Knicks Insider: "All Things Knicks"

tiger0330

Legend
I just saw Dolan predicting the Knicks are going to make the playoffs next season. They always say the NY fans are the most knowledgeable in the NBA so there is no chance in hell anyone is buying that when Dolan doesn't even know who is going to be on the roster next year.

He'd be more believable to me if he repeated that story I heard about his front office and scouts gathering together before every home game for 2 hours to break down tape of prospects, I assume that kind of work is what got us MRob and Trier. I couldn't imagine PJ doing something like that but Perry is a grinder who travels everywhere on behalf of the Knicks.

mafra

Legend
Good news is we are pretty much locked into a top 2 seed (for best loser)... bad news is, odds cut almost in half from what they were in previous years.

Tough to sense what NBA will do... CLE and CHI always seem to ?win? the ping pong ball contest... PHO is where PHI was when NBA gifted 76ers with Fultz...

So, I?m banking on PHO getting a top 3 pick. NBA wants Ja, RJ, or Zion on that young roster.

NBA knows NY sell out and are fine... so, 33 years of never climbing in the lottery may continue...

NBA might sense NY is getting free agents too...

This all points to ATL, CHI and/or CLE leaping NY.

It also wouldn?t surprise me to see a DAL, Lakers, Minny, SAC... some team to leap up from 11 or something to 2... just to show that tanking doesn?t pay-off.

And, believe me, LJ era is already done unless NBA steps in. Don?t be surprised to see Zion in LA.

Is it really on the level? I can?t believe that... not when time and time again, teams ?luck? into hometown players (LJ, Rose). But, if it is legit... then all we can do is hope for the 14% odds.

I?m cool with just getting a top 3 pick. Anything after that is gravy. I would hate to overpay max money for non-max guys... but I also know KD/KI in NY is a volatile mix, if they don?t succeed right from the get-go.

If I have RJ/Zion/Ja, with Mitchell... cool.
Everything else is gravy.

Kiyaman

Legend
When it comes to the Phoenix Suns, I see them selecting Ja, and signing FA Kyrie or Rondo.
When it comes to the Cavs, I see them selecting Barrett.
When it comes to the Knicks, I see them selecting ZION, and Zion injury will keep him side-line throughout the 2019-20 season.

mafra

Legend
Knicks head coach David Fizdale wanted to orchestrate a meeting between budding star Kevin Knox and one of the greatest players of all-time in LeBron James.

He was able to do so after Sunday's win over the Lakers.

Knox said he received some guidance and reassurance from James when he met with him after New York beat Los Angeles 124-123 on Sunday at Madison Square Garden.

"That's just a great feeling," Knox said in an interview with MSG before Monday's Knicks-Raptors game. "I've always dreamed about talking with one of the greatest of all-time, and I appreciate Fiz for giving me an opportunity to chop it up a little bit with him. Just to know he's been watching me, know my percentages, know what I'm averaging and stuff like that show that he really watches and cares about my game. When he tells me I can be very special, I take that to heart."

Knox, who scored 19 points and brought down six rebounds in 37 minutes, has averaged 12.3 points, 4.3 rebounds and one assist in his rookie season. He said one of the main takeaways was when James, the three-time NBA champion, told him he needed to be more than a scorer.

"Just to go out and compete at a high level and compete every single night," Knox said of what he took away from James. "He said you've got to find out other ways to impact the game other than scoring. He's one of the best to ever do it as far as scoring, rebounds, assists, all that. He gets everyone involved. He said that'll get better over time."

Knox did admit he has had an inconsistent rookie season. For example, he scored a career-high 31 points on 12-of-23 shooting on Jan. 13, but followed that game with a five-point effort on 2-of-11 shooting on Jan. 17.

But James said Knox shouldn't stress too much about the inconsistencies.

"He was asking how my rookie year was, I told him it was a lot of ups and downs, I was struggling a little bit, I play really well and stuff like that," Knox said. "He said it's all a roller coaster. He said ... there's a lot of superstars now that go up and down, so he said basically don't worry about that."

The 19-year-old Knox also told James he deleted social media apps off his phones so he can focus on his rookie season, adding James believed that was a smart decision.

"[James] said that's a great idea," Knox said. "He said social media can really be something hard to watch and listen to and look at."

Fizdale, who was an assistant coach with the Heat when James played with Miami, said James and Knox spoke for around 10-12 minutes, according to the New York Post's Marc Berman.

"It's crazy," Knox said. "Fiz has made me meet a lot of people. ... Throughout any struggles, it's always good to have somebody you can go to that's actually been in the league and gone through what you've been through."

Theknicksblog

mafra

Legend
Frank Ntilikina is on the verge of a ballyhooed return from his groin injury.

The Knicks announced Ntilikina was cleared for practice and would train Tuesday with the G League Westchester Knicks. Their 2017 lottery pick hasn?t been completely ruled out for Wednesday?s game against Utah, when the Knicks kick off a six-game homestand, pending how he comes out of practice, according to a source.

More likely Ntilikina will make his return Friday against Denver. The Knicks have no plans to play him in the G League.

tiger0330

Legend

The Knicks announced Ntilikina was cleared for practice and would train Tuesday with the G League Westchester Knicks. Their 2017 lottery pick hasn’t been completely ruled out for Wednesday’s game against Utah, when the Knicks kick off a six-game homestand, pending how he comes out of practice, according to a source.

More likely Ntilikina will make his return Friday against Denver. The Knicks have no plans to play him in the G League.

Its about time. One of the priorities for Fiz the remainder of the season, give him enough playing time to see whether he's worth picking up his option year for or showcasing him for a trade. Kadeem may be better but he's 26, Nits 20 with more upside.

jimkcchief88

All Star

The Knicks announced Ntilikina was cleared for practice and would train Tuesday with the G League Westchester Knicks. Their 2017 lottery pick hasn?t been completely ruled out for Wednesday?s game against Utah, when the Knicks kick off a six-game homestand, pending how he comes out of practice, according to a source.

Oh boy hopefully Frank can save our season 😂
What a joke. FailJax really screwed us with that pick. That only reason to give Frank ANY pt(playing time) is to show him to other teams so we can try and ship him out of town.

Kiyaman

Legend
Oh boy hopefully Frank can save our season ��
What a joke. FailJax really screwed us with that pick. That only reason to give Frank ANY pt(playing time) is to show him to other teams so we can try and ship him out of town.

DEFENSE win games, especially in the 4th quarter of a game!
The Knicks has 3 reliable defensive players on the roster this season in DJ, MitchRob, and Frank.
It's a shame when Knick fans want to get rid of any of the 3 reliable defensive-players on the team.
The only consistent 2-Way player the Knicks has had this season in the rotation has been the 2nd season Dotson, another one of Phil's picks.
Knick fans looking to sign Kyrie and Durant in the offseason need to recall the two high scorers are not 2-Way players.

Quote Originally Posted by mafra View Post

The Knicks announced Ntilikina was cleared for practice and would train Tuesday with the G League Westchester Knicks. Their 2017 lottery pick hasn’t been completely ruled out for Wednesday’s game against Utah, when the Knicks kick off a six-game homestand, pending how he comes out of practice, according to a source.

The Knicks has 11 games remaining in the season, and 7 are against above .500 teams, the Knicks bringing Frank back means the Knicks are going to add 4 more wins to this lost season !!!

mafra

Legend
In 1998, Chuck Dolan and George Steinbrenner has a deal in place... that would?ve changed the sports landscape in NY...

The boys from CLE

The Boss was selling 80% stake in Yankees to Dolan, and in return George would become general managing partner of the Yankee, Knicks, and the Rangers.

George would keep 20% ownership and would control all executive decisions for all 3 teams... Dolan would report to Steinbrenner over executive decisions...

However, Dolan would?ve owned Yanks and Yes (currently worth 8 billion dollars).... but Dolan wanted 30 million instead, to build his NYK Greensboro practice facility, in Westchester County.

That?s what broke this up, b/c Chuck didn?t want YES...

Yankees and Knicks and Rangers, in 1998, wouldn?t been ruled by The Boss. Imagine that! But, it might be that James Dolan could be owner of Yankees now.

Dolan?s lost 8 billion dollars by suck a foolish, near-sighted decision to scuttle the deal... Knicks would?ve defensively had LeBron and a title... Boss would?ve found a way.

tiger0330

Legend
A good read on Mitchell Robinson and his statistically “elite” season he’s having for a shot blocker, rookie, second round pick.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...s-a-statistical-enigma/?addata=espn:frontpage
In Summer League I posted comparing his stats to Ayton, they were very similar but said he was a better perimeter defender than Ayton based on the blocks he was getting on jump shooters.

I don't see why he can't be the same offensive threat Capela is for Houston given all the guys he plays with seem to be able to drop alley oop plays to him. Capela has over 200 alley opp dunks in 59 games, that's over 3 high probability buckets a game if MRob can equal Capela.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
When do we FIRE David Fizdale ???
We just loss 3 straight home games, we have 3 days off before the next 3 home games ..
what are our chances on winning one of the next 3 consecutive home games ???

Bill Simmons said to ?bet the house? that Durant signs with the Knicks this offseason. Can this really be happening? Was there this kind of erroneous buzz about us before Lebron went to Miami with The Decision? Fans are going to nitpick this, but holy hell, come to the Knicks, Kevin Durant. You will be welcomed as a hero.

mafra

Legend
Bill Simmons said to ?bet the house? that Durant signs with the Knicks this offseason. Can this really be happening? Was there this kind of erroneous buzz about us before Lebron went to Miami with The Decision? Fans are going to nitpick this, but holy hell, come to the Knicks, Kevin Durant. You will be welcomed as a hero.

I think there was speculation LJ would pick NY, for the simple reason that there was room for The King and +1... heck, if they had space for Wade and Bosh and had a savvy GM, maybe it even happens...

It just feels right this time, with Kyrie and space and fact both have their rings and there?s ties to area and whatnot.

We shall see. Since they moved swiftly on KP makes me believe they think there?s a legit chance.

tiger0330

Legend
Bill Simmons said to “bet the house” that Durant signs with the Knicks this offseason. Can this really be happening? Was there this kind of erroneous buzz about us before Lebron went to Miami with The Decision? Fans are going to nitpick this, but holy hell, come to the Knicks, Kevin Durant. You will be welcomed as a hero.

I think there was speculation LJ would pick NY, for the simple reason that there was room for The King and +1... heck, if they had space for Wade and Bosh and had a savvy GM, maybe it even happens...

It just feels right this time, with Kyrie and space and fact both have their rings and there’s ties to area and whatnot.

We shall see. Since they moved swiftly on KP makes me believe they think there’s a legit chance.
I think if we sign KD it doesn't come without signing Kyrie or someone else as well. Huge that we get Zion or Ja, I could see both of those guys being pieces the Knicks could sell to FAs that the Knicks are on the threshold of turning around the franchise sooner than later.

tiger0330

Legend
We were better defensively under Hornacek. I do agree that you have to have defensive players if you want to play better D but a coach's schemes, lineups and how you motivate your players has something to do with a team's defensive performance. If you have the worst roster in the NBA and have the worst record you haven't proved Jack as a coach which is the case with Fizdale. He's got a lot to prove next year when the honeymoon is over this season.

https://nypost.com/2019/03/27/david-fizdale-knicks-need-to-add-players-who-can-defend/

David Fizdale, after failing to get the Knicks to defend with consistency this season, vowed the club will add more defensive-minded players in the offseason.

It just so happens Kevin Durant’s most underrated attribute is his length and effectiveness on the defensive end, but Fizdale knows the overall mindset is to add defenders. Ironically, Fizdale pushed for the drafting of defensively challenged Kevin Knox over Mikal Bridges, who has quietly had a solid rookie year as a defender in Phoenix.

“Our defense won’t really, really get to where it’s at until we start really filling in the gaps with the type of guys we think can take our defense to the next level.’’ Fizdale said. “Add maybe another forward defender or another perimeter defender that has a reputation for that. Those kind of guys are the ones that elevate your system to the next level.”

There has been no elevation with Fizdale’s defense, even after Enes Kanter’s exit and the addition of DeAndre Jordan. On Thursday, the league-worst Knicks (14-60) face the Raptors, who partied to the tune of 128 points 10 days ago against the Knicks. In the past five games, the Knicks have allowed an average of 124 points.

They are 28th in the league in defensive rating (113 points per 100 possessions). Red Holzman is rolling over in his grave. Jeff Van Gundy is somewhere stewing.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Wsup Tiger .. your post on Fizdale's team-defense matches some of the comments i read from the Memphis Grizz sport writers on Fizdale's team-defense didn't help Fizdale complete his second season on the Grizz. I have a question for the Knicks Front-Office?
Will the Knicks wait until next season to Fire Fizdale for having a 2nd season of poor team-defense?
Or will the Knick Mills/Perry hire a top name head-coach to pull a Star FA, after receiving a first to 3rd draft pick in May?

mafra

Legend
MRob?s 22 blocked three-pointers this season most since 1997, when they started recording the stat. Draymond Green previous high was 18.

MRob?s 10.9% block pct is highest in NBA history (min of 50 blocks)... Manut Bol has record at 10.8%