Knicks Insider: "All Things Knicks"

mafra

Legend
Can the Knicks opt out or 2021?

I can see them going 20-62, then ending up with the 5th pick, as a 44-38 club jump them in lottery.

tiger0330

Legend
Isola said something about how players don’t like Frank at PG bc they never know what he’s going to do. I think Frank is nothing but a combo guard / wing defender.

I think the PG is DSJ with IQ, right now. Burks and Frankie will help some with ball handling.
DSJ at PG is going to be a disaster if he plays like last years version. Problem is the season starts in a month and I haven't heard anything about how he looks on the court.

I had forgotten Jeff Teague played for Thibs in Minnesota when they made the playoffs. He continues to seem like a logical option for us.

mafra

Legend
I?m cool with that. I mean, if Rose isn?t trading DSJ then we owe it to the franchise to give him the keys and see what he is or isn?t.

Who cares if we win 16 or 29 games?

The bulk of rotation minutes needs to go to the kids. It doesn?t help this team to give heavy minutes to Melo, KCP, Burks and Bullock.

It?s fine to have vet leadership it, and only if, it aids in the development of the kids. Otherwise, we end up in lottery anyway and don?t get the answers we need.

If the kids have potential, it will shine thru and we could be in a position to upgrade roster at deadline.

If the kids flop, then we getting ready to get a stud next draft and have our cap space.

Do not repeat last year!!! Watching MM and Portis and whatnot didn?t help.

DSJ and Frank sink or swim. Ensure 6 months of them sucking and move on already or perhaps things start to click and gel.

I?m worried how Obi will develop being blocked by Randle.

mafra

Legend
Knicks should sign Brandon Ingram to a max contract. Stick it to NO. Force them to match it and restrict what they can do financially moving forward. Why not?

Pricey

Rotation player
Long time no see lads!

Happy with how we are handling FA, not throwing stupid money at avg players. Any rumours about who we are targeting over there since VanFleet is done?

mafra

Legend
I think it?s Teague, KCP, MKG.... the rumors.... but they?ve been tied to everybody else who signed elsewhere.

Maybe Rose plans on BB/BI as RFAs, or trade?

mafra

Legend
Oh, no!!!!!!!

Knicks bring back Elfrid Payton on 1/5 deal. I just puked.

I see absolutely no point wasting time giving EP minutes. He?s a 20% shooter from deep, and a 57% FT shooter; not to mention the offense was awful under his leadership and he absolutely refuses to engage defensively.

Now, he?ll start, feed Randle, shun RJ and Mitch. This is terrible news.

EP and AB same crap we saw last season from EP and WE. Awful, awful news.

Worse enough to watch a lottery team... but to get there watching EP, Bullock, Burks, Randle is depressing. I?m out this season folks. Life is to short.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Third year in a row NYK punt free agency to preserve cap space.

?With having Leon in, World Wide Wes and myself, the three of us, we?re the best sort of team as it relates to being able to speak with free agents,?' Stoute said. ?Our relationship with talent will bring them to New York. They haven?t had this level of talent in the last 10 years that can go out and pitch free agents and convince them why New York is great.?'

Oh, no!!!!!!!

Knicks bring back Elfrid Payton on 1/5 deal. I just puked.

I see absolutely no point wasting time giving EP minutes. He?s a 20% shooter from deep, and a 57% FT shooter; not to mention the offense was awful under his leadership and he absolutely refuses to engage defensively.

Now, he?ll start, feed Randle, shun RJ and Mitch. This is terrible news.

EP and AB same crap we saw last season from EP and WE. Awful, awful news.

Worse enough to watch a lottery team... but to get there watching EP, Bullock, Burks, Randle is depressing. I?m out this season folks. Life is to short.

I guess they have to spend money and almost no one wants it. The return of Elfrid Payton on a 1 year deal is about as unexciting as you can get.

mafra

Legend
It?s worse than a unexciting.... it means
No development of RJ. EP practically ignored RJ when he has the ball.

So, RJ and Obi the cornerstones and won?t develop at all this season bc Thibs will play EP and Randle 30 minutes a night in the vein pursuit of 25 wins.

If DSJ can?t be the starting PG, and IQ the backup, then we should?ve drafted Hampton.

tiger0330

Legend
I guess they have to spend money and almost no one wants it. The return of Elfrid Payton on a 1 year deal is about as unexciting as you can get.
I said they might bring Payton back but we hope DSJ or Nits step up and keep Payton on the bench. Disappointing FA so far, might have not been the greatest move but I almost wish we pulled off a deal for Russ.

mafra

Legend
Another day in the life of Leon Rose and another CAA client (Payton) and Kentucky player (Nerlens Noel).

We know our 6 front court options now:

PF. Randle, Toppin, Knox
C. Robinson, Davis, Noel

After signing Nerlens Noel, Knicks only have 1 roster spot left despite quite a bit of cap space.

Knicks really have become the place for lottery busts. Noel is only 26 and played well defensively as a backup center for OKC. He?s another guy like MRob who would benefit a lot from having a good pick and roll PG, which we don?t really have.

Another day in the life of Leon Rose and another CAA client (Payton) and Kentucky player (Nerlens Noel).

We know our 6 front court options now:

PF. Randle, Toppin, Knox
C. Robinson, Davis, Noel

It?s kind of crazy. If you can?t play defense, you might not play under Thibs, but the front office gave Thibs a PF rotation of guys who don?t play defense well.

mafra

Legend
At least our scoring PFs are complimented by defensive rim protectors. And, Obi is a god weak side defender (blocking shots).

If Rose wants to crush this, he trades Randle to NO for Ball and then signs BB as RFA Monday.

BB provides spacing and Ball the maestro.

Rose does that and he deserves a statue.

But, as of now, the front court seems to appear like they will work well together.

And, let?s face it, our PF right now is the primary scoring option.

mafra

Legend
1/5 for Noel and 1/6 for Payton means we have 20 mil in space plus the MLE (unless EP or Noel took that, then we have 25 mil).

Is there a trade we should anticipate?

mafra

Legend
BB signs with ATL (72 mil).

NY only team with cap space left....

The Knicks and Theo Pinson have agreed to terms on a two-way contract.

tiger0330

Legend
BB signs with ATL (72 mil).

NY only team with cap space left....

The Knicks and Theo Pinson have agreed to terms on a two-way contract.
I’m pissed even the lowly Hawks have become a destination for FAs getting the savvy vet PG RR and sharpshooter BB both who have skills that we needed and we get the guy that can’t shoot to save his life Pinson on a 2 way. BB probably not going to the Hawks though, Kings should match.

mafra

Legend
Well, ATL does have Trae Young. NYK have nada that anybody covets to share the court with.

Now, for example, say this team goes 32-50 but shows some promise with the kids. They luck out and get a Case in the draft...

Burst out next season and win 49 games and RJ, Cade, Mitch and Obi look good and exciting.

Then, free agents will come here... maybe? Then again, not like we got a bunch of free agents for Ewing either?

What else could it be?

Let?s just hope we have a very good development team. We need RJ and Obi and Mitch and Knox and DSJ and IQ to become something!