Knicks Insider: "All Things Knicks"

tiger0330

Legend
Mills praised Fizdale for not veering from player development to “protect his record” this year. I say hold judgment on Fizdale. Definitely code that he was told to tank and he did it successfully.

Also, according to Mills, Patrick Ewing representing us at the draft lottery was Dolan’s idea.
That's the stupidest thing I ever heard from a team executive giving a coach a pass for losing, if the Knicks didn't play that GLeague Bulls team twice in the last few games we would have wound up with the worst record in franchise history and not tied for it. Next season is on Mills/Perry but I didn't have much faith in Mills and still don’t esp after comments like this.

I'd cut Fiz some slack but the other guy we could have had as the new Knicks coach, Coach Bud is a strong candidate to win COY with the job he did with the Bucks. Remember it was reported that Budenholzer really wanted the Knicks job and maybe KP stays if he were the coach instead of Fiz, Bud wouldn't have guided the Knicks to the playoffs with this roster but no doubt in my mind he's the better coach between the two.

That's the stupidest thing I ever heard from a team executive giving a coach a pass for losing, if the Knicks didn't play that GLeague Bulls team twice in the last few games we would have wound up with the worst record in franchise history and not tied for it. Next season is on Mills/Perry but I didn't have much faith in Mills and still don?t esp after comments like this.

I'd cut Fiz some slack but the other guy we could have had as the new Knicks coach, Coach Bud is a strong candidate to win COY with the job he did with the Bucks. Remember it was reported that Budenholzer really wanted the Knicks job and maybe KP stays if he were the coach instead of Fiz, Bud wouldn't have guided the Knicks to the playoffs with this roster but no doubt in my mind he's the better coach between the two.

To be fair, the phrase ?protect his record? was a quote from the blurb that I read that was written about Mills, not an actual phrase that Mills himself said.

mafra

Legend
The New York Knicks are back in the championship mix heading into a summer that could shake up the NBA.

The SuperBook at Westgate Las Vegas on Saturday opened the Knicks at 16-1 to win the 2020 NBA championship. New York is behind only the Milwaukee Bucks (9-2), Boston Celtics (7-1) and Philadelphia 76ers (10-1) in the Eastern Conference. Kevin Durant's pending free agency is the reason why.

Jeff Sherman, who oversees NBA odds at the SuperBook, believes the Knicks are the favorites to land Durant this summer and created their title odds accordingly. Sherman said the Knicks would be somewhere in the range of 300-1 if they aren't able to land Durant or another of the high-profile stars who could be on the move this offseason. If New York does land Durant and Kyrie Irving, Sherman said he would still have the Bucks with better odds than the Knicks.

For more:

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/26671272/vegas-bullish-knicks-summer-20-title-odds

Kiyaman

Legend
Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Brian Windhorst and many others think a package of MRob, KK, DSJ, 3rd pick this year and Dallas 2021 and 2023 pick is the best deal the Pels could get. If Mills can get AD here for that I would do it in a heartbeat, do it before FA starts and KD comes automatically. I'm a little skeptical of the reports that their owner said she would trade AD to the Lakers over her dead body and that the Knicks deal is the one DG would prefer. Pretty sure Griffins entreaty to AD to stay is not going to work so AD is as good as gone.

Brian Windhorst and many others think a package of MRob, KK, DSJ, 3rd pick this year and Dallas 2021 and 2023 pick is the best deal the Pels could get. If Mills can get AD here for that I would do it in a heartbeat, do it before FA starts and KD comes automatically. I'm a little skeptical of the reports that their owner said she would trade AD to the Lakers over her dead body and that the Knicks deal is the one DG would prefer. Pretty sure Griffins entreaty to AD to stay is not going to work so AD is as good as gone.

AD is a great player. I love MRob though. I?m starting to fall in love with RJ. I definitely love me some future 1st round picks. That deal is such a huge price to pay. Only reason that I would do it is if our front office knows that KD is expecting us to make this deal for him to sign here.

If trading for AD is the key to getting KD, then I do it. Otherwise, no.

Also, if we are going to do this trade, I would very much like to see us sign KD and Kyrie and then do the AD trade (we can match contracts after signing RJ). Big 3 is key.

Just reading the Pels are not high on Knox, I'd say the Knicks chances to get AD dropped significantly if true.

I don?t blame them. I think Knox has a lot of problems with his game that if he doesn?t address them this offseason his future is on the bench.

Lot of variables we don?t know regarding an AD trade. One, has Griff given up and feels he needs to make a deal ASAP? Two, do the Pelicans definitely want to get AD out of the conference? Three, have the Celtics pulled out because of a focus on maximizing assets instead?

There are scenarios where if all things click into place, we may look like fools for giving so much for AD, whether the Pelicans like Knox or not, because we are basically negotiating against ourselves.

This reeks of the Melo trade all over again. Unless getting KD is contingent upon trading for AD, I don?t want to do this deal.

Trying to read between the lines. Celtics have the best assets to do an AD trade, but knowing that Kyrie is going to leave is going to make them nervous that AD also bolts when his contract is up. Danny Ainge doesn?t seem like he likes to take huge gambles (the anti-Mark Cuban).

Lakers may be a non-factor if Pelicans want AD out of the conference (often a bigger factor than people would guess).

Knicks have no reason to tip their hand. The smart time to make a deal for AD would be later in July that way they can first try to sign 2 max deals before matching salary to add AD as the 3rd star.

We?re looking at 2 months of not knowing anything concrete here probably.

As an aside, to the people who keep asking ?why the hell would Kevin Durant come to the Knicks??

A very good answer to that question may be ?because our front office somehow let him know that if he came here, he?s playing with Kyrie and AD?.

We could end up seeing that this was some Pat Riley-esqe stuff that?s been unfolding all along. No one saw Lebron/Wade/Bosh coming until it happened.

mafra

Legend
As painful as it is to send DSJ, MRob, RJ and 2 future first round picks... if you have a shot to get KD, AD, and KI together... you have to do it. AD and KI under 27!

But... I think you do this trade trying to find a way to keep DSJ or Knox. Don?t trade both. There has to be a walking away point, and mine is at giving 2 future first rounder and DSJ and Knox.

Tough call.

Are you better with KD and KI and all our young assets? Do you just go mega 3 and fill out the roster?

I think the package is competitive. Just boils down to who they covet most: Tatum
or RJ or a bevy of guys from LA.

Frank switches agents... trade is imminent.

No one wants him, I?ll bet. Knicks would have happily traded him before the last trade deadline if there was any market for him.

As Tig has pointed out, Ntilikina is owed 4.8 million this coming season. Teams may want us to trade them a 2nd round pick to take him, instead of the other way around. Best just to keep him and if he doesn?t like his role, send him to the G league.

MRob makes 2nd NBA All-Rookie team. Not bad given that this last season was a reasonably strong season for rookies.

Kiyaman

Legend
MRob makes 2nd NBA All-Rookie team. Not bad given that this last season was a reasonably strong season for rookies.

If the Knicks are able to pull RJ Barrett with the 3rd pick, the Knicks could start their future rebuild around Block-Party MithcRob & ROY Barrett !!!

mafra

Legend
"When he walked into our office -- my office and Scott was sitting there with me -- and point blank said to us, 'I don't want to be here, I'm not going to re-sign with the Knicks, and I'll give you seven days to try and trade me or I'm going back to Europe,'" Mills explained.

The Knicks eventually found a home in the Mavericks for the 7-foot-3 Latvian, and the deal was done rather quickly thanks to the second piece of information Mills divulged on the crowd. He said the team was working behind the scenes to set up a few scenarios where they could deal players since the start of the season, and Porzingis was one of them.

"Fortunately for us, through that process that we talked about at the start of September, we had a number of deals lined up," he said.

Knicksonline.com

Kiyaman

Legend
"When he walked into our office -- my office and Scott was sitting there with me -- and point blank said to us, 'I don't want to be here, I'm not going to re-sign with the Knicks, and I'll give you seven days to try and trade me or I'm going back to Europe,'" Mills explained.

The Knicks eventually found a home in the Mavericks for the 7-foot-3 Latvian, and the deal was done rather quickly thanks to the second piece of information Mills divulged on the crowd. He said the team was working behind the scenes to set up a few scenarios where they could deal players since the start of the season, and Porzingis was one of them.

"Fortunately for us, through that process that we talked about at the start of September, we had a number of deals lined up," he said.

Knicksonline.com

This makes me happy we didn't get the #1 pick in the lottery balls .. imagine if we got the first pick and selected Zion, and the Knicks didn't do a 360 change in the clueless front-office and bum coaching-staff, and 3 years later Zion walks into Mills/Perry office saying the same stuff KP said .. what then ???