Knicks Insider: "All Things Knicks"

tiger0330

Legend
Real shame a NYC institution the Daily News who at one time in the 1940's had the highest circulation of any NYC newspaper of 2.4M papers laid off half of its staff today including Frank Isola. It wasn't a fun place to work with Isola saying he was only in the office a few times in the past year after his associates told him the office was a depressing place to be and told him to stay away. The new owner made expected staff reductions in an effort to slash costs due to falling ad revenues and readership in the dying traditional journalism business.

Broadway

All Star
Maybe the other Noah has seen his last game as a Knick, they need a roster spot having let go of TW to get down to 15 plus 2 2 way contracts.

Yeah somebody is getting moved/waived it's not hard to figure that at this point. Solid pickup though. Another former lottery pick on the roster, I bet he gives what O'Quinn gave if given the minutes. See it's not hard to rebuild when you commit to doing it

tiger0330

Legend
We finally got the right Noah...lol

Vonleh makes 9 lottery picks on the Knicks roster. I said Perry should get as many lottery tickets as he could and it was like panning for gold look in the right places and look at enough guys and you have to strike gold eventually. Vonleh will be an off the bench guy and not much more after 4 years in the league but he'll get you some rebounds and block some shots. Would have preferred Quinn for his play on both sides of the ball, in particular I'll miss his passing.

mafra

Legend
Enes Kanter is dreaming big ? which, for the Knicks, means dreaming long range.

The Knicks? 6-foot-11 center said Monday that he believes his sad-sack team has a ?really, really high chance?? of signing both Kyrie Irving and Jimmy Butler when the pair of free-agents-to-be hit the market in 2019.

Asked by Fox Sports 1?s Colin Cowherd whether the two superstars have genuine interest in coming to New York next season, Kanter said: ?Yes. And the Knicks have a really, really high chance to get them next offseason. I believe that and I promise I think they will.?

While Kanter?s words were pure speculation, the pieces could fall into place for the Knicks to hit it big in the 2019 free-agent market.

mafra

Legend
Knicks leading NBA in second chances:

https://theathletic.com/442309/2018...-as-they-pile-up-young-but-distressed-talent/

The Knicks have become one of the NBA leaders in the second draft ? picking up lottery picks who haven?t done well in their first stop and seeing if they can be the franchise that makes good on their talent. There?s science and art to gobbling up distressed assets and the Knicks have done their best to load up on them. Perry calls it ?talent acquisition.? In essence, it?s also like buying a lottery ticket ? the odds of hitting aren?t high but the reward can be.

When asked if the Knicks were in the purpose of second drafting after they signed Hezonja, Perry said the team?s strategy was clear over the past year.

?You?ve heard me talk a lot about us being in a talent acquisition phase,? he said. ?He?s another one that fits into that. He obviously was a high pick. When we had the opportunity to get him we thought it was important to get him. They happen to be all former lottery picks. We?re just glad to have him now and fit him into what we?re doing and hopefully he?ll really take off and continue to get better.?

The Knicks rank fourth in the league in the amount of lottery picks on their team with eight. Only the Hornets, Suns, and Wizards have more ? they all have nine. But only the Suns and Bulls have more players picked in the lottery from the 2014 draft onward ? the players who are entering their fifth seasons and might be on their second or third teams.

In addition to Kristaps Porzingis, Frank Ntilikina and Kevin Knox ? their own lottery picks ? the Knicks have traded for Emmanuel Mudiay and signed Hezonja. Mudiay was the seventh overall pick in 2015 and Hezonja went fifth. Each has struggled in their careers so far but the Knicks haven?t given up much to try to acquire them. They acquired Mudiay in a trade where they sent away a half-season of Doug McDermott, who was about to hit restricted free agency. Hezonja received a one-year deal.

The Knicks have had success with this strategy already. They signed Trey Burke to a G-League contract last fall, then brought him up to the NBA in January and watched him rejuvenate his career. The ninth overall pick in the 2013 draft, Burke set career-highs in field goal percentage, per-36 stats, and his efficiency numbers last season.

When the Knicks dealt away Carmelo Anthony last September they traded him for Enes Kanter and McDermott, both former lottery picks. Kanter went No. 3 in 2011 and McDermott went 11th in 2014.

They also signed Michael Beasley to a one-year, minimum contract last August. Beasley, the No. 2 pick in 2008, had his best season in seven years, since he was a 22-year-old in his third NBA season and agreed to terms with the Lakers last week on a one-year, $3.5 million contract.

The Bulls have also taken to this strategy. When they traded away Jimmy Butler last summer, they acquired Kris Dunn (No. 5 in 2016) and Zach LaVine (13th in 2014). They signed Jabari Parker (the No. 2 pick in 2014) to a two-year, $40 million deal this month. They traded for a struggling Cameron Payne (N0. 14 in 2015) when they dealt McDermott to Oklahoma City at the 2017 trade deadline.

And while the Suns have six lottery picks on their team taken in 2014 or later, they?ve drafted them all.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Kanter is a big social media doofus and knows nothing. There's a recent report Kyrie is talking and making plans to stay with the Celtics long term. We might be in the discussion but nothing really solid of landing a big fish. Much the same Carmelo was talking to the Heat prior to being traded from OKC and released thereafter, he decided to go to Houston

There's also talk Kawhi will look into staying with Toronto long term. Our primary focus should be turning 1-2 more of our Pups into stars outside of #kporzee. Free Agency will be a big IF slash major bonus

tiger0330

Legend
Vonleh makes 9 lottery picks on the Knicks roster. I said Perry should get as many lottery tickets as he could and it was like panning for gold look in the right places and look at enough guys and you have to strike gold eventually. Vonleh will be an off the bench guy and not much more after 4 years in the league but he'll get you some rebounds and block some shots. Would have preferred Quinn for his play on both sides of the ball, in particular I'll miss his passing.

Knicks leading NBA in second chances:

https://theathletic.com/442309/2018...-as-they-pile-up-young-but-distressed-talent/

The Knicks have become one of the NBA leaders in the second draft ? picking up lottery picks who haven?t done well in their first stop and seeing if they can be the franchise that makes good on their talent. There?s science and art to gobbling up distressed assets and the Knicks have done their best to load up on them. Perry calls it ?talent acquisition.? In essence, it?s also like buying a lottery ticket ? the odds of hitting aren?t high but the reward can be.

When asked if the Knicks were in the purpose of second drafting after they signed Hezonja, Perry said the team?s strategy was clear over the past year.

?You?ve heard me talk a lot about us being in a talent acquisition phase,? he said. ?He?s another one that fits into that. He obviously was a high pick. When we had the opportunity to get him we thought it was important to get him. They happen to be all former lottery picks. We?re just glad to have him now and fit him into what we?re doing and hopefully he?ll really take off and continue to get better.?

The Knicks rank fourth in the league in the amount of lottery picks on their team with eight. Only the Hornets, Suns, and Wizards have more ? they all have nine. But only the Suns and Bulls have more players picked in the lottery from the 2014 draft onward ? the players who are entering their fifth seasons and might be on their second or third teams.

In addition to Kristaps Porzingis, Frank Ntilikina and Kevin Knox ? their own lottery picks ? the Knicks have traded for Emmanuel Mudiay and signed Hezonja. Mudiay was the seventh overall pick in 2015 and Hezonja went fifth. Each has struggled in their careers so far but the Knicks haven?t given up much to try to acquire them. They acquired Mudiay in a trade where they sent away a half-season of Doug McDermott, who was about to hit restricted free agency. Hezonja received a one-year deal.

The Knicks have had success with this strategy already. They signed Trey Burke to a G-League contract last fall, then brought him up to the NBA in January and watched him rejuvenate his career. The ninth overall pick in the 2013 draft, Burke set career-highs in field goal percentage, per-36 stats, and his efficiency numbers last season.

When the Knicks dealt away Carmelo Anthony last September they traded him for Enes Kanter and McDermott, both former lottery picks. Kanter went No. 3 in 2011 and McDermott went 11th in 2014.

They also signed Michael Beasley to a one-year, minimum contract last August. Beasley, the No. 2 pick in 2008, had his best season in seven years, since he was a 22-year-old in his third NBA season and agreed to terms with the Lakers last week on a one-year, $3.5 million contract.

The Bulls have also taken to this strategy. When they traded away Jimmy Butler last summer, they acquired Kris Dunn (No. 5 in 2016) and Zach LaVine (13th in 2014). They signed Jabari Parker (the No. 2 pick in 2014) to a two-year, $40 million deal this month. They traded for a struggling Cameron Payne (N0. 14 in 2015) when they dealt McDermott to Oklahoma City at the 2017 trade deadline.

And while the Suns have six lottery picks on their team taken in 2014 or later, they?ve drafted them all.
Funny I noticed what this guy wrote. I think this was written before we picked up Vonleh who was picked in the same spot as Knox, 9 in the 2014 draft.

mafra

Legend
Amazing what Perry has done in 12 months. More so than what Donnie and Phil did combined

It may amount to nothing... but this is the smart play.

mafra

Legend
Funny I noticed what this guy wrote. I think this was written before we picked up Vonleh who was picked in the same spot as Knox, 9 in the 2014 draft.

That makes 8 lottery picks for Knicks... all 25 or younger:

(2011)
Kanter

(2013)
Trey Burke

(2014)
Vonleh (replaces Beasley)

(2015)
KP
Mudiay
Hezonja

(2017)
Knitiklina

(2018)
Knox

* Robinson and Trier lottery talents.

Timmy Hardway and Lance Thomas old vets. I would love for nothing more than to have this plus lottery stud next draft... and just that...

Then watch us go on a SA run for 10 years with all the youth we accumulated... screw free agents. They?ll come flocking if this thing takes off!

Mudiay
Knitiklina
Knox
KP
Robinson

Hezonja our 6th man extraordinaire

Burke and Timmy and Kanter spearhead the second unit.

Add wing lottery stud in draft...

Boom!

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Amazing what Perry has done in 12 months. More so than what Donnie and Phil did combined

It may amount to nothing... but this is the smart play.
So far so good with the Perry hire. I always admired the deal making skills of Pat Riley, Presti or Ainge. Haven't seen that ability in him yet.

mafra

Legend
What?s great about rolling out the band ? KP and the lottery Picks ? is you either hit lightinning in a bottle or you bottom out. Either you offer legitimate hope and enjoyment even if the Ls pile up. To
Earn the lottery pick the non-tank way... or you surprise and player show promise and you have a more enjoyable season.
Expectations high for future even if tempered for short term.

Broadway

All Star
Looks like #kporzee is working on all things that provide strength, balance, mental sharpness...might also be working on the quick/reaction time. I don't see a major change in his overall physique but he looks good(lean) and seems to be in good spirits. Fizdale and his wife are over there now as we speak

mafra

Legend
It?ll be interesting to see what happens if th kids come out and surprise and get off to a 20-18 start or something..I hope KP doesn?t rush back tho... I prefer he takes extra time then getting back too soon.