Knicks Insider: "All Things Knicks"

mafra

Legend
The Knicks are last in the league in assists, an indictment of the point-guard position.

?That makes me yack to be honest with you,? said Fizdale, who stressed point guard isn?t the only spot he?s looking at potentially changing. ?But we can only go from there. Yes, I hate that we?re last in the league in assists. It drives me crazy.?

The Knicks are last in the league in assists, an indictment of the point-guard position.

?That makes me yack to be honest with you,? said Fizdale, who stressed point guard isn?t the only spot he?s looking at potentially changing. ?But we can only go from there. Yes, I hate that we?re last in the league in assists. It drives me crazy.?

Ironically, Ntilkina might be the player on the roster who is best suited to be a ?pass-first? player. We have some other guys like Mudiay, Burke, Hezonja, etc. who could improve ball movement if moved into the starting lineup, but we definitely have a roster made up of guys who predominately want to create their own shot.

Broadway

All Star
Ironically, Ntilkina might be the player on the roster who is best suited to be a “pass-first” player. We have some other guys like Mudiay, Burke, Hezonja, etc. who could improve ball movement if moved into the starting lineup, but we definitely have a roster made up of guys who predominately want to create their own shot.

The scary thing about the latter 3 is the turnover and lack of offensive continuity issue. Like the ball will move but quite possibly to the wrong person/team and their inability to convert at a high clip while not losing a teammate or two in the process. In the end though we have to give the team a shot at playing better to start games which is more than likely the true aim here

mafra

Legend
Almost a year to the day when Knits stood up to the King, wouldn?t back down, even called out the fake tough guy...

We know that fiery spirit resides in his belly... will he be able channel it? Is he deferring bc he is just 20?

On November 13, 2017, Knicks fans were still coming down from the high that Kristaps Porzingis had caused with his ridiculous early season play, and the team was sitting at 7-6 while facing the prospect of a daunting matchup against the defending Eastern Conference champion Cleveland Cavaliers at Madison Square Garden. Under normal circumstances, LeBron?s mere presence in the Big Apple would be enough to get New Yorkers riled up, but in this case James had added some fuel to the fire with comments he made two days prior, after a Cavs victory over the Dallas Mavericks.

James praised Mavericks rookie Dennis Smith Jr., a player the Knicks had bypassed in order to select Ntilikina with the 8th pick in the 2017 NBA draft. The Mavericks took Smith Jr. with the very next pick.

?The Knicks passed on a really good one, and Dallas got the diamond in the rough,? James said, according to ESPN. ?He should be a Knick. That?s going to make some headlines, but he should be a Knick. Dallas is definitely, I know they?re excited that he didn?t go there.?

James didn?t explicitly call out Ntilikina, and he actually later clarified that his comments were a clumsy attempt to call out former Knicks president Phil Jackson ? the two had previously clashed after James didn?t take kindly to Jackson?s use of the word ?posse.? Still, a number of Knicks, including Porzingis and Enes Kanter, came to Ntilikina?s defense after James made his comments, and heading into the Knicks-Cavs game there was a tangible tension in the MSG air.

Those tensions came to a head late in the first quarter, after LeBron jammed in an alley-oop to give the Cavs a 23-22 lead with roughly 40 seconds left in the period. Ntilikina went to pick up the ball so the Knicks could inbound and look to retake the lead on the next possession, but LeBron stood in his way, doing one of those things where he pretends he isn?t being an obstruction on purpose even though he clearly is trying to be intimidating.

Ntilikina was not intimidated. He grabbed the ball and then gave LeBron a little shove with his forearm. Instead of walking away, LeBron stood there and wiggled his shoulders in yet another attempt to let Ntilikina know he should be afraid. Ntilikina was not intimidated.

The Garden began to erupt as Ntilikina held both of his arms outstretched in what can only be described as a ?come at me, bro? pose. In that moment, he truly became the Monsieur of MSG.

The Knicks gave the Cavs a run for their money, going up by more than 20 at one point, but a LeBron three pointer with just over a minute left helped the Cavs complete their comeback, and they won the game by a final score of 104-101.

Ntilikina finished the contest with 7 points (2-5 shooting), 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 6 steals and 1 punking of LeBron in just over 24 minutes of gametime.

After the game, Ntilikina was asked about the dustup with LeBron, and he (perhaps unwittingly) pushed his way even deeper into the hearts of Knicks fans everywhere by basically saying that it didn?t matter to him that LeBron had been the one involved in the situation.

?He was in my way to get the ball, to get the ball out of bounds,? Ntilikina said. ?It could have been anyone, so I just pushed him to get the ball in. He was in my way. It could have been anyone.?

https://www.postingandtoasting.com/...nicks-history-frank-ntilikina-takes-on-lebron

tiger0330

Legend
LeBron was right DSJ all day everyday. Expected Nits to come faster out of the gate this season, but so far we get questions about whether he can even play PG.

He is shooting 90% on his freebies which gives hope that his shot can get a lot better.

RkPlayerSeasonAgeGGSMPFGFGAFG%3P3PA3P%2P2PA2P%eFG%FTFTAFT%ORBDRBTRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTS
1Frank Ntilikina2018-1920141426.02.77.9.3451.13.7.2881.64.1.397.4140.80.9.9170.11.71.83.51.20.41.92.97.3
2Dennis Smith2018-1921121228.95.813.0.4491.53.8.3914.39.2.473.5062.02.8.7060.82.02.83.80.90.43.33.115.2

Last edited:
LeBron was right DSJ all day everyday. Expected Nits to come faster out of the gate this season, but so far we get questions about whether he can even play PG.

He is shooting 90% on his freebies which gives hope that his shot can get a lot better.

RkPlayerSeasonAgeGGSMPFGFGAFG%3P3PA3P%2P2PA2P%eFG%FTFTAFT%ORBDRBTRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTS
1Frank Ntilikina2018-1920141426.02.77.9.3451.13.7.2881.64.1.397.4140.80.9.9170.11.71.83.51.20.41.92.97.3
2Dennis Smith2018-1921121228.95.813.0.4491.53.8.3914.39.2.473.5062.02.8.7060.82.02.83.80.90.43.33.115.2

DSJ is better than Ntilikina offensively, but that doesn?t make DSJ a ?good? player?. DSJ has 40 turnovers to 46 assists this season. That?s awful from your starting PG. Cuban hyped DSJ coming out of the draft like he was guaranteed superstar, but he?s not going to be a star.

Mitchell and Tatum were the 2 had to have players in that lottery. Ntilikina and DSJ are both irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Their teams still being lottery teams attest to that.

Also, **** Lebron.

mafra

Legend
LeBron was dead wrong...

First of all, 76ers and Lakers took Fultz and Ball over Tatum. James knew he was heading to LAK this time last year, so instead of taking a jab at Phil Jax he should?ve been pissed Lakers took Ball over Tatum.

Secondly, as it concerns the Knicks, I don?t mind passing on DSJ for Knits now... if I had a re-do... I take Mitchell 1000/1000 times. Heck, I even take John Collins, Jarrett Allen, Anuboby, Kuzma ahead of DSJ.

So, LeBron would?ve made the same mistake as Phil.

DSJ a much more aggressive offensive player but he?s not too efficient. He attempts double the shots as Knits (needs 14 shots to avg 15 points). He has. 5:3 assists to turnover ratio and he barely averages 2 FT attempts a game.

For their careers, so far, DSJ is shooting 32% from downtown and Knits shooting 31%.

So, while DSJ has been the better scorer, marginally, Knits has the edge on defense.

I don?t regret passing on DSJ at all.

And, like you mentioned, Frank has a smooth jump shot. Form is fine. We can work with that. He?s also 6?7? and still growing. I would still bet on his future over DSJ.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Trier's 45 day limit on his 2 way contract contract is coming up I believe DEC 1. Who do you think the Knicks cut to make a roster spot for him? Baker to me is the most likely despite the fact the Knicks owe him 2M, he's not played recently and plays the same position as Zo.

tiger0330

Legend
Trier's 45 day limit on his 2 way contract contract is coming up I believe DEC 1. Who do you think the Knicks cut to make a roster spot for him? Baker to me is the most likely despite the fact the Knicks owe him 2M, he's not played recently and plays the same position as Zo.
Saw an article today discussing this and I erred in saying the Knicks owe Baker 2M, it's 4.5M, I erred in remembering the Knicks paid him 4.5M for 2 years when he got an 8.9M/2yr deal. What was Mills thinking signing him to that kind of money again when we're waiving guys like Troy Williams for a few hundred thousand.

Anyway the 4.5M is going to be a factor in keeping him and the guy most likely to be waived is Kornet, we owe him the remainder of the 1.6M deal he signed and he's playing in the GLeague currently. 2 others they mentioned Lee and Kanter are real long shots.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
LeBron was dead wrong...

First of all, 76ers and Lakers took Fultz and Ball over Tatum. James knew he was heading to LAK this time last year, so instead of taking a jab at Phil Jax he should’ve been pissed Lakers took Ball over Tatum.

Secondly, as it concerns the Knicks, I don’t mind passing on DSJ for Knits now... if I had a re-do... I take Mitchell 1000/1000 times. Heck, I even take John Collins, Jarrett Allen, Anuboby, Kuzma ahead of DSJ.

So, LeBron would’ve made the same mistake as Phil.

DSJ a much more aggressive offensive player but he’s not too efficient. He attempts double the shots as Knits (needs 14 shots to avg 15 points). He has. 5:3 assists to turnover ratio and he barely averages 2 FT attempts a game.

For their careers, so far, DSJ is shooting 32% from downtown and Knits shooting 31%.

So, while DSJ has been the better scorer, marginally, Knits has the edge on defense.

I don’t regret passing on DSJ at all.

And, like you mentioned, Frank has a smooth jump shot. Form is fine. We can work with that. He’s also 6”7’ and still growing. I would still bet on his future over DSJ.

I DO!!!

I WOULDN'T AND WON'T!!!

Again folks please stop overrating Knits defense and here's a perfect example why

I've seen Lonzo play defense often when watching the Lakers, he's solid as they come for the experience he has but it's the other things about his game that give caution as to how good of a prospect he can be. He averages almost 5reb and 5ast/gm playing alongside two dominant ball handlers in Lebron and Rondo. Suffice to say when looking at the other aspects of his game it's not pretty(primarily offensively) and if he's a long term solution at the position he was drafted for(point guard)....sound familiar

Cut the crap about Knits defense no one with a clear head on their shoulder is buying this. Yes it is regrettable Phil passed on DSJ/Mitchell/Kuzma/Hart/Morris/Brooks/Collins all better prospects at the moment...maybe we could've had a pair of them

Last edited:
I DO!!!

I WOULDN'T AND WON'T!!!

Again folks please stop overrating Knits defense and here's a perfect example why

I've seen Lonzo play defense often when watching the Lakers, he's solid as they come for the experience he has but it's the other things about his game that give caution as to how good of a prospect he can be. He averages almost 5reb and 5ast/gm playing alongside two dominant ball handlers in Lebron and Rondo. Suffice to say when looking at the other aspects of his game it's not pretty(primarily offensively) and if he's a long term solution at the position he was drafted for(point guard)....sound familiar

Cut the crap about Knits defense no one with a clear head on their shoulder is buying this. Yes it is regrettable Phil passed on DSJ/Mitchell/Kuzma/Hart/Morris/Brooks/Collins all better prospects at the moment...maybe we could've had a pair of them

I?m not saying Ntilikina is a good player, but can you at all support your opinion that he is not a good defensive player? I can support the opinion that he is a good defensive player with the fact that he was rated #1 in the NBA last season in defending the pick and roll.

Broadway

All Star
I’m not saying Ntilikina is a good player, but can you at all support your opinion that he is not a good defensive player? I can support the opinion that he is a good defensive player with the fact that he was rated #1 in the NBA last season in defending the pick and roll.

He's above average, there's nothing else about his game attractive which is the point. If he was Gary Payton type defensively I might buy more of what you're trying to sell

He's above average, there's nothing else about his game attractive which is the point. If he was Gary Payton type defensively I might buy more of what you're trying to sell

He is straight garbage offensively. His defense is good though. Not sure why you think I am trying to ?sell? anything more than that.

mafra

Legend
Regardless of what Knits is... DSJ isnt that special to me, I would prefer Kouzma or Allen or Collins to him. Mitchell, obviously. If we had DSJ, I would still regret the pick.

I could be wrong, but I look forward to seeing where this draft class stands come 2023.

Regardless of what Knits is... DSJ isnt that special to me, I would prefer Kouzma or Allen or Collins to him. Mitchell, obviously. If we had DSJ, I would still regret the pick.

I could be wrong, but I look forward to seeing where this draft class stands come 2023.

This is more or less how I feel.

Broadway

All Star
Take Lee...give us T.J. Warren and a 2nd round pick and I'm feeling great. We shave about $7mil off cap nest yr and clearly get the best player in the trade plus an asset

mafra

Legend
https://nypost.com/2018/12/05/grant-hill-it-would-be-a-mistake-to-give-up-on-ntilikina-and-knox/

Grant Hill: It would be a mistake to give up on Ntilikina and Knox

Marc Berman

Grant Hill says he?s already been crushed by Knicks 6-foot-9 rookie forward Kevin Knox.

?Duke wanted him badly ? he was first on the radar, I heard from coaches,?? Hill told The Post.

?We were all heartbroken. He?s a really good kid, got a great skill set. But it has been a little up and down.?

Hill, a former Duke star, will call the Knicks-Celtics game from Boston at 8 p.m. Thursday as the Knicks make their season?s first appearance on TNT.

Knox chose Kentucky, but Hill said he believes if Mike Krzyzewski wanted him that badly, he?s worth the pick and is not a softie. Knox, the Knicks? 2018 lottery selection, is shooting a horrific 33.8 percent. After his 27-point breakout game Saturday in the Milwaukee OT thriller, Knox had a letdown in Monday?s loss versus the Wizards (eight points, 3-of-11).

Hill lives in Orlando and followed Knox?s high school career in nearby Tampa.

?He went out in Las Vegas [in summer league] and did very well and now he struggles a little bit,?? Hill said. ?I?m not too down on that. All rookies, they figure it out at their own pace. I do think he has tremendous upside and is trying to figure it out. He?s learning about the game ? pace, talent level. I think his skill set, size, character, basketball intellect ? I do think he has a chance to be a really good player in the league.??

Hill, part of the new ownership group of the Hawks, saw the Knicks in Atlanta last month on one of Frank Ntilikina?s finest offensive nights. Nevertheless, Ntilikina, the Knicks? 2017 lottery pick, is on the outs ? not having played the past two games after going scoreless in the previous two contests.

?In person I was blown away with his size,?? Hill said. ?Good length, good athlete. I still think he?s raw and needs to get his shot and ball-handling tighter. He has good things to work with. That?s a tough position.?

Teams are looking for more from their point guard nowadays than just being a quarterback, Hill said.

?In this day and age, you don?t have to be a facilitator/decision-maker, but you have to be able to put the ball in the basket and shoot,?? Hill said. ?There?s loads of examples of point guards who weren?t great shooters and worked at it and became good shooters.

?If he can develop his shot, I love his length and potential on the defensive end. Like a few of the guys they have, they?re trying to figure out who they are. It may take some time. Not everybody is going to come in like [Kristaps] Porzingis and have an impact right away.?

As the youngest team in the league, Hill sees the Knicks (8-17) at the same stage as Orlando a few years back. Hill said the Magic gave up too soon on some of their youngsters ? Victor Oladipo, Tobias Harris, Elfrid Payton, though held onto the emerging Aaron Gordon.

?[Coach David Fizdale] is giving them an opportunity to develop young players,?? Hill said. ?They don?t get better unless they play. It may not result in wins but establishing a foundation for success. By and large, they?re competing.?

Like his Hawks, the Knicks are likely competing for lottery position, too. His fellow Dukies, Zion Williamson, RJ Barrett and Cam Reddish have given also-rans greater motivation to be in the lottery, Hill acknowledged.

?They are really talented, potential stars in the NBA,?? said Hill, who does some Hawks scouting and is in the war room. ?Some of the bottom feeders, there?s an excitement with the possibility of some of these Duke players.??

Diplomatically, Hill said ?flip a coin?? on which of the three will be the best pro. But he seemed most dialed in on Williamson, the beastly 6-foot-7, 280-pound forward whom he believes can be revolutionary.

?Athleticism, basketball feel, IQ, that size and athleticism is quite remarkable,?? Hill said. ?And it?s how hard he plays. Plays hard every possession. He has the tools to revolutionize the game with his play but he?s still young and learning. His upside is something special. It?s exciting. Talking with coaches at Duke, he?s one of the hardest workers. He?s a grinder and competes. Combined with his God-given ability, his mindset gives him a chance to be really special in the NBA.??

In the last meeting, the Knicks upset the Celtics in Boston on Thanksgiving Eve ? a low point to their disappointing 13-10 start. Hill predicts potential changes in a month or so. The Celtics are grappling with having essentially two starting point guards in Kyrie Irving and Terry Rozier, each of whom would look good in orange and blue.

?They?re still figuring it out,?? Hill said. ?Another month will be very telling. If they don?t turn it, there could be some changes, personnel moves. With that payroll and talent level, you get into late January and are still struggling as they are, conventional wisdom has moves being made.??

Kiyaman

Legend
Breakdown of Fizdale and the Knicks as we pass the 1/4 pole.

David Fizdale is just another Knick front office puppet coach without a system, without a defensive-plan, and without a starting lineup after 25 games. Do the math .. Fizdale's 8-17 record vs Horn's 12-13 or 14-11 record vs Fisher's 11-14 or 5-20 record vs Woodson's 8-17 record !!!

tiger0330

Legend
https://nypost.com/2018/12/05/grant-hill-it-would-be-a-mistake-to-give-up-on-ntilikina-and-knox/

Grant Hill: It would be a mistake to give up on Ntilikina and Knox

Marc Berman

Grant Hill says he’s already been crushed by Knicks 6-foot-9 rookie forward Kevin Knox.

“Duke wanted him badly — he was first on the radar, I heard from coaches,’’ Hill told The Post.

“We were all heartbroken. He’s a really good kid, got a great skill set. But it has been a little up and down.”

Hill, a former Duke star, will call the Knicks-Celtics game from Boston at 8 p.m. Thursday as the Knicks make their season’s first appearance on TNT.

Knox chose Kentucky, but Hill said he believes if Mike Krzyzewski wanted him that badly, he’s worth the pick and is not a softie. Knox, the Knicks’ 2018 lottery selection, is shooting a horrific 33.8 percent. After his 27-point breakout game Saturday in the Milwaukee OT thriller, Knox had a letdown in Monday’s loss versus the Wizards (eight points, 3-of-11).

Hill lives in Orlando and followed Knox’s high school career in nearby Tampa.

“He went out in Las Vegas [in summer league] and did very well and now he struggles a little bit,’’ Hill said. “I’m not too down on that. All rookies, they figure it out at their own pace. I do think he has tremendous upside and is trying to figure it out. He’s learning about the game — pace, talent level. I think his skill set, size, character, basketball intellect — I do think he has a chance to be a really good player in the league.’’

Hill, part of the new ownership group of the Hawks, saw the Knicks in Atlanta last month on one of Frank Ntilikina’s finest offensive nights. Nevertheless, Ntilikina, the Knicks’ 2017 lottery pick, is on the outs — not having played the past two games after going scoreless in the previous two contests.

“In person I was blown away with his size,’’ Hill said. “Good length, good athlete. I still think he’s raw and needs to get his shot and ball-handling tighter. He has good things to work with. That’s a tough position.”

Teams are looking for more from their point guard nowadays than just being a quarterback, Hill said.

“In this day and age, you don’t have to be a facilitator/decision-maker, but you have to be able to put the ball in the basket and shoot,’’ Hill said. “There’s loads of examples of point guards who weren’t great shooters and worked at it and became good shooters.

“If he can develop his shot, I love his length and potential on the defensive end. Like a few of the guys they have, they’re trying to figure out who they are. It may take some time. Not everybody is going to come in like [Kristaps] Porzingis and have an impact right away.”

As the youngest team in the league, Hill sees the Knicks (8-17) at the same stage as Orlando a few years back. Hill said the Magic gave up too soon on some of their youngsters — Victor Oladipo, Tobias Harris, Elfrid Payton, though held onto the emerging Aaron Gordon.

“[Coach David Fizdale] is giving them an opportunity to develop young players,’’ Hill said. “They don’t get better unless they play. It may not result in wins but establishing a foundation for success. By and large, they’re competing.”

Like his Hawks, the Knicks are likely competing for lottery position, too. His fellow Dukies, Zion Williamson, RJ Barrett and Cam Reddish have given also-rans greater motivation to be in the lottery, Hill acknowledged.

“They are really talented, potential stars in the NBA,’’ said Hill, who does some Hawks scouting and is in the war room. “Some of the bottom feeders, there’s an excitement with the possibility of some of these Duke players.’’

Diplomatically, Hill said “flip a coin’’ on which of the three will be the best pro. But he seemed most dialed in on Williamson, the beastly 6-foot-7, 280-pound forward whom he believes can be revolutionary.

“Athleticism, basketball feel, IQ, that size and athleticism is quite remarkable,’’ Hill said. “And it’s how hard he plays. Plays hard every possession. He has the tools to revolutionize the game with his play but he’s still young and learning. His upside is something special. It’s exciting. Talking with coaches at Duke, he’s one of the hardest workers. He’s a grinder and competes. Combined with his God-given ability, his mindset gives him a chance to be really special in the NBA.’’

In the last meeting, the Knicks upset the Celtics in Boston on Thanksgiving Eve — a low point to their disappointing 13-10 start. Hill predicts potential changes in a month or so. The Celtics are grappling with having essentially two starting point guards in Kyrie Irving and Terry Rozier, each of whom would look good in orange and blue.

“They’re still figuring it out,’’ Hill said. “Another month will be very telling. If they don’t turn it, there could be some changes, personnel moves. With that payroll and talent level, you get into late January and are still struggling as they are, conventional wisdom has moves being made.’’

Knox I'm not worried about, barely in the league by a couple of months but has already showed promise in SL and glimpses on the floor, so anybody giving up on him is a little short sighted just as anyone saying he was Jason Tatum after a few games in SL would have been wrong.

Nits on the other hand you have to start being concerned for. I said the same thing as Hill, kid looks big on the floor but he'll need more than height and long arms to succeed. He hasn't improved his offensive game after a full season while others like D'Andre Fox have. Saw Fox play in the Sun's game and they were crediting him with the improvement of Kings this season. De'Anthony Melton a 20 yr old rook for the Sun's and a 46th pick looked better than Ntilikina, watching him I said to myself that Ntilikina should have what Melton has ie going 9-12 for 21 pts including a steal of a pass and breakaway dunk, a play that Nits has never made in his short career. Nits came close in the Magic game but TRoss blocked him at the rim after his steal.