Knicks Insider: "All Things Knicks"

mafra

Legend
A fairly quiet NBA free agency this summer may portend a massive free agency next season.

About half of the league's talent is set to hit the open market next summer, and when the salary cap rises, many teams are expected to have the cap space to pursue those players.

Among those teams is the New York Knicks, who almost completely sat out free agency this year, making only one notable signing (forward Mario Hezonja to a one-year, $6 million deal). That was intentional by the Knicks, as they have said they plan to be aggressive next offseason with their cap space.

Next year's free agency pool is deep and star-studded. Players like Kyrie Irving, Kevin Durant, Jimmy Butler, Klay Thompson, Kawhi Leonard, and Kemba Walker can all become free agents, and several teams are already gearing up to make runs at them.

There appears to be growing buzz that the Knicks could be major players for some of those stars. Currently, the Knicks are projected to have about $22 million in cap space next summer. To open space for a max contract, about $33 million, they would have to make some moves to clear salary.

ESPN's Zach Lowe has several times mentioned that the Knicks will pursue Kevin Durant. Of course, every team with cap space will pursue Durant if he's available. But as Lowe pointed out in a column on Wednesday, there are some signs that could point Durant to the Knicks.

First, Durant has only signed short-term deals with the Golden State Warriors. Those who know Durant or have been around him reportedly don't have much of a gauge of what he wants to do, and some wouldn't be surprised if he changed teams.

Durant's agent and business partner Rich Kleiman is from New York and has said he one day wants to run the Knicks. As Lowe noted, Knicks GM Scott Perry worked for the Seattle SuperSonics when they drafted Durant in 2008.

Consider what Los Angeles Clippers GM Michael Winger told Business Insider recently of relationships and connections around the league:

"I would submit to you that relationships might very well be the No. 1 element in doing a deal. Some players enter free agency knowing precisely what they want, where they want to be, and how they'll approach that opportunity ... I'd say most connections are based on a pre-existing relationship, somewhere in the family tree, whether that's in the front office, the coaching staff, ownership, somebody has a relationship with either the player or the agent."

Furthermore, Lowe, Rachel Nichols of ESPN, and Howard Beck of Bleacher Report discussed the topic on Lowe's podcast, "The Lowe Post." All three noted that while it was just pure speculation, and there's no knowledge that Durant intends to leave the Warriors, joining the Knicks would be the ultimate image rehab for him after many fans turned on him for joining the Warriors.

The Knicks have also been linked to Kyrie Irving. Last summer, when Irving requested a trade from the Cleveland Cavaliers, the Knicks were reportedly on his list of preferred destinations. Like Durant, there are connections there. Irving grew up in West Orange, New Jersey, less than an hour from New York City.

He has also complimented Knicks star big man Kristaps Porzingis, telling reporters at the All-Star Game in February: "I told him I would love to play with a big like you, man, when we played them in the beginning of the season when he came to Boston. He's so versatile."

Furthermore, Yahoo's Chris Mannix reported that the Celtics are "scared" that Irving may leave in free agency. Mannix said Irving used to tell people in Cleveland that he one day wanted to play with the Knicks.

Irving has said he won't sign an extension with the Celtics, noting it doesn't make financial sense. He has said he wants to remain with the Celtics and win a championship. It's also not unusual for star players to compliment other stars around the league. But that hasn't stopped speculation about his next move.

While the Knicks have missed the playoffs the last five seasons, failing to win over 35 games in the last four years, they may be positioned to attract free agents going forward. They have a star big man in Porzingis, who has caught the attention of the NBA world (his recovery from a torn ACL is, of course, a big subplot in the Knicks future). They have two young lottery picks in guard Frank Ntilikina and forward Kevin Knox, the latter of whom has impressed at Summer League. They seem primed to have a high lottery pick this season.

And they have New York City. As seen with LeBron James choosing the Lakers, if star players want to go somewhere for the cultural fit, they'll go. Any star player choosing the Knicks knows they'll be getting a big market and the possibility to be the player that "saves" the team.

A lot can happen between now and next July. But a full year away, there is already buzz that the Knicks could be the next team to land a big star, and it's unlikely to die down during the season.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bu...cy-buzz-kevin-durant-kyrie-irving-2019-2018-7

mafra

Legend
I do believe we can now see the light at the end of the tunnel. And, no thanks to Donnie or Phil, it?s come the organic way... As Broadway has preached for years... to take rebuilding seriously and start by laying the foundation through the draft.

(1) Knicks now have a bunch of young, attractive assets:

KP
Knitiklina
Knox
Kanter
Robinson
Hardaway
Hezonga
Burke
Mudiay

Heck, even guys like Kornet, Hicks, Trier, Dotson are hanging on to the hope of becoming a dependable NBA rotation player.

(2) Knicks have all their first rounders moving forward, including next year?s lottery selection (which has potential to be a top 5 pick). So, add a talent like Zion or RJ to the mix.

(3) Knicks also have cap space, for once.... we currently sit 2/3rd of our way to a full max contract.

(4) Knicks have a competent HC-GM, in Fizdale and Perry. Their biggest value, right now, may be their relationships and how they?re viewed by the players. We did see it pan out with Super Mario, and they might?ve just whacked a grand slam in their very first draft.

(5) Setting/Scenery: Meaning, there?s still
Cache with MSG and Manhattan is still ?The City.? Yes, I did use the definite article. And, as is always the case, all this is happening at a moment in time that corresponds with some fortune... Especially within the hearts of potential free agents next Summer.

LeBron got swayed by his buddy Wade and he was lured to MIA by Riley. Magic brought him to LA. Cap happened to increase tremendously to allow GSW to sign KD.

In other words, putting yourself in position to be players is only 3/4ths of the work. To complete the mission, you need a little good timing as well. And Lord knows Knicks are due.

HOWEVER, we bungled the draft last year and didn?t maintain cap discipline. We still have Noah, Lee, Timmy, LT, all on the books for 2019 (this has to change). We must be closer to having money for near 2 max contracts by next July.

And, we have the KP acl recovery....

And, we have the stigma of our owner, Dolan. Along with the media scrutiny and cold winter.

But.... KD, Butler, Kyrie, Kawhi all seem to feel a little different. There seems to be something about what this upcoming NYK situation offers that somehow feels appealing to these 4... given the inner circle actors involved... and outside life things... I mean, they have to know if two of them join Knicks... Eastern Conference is all theirs.

I?m going to enjoy this season and hope to see the kids develop and play well. And I?m gonna stay warm beilieving we have a legitimate shot to land 2 of those aforementied game-changers...

We may not, we probably won?t, but there are signs and omens to suggest the dark ages are over. If we sign 1, or two, or none, we are close to crawling out of this malaise... one way or another.

If we get a lottery pick and 2 of those free agents... we are in the title window.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
I do believe we can now see the light at the end of the tunnel. And, no thanks to Donnie or Phil, it’s come the organic way... As Broadway has preached for years... to take rebuilding seriously and start by laying the foundation through the draft.

(1) Knicks now have a bunch of young, attractive assets:

KP
Knitiklina
Knox
Kanter
Robinson
Hardaway
Hezonga
Burke
Mudiay

Heck, even guys like Kornet, Hicks, Trier, Dotson are hanging on to the hope of becoming a dependable NBA rotation player.

(2) Knicks have all their first rounders moving forward, including next year’s lottery selection (which has potential to be a top 5 pick). So, add a talent like Zion or RJ to the mix.

(3) Knicks also have cap space, for once.... we currently sit 2/3rd of our way to a full max contract.

(4) Knicks have a competent HC-GM, in Fizdale and Perry. Their biggest value, right now, may be their relationships and how they’re viewed by the players. We did see it pan out with Super Mario, and they might’ve just whacked a grand slam in their very first draft.

(5) Setting/Scenery: Meaning, there’s still
Cache with MSG and Manhattan is still “The City.” Yes, I did use the definite article. And, as is always the case, all this is happening at a moment in time that corresponds with some fortune... Especially within the hearts of potential free agents next Summer.

LeBron got swayed by his buddy Wade and he was lured to MIA by Riley. Magic brought him to LA. Cap happened to increase tremendously to allow GSW to sign KD.

In other words, putting yourself in position to be players is only 3/4ths of the work. To complete the mission, you need a little good timing as well. And Lord knows Knicks are due.

HOWEVER, we bungled the draft last year and didn’t maintain cap discipline. We still have Noah, Lee, Timmy, LT, all on the books for 2019 (this has to change). We must be closer to having money for near 2 max contracts by next July.

And, we have the KP acl recovery....

And, we have the stigma of our owner, Dolan. Along with the media scrutiny and cold winter.

But.... KD, Butler, Kyrie, Kawhi all seem to feel a little different. There seems to be something about what this upcoming NYK situation offers that somehow feels appealing to these 4... given the inner circle actors involved... and outside life things... I mean, they have to know if two of them join Knicks... Eastern Conference is all theirs.

I’m going to enjoy this season and hope to see the kids develop and play well. And I’m gonna stay warm beilieving we have a legitimate shot to land 2 of those aforementied game-changers...

We may not, we probably won’t, but there are signs and omens to suggest the dark ages are over. If we sign 1, or two, or none, we are close to crawling out of this malaise... one way or another.

If we get a lottery pick and 2 of those free agents... we are in the title window.
Nice post Mafra. The Nets GM Marks is doing a phenomenal job undoing the damage King did, Perry needs to do the same undoing what PJ did though PJ never traded future firsts, so his job should be easier. Teams are always looking to trade guys to teams that can absorb contracts into cap space and trade picks to do it, Knicks seem more inclined to make a splash in FA rather than trying to stockpile picks but the key is good mgt. like not signing guys like THJ, Noah and even Baker to deals like they got.

mafra

Legend
It sounds like LT?s 7 mil isn?t guaranteed for 2019-2020. We can stretch Noah, although I prefer we dump the expiring deal somehow.

Perry?s job is to dump Timmy and Lee at some point before free agency next July. I would surrender a first in 2020 or beyond the facilitate a trade of Noah, Lee or Timmy.

If we can shed 2/3 of these... then stretch the other... Knicks should have enough to signs 2 max free agents and re-sign both KP and Hezonga.

Broadway

All Star
Nice post Mafra. The Nets GM Marks is doing a phenomenal job undoing the damage King did, Perry needs to do the same undoing what PJ did though PJ never traded future firsts, so his job should be easier. Teams are always looking to trade guys to teams that can absorb contracts into cap space and trade picks to do it, Knicks seem more inclined to make a splash in FA rather than trying to stockpile picks but the key is good mgt. like not signing guys like THJ, Noah and even Baker to deals like they got.

The Perry addition has IMO worked in more positive ways than not and I accredit most of our promising hope to him and not Mills. Remember Mills is the one who started off by giving THJR that stupid contract and now he's a redundant player when you think about it. If we can somehow trade him and Lee it would do wonders. IMO this is the last major task for mgmt to accomplish get rid of these two(they may have some value to a playoff team come February)...renounce Baker and Kanter and leave everyone else on the roster on hold(cap hold) or extend QO to them

Meanwhile as I've always said, if this guy was what he was cracked up to be no reason to let him go

He was so hella overrated and certainly Phil was when it came to drafting...look no further than what Perry/Mills did in just one offseason. I'd wager in the end that

Knox/Robinson/Trier/Kornet/Hicks/2019 >>>>>>> #kporzee/Knits/Dotson/Gomez/Thanasis/Early/Baker/Grant

Let's not even factor the young talent they brought in, in 12mos vs Phil's 4yrs here

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
I was wondering if Gaines was still around and not hearing about him was a sure sign that he was a "dead man walking" around the Garden. The guy hadn't been a scout for years in the NBA before PJ brought him back to be VP of Scouting, I think he's the last connection between the Knicks and the PJ era.

mafra

Legend
They know who is is, and probably a little disappointing he didn?t dominate more in SL... but with LT... there was no urgency to retain him... they liked his athleticism but probably figure they can bring him back if the desire to do so, at some point.

Still, why not cut Baker?

Broadway

All Star
They know who is is, and probably a little disappointing he didn?t dominate more in SL... but with LT... there was no urgency to retain him... they liked his athleticism but probably figure they can bring him back if the desire to do so, at some point.

Still, why not cut Baker?

I think Baker's contract is fully guaranteed(lol @ Phil Jackson)...maybe a little bitter to swallow in whole($4.5mil vs $100k) or possibly his contract will be easier to use as filler in a potential trade. Baker is pretty popular on social media that's fort sure...:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Tig said he wouldn't get waived and he was right

tiger0330

Legend
That Troy Williams news was out of the blue esp since he had a pretty good summer league. Didn't read anything that his guarantee came due at the end of the month or anything so if that wasn't the case why not wait until training camp to make the decision to waive him. Waiving a guy that is an athletic defensive player before you have had a chance to trade CLee or LT doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Had to be some other issue that caused the Knicks to waive him, maybe chemistry problems with Fiz? or the Knicks thought they were doing him a favor releasing him early so he could find a spot with another team.

tiger0330

Legend
That Troy Williams news was out of the blue esp since he had a pretty good summer league. Didn't read anything that his guarantee came due at the end of the month or anything so if that wasn't the case why not wait until training camp to make the decision to waive him. Waiving a guy that is an athletic defensive player before you have had a chance to trade CLee or LT doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Had to be some other issue that caused the Knicks to waive him, maybe chemistry problems with Fiz? or the Knicks thought they were doing him a favor releasing him early so he could find a spot with another team.
Just saw this, Knicks saved what amounted to chump change letting him go before the end of the month.

It’s easy to think of $100,000 in the NBA as roughly the equivalent of $10 to a normal person, but that little extra bit of guaranteed money may have motivated the Knicks to make the move now. That, or the Knicks may have already just decided they didn’t want Williams for next season, so they decided to give him as much time as possible to find a new home.

Broadway

All Star
Just saw this, Knicks saved what amounted to chump change letting him go before the end of the month.

It’s easy to think of $100,000 in the NBA as roughly the equivalent of $10 to a normal person, but that little extra bit of guaranteed money may have motivated the Knicks to make the move now. That, or the Knicks may have already just decided they didn’t want Williams for next season, so they decided to give him as much time as possible to find a new home.

It?s 100k vs the field most likely and the fact this is the second time he?s been waived during a Fiz watch. He was waived in Memphis too.

I will monitor Fiz?s personal vendettas from here on out because he has a track record. In T-Roy?s case this is kind of Busch League when you think about it, the kid played hard and had a purposeful use as you aptly pointed out

Broadway

All Star
Fiz said as soon as he arrived Lance Thomas is our ?Draymond Green?....so take that for his word although we don?t hafta lol

paris401

Starter
but we still have 'opie' ... (ron baker) - i ain't sold on this new regime... it looks/smells/acts like the old one...

tiger0330

Legend
It’s 100k vs the field most likely and the fact this is the second time he’s been waived during a Fiz watch. He was waived in Memphis too.

I will monitor Fiz’s personal vendettas from here on out because he has a track record. In T-Roy’s case this is kind of Busch League when you think about it, the kid played hard and had a purposeful use as you aptly pointed out

This is definitely a bogus move, no way to talk around it
I got a feeling he goes back to Houston. They could use a minimum type player that knows their system after losing 2 defenders in Ariza and Mbah-a-Moute, if he signs with them Troy might have gotten feelers from Morey in Vegas and he might have asked to be let out of his contract with the Knicks. Otherwise a bogus move for sure, he looked better than Hicks, Dotson and busted his butt playing all 5 games unlike Nits, Kornet.

mafra

Legend
NBA Insider: 'Very accomplished' third player plotting to join Kyrie Irving & Jimmy Butler in 2019

Irving and Butler are expected to be two of the prizes of the 2019 free agent class

By Danny Abriano | 3:15PM

Kyrie Irving and Jimmy Butler could be among the star-studded NBA free agent class of 2019, and a Bulls Insider says a "very accomplished" player is plotting to join them wherever they end up.

On the Bulls Talk Podcast, Mark Schanowski discussed 2019 before Vincent Goodwill interjected.

"The top guys have already been talking with their friends around the league," Schanowski said. "I'm sure Kawhi (Leonard) has already talked to LeBron (James) -- their plan to reunite or get together in Los Angeles in 2019. Klay Thompson will be a free agent in 2019. Most likely he's gonna stay right where he is with that dynasty out with the Warriors. And then you look at Kyrie Irving and Jimmy Butler talking about getting together somewhere. That could be with the Knicks or Nets."

It was then that Goodwill jumped in...

"There's a third guy that I can't mention, but yeah," Goodwill said about another 2019 free agent joining Irving and Butler. "I can't tell you (who) but I can tell you it's a very accomplished NBA player. Very accomplished."

The label "accomplished player" is a bit vague, and it's not known whether it's a current star or a player who might cost far less. Fitting two max players and another star under any team's salary cap would be tricky.

Most of the big name free agents expected to hit the market in 2019 are already on the Knicks' radar, with them reportedly planning to target Kevin Durant above all else.

The Knicks will have room for one max player and could have room for two -- especially if they clear Joakim Noah's salary.

https://www.sny.tv/knicks/news/nba-...-kyrie-irving--jimmy-butler-in-2019/286433956

Kiyaman

Legend
I got a feeling he goes back to Houston. They could use a minimum type player that knows their system after losing 2 defenders in Ariza and Mbah-a-Moute, if he signs with them Troy might have gotten feelers from Morey in Vegas and he might have asked to be let out of his contract with the Knicks. Otherwise a bogus move for sure, he looked better than Hicks, Dotson and busted his butt playing all 5 games unlike Nits, Kornet.

WOW! After watching the Knicks summer league lineups of Troy/Knox/and our big-Draft-steal (PF) Mr. Mitchell Robinson ..
I had to put Troy Williams summer performance into next-season 10-man rotation along with rookies Knox and Mitchell too.
Troy Williams energy-defense off the bench as our backup SF is a Knicks Need, plus would've made a great piece off the bench for next season rotation.

Not keeping Troy Williams could only mean we will see a lot of Lance Thomas and Courtney Lee in coach Fizdale regular season rotation, plus watch guard Timmy pushed to defend opponents SF on the defensive-end for 30 minutes a night SMH !!!