trade for Blake Griffin): 0.7 percent
Los Angeles Clippers: 0.6 percent
Denver Nuggets: 0.5 percent

Kiyaman

Legend
2018 NBA Draft Lottery Odds:

Phoenix Suns: 25 percent
Memphis Grizzlies: 19.9 percent
Dallas Mavericks: 13.8 percent
Atlanta Hawks: 13.7 percent
Orlando Magic: 8.8 percent
Chicago Bulls: 5.3 percent
Sacramento Kings: 5.3 percent
Cleveland Cavaliers (via Celtics through Nets in trade for Kyrie Irving): 2.8 percent
New York Knicks: 1.7 percent
Philadelphia 76ers: 1.1 percent
Charlotte Hornets: 0.8 percent
Los Angeles Clippers (via Pistons in trade for Blake Griffin): 0.7 percent
Los Angeles Clippers: 0.6 percent
Denver Nuggets: 0.5 percent

Last season odds are what we need now performing like the #1 worst team .. look at Mavs & Hawks odds (13.8 & 13.7) the two owners probably made their trade (Trae & Doncic) before the balls dropped SMH
I wonder how many of the 4 teams with similar odds this year will do business before the ball drop ???

mafra

Legend
Dolan Selling KNicks

(NY Post)

The 11-47 Knicks will not be interesting before this summer?s free agency, but they may have some higher-up-the-ladder intrigue.

The James Dolan rumors are back, with The Ringer?s Bill Simmons reporting on his podcast Sunday night the Knicks owner is listening to offers to sell the team ? which the Garden immediately denied.

On ?The Bill Simmons Podcast,? the former ESPN writer, citing multiple people ?who know things,? said Dolan is considering selling the team he has controlled since 1999.

?It?s happening,? Simmons said. ?It?s on. It?s go time. He?s courting offers for the Knicks. That?s what I heard at All-Star Weekend from people I trust.?

By Monday afternoon, the Garden was strongly denying the report.

?The story is 100% false,? the Garden said in a statement. ?There has been nothing. No discussions. No plans to have discussions ? nothing.?

mafra

Legend
Simmons, however, slammed Davis? claims and suggested that he should be looking to move elsewhere.

?The Knicks are an awful franchise,? he said on The Bill Simmons Podcast.

?You could say ?I?d love to play in New York, because MSG [Madison Square Garden] is awesome and they have incredible fans?.

?That?s it. That?s the case for the Knicks.

?Everything else in their franchise is a train wreck.

?They?ve been a train wreck for two decades.

?I counted up today, they?ve won four finals games total since 1973. Games. That?s got to be bottom five lowest in history.

???????-

Simmons is an idiot... he?s right, but he?s still an idiot.

How many Finals games have TOR, MIL, Indy, Philly, Nets, CHA, ORL, WAS, ATL, DEN, OKC, POR, Utah, LAC, Kings, DAL, MIN, PHO, MEM, NO win since 1973.

Mavs and PHI have a title since then, and a few other made appearance, but our 2 NBA Finals appearances and 4 wins right up there with the other 20 teams listed.

We get it, BOS, LA, MIA, CLE, CHI, DET, Spurs and HOU have been pretty much the only teams winning titles, and half this list not relevant for half of those 40 years since 1973.

mafra

Legend
This article suggests that it may be wiser to sign Khris Middleton instead of Kyrie, to place KM next to KD instead of KI, because then there would be room left over to keep DJ, especially if NYK believe in DSJ?s upside.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/18/knicks-can-target-cheaper-free-agent-all-star-to-pair-with-durant/

?How would a 10-man rotation of Jordan, Durant, Kevin Knox, Middleton, and Smith as starters with Mitchell Robinson, Damyean Dotson, Frank Ntilikina, Allonzo Trier and their 2019 lottery pick off the bench sound? It?s food for thought.

?You never thought Middleton would be this consistent,? one NBA scout told The Post. ?In college, he was a nice player and scorer. He?s done a great job adding range. He?s a terrific half-dribble-and-create-space shooter. He does not try to complicate the game or himself. If he is your third-best option, you?re a very good playoff team. Nothing fancy, but efficient and quietly competitive.??

tiger0330

Legend
We hope this is true but I couldn't hear s**t except background noise but Kyrie supposedly said "2 max spots Kevin, it's time".

mafra

Legend
Maybe they were linking who was recording? Man, it does appear the path is clear and the signs pointing this way.

I may have a heart attack if we land Zion and 2 premiere free agents

tiger0330

Legend
Maybe they were linking who was recording? Man, it does appear the path is clear and the signs pointing this way.

I may have a heart attack if we land Zion and 2 premiere free agents
Me too. Tired of losing and waiting years to build through the draft really doesn't appeal to me, get some players in here next year.

mafra

Legend
I know... this would be the lowest of all lows. Not getting Curry was a crusher... still recall that pain on draft night when he went right before our selection.

LeBron was a major letdown too...

Those happened within a short span....

But if we whiff on Zion and 2 max guys, all in same offseason... in a matter of months... after trading KP and 18 years of losing...

I?ll be devastated.

mafra

Legend
If Durant leaves the Warriors this offseason, the "general consensus" among NBA executives, players, and coaches is that he will land with the Knicks, reports Frank Isola of The Athletic.

Isola notes that a "dark horse" in the Durant sweepstakes could be the Lakers, but suggests that Durant joining LeBron James doesn't make much sense given the fact that he's trying to create his own legacy.

Knicks signing Henry Ellenson to a 10 day contract. Pistons took him in the middle of the 1st round in 2016. Only 22 years old.

As an aside, Stan Van Gundy has done a terrible job drafting for the Pistons.

Knicks sign John Jenkins for rest of this season as well as for next season, but sounds like next season is non-guaranteed until it hits a certain trigger date that has not yet been released.

mafra

Legend
One theory is Kevin Durant needs another star companion such as Kyrie Irving to make the leap to New York ? which is why Knicks brass was so eager to create the extra cap space with the Kristaps Porzingis trade.

Knicks president Steve Mills may also want to save a couple of bucks for Durant?s longtime Maryland compadre, Quinn Cook, the Warriors? backup point guard.

There?s been speculation that Durant?s agent, New York-based Rich Kleiman, could join the Knicks front office if Durant comes. One NBA source believes Durant may want Cook to follow him to his next stop, too.

Cook and Durant were part of the same AAU system, playing for the P.G. Jaguars.

In an interview with The Post last month before the Knicks faced the Warriors in Oakland, Cook said he and Durant met at the Seat Pleasant Activity Center in Maryland when he was 7 years old and KD was 12.

NY Post

There?s some logic to this, but also the New York Post just flat out makes stuff up and uses vague terms to make it sound like a source that actually knows something gave them info.

Kiyaman

Legend
If Durant leaves the Warriors this offseason, the "general consensus" among NBA executives, players, and coaches is that he will land with the Knicks, reports Frank Isola of The Athletic.

Isola notes that a "dark horse" in the Durant sweepstakes could be the Lakers, but suggests that Durant joining LeBron James doesn't make much sense given the fact that he's trying to create his own legacy.

How intrigue would it be to watch Durant's super-star performance on one of the 2018-19 season lottery Teams (Knicks) next season, just to compete against the Great HOF Lebron James consistent FINALS performance legacy ???
Will it happen? I doubt it, seriously. Durant will do better returning to OKC Thunders team to get to the FINALS.
Plus Kyrie's postseason performance is not "Uncle Drew" in a playoff series ..
Boston postseason performance made it to the ECF consecutively in the past two season without Kyrie ..
Lebron Cavs post-season performance made it two the FINALS twice without any help from Kyrie.

Broadway

All Star
I just feel like the whole sports world is setting up a huge practical joke on us Knicks fans.

The way KD and Kyrie handle themselves with DA MEDIA, no way they could hack it here long term

Of course Kyrie doesn't owe DA MEDIA anything but he makes himself an easier target for them answering questions this way. I'd straight up walk off