Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121327 ... LastLast

Knicks leading NBA in second chances:

https://theathletic.com/442309/2018/...ressed-talent/

The Knicks have become one of the NBA leaders in the second draft — picking up lottery picks who haven’t done well in their first stop and seeing if they can be the franchise that makes good on their talent. There’s science and art to gobbling up distressed assets and the Knicks have done their best to load up on them. Perry calls it “talent acquisition.” In essence, it’s also like buying a lottery ticket — the odds of hitting aren’t high but the reward can be.

When asked if the Knicks were in the purpose of second drafting after they signed Hezonja, Perry said the team’s strategy was clear over the past year.

“You’ve heard me talk a lot about us being in a talent acquisition phase,” he said. “He’s another one that fits into that. He obviously was a high pick. When we had the opportunity to get him we thought it was important to get him. They happen to be all former lottery picks. We’re just glad to have him now and fit him into what we’re doing and hopefully he’ll really take off and continue to get better.”

The Knicks rank fourth in the league in the amount of lottery picks on their team with eight. Only the Hornets, Suns, and Wizards have more — they all have nine. But only the Suns and Bulls have more players picked in the lottery from the 2014 draft onward — the players who are entering their fifth seasons and might be on their second or third teams.

In addition to Kristaps Porzingis, Frank Ntilikina and Kevin Knox — their own lottery picks — the Knicks have traded for Emmanuel Mudiay and signed Hezonja. Mudiay was the seventh overall pick in 2015 and Hezonja went fifth. Each has struggled in their careers so far but the Knicks haven’t given up much to try to acquire them. They acquired Mudiay in a trade where they sent away a half-season of Doug McDermott, who was about to hit restricted free agency. Hezonja received a one-year deal.

The Knicks have had success with this strategy already. They signed Trey Burke to a G-League contract last fall, then brought him up to the NBA in January and watched him rejuvenate his career. The ninth overall pick in the 2013 draft, Burke set career-highs in field goal percentage, per-36 stats, and his efficiency numbers last season.

When the Knicks dealt away Carmelo Anthony last September they traded him for Enes Kanter and McDermott, both former lottery picks. Kanter went No. 3 in 2011 and McDermott went 11th in 2014.

They also signed Michael Beasley to a one-year, minimum contract last August. Beasley, the No. 2 pick in 2008, had his best season in seven years, since he was a 22-year-old in his third NBA season and agreed to terms with the Lakers last week on a one-year, $3.5 million contract.

The Bulls have also taken to this strategy. When they traded away Jimmy Butler last summer, they acquired Kris Dunn (No. 5 in 2016) and Zach LaVine (13th in 2014). They signed Jabari Parker (the No. 2 pick in 2014) to a two-year, $40 million deal this month. They traded for a struggling Cameron Payne (N0. 14 in 2015) when they dealt McDermott to Oklahoma City at the 2017 trade deadline.

And while the Suns have six lottery picks on their team taken in 2014 or later, they’ve drafted them all.
    Last edited by mafra; Jul 24, 2018 at 21:47.

Veteran

Kanter is a big social media doofus and knows nothing. There's a recent report Kyrie is talking and making plans to stay with the Celtics long term. We might be in the discussion but nothing really solid of landing a big fish. Much the same Carmelo was talking to the Heat prior to being traded from OKC and released thereafter, he decided to go to Houston

There's also talk Kawhi will look into staying with Toronto long term. Our primary focus should be turning 1-2 more of our Pups into stars outside of #kporzee. Free Agency will be a big IF slash major bonus

12th man

Quote Originally Posted by tiger0330 View Post
    Vonleh makes 9 lottery picks on the Knicks roster. I said Perry should get as many lottery tickets as he could and it was like panning for gold look in the right places and look at enough guys and you have to strike gold eventually. Vonleh will be an off the bench guy and not much more after 4 years in the league but he'll get you some rebounds and block some shots. Would have preferred Quinn for his play on both sides of the ball, in particular I'll miss his passing.
    Quote Originally Posted by mafra View Post
    Knicks leading NBA in second chances:

The Knicks have become one of the NBA leaders in the second draft — picking up lottery picks who haven’t done well in their first stop and seeing if they can be the franchise that makes good on their talent. There’s science and art to gobbling up distressed assets and the Knicks have done their best to load up on them. Perry calls it “talent acquisition.” In essence, it’s also like buying a lottery ticket — the odds of hitting aren’t high but the reward can be.

When asked if the Knicks were in the purpose of second drafting after they signed Hezonja, Perry said the team’s strategy was clear over the past year.

“You’ve heard me talk a lot about us being in a talent acquisition phase,” he said. “He’s another one that fits into that. He obviously was a high pick. When we had the opportunity to get him we thought it was important to get him. They happen to be all former lottery picks. We’re just glad to have him now and fit him into what we’re doing and hopefully he’ll really take off and continue to get better.”

The Knicks rank fourth in the league in the amount of lottery picks on their team with eight. Only the Hornets, Suns, and Wizards have more — they all have nine. But only the Suns and Bulls have more players picked in the lottery from the 2014 draft onward — the players who are entering their fifth seasons and might be on their second or third teams.

In addition to Kristaps Porzingis, Frank Ntilikina and Kevin Knox — their own lottery picks — the Knicks have traded for Emmanuel Mudiay and signed Hezonja. Mudiay was the seventh overall pick in 2015 and Hezonja went fifth. Each has struggled in their careers so far but the Knicks haven’t given up much to try to acquire them. They acquired Mudiay in a trade where they sent away a half-season of Doug McDermott, who was about to hit restricted free agency. Hezonja received a one-year deal.

The Knicks have had success with this strategy already. They signed Trey Burke to a G-League contract last fall, then brought him up to the NBA in January and watched him rejuvenate his career. The ninth overall pick in the 2013 draft, Burke set career-highs in field goal percentage, per-36 stats, and his efficiency numbers last season.

When the Knicks dealt away Carmelo Anthony last September they traded him for Enes Kanter and McDermott, both former lottery picks. Kanter went No. 3 in 2011 and McDermott went 11th in 2014.

They also signed Michael Beasley to a one-year, minimum contract last August. Beasley, the No. 2 pick in 2008, had his best season in seven years, since he was a 22-year-old in his third NBA season and agreed to terms with the Lakers last week on a one-year, $3.5 million contract.

The Bulls have also taken to this strategy. When they traded away Jimmy Butler last summer, they acquired Kris Dunn (No. 5 in 2016) and Zach LaVine (13th in 2014). They signed Jabari Parker (the No. 2 pick in 2014) to a two-year, $40 million deal this month. They traded for a struggling Cameron Payne (N0. 14 in 2015) when they dealt McDermott to Oklahoma City at the 2017 trade deadline.

And while the Suns have six lottery picks on their team taken in 2014 or later, they’ve drafted them all.
    Funny I noticed what this guy wrote. I think this was written before we picked up Vonleh who was picked in the same spot as Knox, 9 in the 2014 draft.

Amazing what Perry has done in 12 months. More so than what Donnie and Phil did combined

It may amount to nothing... but this is the smart play.

Funny I noticed what this guy wrote. I think this was written before we picked up Vonleh who was picked in the same spot as Knox, 9 in the 2014 draft.
    That makes 8 lottery picks for Knicks... all 25 or younger:

(2011)
    Kanter

(2013)
    Trey Burke

(2014)
    Vonleh (replaces Beasley)

(2015)
    KP
    Mudiay
    Hezonja

(2017)
    Knitiklina

(2018)
    Knox

* Robinson and Trier lottery talents.

Timmy Hardway and Lance Thomas old vets. I would love for nothing more than to have this plus lottery stud next draft... and just that...

Then watch us go on a SA run for 10 years with all the youth we accumulated... screw free agents. They’ll come flocking if this thing takes off!

Mudiay
    Knitiklina
    Knox
    KP
    Robinson

Hezonja our 6th man extraordinaire

Burke and Timmy and Kanter spearhead the second unit.

Add wing lottery stud in draft...

Boom!
    Last edited by mafra; Jul 24, 2018 at 23:47.

12th man

Amazing what Perry has done in 12 months. More so than what Donnie and Phil did combined

It may amount to nothing... but this is the smart play.
    So far so good with the Perry hire. I always admired the deal making skills of Pat Riley, Presti or Ainge. Haven't seen that ability in him yet.

Veteran

So far so good with the Perry hire. I always admired the deal making skills of Pat Riley, Presti or Ainge. Haven't seen that ability in him yet.
    This is the yr to show and improve in this area, he's never had a better reason to do so

What’s great about rolling out the band — KP and the lottery Picks — is you either hit lightinning in a bottle or you bottom out. Either you offer legitimate hope and enjoyment even if the Ls pile up. To
    Earn the lottery pick the non-tank way... or you surprise and player show promise and you have a more enjoyable season.
    Expectations high for future even if tempered for short term.

Veteran

Looks like #kporzee is working on all things that provide strength, balance, mental sharpness...might also be working on the quick/reaction time. I don't see a major change in his overall physique but he looks good(lean) and seems to be in good spirits. Fizdale and his wife are over there now as we speak

It’ll be interesting to see what happens if th kids come out and surprise and get off to a 20-18 start or something..I hope KP doesn’t rush back tho... I prefer he takes extra time then getting back too soon.

Veteran

It’ll be interesting to see what happens if th kids come out and surprise and get off to a 20-18 start or something..I hope KP doesn’t rush back tho... I prefer he takes extra time then getting back too soon.
    It's been mentioned several times since our season was over we don't expect him back this yr. I doubt they rush or he himself does, no matter the results. We're going to have some bright moments this yr but we're going to lose a lot too. I think Summer League is somewhat of an indication how our season may turn out. I can see shooting, lack of rebounding, and most importantly our point guard play being up and down unless(Knits/Mudiay/Robinson/Vonleh...surprise immensely)...we also don't really have a go to option. Knox may assume this role but that's asking a lot from a 18-19yr old to just take over every night during an 82gm season of which he's never played against this level of competition before

12th man

Let's hope Fiz is cracked up to what he's supposed to be. He's got a young team that should be right up his alley as a developmental coach. Only wish he could have convinced Van Exel to leave Memphis to work with Mudiay, Nits and our other guards. Defense, ball movement and conditioning are what I expected him to bring but if can improve the shooting that would be a plus.

12th man

Knicks sign Kadeem Allen, training camp filler for the Knicks. Highly unlikely he'll be around opening day.

12th man

I got a feeling he goes back to Houston. They could use a minimum type player that knows their system after losing 2 defenders in Ariza and Mbah-a-Moute, if he signs with them Troy might have gotten feelers from Morey in Vegas and he might have asked to be let out of his contract with the Knicks. Otherwise a bogus move for sure, he looked better than Hicks, Dotson and busted his butt playing all 5 games unlike Nits, Kornet.
    Not Houston but pretty damn close. Troy signs with the Pels, didn't get a real shot with the Knicks good luck to him in New Orleans.

this article about Perry is right on, re sticking to his word re acquiring talent; why not former top 10 lottery picks to be molded by new modern thinking, player friendly coach and developmental assts? Esp like Hezonja signing, and Kadeem Allen stands a good shot of making squad: nba caliber defender, huge wingspan, aggressive overall solid player.
    With additions of Knox and Robinson, the Knicks future is unknown and exciting. i love the energy of coach and young talent, the potential is palpable. If Frankie develops an aggressive offensive game we could be set. either way, Perry gets an A for acquiring talent with little to no risk involved.

what Perry does next re paring down roster, making trades and reshaping roster will be his true test. looking forward to training camp news.

http://testicle.com is House of Dong