Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 59
  1. #31
    12th man
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    10,747
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mafra View Post
    “Fiz is a great fit anywhere,’’ Spoelstra told reporters in Philadelphia on Monday, according to ESPN.com. “He’s a brilliant basketball mind that has exceptional, gold-standard level communication skills. He’s one of my best friends.

    “But I say that objectively. I just think he’s one of the most talented coaches I’ve been around. I feel very grateful that we had an opportunity to work together for so long. I just, I hope he goes West. That’s the kind of respect I have for him. I don’t want him going anywhere in the East.”If

    The Knicks are not convinced Fizdale’s feud with his star European player is a red flag. It is a sensitive matter because their Latvian All-Star big man Kristaps Porzingis and fired head coach Jeff Hornacek didn’t get along well, especially in 2016-17, despite Porzingis saying they had “a good relationship.’’

    According to an NBA source close to the situation, the Knicks coaching staff believes Porzingis was “poisoned’’ by Carmelo Anthony regarding last season’s coaching staff.
    I've been hearing about how good a coach Fizdale was since he was an ass't with the Heat. Fiz will probably get multiple job offers and it's going to take a ton of convincing by Perry and Mills to get him here along with Dolan agreeing to open the Knicks check book. CHA strikes me as a good landing spot for Stackhouse so I think MJ goes to the head of the class for the Knicks job with Blatt a close second.

  2. #32
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,524
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by donchris View Post
    Much as I love VanGundy, he hasn't coached in 11 years and the game and league has changed tremendously during this time. Mark Jackson is intriguing, as is Fizdale. Not sure why we're talking about Stackhouse. I'd like to see a more tenured coach. Wright's not leaving Villanova. David Blat is a great Euro coach and could be interesting. Honestly, I really like that we're giving Woodson another shot.

    If I had to rate the candidates, I'd do so in this order.

    Mark Jackson
    David Fizdale
    Mike Woodson
    David Blat
    I like the list even tho I would put Woody half a step above Fiz. Woody didnít get a fair shake and I believe the Knicks would play better defense under Woody. Mark Jackson is a no brainer and would be my first choice as well. Good to have old-heads like you and C.C. back on board.

  3. #33
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,524
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiyaman View Post
    Head Coach Mark Jackson
    Assistant coach Woodson & Stackhouse
    This line-up would be a dream come true. I would love to see Stack on the staff, but Iím not sure if heís ready to be head coach in the Knicks toxic, expectation laden environment. Iím not sure Woody would leave LA to be an assistant unless we hired Doc Rivers.

  4. #34
    12th man
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    10,747
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    MIL 2 down in the series with BOS. I would think if the Bucks get swept they will be looking to replace Prunty. Going to be a lot of competition for the top coaches this off-season.

  5. #35
    12th man
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,547
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    It would be nice if we hired the new head coach & assistant head coach before the start of the NBA Finals
    Mark Jackson is in NY !!!

  6. #36
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,524
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiyaman View Post
    It would be nice if we hired the new head coach & assistant head coach before the start of the NBA Finals
    Mark Jackson is in NY !!!
    Heís interviewing today

  7. #37
    12th man
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    10,747
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tiger0330 View Post
    I thought Coach Bud was safe in ATL since they stripped him of all their players. My guess is it's his decision to move on, with the Suns further ahead in the rebuilding process than the Hawks, he also relinquished the President title last year.

    I'd look at anyone from the Spurs and Pops coaching tree.
    If they can work out the compensation because Bud is still under contract for 17M/2 years the Knicks should hire him. Most qualified of any of the candidates but saving the Hawks the remaining 17M on his contract is all I would give the Hawks, no draft picks.

  8. #38
    Veteran mafra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    7,674
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    ďBudenholzerís record in five seasons with Atlanta was 213-197, after he finished a career-worst 24-58 this past season.

    Budenholzer was a Spurs assistant under Gregg Popovich from 1996-2013. The Knicks will also meet with another coach on the Popovich tree, Spurs assistant James Borrego, according to ESPN. Borrego was interim head coach with Orlando in 2014-15 when current Knicks general manager Scott Perry was there.Ē

  9. #39
    12th man
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    10,747
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tiger0330 View Post
    If they can work out the compensation because Bud is still under contract for 17M/2 years the Knicks should hire him. Most qualified of any of the candidates but saving the Hawks the remaining 17M on his contract is all I would give the Hawks, no draft picks.
    It's being reported the Hawks might not ask for picks but would accept the remainder of Bud's contract being bought out as reasonable compensation for him. He supposedly wants to live in NY also, Knicks have to hire this guy, if we can get him without giving up picks as compensation. I would give the Hawks cash if they wanted also.

  10. #40
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    6,835
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tiger0330 View Post
    It's being reported the Hawks might not ask for picks but would accept the remainder of Bud's contract being bought out as reasonable compensation for him. He supposedly wants to live in NY also, Knicks have to hire this guy, if we can get him without giving up picks as compensation. I would give the Hawks cash if they wanted also.
    I guess that I donít entirely get the excitement for Budenholzer as coach instead of Mark Jackson or bringing back Woodson. Jackson and Woodson know how hard it is to deal with this franchise already. Budenholzer had good rosters his winning years in Atlanta and if he got used to a functional system his years in San Antonio, trying to function in NY might be impossible for him.

  11. #41
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    33
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tiger0330 View Post
    It's being reported the Hawks might not ask for picks but would accept the remainder of Bud's contract being bought out as reasonable compensation for him. He supposedly wants to live in NY also, Knicks have to hire this guy, if we can get him without giving up picks as compensation. I would give the Hawks cash if they wanted also.
    If the Hawks aren't wanting picks and would accept cash, or if they want a second round pick or two thrown in there, then that could be a good deal for us. The guy is a well respected head coach and can develop players as he's shown this season. Give him the right group of veterans and he can get a team to the play offs. So he seems to be a head coach that can adapt from getting the most out of players to developing them, whether or not he can head a rebuild and kick a team on is yet to be seen, but of the people we've been linked with I would like to see him given an opportunity to coach here.

    Quote Originally Posted by htr10 View Post
    I guess that I don’t entirely get the excitement for Budenholzer as coach instead of Mark Jackson or bringing back Woodson. Jackson and Woodson know how hard it is to deal with this franchise already. Budenholzer had good rosters his winning years in Atlanta and if he got used to a functional system his years in San Antonio, trying to function in NY might be impossible for him.
    The issue I have with Mark Jackson is that he did end up alienating a lot of people in the Warriors organization, which is part of the reason why he got fired despite being successful in helping them rebuild. Sure he has experience of having been here before but if he ends up rubbing people the wrong way and can't get along with them, whether they work in the front office or player on the roster, it could be problematic.

    Woodson could be an interesting hire because he did help rebuild the Atlanta Hawks. So of those two I would rather us bring back Woodson than go for Jackson.

  12. #42
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    5,096
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1989 View Post
    If the Hawks aren't wanting picks and would accept cash, or if they want a second round pick or two thrown in there, then that could be a good deal for us. The guy is a well respected head coach and can develop players as he's shown this season. Give him the right group of veterans and he can get a team to the play offs. So he seems to be a head coach that can adapt from getting the most out of players to developing them, whether or not he can head a rebuild and kick a team on is yet to be seen, but of the people we've been linked with I would like to see him given an opportunity to coach here.



    The issue I have with Mark Jackson is that he did end up alienating a lot of people in the Warriors organization, which is part of the reason why he got fired despite being successful in helping them rebuild. Sure he has experience of having been here before but if he ends up rubbing people the wrong way and can't get along with them, whether they work in the front office or player on the roster, it could be problematic.

    Woodson could be an interesting hire because he did help rebuild the Atlanta Hawks. So of those two I would rather us bring back Woodson than go for Jackson.
    Brian Scalabrine recently spoke on Mark Jackson and said he takes full credit in being responsible for his firing. He was a mole of moles. Scal has no horse in this race whatsoever, so I'm taking his admission on this past situation very heavily here. He was there during the Dubs come up phase and yet endorses MJ getting another crack at a coaching gig, that says a lot.

    I like the idea of bringing in Bud he's from the Spurs coaching tree but what I have a hard time dealing with is this...very similar to us acquiring THJR(you know the guy ATL wouldn't budge past $48mil on)

    Why would ATL allow him to go on this coaching search carousel without asking for heavy compensation, after all he did there? Bud once had high executive privileges there then surrendered them...WHY?

    ATL has picks 4, 18, 30, 33....ummmm why wouldn't they want Bud to remain there knowing these are the assets on the way?


    Something isn't right here and I'm not quite sure what it is

  13. #43
    12th man
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    10,747
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post
    Brian Scalabrine recently spoke on Mark Jackson and said he takes full credit in being responsible for his firing. He was a mole of moles. Scal has no horse in this race whatsoever, so I'm taking his admission on this past situation very heavily here. He was there during the Dubs come up phase and yet endorses MJ getting another crack at a coaching gig, that says a lot.

    I like the idea of bringing in Bud he's from the Spurs coaching tree but what I have a hard time dealing with is this...very similar to us acquiring THJR(you know the guy ATL wouldn't budge past $48mil on)

    Why would ATL allow him to go on this coaching search carousel without asking for heavy compensation, after all he did there? Bud once had high executive privileges there then surrendered them...WHY?

    ATL has picks 4, 18, 30, 33....ummmm why wouldn't they want Bud to remain there knowing these are the assets on the way?


    Something isn't right here and I'm not quite sure what it is
    Pretty sure Bud feels slighted being demoted from President and HC to head coach with perhaps asking for an extension and being told no. He's a good coach, Knicks should hire him because he hits all the check marks you want in a coach.

  14. #44
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    5,096
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tiger0330 View Post
    Pretty sure Bud feels slighted being demoted from President and HC to head coach with perhaps asking for an extension and being told no. He's a good coach, Knicks should hire him because he hits all the check marks you want in a coach.
    I think most of the ones we've interviewed do. I won't be mad if hire him at all but I don't think he's a Slam Dunk option either, there are concerns

  15. #45
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    33
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post
    Brian Scalabrine recently spoke on Mark Jackson and said he takes full credit in being responsible for his firing. He was a mole of moles. Scal has no horse in this race whatsoever, so I'm taking his admission on this past situation very heavily here. He was there during the Dubs come up phase and yet endorses MJ getting another crack at a coaching gig, that says a lot.

    I like the idea of bringing in Bud he's from the Spurs coaching tree but what I have a hard time dealing with is this...very similar to us acquiring THJR(you know the guy ATL wouldn't budge past $48mil on)

    Why would ATL allow him to go on this coaching search carousel without asking for heavy compensation, after all he did there? Bud once had high executive privileges there then surrendered them...WHY?

    ATL has picks 4, 18, 30, 33....ummmm why wouldn't they want Bud to remain there knowing these are the assets on the way?


    Something isn't right here and I'm not quite sure what it is
    The reason why Atlanta have allowed him to go on this coaching search could be down to them trying to get something in return for a head coach that they might not end up keeping long term. If you can get a second round pick for him, or even cash considerations, that is better than having to dig out the checkbook and fire Budenholzer sometime during the remaining two seasons on his contract. Trading him costs you nothing, firing him costs you money.

    Last year Bud "gave up" the president of basketball operations part of his job. Generally speaking when a person gives up a job like that it is usually the case they have been given a choice between stepping down on their own terms or being fired. Also, Wes Wilcox stepped down from his position as General Manager and became a "special adviser" to the ownership group. Again that screams of step down on your own terms or be fired.

    The Hawks decided to make wholesale changes last year when their window closed. From their 60-win team they lost Demarre Carroll (2015), Al Horford (2016), and Paul Millsap (2017) to free agency and traded away Jeff Teague and Kyle Korver in the 2016-17 season. Essentially the Hawks made the right decision to start a rebuild when Paul Millsap decided to depart. Had they kept the team together I think the changes in the front office probably wouldn't have been made. But because those departures did happen and their window ultimately closed, it is possible that their new general manager, Travis Schlenk, who they hired from Golden State could be willing to move on from Bud because he wants to hire his own guy.

    As you say in your post, they have four picks in the coming draft. I would go further and say that they do have some talented young players already on their roster. Dennis Schroder just had a career year (19.4 PPG 6.2 APG). John Collins made a positive impression as a rookie power forward and Taurean Prince made strides as he stepped into their starting small forward position (he hit .385% of his three point shots). It depends on how the draft falls but if they came away with Luka Doncic (4th) and say Mitchell Robinson (19th) that could complete their young line up. Alternatively if they draft DeAndre Ayton, Jaren Jackson or Mohamed Bamba with their first pick, they could always retain Kent Bazemore in their starting line up at shooting guard, or look at one of the guard prospects with their second pick in the first round (i.e. Lonnie Walker, Khyri Thomas, Zhaire Smith, Gary Trent Jr etc). This is also ignoring the fact they will have cap space for 2018 free agency and a ton of space in 2019 because then they will only have Bazemore (if he opts in, if he opts out that's an extra $19 million), Schroder, Plumlee, Prince, Collins, Bembry and their drafted players on the books.

    So in a sense it might appear strange that they are willing to move on from Bud considering this could be a quick rebuild, but it is not really strange considering he's already been demoted and has to work with a new front office. It is quite common for new front offices in major sports to move on from existing head coaches. So I suspect Bud wants out before they fire him and the Hawks want to move him before they fire him.

Similar Threads

  1. Why Hornacek has failed as Knicks coach
    By Paul1355 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Feb 07, 2018, 19:56
  2. Replies: 21
    Last Post: Oct 26, 2017, 09:41
  3. Jeff Hornacek
    By Playa2 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Dec 08, 2016, 05:48
  4. Replies: 58
    Last Post: Sep 08, 2016, 01:27
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: Aug 04, 2016, 16:21

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •