Knicks Fire Hornacek

Broadway

All Star
I thought Coach Bud was safe in ATL since they stripped him of all their players. My guess is it's his decision to move on, with the Suns further ahead in the rebuilding process than the Hawks, he also relinquished the President title last year.

I'd look at anyone from the Spurs and Pops coaching tree.

Clifford was fired by the Hornets so there you go, we should give him an interview too. He had a tough situation there, although guided them to the playoffs a couple yrs

tiger0330

Legend
Clifford was fired by the Hornets so there you go, we should give him an interview too. He had a tough situation there, although guided them to the playoffs a couple yrs
Vogel also should get a shot, he threw his name back in the Knicks hat and Perry was involved in hiring him in ORL. I wouldn't hire Vogel but he's in Perry's circle of friends.

tiger0330

Legend
I said Fizdale, JVG and Jay Wright my top picks for the new coach. This guy has them as his top 3 of 11. Mark Jackson is #7.

[FONT=&quot]
[FONT=&quot]3. Jay Wright[/FONT]
Why it makes sense: No coach is more interesting on this list. Wright, one of the best coaches in college basketball, is coming off his second National Championship in three years at Villanova. For a coach that’s “joked” about the idea of coaching the Knicks, the timing may never be better.
Why it doesn’t: It’s going to take a huge pay check to get Wright to leave Villanova for the current situation in New York.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]

[FONT=&quot]2. Jeff Van Gundy[/FONT]
Why it makes sense: Only one coach has enjoyed real success under the ownership of James Dolan in New York: Van Gundy. If the ESPN analyst is ready to make the leap back to the bench, the Knicks can find stability again.
Why it doesn’t: Van Gundy, although on top of the sport as one of the lead analysts in the world, hasn’t coached in the NBA since 2007. A ton has changed in the last decade, and Van Gundy could need a full season to adjust.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

[FONT=&quot]1. David Fizdale[/FONT]
Why it makes sense: The best candidate on the market. Fizdale has the backing of star players (including a relationship with LeBron James) and got a raw deal in Memphis.
Why it doesn’t: Could be heading to the Hornets before the Knicks are ready to make a decision.

[/FONT]

tiger0330

Legend
One thing about this Knicks front office is they haven't ruled out anyone in this coaching search bringing in JVG and Woodson for an interview. PJ would never bring in those guys. They also will likely not offer KP an extension this summer which I've been saying is the right business decision, gives me hope this may be a well run front office.

Kiyaman

Legend
Jason Kidd should be a Top-3 priority for head coach on Perry list above Fizdale and Wright.
The Knicks need experience developer coaches having the ability to transform college level players into NBA level performances on the Knicks new coaching-staff.

Broadway

All Star
Looks like the list consist of 4 but I feel it's a 3 man race and quite possibly a 2 man race

No college coaches, which is somewhat disappointing

CoolClyde

Hornacek's departure was a given, Mills wants to clean house of Phil Jackson sooner than later. See him jump the gun and dump bucks on Hardaway the second Phil was gone, throwing stupid money at him and Ron Burgundy before Knicks organizatino blinked. would not be surprised to see Clarence Gaines gone with rest of staff, depending on who they hire. Perry seems to dig the nepotism vibe, signing players and people he's familiar with, as opposed to best fit for the team. As long as Mills runs this team and Dolan owns it, Perry will be making safe decisions. I'd say Vogel's got the best shot, but front office will interview everyone and show their due diligence while aces like Fizdale get scooped up.

Glad to see Horn gone, along with Rambis. His poor substitutions, his reliance on bench-class veterans starting (Sessions, Jack, Lance, Lee, Beasley) and playing the biggest minutes was at the core of losing basketball.

His doghouse affected players in a severely negative way, getting Noah thrown off the team and losing any chance of a trade, and causing Willy to ask for a trade for peanuts, when the center situation is precarious at best with Kanter and KO able to opt out this off-season.

With Horn in charge, the ball hardly moved, instead went into the post where Kanter and KP gobbled it up. Losing KP, this team went to hell, defensively and offensively.

On top of all this, Frank hardly developed, getting sh!tty backup minutes, getting pulled instead of letting him play through his mistakes, and watching as Knicks signed 4 PG's after he was drafted, all to start before him at his position.

Looking forward to a new coach who will help Frank realize his offensive potential, and have team play where the ball moves, players move, and Knicks get easier shots than what they've gotten the past few years.

dream situation: draft Mikal, hire Jay Wright

Best of luck Jeff, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.
Rambis? GTFO now

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Much as I love VanGundy, he hasn't coached in 11 years and the game and league has changed tremendously during this time. Mark Jackson is intriguing, as is Fizdale. Not sure why we're talking about Stackhouse. I'd like to see a more tenured coach. Wright's not leaving Villanova. David Blat is a great Euro coach and could be interesting. Honestly, I really like that we're giving Woodson another shot.

If I had to rate the candidates, I'd do so in this order.

Mark Jackson
David Fizdale
Mike Woodson
David Blat

mafra

Legend
?Fiz is a great fit anywhere,?? Spoelstra told reporters in Philadelphia on Monday, according to ESPN.com. ?He?s a brilliant basketball mind that has exceptional, gold-standard level communication skills. He?s one of my best friends.

?But I say that objectively. I just think he?s one of the most talented coaches I?ve been around. I feel very grateful that we had an opportunity to work together for so long. I just, I hope he goes West. That?s the kind of respect I have for him. I don?t want him going anywhere in the East.?If

The Knicks are not convinced Fizdale?s feud with his star European player is a red flag. It is a sensitive matter because their Latvian All-Star big man Kristaps Porzingis and fired head coach Jeff Hornacek didn?t get along well, especially in 2016-17, despite Porzingis saying they had ?a good relationship.??

According to an NBA source close to the situation, the Knicks coaching staff believes Porzingis was ?poisoned?? by Carmelo Anthony regarding last season?s coaching staff.

tiger0330

Legend
“Fiz is a great fit anywhere,’’ Spoelstra told reporters in Philadelphia on Monday, according to ESPN.com. “He’s a brilliant basketball mind that has exceptional, gold-standard level communication skills. He’s one of my best friends.

“But I say that objectively. I just think he’s one of the most talented coaches I’ve been around. I feel very grateful that we had an opportunity to work together for so long. I just, I hope he goes West. That’s the kind of respect I have for him. I don’t want him going anywhere in the East.”If

The Knicks are not convinced Fizdale’s feud with his star European player is a red flag. It is a sensitive matter because their Latvian All-Star big man Kristaps Porzingis and fired head coach Jeff Hornacek didn’t get along well, especially in 2016-17, despite Porzingis saying they had “a good relationship.’’

According to an NBA source close to the situation, the Knicks coaching staff believes Porzingis was “poisoned’’ by Carmelo Anthony regarding last season’s coaching staff.
I've been hearing about how good a coach Fizdale was since he was an ass't with the Heat. Fiz will probably get multiple job offers and it's going to take a ton of convincing by Perry and Mills to get him here along with Dolan agreeing to open the Knicks check book. CHA strikes me as a good landing spot for Stackhouse so I think MJ goes to the head of the class for the Knicks job with Blatt a close second.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Much as I love VanGundy, he hasn't coached in 11 years and the game and league has changed tremendously during this time. Mark Jackson is intriguing, as is Fizdale. Not sure why we're talking about Stackhouse. I'd like to see a more tenured coach. Wright's not leaving Villanova. David Blat is a great Euro coach and could be interesting. Honestly, I really like that we're giving Woodson another shot.

If I had to rate the candidates, I'd do so in this order.

Mark Jackson
David Fizdale
Mike Woodson
David Blat

I like the list even tho I would put Woody half a step above Fiz. Woody didn?t get a fair shake and I believe the Knicks would play better defense under Woody. Mark Jackson is a no brainer and would be my first choice as well. Good to have old-heads like you and C.C. back on board.:)

jimkcchief88

All Star
Head Coach Mark Jackson
Assistant coach Woodson & Stackhouse

This line-up would be a dream come true. I would love to see Stack on the staff, but I?m not sure if he?s ready to be head coach in the Knicks toxic, expectation laden environment. I?m not sure Woody would leave LA to be an assistant unless we hired Doc Rivers.

tiger0330

Legend
MIL 2 down in the series with BOS. I would think if the Bucks get swept they will be looking to replace Prunty. Going to be a lot of competition for the top coaches this off-season.

Kiyaman

Legend
It would be nice if we hired the new head coach & assistant head coach before the start of the NBA Finals
Mark Jackson is in NY !!!

tiger0330

Legend
I thought Coach Bud was safe in ATL since they stripped him of all their players. My guess is it's his decision to move on, with the Suns further ahead in the rebuilding process than the Hawks, he also relinquished the President title last year.

I'd look at anyone from the Spurs and Pops coaching tree.
If they can work out the compensation because Bud is still under contract for 17M/2 years the Knicks should hire him. Most qualified of any of the candidates but saving the Hawks the remaining 17M on his contract is all I would give the Hawks, no draft picks.

mafra

Legend
?Budenholzer?s record in five seasons with Atlanta was 213-197, after he finished a career-worst 24-58 this past season.

Budenholzer was a Spurs assistant under Gregg Popovich from 1996-2013. The Knicks will also meet with another coach on the Popovich tree, Spurs assistant James Borrego, according to ESPN. Borrego was interim head coach with Orlando in 2014-15 when current Knicks general manager Scott Perry was there.?

tiger0330

Legend
If they can work out the compensation because Bud is still under contract for 17M/2 years the Knicks should hire him. Most qualified of any of the candidates but saving the Hawks the remaining 17M on his contract is all I would give the Hawks, no draft picks.
It's being reported the Hawks might not ask for picks but would accept the remainder of Bud's contract being bought out as reasonable compensation for him. He supposedly wants to live in NY also, Knicks have to hire this guy, if we can get him without giving up picks as compensation. I would give the Hawks cash if they wanted also.

It's being reported the Hawks might not ask for picks but would accept the remainder of Bud's contract being bought out as reasonable compensation for him. He supposedly wants to live in NY also, Knicks have to hire this guy, if we can get him without giving up picks as compensation. I would give the Hawks cash if they wanted also.

I guess that I don?t entirely get the excitement for Budenholzer as coach instead of Mark Jackson or bringing back Woodson. Jackson and Woodson know how hard it is to deal with this franchise already. Budenholzer had good rosters his winning years in Atlanta and if he got used to a functional system his years in San Antonio, trying to function in NY might be impossible for him.