David Fizdale to be Knicks Next Head Coach

ESPN is reporting that David Fizdale has agreed to a 4-year deal to be the next Knicks head coach after meeting with James Dolan. Fizdale has his work cut out for him.

Story also says that Fizdale will travel to Latvia to meet with KP. Fizdale not wanting to repeat the bad relationship with Gasol that tanked his job as Memphis Head coach.

Seemed like KOL was split between wanting Budenholzer or Mark Jackson. I?m guessing people are going to be overall concerned about this hire on here. Can?t be worse than Hornacek (famous last words).

tiger0330

Legend
Seemed like KOL was split between wanting Budenholzer or Mark Jackson. I’m guessing people are going to be overall concerned about this hire on here. Can’t be worse than Hornacek (famous last words).
Fiz was my first choice before Bud became available without compensating ATL. I think Fiz is the next best hire after Bud, Spoelstra who I think is a good coach loves the guy saying he's a brilliant coach and that's saying something coming from him. Horn never got the most out of this team I don't think Fiz is going to have that problem. Fiz supposedly turned down the Suns, probably for financial reasons but at least Mills and Perry were able to land the guy they wanted and not have to settle for a DFish over Kerr.

mafra

Legend
Wojo reports:

?Fizdale, who coached the Memphis Grizzlies into the Western Conference playoffs in his one full season as coach, was New York?s primary target from the start of the search process.?

Fiz already booked flight to Latvia, which is a good thing...

?I really just want to get back on this sideline and take what I learned from this last situation and really try to apply it to the next organization,? Fizdale said during his interview with The Jump last December. ?I?m not faultless in all this stuff. I don?t want to sit here and act like that. I have mistakes that I made and things that I want to grow from and learn. So whatever kind of team that is -- whether that?s a contender or a young team trying to be a contender or a young team trying to develop -- I?m ready to face it all.?

Apparently, Perry and Mills actually exhausted avenues before settling on their top choice from the start. Good work guys.

Fiz or Bud or Jax? Tough call, but I think we made the right call. Cut from the Riley tree, groomed under Eric Spols and the big-3 in MIA... took his lumps, made his mistakes and learned in the job in MEM.

He doesn?t have to worry about a thing this season, with KP?s injury... so, he can imprint his mantra, establish his system, develop his style... all without any pressure. Let?s see if he can develop the kids.

mafra

Legend
Fizdale was at the top of several teams coaching searches, including Charlotte, Orlando and Atlanta, league sources said. He interviewed for those jobs and all three were interested in advancing the conversation with him, sources said. Fizdale and the Suns had discussed deal terms before Fizdale moved on, hoping to get an offer from the Knicks, league sources said.

Fizdale is the Knicks' 11th coach since the 2001-02 season and the fifth since the start of the 2010-11 season. Management hopes that he can start to elevate a franchise that hasn't reached the playoffs in five seasons.

-ESPN

mafra

Legend
If only for a day, Frankie Smokes should spark a celebratory cigar. Per ESPN, the New York Knicks signed David Fizdale to a four-year contract on Thursday, making him the 29th head coach in franchise history. The key takeaway from this hire? Phil Jackson?s reign of influence is finally, officially, over.

Leftovers from the Triangle are now a thing of the past. Fizdale has helped modernize both the Heat and the Grizzlies, and he?ll take his act to Madison Square Garden. Though Fizdale didn?t even have time to find a favorite ribs joint in Memphis?the Grizzlies hired him in 2016, his first head coaching job, only to fire him 19 games into the 2017-18 season?he did solidify his reputation as a player?s coach during his short time with the franchise. Fizdale?s work as a bigs whisperer goes back further to his time as an assistant with the Heat. ?I wouldn?t have a job right now as a head coach if Chris Bosh couldn?t shoot 3s,? Fizdale told ESPN in 2016. ?And he developed that in Miami.?

Fizdale helped Bosh transform into the prototypical stretch 4 that is now a staple for most frontcourts. In addition to becoming more comfortable from the perimeter on offense, he also became more effective defending the perimeter?two musts for most bigs these days. Also consider what he did with Marc Gasol: The big Spaniard attempted 588 3-pointers in the past two seasons combined; he attempted 66 in the previous eight. ?In my first conversation with Marc, I said, ?Well, you know I?m going to start taking you out if you don?t get up at least four 3-pointers a game,?? Fizdale told ESPN. ?And I think he about fell out of his chair when I said it.? Sure, Gasol didn?t exactly have a great relationship with the guy, and that likely influenced Fizdale?s eventual firing, but he?s now much better suited to survive in this era than he was before Fizdale?s tutelage.

In Memphis, Fizdale was tasked with taking an old team into the future, but he won?t need to play catch-up with his new franchise cornerstone this time around. Fizdale?s track record with Bosh is like getting double pink Starbursts in a Halloween two-pack for the Knicks: It bodes well for the actualization of Kristaps Porzingis?s potential as a unicorn, and also for the modernization of the Knicks? old-school offense in general.

To read more: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...mp/nba/2018/5/3/17317340/david-fizdale-knicks

tiger0330

Legend
I liked the stories I heard about Oladipo when the playoffs were finished he called his trainer and told him we got to get to work so I can be better next season or the one I heard about Capela buying into what John Lucas told him about meeting him at 6:30 in the morning to get up 250 FTs before his workouts. Fiz has the rep of a coach making the guys hone their craft and bringing out the best in a player. I think Horn should have gotten more out of Nits his first season and I'm looking for Fiz to mold the kid but all our young players need to be dedicated like Oladipo and Capela.

mafra

Legend
I agree. Fiz is a rare combo: a player?s coach yet a task master. Bosh and Gasol blossomed under his tutelage....

Jax and Bud would have been old NYK way of conducting business. Get ?a name? to satisfy fans. This hire, especially if he brings back Woodson, will be the start of something new, and we hope lasting and special.

mafra

Legend
?They got the best coach on the market, in my opinion,?? Billups said.

?I?d be happy if I was him,?? Billups said of Porzingis. ?[Fizdale] knows the game, is relatable, a contemporary and has coached great players and has a championship pedigree [with the Heat].??
Pierce was also effusive in his praise for the new hire.

?That?s one of the toughest jobs in the NBA coaching the Knicks, being that they?ve had four coaches in the last five years,?? Pierce said. ?He?s well-qualified for that job. The New York media is tough, the fans are tough. If it?s one guy who can deal with it, it?s Coach Fiz.??

While Rose said Mark Jackson would?ve been just as good a choice, the former Pacers and Knicks guard said Fizdale is going to be the ?right fit for New York.?

?He?ll be ready for the pressure that comes with the media, the fans and the expectations, especially being in Miami under [team president] Pat Riley,? Rose said. ?He?s developed a level of tough skin. He?ll be able to turn them around and make them respectable.??

Rose said the Knicks, though, will finish in the draft lottery next season because of Porzingis needing time to rehab from his ACL injury. In fact, Rose suggested Porzingis not come back next season. Sources have indicated he could be back by Christmas, though owner James Dolan didn?t rule out him missing the entire season in an interview with The Post last month.

?Porzingis won?t play,?? Rose said. ?I wouldn?t put him out there in any way, shape, or form.??

Kiyaman

Legend
Another Dolan PUPPET !!!

Yes! Dolan/Mills/Perry hired another LOSER headcoach .. I guess they figured why change from being LOSERS!

The 4 year contract is kind of funny. Only 2 of our last 10 or so head coaches have made it 4 years (D?Antoni and JVG). Must mean Fizdale gets 2 freebie seasons before he will start getting seriously evaluated for performance during his 3rd season.

Internet is ablaze with players, including a lot of the Knicks current roster, being thrilled that the Knicks hired Fizdale. Does this help us a couple offseasons down the road in free agency? I?m guessing only if we turn our record around on the court.

mafra

Legend
The 4 year contract is kind of funny. Only 2 of our last 10 or so head coaches have made it 4 years (D?Antoni and JVG). Must mean Fizdale gets 2 freebie seasons before he will start getting seriously evaluated for performance during his 3rd season.

Makes total sense... Next season almost a redshirt type year. KP won?t return until Jan... and it?ll be wise to probably let him sit until March (if not all year). We should be playing kids next year, developing them... get another lottery pick and then when KP returns, along with 2019 free agency, the goal is to be a playoff team 2019-2020 season. If the team fails and is still bogged down in the mud, then year 3 is make or break for Fiz.

Here's Marc Berman and the usual New York Post attempt at grabbing headlines by "reporting" that the Fizdale hire is part of a potential strategy to focus on Lebron James in free agency this offseason.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/04/soon-to-be-free-agent-lebron-james-loves-knicks-new-coach/

Apparently, all it would take is Kanter and O'Quinn opting out and trading Courtney Lee's contract to a team like Phoenix that can absorb it outright and we'd have 30 million dollars of cap space to offer to Lebron. We'd also have to not extend KP's contract (which I don't think we were going to do this offseason anyway).

It all sounds very feasible except for the part where we'd give Lebron 30 million to come here for 1 season and do what? Team up with THJ, Ntilikina, Mudiay, Lance Thomas, Dotson, and whatever rookie we draft. Noah would have to come back and be our starting center.

Kiyaman

Legend
I hate this selection for a head coach .. The Knicks had so many better options for a head coach.
Bad coach got fired for not getting along with a Big Euro.
Our so-call star player is a Big Euro.

Knicks STUPID front-office hired another assistant coach with one or 2 years of head coaching experience.
David Fizdale does not have the experience or resume to be a head coach in the NBA, especially in New York!
The Knicks has a young roster, plus the Knicks has a habit of adding 6 to 8 new players to the roster each season, because of clueless coaching!
The Heats head coach Spoelstra just recently started doing a decent job coaching young players, after Fiz left for Memphis.
Kenny Atkinson final season coaching Grizzles had a 42 win season before getting fired after the Spurs swept Grizz in first round .. Mark Gasol had a bad season Injury before All-Star weekend during Atkinson final season in Memphis.
The Grizz hired a first time head coach David Fizdale, whom inherited the Grizz consistent postseason team, and a full healthy roster to have a 43 win season the first time as a NBA head coach.
Fizdale was happy bout his first season as a NBA head coach in Memphis inheriting a winning team to give him a 43 win season.
During the off season the Grizzlies organization did a revamp of their roster, the same thing the Knicks do to their roster every offseason.
The Memphis Grizz fired coach David Fizdale, one day after the team dropped to 7-12 on the season, including eight straight losses.
PG Conley played in 12 of those games.

Did the Memphis Grizz do the right thing by firing head-coach David Fizdale 19 games into the start of the season?
The Knicks front office love to TANK season after season, so David Fizdale is the right PUPPET head coach for the Knicks !!!