Knicks Fire Hornacek

Mike1989

Rookie
It's being reported the Hawks might not ask for picks but would accept the remainder of Bud's contract being bought out as reasonable compensation for him. He supposedly wants to live in NY also, Knicks have to hire this guy, if we can get him without giving up picks as compensation. I would give the Hawks cash if they wanted also.

If the Hawks aren't wanting picks and would accept cash, or if they want a second round pick or two thrown in there, then that could be a good deal for us. The guy is a well respected head coach and can develop players as he's shown this season. Give him the right group of veterans and he can get a team to the play offs. So he seems to be a head coach that can adapt from getting the most out of players to developing them, whether or not he can head a rebuild and kick a team on is yet to be seen, but of the people we've been linked with I would like to see him given an opportunity to coach here.

I guess that I don’t entirely get the excitement for Budenholzer as coach instead of Mark Jackson or bringing back Woodson. Jackson and Woodson know how hard it is to deal with this franchise already. Budenholzer had good rosters his winning years in Atlanta and if he got used to a functional system his years in San Antonio, trying to function in NY might be impossible for him.

The issue I have with Mark Jackson is that he did end up alienating a lot of people in the Warriors organization, which is part of the reason why he got fired despite being successful in helping them rebuild. Sure he has experience of having been here before but if he ends up rubbing people the wrong way and can't get along with them, whether they work in the front office or player on the roster, it could be problematic.

Woodson could be an interesting hire because he did help rebuild the Atlanta Hawks. So of those two I would rather us bring back Woodson than go for Jackson.

Broadway

All Star
If the Hawks aren't wanting picks and would accept cash, or if they want a second round pick or two thrown in there, then that could be a good deal for us. The guy is a well respected head coach and can develop players as he's shown this season. Give him the right group of veterans and he can get a team to the play offs. So he seems to be a head coach that can adapt from getting the most out of players to developing them, whether or not he can head a rebuild and kick a team on is yet to be seen, but of the people we've been linked with I would like to see him given an opportunity to coach here.

The issue I have with Mark Jackson is that he did end up alienating a lot of people in the Warriors organization, which is part of the reason why he got fired despite being successful in helping them rebuild. Sure he has experience of having been here before but if he ends up rubbing people the wrong way and can't get along with them, whether they work in the front office or player on the roster, it could be problematic.

Woodson could be an interesting hire because he did help rebuild the Atlanta Hawks. So of those two I would rather us bring back Woodson than go for Jackson.

Brian Scalabrine recently spoke on Mark Jackson and said he takes full credit in being responsible for his firing. He was a mole of moles. Scal has no horse in this race whatsoever, so I'm taking his admission on this past situation very heavily here. He was there during the Dubs come up phase and yet endorses MJ getting another crack at a coaching gig, that says a lot.

I like the idea of bringing in Bud he's from the Spurs coaching tree but what I have a hard time dealing with is this...very similar to us acquiring THJR(you know the guy ATL wouldn't budge past $48mil on)

Why would ATL allow him to go on this coaching search carousel without asking for heavy compensation, after all he did there? Bud once had high executive privileges there then surrendered them...WHY?

ATL has picks 4, 18, 30, 33....ummmm why wouldn't they want Bud to remain there knowing these are the assets on the way?

Something isn't right here and I'm not quite sure what it is

tiger0330

Legend
Brian Scalabrine recently spoke on Mark Jackson and said he takes full credit in being responsible for his firing. He was a mole of moles. Scal has no horse in this race whatsoever, so I'm taking his admission on this past situation very heavily here. He was there during the Dubs come up phase and yet endorses MJ getting another crack at a coaching gig, that says a lot.

I like the idea of bringing in Bud he's from the Spurs coaching tree but what I have a hard time dealing with is this...very similar to us acquiring THJR(you know the guy ATL wouldn't budge past $48mil on)

Why would ATL allow him to go on this coaching search carousel without asking for heavy compensation, after all he did there? Bud once had high executive privileges there then surrendered them...WHY?

ATL has picks 4, 18, 30, 33....ummmm why wouldn't they want Bud to remain there knowing these are the assets on the way?

Pretty sure Bud feels slighted being demoted from President and HC to head coach with perhaps asking for an extension and being told no. He's a good coach, Knicks should hire him because he hits all the check marks you want in a coach.

Broadway

All Star
Pretty sure Bud feels slighted being demoted from President and HC to head coach with perhaps asking for an extension and being told no. He's a good coach, Knicks should hire him because he hits all the check marks you want in a coach.

I think most of the ones we've interviewed do. I won't be mad if hire him at all but I don't think he's a Slam Dunk option either, there are concerns

Mike1989

Rookie

The reason why Atlanta have allowed him to go on this coaching search could be down to them trying to get something in return for a head coach that they might not end up keeping long term. If you can get a second round pick for him, or even cash considerations, that is better than having to dig out the checkbook and fire Budenholzer sometime during the remaining two seasons on his contract. Trading him costs you nothing, firing him costs you money.

Last year Bud "gave up" the president of basketball operations part of his job. Generally speaking when a person gives up a job like that it is usually the case they have been given a choice between stepping down on their own terms or being fired. Also, Wes Wilcox stepped down from his position as General Manager and became a "special adviser" to the ownership group. Again that screams of step down on your own terms or be fired.

The Hawks decided to make wholesale changes last year when their window closed. From their 60-win team they lost Demarre Carroll (2015), Al Horford (2016), and Paul Millsap (2017) to free agency and traded away Jeff Teague and Kyle Korver in the 2016-17 season. Essentially the Hawks made the right decision to start a rebuild when Paul Millsap decided to depart. Had they kept the team together I think the changes in the front office probably wouldn't have been made. But because those departures did happen and their window ultimately closed, it is possible that their new general manager, Travis Schlenk, who they hired from Golden State could be willing to move on from Bud because he wants to hire his own guy.

As you say in your post, they have four picks in the coming draft. I would go further and say that they do have some talented young players already on their roster. Dennis Schroder just had a career year (19.4 PPG 6.2 APG). John Collins made a positive impression as a rookie power forward and Taurean Prince made strides as he stepped into their starting small forward position (he hit .385% of his three point shots). It depends on how the draft falls but if they came away with Luka Doncic (4th) and say Mitchell Robinson (19th) that could complete their young line up. Alternatively if they draft DeAndre Ayton, Jaren Jackson or Mohamed Bamba with their first pick, they could always retain Kent Bazemore in their starting line up at shooting guard, or look at one of the guard prospects with their second pick in the first round (i.e. Lonnie Walker, Khyri Thomas, Zhaire Smith, Gary Trent Jr etc). This is also ignoring the fact they will have cap space for 2018 free agency and a ton of space in 2019 because then they will only have Bazemore (if he opts in, if he opts out that's an extra $19 million), Schroder, Plumlee, Prince, Collins, Bembry and their drafted players on the books.

So in a sense it might appear strange that they are willing to move on from Bud considering this could be a quick rebuild, but it is not really strange considering he's already been demoted and has to work with a new front office. It is quite common for new front offices in major sports to move on from existing head coaches. So I suspect Bud wants out before they fire him and the Hawks want to move him before they fire him.

tiger0330

Legend
The reason why Atlanta have allowed him to go on this coaching search could be down to them trying to get something in return for a head coach that they might not end up keeping long term. If you can get a second round pick for him, or even cash considerations, that is better than having to dig out the checkbook and fire Budenholzer sometime during the remaining two seasons on his contract. Trading him costs you nothing, firing him costs you money.

Last year Bud "gave up" the president of basketball operations part of his job. Generally speaking when a person gives up a job like that it is usually the case they have been given a choice between stepping down on their own terms or being fired. Also, Wes Wilcox stepped down from his position as General Manager and became a "special adviser" to the ownership group. Again that screams of step down on your own terms or be fired.

The Hawks decided to make wholesale changes last year when their window closed. From their 60-win team they lost Demarre Carroll (2015), Al Horford (2016), and Paul Millsap (2017) to free agency and traded away Jeff Teague and Kyle Korver in the 2016-17 season. Essentially the Hawks made the right decision to start a rebuild when Paul Millsap decided to depart. Had they kept the team together I think the changes in the front office probably wouldn't have been made. But because those departures did happen and their window ultimately closed, it is possible that their new general manager, Travis Schlenk, who they hired from Golden State could be willing to move on from Bud because he wants to hire his own guy.

As you say in your post, they have four picks in the coming draft. I would go further and say that they do have some talented young players already on their roster. Dennis Schroder just had a career year (19.4 PPG 6.2 APG). John Collins made a positive impression as a rookie power forward and Taurean Prince made strides as he stepped into their starting small forward position (he hit .385% of his three point shots). It depends on how the draft falls but if they came away with Luka Doncic (4th) and say Mitchell Robinson (19th) that could complete their young line up. Alternatively if they draft DeAndre Ayton, Jaren Jackson or Mohamed Bamba with their first pick, they could always retain Kent Bazemore in their starting line up at shooting guard, or look at one of the guard prospects with their second pick in the first round (i.e. Lonnie Walker, Khyri Thomas, Zhaire Smith, Gary Trent Jr etc). This is also ignoring the fact they will have cap space for 2018 free agency and a ton of space in 2019 because then they will only have Bazemore (if he opts in, if he opts out that's an extra $19 million), Schroder, Plumlee, Prince, Collins, Bembry and their drafted players on the books.

So in a sense it might appear strange that they are willing to move on from Bud considering this could be a quick rebuild, but it is not really strange considering he's already been demoted and has to work with a new front office. It is quite common for new front offices in major sports to move on from existing head coaches. So I suspect Bud wants out before they fire him and the Hawks want to move him before they fire him.
Nice post Mike1989.

tiger0330

Legend
Locked in Knicks podcast about the Knicks coaching search. This guy has Bud as his top pick and makes the case for him. 60 win season, ball movement coach, defensive coach as well, long stint with the Spurs and Pop. Bud is my top guy as well. He says the latest from Woj is Fiz and Stackhouse had positive interviews, nothing about Mark Jackson so maybe he didn't do so well on his interview. Perry Mills headed to Turkey to interview Blatt along with a scouting side trip in Europe. Villanova Jay Wright is also not interviewing for the NBA.

https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2018/4/24/17275844/locked-on-knicks-episode-294-buds-the-guy

mafra

Legend
Mike Budenholzer may have moved a step closer to the Knicks job as the Hawks announced Wednesday night they are ?mutually? parting ways with their coach.

No compensation will be needed to hire Budenholzer ? once thought of as a potential stumbling block to any potential deal. The Post previously reported an NBA source saying Budenholzer considers the Knicks his ?top choice.?

?If they offered him the job, he?d say yes,?? the source told The Post. ?He wants to live in New York.??

Kiyaman

Legend
Mike Budenholzer may have moved a step closer to the Knicks job as the Hawks announced Wednesday night they are “mutually” parting ways with their coach.

No compensation will be needed to hire Budenholzer — once thought of as a potential stumbling block to any potential deal. The Post previously reported an NBA source saying Budenholzer considers the Knicks his “top choice.”

“If they offered him the job, he’d say yes,’’ the source told The Post. “He wants to live in New York.’’

Nada Nay NO!
I lost my money 3 years in a row betting on the Hawks in the postseason .. Lebron swept the Hawks 4-0 two seasons in a row, then the Wizards Wall took them out in 6 games in the first round. When the Hawks had the best front-line bigs in the East .. Horford/Milsap/DeMarre Carroll, and a mean Backcourt of Teague/Schroder/Korver

tiger0330

Legend
Post is reporting the 3 top candidates are Bud, Fiz and Blatt. Looks like the fan favorite Mark Jackson hasn't made a strong impression. Also looks like the Bucks might make a play for Bud, that would be like the choice Kerr had to make the Warriors or the Knicks. No way Bud turns down the Bucks if he's offered both jobs.

tiger0330

Legend
Pretty sure this report that Blatt wasn't interviewed while Perry and Mills were in Europe is Blatt bs, why would they fly to Europe and not meet with him. Mike Brown is also another candidate now. The decision as to the new head coach should be close with the status of some of the interim coaches being decided, Knicks are ahead of other teams in their hiring process and should hire a top pick before another team gets him.

Kiyaman

Legend
Post is reporting the 3 top candidates are Bud, Fiz and Blatt. Looks like the fan favorite Mark Jackson hasn't made a strong impression. Also looks like the Bucks might make a play for Bud, that would be like the choice Kerr had to make the Warriors or the Knicks. No way Bud turns down the Bucks if he's offered both jobs.

Kerr never had any intention on coming to NY, Kerr used the Knicks to get a high salary range from GS Warriors.
Kerr brang coach Gentry along with him to the Warriors to run the SSOL system, not the Triangle offense.

The Knicks will do themselves an injustice if they don't hire (a New York bound) Mark Jackson as head-coach, and Stackhouse as assistant coach. The Knicks need to sign a head coach that wont get raddled by the BIG-APPLE media, plus know the inside/outside of developing young guards to lead a winning team = Mark Jackson !!!

tiger0330

Legend
Suns hire Igor Kokoskov, Jazz asst to be their new head coach. He's a former asst there so they have history with him. I'd expect this to spur the Knicks to make a decision shortly.

th

Fizdale getting a ton of buzz online as our future head coach. Maybe even with Woodson as assistant coach. Almost enough smoke to say there?s fire there at this point.

mafra

Legend
Marc Stein:

?Interesting wrinkle in the Knicks' coaching search: League sources say Mark Jackson has received a strong behind-the-scenes push from Rich Kleiman, Kevin Durant's longtime business partner and a lifelong Knicks fan who is close to both Jackson and Knicks president Steve Mills.?

I?m all for hiring Mark Jackson, but if Durant?s business partner has any effect on the process, this franchise needs to replace our front office ASAP and install leadership with its own vision.

Kiyaman

Legend
Hornacek has to be feeling real sick after finding out who the replacement will be as the Knicks head-coach .. Fizdale !!!