Page 42 of 53 FirstFirst ... 122236373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
    12th man

KP was also going to be a RFA so we could have kept him for the qualifying so we weren’t forced to trade him. Mills the moron is still around since I read he’s still on the board of MSG, just when I said Knicks fans hope to never hear of him again.

Veteran

It’s a terrible trade, but also, Tim Hardaway Sr has no reason to tell the truth. Of course, according to him, Dallas came to the Knicks wanting his son.

KP wanted out. That’s what prompted the trade. And if we hadn’t traded him, he would have resigned us with us and then immediately demanded a trade out of town. We hired Thibodeau years too late to save our relationship with KP.

Our franchise is super dumb for trading him while he was hurt.
    Last edited by htr10; Aug 03, 2020 at 04:16.

12th man

Quote Originally Posted by htr10 View Post
    It’s a terrible trade, but also, Tim Hardaway Sr has no reason to tell the truth. Of course, according to him, Dallas came to the Knicks wanting his son.

KP wanted out. That’s what prompted the trade. And if we hadn’t traded him, he would have resigned us with us and then immediately demanded a trade out of town. We hired Thibodeau years too late to save our relationship with KP.

Our franchise is super dumb for trading him while he was hurt.
    I’m inclined to believe TH Sr., KP was thought to be untouchable, restricted and still on his rookie deal so why even attempt to trade for him and bring him into trade talks. I said when the news first came out that the deal was a massive cap clearing but that for the trade to be successful we’d have to use the 70B we got. We didn’t, Mills and Perry spent it on a bunch of role players and tried to sell it to NY fans as a package of players that we would love. Not sure why Scott Perry is still here, he should be gone like Mills is after the worst trade in team history.

Over at P&T.com

To that last point, many fans wondered why struggling players like Kevin Knox, Dennis Smith Jr., and Frank Ntilikina didn’t get playing time in the G League. The answer, at least according to Marc Berman of The Post, was that Perry was concerned about how such a move would be perceived.

According to an NBA source familiar with the situation, [vice-president of player development Craig] Robinson lobbied to have the Knicks’ top prospects who weren’t getting enough NBA time to spend a few games — or weeks — in the G-League to gain rhythm and grow confidence.

Perry rejected the notion, feeling it would be perceived as too big a demotion and felt practice time as well as being around NBA coaches was more vital, according to a source. Robinson’s counter was that during the NBA season, practice time and scrimmages are limited.

Craig Robinson, one of Steve Mills’ Princeton buddies, is no longer with the team, but I happen to agree with him on this point. Many of the league’s best franchises, like the Raptors and Spurs, have sent their first-round picks to the G League. And who was Perry worried about offending? The players? If kids like Knox and DSJ thought they were too good for the G Leauge, they were sorely mistaken. More likely, Perry was too concerned with how such a move would like in the New York press.

The good news is the new head coach Tom Thibodeau went out in his opening press conference and immediately made a case for sending youngsters to the G League:

“I think game-time is important. So if a young player is not getting the appropriate amount of time to develop, we’ll utilize the G-League. That’s become an important part of our league. We’ll certainly take advantage of that.’’
    I think it’s fair to be wary of Thibs’ commitment to playing his young guys, but nobody can say the dude will be scared to make a move because how it will be perceived. Perhaps we’ll see players like Knox, Frank and DSJ in the Westchester next season.

Veteran

My biggest question with giving G League time to guys like DSJ and Knox is will anyone teach them how to play more efficiently or is it just going to feed their egos by letting them rack up stats playing hero ball against lesser competition?

Maybe Ntilikina could benefit from G League time but I think he probably starts for us if Payton is indeed a goner.

Now that we have Thibs on board. I kind of want to see what he can do with these guys.

12th man

I criticized Fizdale when DSJ was struggling saying Fiz was an idiot and why isn't DSJ trying to find his rhythm in the Gleague rather than sitting on the bench. Looks like Perry had something to do with this.

Another change I suggested was making player development an on court job instead of the front office one under Robinson, read thats what the Knicks want to do.

Also said we should get guys like Vinson to develop our young guys and I read that Thibs thinks the coaching staff should have development guys if the team is a younger one like the Knicks are so I would expect his assistant coaching guys to be younger than some of the names that are rumored to be coaches.

Count Kemba Walker among the free agents who considered the Knicks last offseason before ultimately signing elsewhere.

Walker, who ultimately signed a megadeal with the Boston Celtics, said the Knicks were a "very serious" contender for his services.

"To be honest, yes, yes. Very serious," Walker said during the R2C2 podcast on The Ringer. "At one point, yes, yes. Before Boston actually came along, the Knicks was one of my top priorities, actually, because I was thinking that they were gonna get another player. But it didn't work out."

At that point, co-host CC Sabathia jumped in and said "You made the right choice, dog!"

Walker then expanded on the situation, but only to a point. And he wouldn't say whether the other player he thought might wind up there was Kevin Durant.

"That's pretty much all I can say, though. The Knicks, they were definitely a priority at one point, yes," Walker added.

Sabathia then weighed in again, saying that NBA players have interest in New York for a reason, citing Durant and Kyrie Irving winding up in Brooklyn, but that the Knicks organization is a tough sell right now.

"Guys want to play in New York, it's just hard to play for that organization," Sabathia said.

(Sounds to new like KD is lying then. Knicks wanted KD, said for him to pick his man... KD wants KI but Irving has to go to Nets... Knicks float Kemba option, but KD follows KI to BKLN.

Gonna enjoy watching Nets implode next 2 years.

12th man

Quote Originally Posted by tiger0330 View Post
    I criticized Fizdale when DSJ was struggling saying Fiz was an idiot and why isn't DSJ trying to find his rhythm in the Gleague rather than sitting on the bench. Looks like Perry had something to do with this.

Another change I suggested was making player development an on court job instead of the front office one under Robinson, read thats what the Knicks want to do.

Also said we should get guys like Vinson to develop our young guys and I read that Thibs thinks the coaching staff should have development guys if the team is a younger one like the Knicks are so I would expect his assistant coaching guys to be younger than some of the names that are rumored to be coaches.
    Rumor mill has us hiring Kenny Payne of Kentucky as an asst coach. He's got a player development reputation with KAT praising the guy as the best player development coach anywhere. The guy has to be brilliant because the guy makes 900K a year as a college asst coach. There's supposedly some resistance to his hire because they're still paying Fiz but I don't think that's going to be a problem with Craig Robinson gone and his spot open.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger0330 View Post
    Rumor mill has us hiring Kenny Payne of Kentucky as an asst coach. He's got a player development reputation with KAT praising the guy as the best player development coach anywhere. The guy has to be brilliant because the guy makes 900K a year as a college asst coach. There's supposedly some resistance to his hire because they're still paying Fiz but I don't think that's going to be a problem with Craig Robinson gone and his spot open.
    Payne and Knox reunited...

He has been on John Calipari’s staff at Kentucky since 2010 and has coached and developed many NBA big men, including New Jersey native Karl-Anthony Towns.

In the 10 drafts of the Calipari era, 38 players have been selected in the NBA Draft, more than any other school. Included in the recent run are 29 first-round picks, three No. 1 overall selections (Towns, Anthony Davis and John Wall) and 21 lottery selections, including current Knicks forwards Julius Randle and Kevin Knox Phoenix guard Devin Booker.

“I think it is a huge get because Woody knows the lay of the land and he can really kind of navigate it with Thibs and get him through potential pitfalls and things like that,” Fizdale said on SiriusXM NBA Radio this past week with hosts Justin Termine and Eddie Johnson.

“You know, it’s not an easy place to work, it’s not an easy place to coach. There’s a lot of different things that swirl around the team and that’s just what comes with being the New York Knicks. And so because Woody successfully navigated that and really understands the dynamic of New York and New York City I think he’s really going to be of huge value to Thibs in that situation. And Woody can flat out coach and so that’s where he’s also going to help him is from that standpoint on his own accord.”

12th man

I don't think Kenny Payne takes the job after reading he's the highest paid asst coach in college bball and his son Zan is going to play for Kentucky this year. 900K in Kentucky has to be like 1.5M in NY when you have to have dual residences in both places and are the Knicks offering that kind of money to him to become an asst to Thibs? Even more important, watching your son play for the team you coach has to be a special once in a lifetime moment that you have to think hard about missing. Add to the uncertainty about a Knicks position that has an average tenure of a couple of years vs the 9 years he's been at Kentucky and I don't think it adds up to a decision to take a job with the Knicks

Bondy - NYDN

The bubble is not easy to absorb for Knicks fans. It’s a reminder of the mistakes, the losing, the reasons their team is in the middle of a nine-month layoff (at least!).

Kristaps Porzingis is the low-hanging fruit and the most glaring of the organization’s recent flubs, with Steve Mills presiding over a trade that backfired like a 10-cent beer night in Philadelphia. Now Porzingis is averaging 30 points and 10 rebounds in Orlando, while the Knicks are waiting for permission to hold a voluntary minicamp under their eighth coach in the last eight years. But we’ve already dissected the Porzingis disaster. There’s more for the Knicks to regret from the bubble. Mills and Phil Jackson have created ghosts of Knicks past.

Michael Porter Jr., the latest emerging young talent on the Nuggets, was available New York in the 2018 draft, and was such the fan’s choice they chanted his name inside Barclays Center. Normally fans are wrong about these things (see their excitement for Jimmer Fredette and Jahlil Okafor), but Porter Jr. is an exceptional talent whose biggest question mark was always his health. The Knicks, like every other team, understood Porter Jr. would require at least a year off to recover from his injured back, which dropped him in the draft from a surefire top-5 to No. 14. New York had a year to burn because Porzingis was coming off ACL surgery, but used its ninth pick on Kevin Knox — another project with less upside — and proceeded to lose a league-high 65 games.

Porter would’ve been worth the wait.

The 10th and 11th picks that year — Mikal Bridges and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, respectively — are both shining in the bubble. Knox, 20, is still very young but has triggered more concerns than excitement. His defense and offensive efficiency remain underwhelming. His trade value is low. Porter Jr., on the other hand, reeled off games in the last week with 37 points and 12 rebounds, then 30 points with 15 boards, then 27 points with 12 boards. He joined Blake Griffin and Trae Young as the only rookies since 2000 with back-to-back 30-point double-doubles. The Knicks haven’t had a player — forget about a rookie — with consecutive 30-point double-doubles since Carmelo Anthony in 2013.

It’s too early for final judgements and Knox will always have the physical tools of a versatile wing, but adopting optimism for Knicks’ decisions against the evidence is like testing expired milk. It looks perfectly fine and you want to believe it didn’t sour, but deep down you know it stinks, and yet you can’t stop from smelling the milk, even though, in the end, you’ll probably get a little nauseous.

On that same Denver roster, the Knicks can mourn another soured opportunity. In Phil Jackson’s first draft of 2014, the Zen Master used his 34th pick on Cleanthony Early, who was last seen playing in Saudi Arabia and France. He totaled 56 NBA games and only six came after he was shot during a robbery attempt outside of a Queens strip club. Seven spots after the Early selection, the Nuggets took Serbian star Nikola Jokic.

On that same Denver roster, the Knicks can mourn another soured opportunity. In Phil Jackson’s first draft of 2014, the Zen Master used his 34th pick on Cleanthony Early, who was last seen playing in Saudi Arabia and France. He totaled 56 NBA games and only six came after he was shot during a robbery attempt outside of a Queens strip club. Seven spots after the Early selection, the Nuggets took Serbian star Nikola Jokic.

Three years later, Jackson was intrigued by Donovan Mitchell but instead selected Frenchman Frank Ntilikina. Another mistake. The Jazz have a star playmaker while the Knicks’ point guards have been about as effective as a Kanye West intervention.

Dolan nets a lottery miracle and come from nowhere to steal a generational player... oh, it’s the Rangers

12th man

Knicks got their man Kenny Payne. Didn't know he played in the NBA. Great hire, Knicks must have paid through the nose for him.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ny-payne-staff

Veteran

Knicks not fooling around with spending money on front office and staff. In theory, Payne could be transformative for player development. My biggest concern is whether or not all these pieces can come together.