Knicks Insider: "All Things Knicks"

Kiyaman

Legend
Perry, speaking on the In The Key podcast with BJ Armstrong, said he hopes to have a more specific timetable on Porzingis in September. The Latvian will be out until at least early-December, and owner James Dolan admitted in April that they have no clue when he'll return.

As for the rest of the roster, Perry admits it's going to be difficult to make too many additions this summer considering the team's current cap situation.

"Every year we'll keep our antennas up but what we're really setting ourselves up (for is) the following summer," Perry said. "Just based on when I came in here in terms of cap space availability, we're not going to be a team with a whole lot of cap space this summer."

This summer, the likes of LeBron James, Paul George, Chris Paul and Demarcus Cousins could all be free agents, depending on if James and George opt out of their current deals.

Despite not having much room to make a run at those top free agents, Perry is already planning out when the team will be able to do so.

"We'll be looking for some shorter term, maybe veteran players who can help some of our younger guys for this season and really preparing and gearing up for free agency in the summer of (2019) and (2020) where that will be our first opportunity to have the type of cap space that can hopefully make a difference in your roster and going out to get one of the top-tier free agents," Perry said.

Perry is as clueless as the Knicks past 5 GM .. the Knicks were 10-31 on the road in the 2017-18 season, something Perry could not explain.

Kiyaman

Legend
Keith Smart, Jud Buechler, Pat Sullivan and Royal Ivey have been added as assistant coaches under David Fizdale, the Knicks announce.
Howard Eisley is still with the organization but his specific role is yet to be determined. Eisley was an assistant under ex HC Jeff Hornacek.

This is what we are working with as the Knicks coaching-staff .. what u think ???

tiger0330

Legend
Nice of Quinn to make his decision before the draft, if Kanter had done the same the Knicks would be looking for a big man instead of wing help in the draft.

O?Quinn opting out seemed like a foregone conclusion. I like Kanter, but he?s a giant ass on social media. He?s going to drag this out to the last minute.

mafra

Legend
Nice of Quinn to make his decision before the draft, if Kanter had done the same the Knicks would be looking for a big man instead of wing help in the draft.

Kanter is definitely opting in.... I think he?s waiting only to see if Knicks need cap space to sign somebody... then he?ll take less. I could be wrong, but I think he loves it here.

KOQ will probably go start for GSW.

mafra

Legend
Next up for Dennis Rodman ? bringing Kim Jong Un and James Dolan together.
The NBA Hall of Famer tells the Daily News that if Kim visits the United States, he hopes to bring the North Korean dictator to see the Knicks and meet their leader.

?The first thing he wants to do is go to a Knicks game ? he wants to go to Madison Square Garden,? according to Rodman.

Now the lead adviser of Business Development for anytickets.com, The Worm is in charge of coordinating VIP outings for the lifestyle brand. He?s confident he can make it happen.

?If you want to go to a Knicks game and meet Dolan, you can go meet him,? Rodman said confidently.
Whether Dolan would agree to a hardwood handshake with the North Korean leader is another matter. His office could not be reached for comment.

NY Daily News

Next up for Dennis Rodman ? bringing Kim Jong Un and James Dolan together.
The NBA Hall of Famer tells the Daily News that if Kim visits the United States, he hopes to bring the North Korean dictator to see the Knicks and meet their leader.

?The first thing he wants to do is go to a Knicks game ? he wants to go to Madison Square Garden,? according to Rodman.

Now the lead adviser of Business Development for anytickets.com, The Worm is in charge of coordinating VIP outings for the lifestyle brand. He?s confident he can make it happen.

?If you want to go to a Knicks game and meet Dolan, you can go meet him,? Rodman said confidently.
Whether Dolan would agree to a hardwood handshake with the North Korean leader is another matter. His office could not be reached for comment.

NY Daily News

Uhh...that is awkward on so many levels, I don?t know where to start.

mafra

Legend
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...hip-new-york-knicks-repaired-says-steve-mills

Ian Bagley

New York Knicks president Steve Mills believes the organization has repaired its relationship with young star Kristaps Porzingis and that the club will be positioned to attract top free agents in the summer of 2019.

During a Thursday interview on ESPN Radio's The Stephen A. Smith Show, Mills said he and first-year general manager Scott Perry worked hard to repair the organization's relationship with Porzingis. The All-Star forward skipped his exit meeting last April with then-team president Phil Jackson and Mills due to frustration over the drama and dysfunction surrounding the organization.

Smith asked Mills if he had any concern that Porzingis, who is eligible this summer for a five-year extension worth more than $150 million, would seek a trade, as other NBA All-Stars such as Kawhi Leonard and Kyrie Irving have done in recent seasons.

"No," Mills said. "We've worked really hard in rebuilding the relationship with KP. For Scott and me, it's been with his brother [Janis Porzingis]. We had to make Janis, who is his agent and his brother, make him feel like he was part of our group and let him understand what we're doing as a team, where we're taking this thing.

"We communicate with KP all the time," Mills added. "And we know he feels good about directionally where we're going. I think you can see that through some of his tweets and social media stuff, and our conversations with him. He's back on board with where we're going and we feel really good about his future with us."

Porzingis is currently in his home country of Latvia rehabbing an ACL injury that is expected to sideline him for a significant portion of the 2018-19 season.

Mills said he'd have a better idea about a timetable for Porzingis' return in September. The team president added that he expects Porzingis to play next year, but didn't explicitly rule out the possibility of him sitting out the entire season.

Mills also said he didn't expect the Knicks to add significant stars in free agency this summer. He expects Enes Kanter to opt in to his $18.6 million player option, which would leave New York with an $8.6 million exception and a $3.4 million exception to use in free agency, in addition to the veteran's minimum exception.

But Mills said the organization plans to be in position to sign a top free agent during the 2019 offseason, when players such as Irving, Leonard and Jimmy Butler might test free agency.

"Our goal is to get our house in order. Develop the foundation," Mills said. "And we are not going to be players [in free agency] this year. If we sign guys it's going to be for a one-year deal because we are going to have room for a max contract in the following year. We'll be able to make room for a max guy."

Mills was asked if the Knicks will be "star searching" next summer, referencing a term that Philadelphia 76ers coach and acting top executive Brett Brown used to describe the Sixers' approach to free agency.

"We feel like we're going to put ourselves in a position where stars are going to want to come to us," Mills said. "That's what we think."

The Knicks -- who have a new coach, David Fizdale -- have missed the playoffs in each of the past five seasons and have won just one playoff series in the past 18 years. Mills was asked how he'd sell free agents on signing in New York. He mentioned Porzingis.

"Guys want to be a part of a winning culture," Mills said. "They want to be a part of a group of guys they want to play with. Porzingis is a magnet. He's the reason why everyone interviewing for coaching jobs this year wanted this job."

What's unclear at this point is if the Knicks plan to offer Porzingis an extension this summer or wait until next summer. Waiting could give New York approximately $10 million in cap space for the summer of 2019.

tiger0330

Legend
Fiz hasn't proved anything yet but can anyone not be happy about the job he's doing so far. Everyone that's been brought in here has promised to change the culture on the Knicks, this is the first guy that seems to be really be doing something about it.

mafra

Legend
It?s been a trying week, so let me treat you to something nice. Watch the stock price for The Madison Square Garden Company do a little jig over the last two days:

What could explain this spike? Probably the announcement, late Wednesday, that James Dolan, chairman and CEO of MSG, is considering spinning the Knicks and the Rangers off into a separate company, which would smooth the path for an eventual sale of both teams, per a Crain?s report. This suggests that there may be a day, perhaps even in the not-so-distant future, when those teams are no longer owned by James Dolan.

The aspiring bluesman, profiled by our own Dave McKenna in 2016, is said to be bringing his business life in alignment with his true passions. Here?s an extremely peculiar sequence of sentences from that Crain?s report:

Dolan is understood to be more interested in music and building cutting-edge entertainment venues than sports.

?He wants to be more Elon Musk than George Steinbrenner,? an analyst told Crain?s in an article last month.

Dolan inherited the teams as part of the family business, and it does not come as a total surprise that he might want to ease out of the sports game. After all, as Dolan told, uhh, us, personally, in song last November:

You know I own a basketball team

For most people that would be a dream

For a trust fund kid it?s a living hell

Always some ass hole telling me to sell.

(Deadspin)

mafra

Legend
Mike Francesa criticized former Knicks president Phil Jackson during an appearance on ?Desus and Mero? on Thursday, claiming the legendary coach ?stole? the hefty salary he received from the team from 2014 to 2017.

?He [Knicks owner James Dolan] brought Phil Jackson in, he gave him a ton of money, he gave him carte blanche, and Phil basically decided to put his feet up and retire,? Francesa said. ?I mean, that?s really what happened. And he basically stole $60 million, that?s what he did. Without a mask, without a gun, he stole $60 million.?

Kiyaman

Legend
Mike Francesa criticized former Knicks president Phil Jackson during an appearance on ?Desus and Mero? on Thursday, claiming the legendary coach ?stole? the hefty salary he received from the team from 2014 to 2017.

?He [Knicks owner James Dolan] brought Phil Jackson in, he gave him a ton of money, he gave him carte blanche, and Phil basically decided to put his feet up and retire,? Francesa said. ?I mean, that?s really what happened. And he basically stole $60 million, that?s what he did. Without a mask, without a gun, he stole $60 million.?

As a fan .. i also came up with the same conclusion bout Phil's time with the Knicks (A three year retirement vacation in NY).
Everything Phil Jax did for the Knicks in his 3 season span were a FAILURE!
There were not one season or offseason did Phil Jax earn a passing grade for the Knicks.
I say this having facts of the Knicks team best winning season in the past 4 years were the 37 win season in 2013-14 without Phil Jackson. Phil's first season as the Knicks new president in 2014-15 the Knicks team had a 17 win season .. that's a very huge difference in losses from one season to the next season .. In 3 full seasons Phil average a 26 win season to boot !!!

The three seasons of rebuilding n revamping the Knicks team under Phil Jackson were no different from any of owner James Dolan's two decades of rebuilding n revamping the Knicks team. Nothing change from the 2002 Knicks team to the 2018 Knicks team other than the faces n names on the player roster/coaching-staff/and management.
The Dolan's 23 win season Knicks are still standing tall !!!

Kiyaman

Legend
O’Quinn opting out seemed like a foregone conclusion. I like Kanter, but he’s a giant ass on social media. He’s going to drag this out to the last minute.

I don't care how excited people get bout the new weak NBA, and the punk stretch-forwards the NBA has invited to the game.
Quinn's best talent/skills should have been the Knicks starter PF the past 3 seasons!
Quinn was not at his best being used as a backup center receiving 15 minute per game the past 3 seasons.
The 3 yrs experience Quinn receive as the Knicks backup center will be useful to Quinn on the next team.

What kills me about Phil Jackson taking over is that the season before he was hired we had a losing season, but Woodson and the guys figured it out to close that season. We went 16 - 5 the last 21 games of that season. Hindsight is 20/20 but Woodson and that roster could have been adjusted less dramatically and the next season we could have easily been a playoff team. Instead, PJ blows that team up and we have spent the last several seasons being absolute garbage. If instead we had hired a good GM at that time, who knows what could have happened?

I don't care how excited people get bout the new weak NBA, and the punk stretch-forwards the NBA has invited to the game.
Quinn's best talent/skills should have been the Knicks starter PF the past 3 seasons!
Quinn was not at his best being used as a backup center receiving 15 minute per game the past 3 seasons.
The 3 yrs experience Quinn receive as the Knicks backup center will be useful to Quinn on the next team.

Yeah, we really bungled O?Quinn?s time on this team. It was almost comical at times how effective he could be on the court and then not see playing time again for a week.

mafra

Legend
To combat smallball, Fizdale said he wants to employ a big lineup...

?Coach David Fizdale said he's thought of playing a big lineup with Kevin Knox at shooting guard and a frontcourt of Kristaps Porzingis at small forward with Luke Kornet and Mitchell Robinson.

"I have a crush on wingspan," Fizdale said. "See how teams deal with that at the rim and with our length. I can?t lock him into nothing. I see a lot of places I can use him to be dynamic for us." OK, first of all, this is likely him just spitballing, but it's still interesting to see how he views Knox.?

(Rotoworld)

tiger0330

Legend
I always wondered who this woman was sitting behind the Knicks bench, a constant figure at home games though I didn't see her last season. Her name was Michelle Musler a season ticket holder since the last Knicks championship, she passed away at 81, a very popular figure at MSG unbeknownst to me. RIP Ms. Musler a great Knicks fan.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/05/...tside-perennial-in-the-garden-dies-at-81.html

attachment.php

Attachments

• 04musler-jumbo.jpg
    04musler-jumbo.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 19