[KO Column] Who is the Point Guard of the future?

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Who is the Point Guard of the Future?
By Conor Geelan
Although New York City boasts the production of many talented, crafty point guards (such as Kemba Walker and Stephon Marbury), the New York Knicks roster has not featured a superstar or even All-Star point guard in recent memory.

Aside from a few exceptions in the top tier of small forwards, including LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Kawhi Leonard, and Giannis Antetokounmpo, the most talented position in today?s NBA is the point guard.

Nearly every year, the Western Conference has a star point guard like Chris Paul or Damian Lillard, both top 25 players in the NBA, snubbed from the All-Star roster. Similarly, three candidates to replace injured players on the Eastern Conference All-Star roster were floor generals Goran Dragic, Kemba Walker, and Ben Simmons.

Considering that there is so much talent at the position, it is remarkable that the Knicks have had trouble filling out their roster with talented point guards.

Read full story

Kiyaman

Legend
In the past decade or more the clueless mismanagement Knicks has always put a selfish individual-performance starter SG or Melo in the rotation that want to lead the point but dont co-exist in the back-court with any of the teams PG.
When a teams PG and SG don't work well together at getting the other 3 teammates into the offense, the team will have a big problem getting rebounds, ball-movement, and defensive effort from the other 3 teammates on the court.
As a long time Knicks Fan i witness this from the Knicks team for over a decade.
Once upon a time .. long time ago, I watch PG-Chris Child, SG-Houston, and Point-Forward-Sprewell work a creative ball-movement in the Knicks offensive system for Ewing and Camby to average double-double games to become a 8th seeded postseason team to go all the way to the NBA FINALS in 1999.

When the clueless mismanagement Knicks get their act together to put a well coaching-staff together plus put a back-court co-existing tandem of guards in the starter lineup to average 6 to 10 team-assist per 30 minute are when the Knicks cant blame the PG position for every little problem the team have.

The clueless Knicks drafted a young 6.6 still growing Point-Forward in the 2017 draft Frank Ntilikina.
The clueless Knicks picked up a dynamic athletic scoring/passing PG Trey Burke out of the G.League that's a great asset as a starter or backup PG.

Mudiay has not had good chemistry with any of the SG in any of the NBA lineups he been in.
CLee and Tim Hardaway has not co-existed with any of the PG they had in their career in the NBA.

Last edited:

jimkcchief88

All Star
It?s comedy we still don?t have a point. Frank needs to slide to 3 and we should grab Colin Sexton. That kid is dynamic. Trey Burke should stay in the mix. I?m hoping Mudiay gets it someday, but I don?t think NYC is the place. Too much pressure.

p0nder

Starter
I don't really like any of the point guard options listed tbh. Trae Young is the highest ceiling I can see. So if we go PG in the draft I hope it is him. Frank has been a disappointment on the offensive end. If he can't improve his dribble drive and shooting he will find himself buried on the depth chart. Consider also chemistry with KP and there are more ? then answers at PG right now.

For my money i think we should stick with Trey Burke at starting PG and develop Frank's enormous potential as a 2-way player. I had hoped mudiay would show more promise under these bright lights but it was pretty ho-hum and more of the same.

tiger0330

Legend
Draft a PG and the Knicks situation will be like they had with big men this year, we're going to have to move someone. Frank has a higher ceiling at PG than as a SG and probably has the highest trade value but Mudiay would be the guy I would move if we draft Sexton or Young though I prefer the Knicks draft Bridges of Villanova if he's still on the board over Sexton or Young if all three are there when we pick.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Yes! Knicks need a SF (wing) player... I agree that we probably are much closer to not having a PG than having one...

But, I can live with Knits, Burke, Mudiay, Dotson for another year. I also think Frank has a ton of room for growth.

Now, if we love Sexton or Young, and they are best available... then grab him and let talent sort itself out moving forward.

I also think we can grab a G in free agency or second round, to add to the competition.

SF is a bigger need. I?d prefer a dynamic scorer, bc we lack that in the backcourt... Is that available at 9? Bridges and Frank and KP would be the foundation moving fwd, and all 3 can be 2-way players (and this is they key, to have 5-7 guys who can contribute on both ends of the floor).

They key is, next year isn?t our year. It should be THE FINAL rebuilding year.... with KP out until Jan.... Knicks should just throw kids out there and let them develop... 1 more lottery next summer, plus next year?s free agency, should put us in the 50-win category come 2019/2020.

jimkcchief88

All Star
I don't really like any of the point guard options listed tbh. Trae Young is the highest ceiling I can see. So if we go PG in the draft I hope it is him. Frank has been a disappointment on the offensive end. If he can't improve his dribble drive and shooting he will find himself buried on the depth chart. Consider also chemistry with KP and there are more ? then answers at PG right now.

For my money i think we should stick with Trey Burke at starting PG and develop Frank's enormous potential as a 2-way player. I had hoped mudiay would show more promise under these bright lights but it was pretty ho-hum and more of the same.

Nope. Big 12 defenses figured out how to stop Trey Burke pretty quickly. Colin Sexton got better down the stretch and into the tourney and was coached up by Avery Johnson.

cgeelan

Rookie
I totally get what you are saying about needing another wing, but I want to bring up that if we are going to need another rebuilding year (and hence another high pick), why are we to prioritize a wing this year and not the next? Maybe I am gambling that there is good wing talent next year.

cgeelan

Rookie
In the past decade or more the clueless mismanagement Knicks has always put a selfish individual-performance starter SG or Melo in the rotation that want to lead the point but dont co-exist in the back-court with any of the teams PG.
When a teams PG and SG don't work well together at getting the other 3 teammates into the offense, the team will have a big problem getting rebounds, ball-movement, and defensive effort from the other 3 teammates on the court.
As a long time Knicks Fan i witness this from the Knicks team for over a decade.
Once upon a time .. long time ago, I watch PG-Chris Child, SG-Houston, and Point-Forward-Sprewell work a creative ball-movement in the Knicks offensive system for Ewing and Camby to average double-double games to become a 8th seeded postseason team to go all the way to the NBA FINALS in 1999.

When the clueless mismanagement Knicks get their act together to put a well coaching-staff together plus put a back-court co-existing tandem of guards in the starter lineup to average 6 to 10 team-assist per 30 minute are when the Knicks cant blame the PG position for every little problem the team have.

The clueless Knicks drafted a young 6.6 still growing Point-Forward in the 2017 draft Frank Ntilikina.
The clueless Knicks picked up a dynamic athletic scoring/passing PG Trey Burke out of the G.League that's a great asset as a starter or backup PG.

Mudiay has not had good chemistry with any of the SG in any of the NBA lineups he been in.
CLee and Tim Hardaway has not co-existed with any of the PG they had in their career in the NBA.

You are right in saying that Lee and Hardaway have never meshed with their point guards, but I do not think that is their fault at all. I actually think Lee is the perfect SG if you want to pair a PG with a role player and Hardaway would be nice along side someone who cannot score as much, like Ntilikina.

Kiyaman

Legend
You are right in saying that Lee and Hardaway have never meshed with their point guards, but I do not think that is their fault at all. I actually think Lee is the perfect SG if you want to pair a PG with a role player and Hardaway would be nice along side someone who cannot score as much, like Ntilikina.

The Knicks need to work on Frank Knits lenth/deoth as a multi-positional player throughout the offseason to become the Knicks future 2-way point-forward by letting Knits play the SF & SG position in next season rotation.

As for the Knicks PG position .. Mudiay, Burke, and maybe Jack should be given a shot at next season starter-role and backup-role. The Knicks PG performance will have a lot to do with their backcort SG-Tim Hardaway Jr. performance, or SG-Courtney Lee's performance.
Our SG-Dotson will have to be very impressive in the summer league games.
I hope the Knicks don't draft a guard with our early pick.

cgeelan

Rookie
The Knicks need to work on Frank Knits lenth/deoth as a multi-positional player throughout the offseason to become the Knicks future 2-way point-forward by letting Knits play the SF & SG position in next season rotation.

As for the Knicks PG position .. Mudiay, Burke, and maybe Jack should be given a shot at next season starter-role and backup-role. The Knicks PG performance will have a lot to do with their backcort SG-Tim Hardaway Jr. performance, or SG-Courtney Lee's performance.
Our SG-Dotson will have to be very impressive in the summer league games.
I hope the Knicks don't draft a guard with our early pick.

I don't agree with you saying that Frank could be a Point-Forward. Yes, he is very long, but as a point forward, he starts literally at SF which is not great because he is 6'6. I suppose you could say that he's playing guard anyways with this and can guard wings, but I don't think this would be his fit.

cgeelan

Rookie
Mudiay Gone

It?s comedy we still don?t have a point. Frank needs to slide to 3 and we should grab Colin Sexton. That kid is dynamic. Trey Burke should stay in the mix. I?m hoping Mudiay gets it someday, but I don?t think NYC is the place. Too much pressure.

I don't think he will be successful here because NYC won't let him develop fully with all the young point guards and New York's signature impatience.

Kiyaman

Legend
I don't agree with you saying that Frank could be a Point-Forward. Yes, he is very long, but as a point forward, he starts literally at SF which is not great because he is 6'6. I suppose you could say that he's playing guard anyways with this and can guard wings, but I don't think this would be his fit.

Its a great fit when u put Tim Hardaway at his original position SG .. The regular season collapse of Courtney Lee and Tim Hardaway Jr. in the same lineup was Failure from the start the two SG should never be in the same lineup again after this disaster season.
I would rather develop a same-page lineup of Burke/Dotson/and Frank to have success rather then spend valuable time trying to get Lee and Timmy on the same-page with their teammates.
I like Frank at the SG when having SF Troy Williams & PG Burke in the same lineup.
I like having Frank Knits leading the point in the 4th quarter for his relentless defense, and low turnover ratio.
The Knicks are in desperate need of a low-post scoring/rebounding PF from the draft for next season .. never was thrilled bout KP as the PF the guy is scared of physical contact !!!

cgeelan

Rookie
Its a great fit when u put Tim Hardaway at his original position SG .. The regular season collapse of Courtney Lee and Tim Hardaway Jr. in the same lineup was Failure from the start the two SG should never be in the same lineup again after this disaster season.
I would rather develop a same-page lineup of Burke/Dotson/and Frank to have success rather then spend valuable time trying to get Lee and Timmy on the same-page with their teammates.
I like Frank at the SG when having SF Troy Williams & PG Burke in the same lineup.
I like having Frank Knits leading the point in the 4th quarter for his relentless defense, and low turnover ratio.
The Knicks are in desperate need of a low-post scoring/rebounding PF from the draft for next season .. never was thrilled bout KP as the PF the guy is scared of physical contact !!!
Woah woah woah. Last thing you said -- are you saying to move KP?? Cuz no way you can move him to center w/ his lack of physicality. Or get a really good 6th man PF -- (Marcus Morris comes to mind?). Also, I don't think that a lineup of Burke, Dotson AND Frank can ever be a part of a championship team unless Dotson somehow pulls some Jimmy Bulter type leap...

Kiyaman

Legend
Woah woah woah. Last thing you said -- are you saying to move KP?? Cuz no way you can move him to center w/ his lack of physicality. Or get a really good 6th man PF -- (Marcus Morris comes to mind?). Also, I don't think that a lineup of Burke, Dotson AND Frank can ever be a part of a championship team unless Dotson somehow pulls some Jimmy Bulter type leap...

The Knicks signing the right head coach and assistant coach could develop Burke/Dotson/and Frank to be a dynamic 2-way performance trio.
Tim Hardaway Jr. were more of a outside/inside scoring threat as a rookie then he was throughout this 2017-18 season.
KP is a big project needing to improve on B.ball IQ (learn how to pass after grabbing a defensive rebound), plus KP need a better weight-trainer n Dietician to keep him in shape n healthy to welcome physical play down low in 75 games per season. Certain things I cant blame KP for not knowing or doing like co-existing with any of his teammates on offense or defense because of all the Knicks delusional head coaches different experiment lineups game after game. A lot of the Basic moves in b.ball for a big man to have when he enters the NBA KP did not have in his b.ball curriculum. When KP entered the NBA he was without all the big-man tools to maneuver inside the paint, and his passing-skills were awful. And DUM-DUM Phil Jackson put rookie KP in the starter lineup to have a 32 win season. The past 3 seasons KP were a 7.3 big-guard having somewhat decent handle.
In 3 seasons we couldn't get KP inside the paint to defend or score in the low post, or average above 6 rebounds in 34 minute .. when KP return next season during midseason after tearing ACL .. do we expect KP to be better or the same outside 7.3 SG ???

Kiyaman

Legend
A article by Berman .. on Mudiay

Former Knicks coach Larry Brown, who was close to a commitment from Emmanuel Mudiay to play at SMU, said the only thing standing in the 22-year-old point guard?s way to excellence is getting in ?unbelievable?? shape.

Brown still is in contact with the Mudiays. Jean-Micheal Mudiay, Emmanuel?s brother, played for Brown at SMU. But his younger brother chose China, bypassing college ? a decision that haunts the family.

After falling on his head versus Miami on April 6, Mudiay missed the final three games of the Knicks? season with a concussion. Placed in the NBA?s concussion protocol, the point guard wasn?t cleared for basketball activities until last week, according to an NBA source.

Mudiay is now working out in Dallas. The Knicks did not allow Mudiay to talk to the media after suffering his head injury under concussion-protocol bylaws.

?I talk to Emmanuel all the time,?? Brown told The Post in a phone interview. ?I loved the kid. He?s been injured a lot during the course of his career and only played eight games in China. But I don?t think Emmanuel has ever been in the greatest shape of his life. That position you have to be an elite athlete and in unbelievable shape. I don?t know until he got to the NBA if he has ever been coached the way he needed to be coached.?
Modal TriggerLarry BrownAP
Jean-Micheal told The Post after the February trade that brought his brother from the Nuggets that he believes Emmanuel would be a lot further along in his development if he had spent his freshman year in 2014-15 at SMU with Brown, who stepped down as coach in 2016.

Knicks general manager Scott Perry, who worked with Brown in Detroit, has consulted with the Hall of Fame coach about Mudiay since he became a Knick. Brown said Mudiay?s decision to play in China was ?strictly financial.??

?I talked to Scott about him a lot,?? Brown said. ?I don?t mean to be an egomaniac, but I think any youngster playing with me and my staff is going to get a lot out of the college experience. And when they go to the NBA, they?ll be better prepared.??

A full training camp with the Knicks and a new coaching staff could help Mudiay revive his career. He was a disappointment in his 22 games, starting 14 straight games before losing the job to Trey Burke. In 22.4 minutes, Mudiay averaged 8.8 points, 3.9 assists, shot 36.8 percent and had a poor plus-minus.

The Knicks could enter training camp with all three of their 25-and-under lottery-pick point guards in Burke, Mudiay and rookie Frank Ntilikina. Or one of them could be traded.

?I just think if you can get him for a second-round pick and bring him to New York, surround him with people like Scott, who isn?t afraid to tell him what he needs to do, I think he?s got a great opportunity with Frank and the way Trey has improved,?? Brown said. ?Those are three darn good guards. They have an unbelievable upside. It?s all about Emmanuel being in great shape because he has a great feel for the game. When I watched him in high school, I thought if he came to SMU we had a chance to win a national championship.??

After reading Berman article on Larry Brown's view on Mudiay, I took another look at what Mudiay gave us in the 22 games as a Knick after the trade dead-line ..
Mudiay average 22 minute to score 9 pts, 2 rb, 4 dimes, 1 stl, and 2 turnovers ....
What's your opinion on Mudiay ???

ESPN says Colin Sexton will fall to us and we need to grab him. I?m today?s NBA you can?t have enough guards.

Not sure where everyone else stands, but if we walk away from this draft with Sexton, Trae Young, or Mikal Bridges, then I?m going to be excited. Young is the least my kind of player out of those 3, but man, any of those would be huge upgrades for us from day 1 at their respective positions. Can?t wait for the playoffs to end and for us to get into draft talk.

tiger0330

Legend
I could see Young knocking down 29-30 3 point shots during his workout and the Knicks using that as the reason to draft him. That's why Trae to me has the most upside or bust possibility, he's smallish so the longer more athletic players at the next level may be able to cool down his perimeter shooting which would limit his upside in the NBA. That said, it would be hard to not select a kid that was near perfect shooting the long ball in his workouts.

Kiyaman

Legend
Not sure where everyone else stands, but if we walk away from this draft with Sexton, Trae Young, or Mikal Bridges, then I’m going to be excited. Young is the least my kind of player out of those 3, but man, any of those would be huge upgrades for us from day 1 at their respective positions. Can’t wait for the playoffs to end and for us to get into draft talk.

If the Knicks are able to select Mikal Bridges with the 9th pick, Perry should go all out at trading the next pick and cash to get Bridges Villanova teammate Jalen Brunson. Other than Brunson, the Knicks don't need any more Guards out the draft.
Having Mikal Bridges at the SF spot next season are just what the Dr. ordered for Knicks success.
I will not be a happy Knick if the Knicks draft a guard with the 9th pick.