David Fizdale to be Knicks Next Head Coach

Kiyaman

Legend
Here's Marc Berman and the usual New York Post attempt at grabbing headlines by "reporting" that the Fizdale hire is part of a potential strategy to focus on Lebron James in free agency this offseason.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/04/soon-to-be-free-agent-lebron-james-loves-knicks-new-coach/

Apparently, all it would take is Kanter and O'Quinn opting out and trading Courtney Lee's contract to a team like Phoenix that can absorb it outright and we'd have 30 million dollars of cap space to offer to Lebron. We'd also have to not extend KP's contract (which I don't think we were going to do this offseason anyway).

It all sounds very feasible except for the part where we'd give Lebron 30 million to come here for 1 season and do what? Team up with THJ, Ntilikina, Mudiay, Lance Thomas, Dotson, and whatever rookie we draft. Noah would have to come back and be our starting center.

Lebron made no effort to bring Fizdale to the Cavs as an assistant coach .. Berman is drunk again!

tiger0330

Legend
Fiz may or may not be the best head coach that was available but he's got long odds of becoming a success here where so many have failed. We've even had a HOF coach who is the only man to win an NBA and NCAA title and he lasted one season. He's the coach and his primary mission won't be to win but to be the Knicks version of Kenny Atkinson and develop his young players KP, Ntilikina, Dotson, Hicks, Mudiay, Kornet. I was impressed with what Kenny did with JLin, I hope Fiz can do the same for us.

mafra

Legend
The Knicks have a new coach! Or rather, of course they do.

It?s a rite of spring for a team that more often resembles a cargo cult than an N.B.A. franchise. As the Cavaliers and the Warriors and the Celtics and the Rockets soldier on playing playoff games, the Knicks fire someone and proclaim a new savior.

Last year, I drove up to the Knicks? compound in Greenburgh, N.Y., as they introduced us to Scott Perry, the new general manager, who seems like a nice fellow. The year before that, it was Jeff Hornacek, the amiably bland new coach. And the year before that. ?

I truly don?t want to sound sour. No, no. The new new coach, David Fizdale, is by most accounts a bright and personable man, an analytically sound hoops savant. The great LeBron James describes him as akin to a player whisperer. He worked a little magic as the rookie coach of the Memphis Grizzlies in the 2016-17 season before his team ran upon a reef of injuries and an aging star started to grumble and the coach was tossed into the roiling sea. He is well regarded by some of the best coaches in this league, such as the Warriors? Steve Kerr and the Heat?s Erik Spoelstra.

Fizdale might turn the Knicks into a recognizable N.B.A. team, if he survives next season and the season after that. Organizational pathology has been the problem. The Knicks, whether out of despair or boredom, devour coaches. Fizdale will be the Knicks? 12th coach in 18 seasons.

Blessed with a spectacular talent, a 7-foot-3 hybrid of a shooting guard and a pterodactyl defender, most teams would craft a team and organizational philosophy around him. The Golden State Warriors built a magnificent jazz band around their transcendent point guard Stephen Curry. The Houston Rockets have crafted a score and score again machine around two great guards, James Harden and Chris Paul. The Philadelphia 76ers are building out from the twin foundation stones of Joel Embiid and point guard Ben Simmons.

These teams have mostly put an emphasis on finding prime coaching talents and leaving them alone.

The Knicks have traveled a different road, as gravel turns to dirt turns to a hazily indistinct foot path. In his rookie year, Porzingis was coached by Derek Fisher, who knew not so much about coaching and used a day off to travel to a party in Los Angeles, where he rumbled with his girlfriend?s ex-boyfriend. The Knicks fired Fisher and replaced him with Kurt Rambis, whose next success as a pro coach will be his first. He insisted that more or less everything Fisher had told Porzingis was wrong and that the Latvian should play closer to the basket.

Rambis was 9-19 in a mercifully abbreviated tenure. Jackson next brought in Hornacek, in whom some hoops aficionados claimed to divine an inspired offensive coach. You wait, those aficionados said, bye-bye triangle offense, Jeff is going modern N.B.A. offense.

This did not happen. Porzingis blew out his knee this season, and Hornacek coached out the remaining months as a Dead Coach Walking. The Knicks, in instinctively classy fashion, fired him in a rent-a-conference-room at Westchester County Airport at 2 a.m., just after the Knicks returned from their season finale in Cleveland.

Enter the Dragon.

James L. Dolan, the Knicks owner, has presided as the Grandmaster of Chaos that has been the Knicks for two decades now. Of late, the past few years, he made a show of proclaiming that he would lift his heavy hand, hire good people and let them do good things and all that.

Bravo, but not really. Less than a week after his managers tossed aside Hornacek, who, to his credit, mumbled nothing but pleasantries, Dolan talked to a New York Post writer and slipped a shiv in the ribs of the recently departed.

?I think Hornacek had the same kind of issue that Phil did in that he didn?t grasp how different the players are now in the way they think and deal with management and the coaches,? Dolan said. ?I think he was way behind on that.?

Speaking of ?way behind on that,? Dolan handed out $65 million in contracts to Jackson and Hornacek, a fact for which their wealth management teams are deeply grateful.

Even in the rubble of the Knicks, there are building materials to be found. The rookie point guard, the smooth-faced teenager Frank Ntilikina, showed flashes here and there of the instincts needed to guide a team, and he played surprisingly sturdy defense. Trey Burke, a midseason refuse heap find, looked as if he was capable of playing explosive minutes off the bench. They will have a lottery pick in the coming N.B.A. draft.

And there is Porzingis, who, inshallah, will return healthy at some point next season and resume his upward arc. Fizdale has talked of traveling to Europe to establish a relationship with the man who more than anyone else will determine his fate as coach of the Knicks.

As I?ve spent an unfortunate number of decades following this franchise, and my sons have obtained no return on years of passionate rooting, I wish Fizdale nothing but the best, just as I wish the Knicks? management team nothing but patience with its new coach.

In that regard, a word about the unsettling rumors that the Knicks? management harbors a daydream of trading on Fizdale?s Miami-born friendliness with James and attracting the great one to New York City this summer. This is like panning for gold in Central Park.

You can knock yourself out shaking that pan; ain?t nothing there but fool?s gold.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.nytimes.com/2018/05/04/sports/david-fizdale-knicks.amp.html

tiger0330

Legend
^^^^ lol. The guy is rightfully skeptical, how did PJ talk Dolan into that lucrative 5 yr deal by telling him, from where I stand your team is such a train wreck I am going to need 5 years to build it from the ground up, that was March 2014. In Mar 2019 5 years after they hired Jackson my bet is Mills will be talking about being 1 year into a 5 year plan to turn around the franchise. We need to draft a kid that turns into DM next season or Ntilikina suddenly lights up the league or hopefully both for me to see some hope for this team.

Keith Smart likely to join Fizdale as an Assistant Coach, just like in Memphis. I haven?t thought about Keith Smart since he hit the game winner for Indiana to beat Syracuse in the NCAA finals over 30 years ago.

mafra

Legend
Baseline SWISH. Wasn?t Ronnie Sykly on that tSyracuse eam? Sherman Douglas and Coleman?

I went to camp there that next summer and Billy Owens came back to my dorm and traded me Syracuse gear for some tapes I had.

Baseline SWISH. Wasn?t Ronnie Sykly on that tSyracuse eam? Sherman Douglas and Coleman?

I went to camp there that next summer and Billy Owens came back to my dorm and traded me Syracuse gear for some tapes I had.

Yeah, that sounds right about the roster that season. That?s a neat story about Owens. I used to love watching Syracuse.

mafra

Legend
Owens got ?paid? as a student athlete... his job? Turn a/c on and off at the Carrier dome. But he was a really cool cat with us 8th grade wannabe ballers

tiger0330

Legend
Keith Smart likely to join Fizdale as an Assistant Coach, just like in Memphis. I haven’t thought about Keith Smart since he hit the game winner for Indiana to beat Syracuse in the NCAA finals over 30 years ago.
Smart has been an assistant and interim head coach in the NBA for a while now. Hiring him means Woody is probably not coming, Smart will be that old head that Fiz will trust as his lead assistant. I'd like to see Fiz hire Juwan Howard as one of his guys also.

tiger0330

Legend
Baseline SWISH. Wasn’t Ronnie Sykly on that tSyracuse eam? Sherman Douglas and Coleman?

Cool story. Ever play college ball at any level Mafra.

Kiyaman

Legend
Will James Dolan let coach Fizdale play the 10 yr veteran Joakim Noah next season ???
Why is Fizdale off to Europe to see a Knicks player that wont play next season?
Why isn't Fizdale interviewing the Knicks 10 players under contract next season, especially the 3 players having options in the off-season?
Does Fizdale have any say in the up-coming Knicks draft picks? or the offseason Knicks trades?

I'm sure every top name head coach that interviewed for the Knicks head coaching job first wanted to know if Noah will be healthy to play next season. Why? Because Noah's strong leadership and high b.ball IQ are equal to Boston's C/F Horford at playing Center and the PF spot.

mafra

Legend
I think they opted for Fiz over Bud bc of age... Knicks tired of going to the 50-60 year-old... I think Mark Jax was just too far removed away from coaching and his rigid style might not have worked well with Dolan?s paranoid atmosphere.

Fiz is the best option to relate to players. We shall see if this is a wise move.

tiger0330

Legend
I think they opted for Fiz over Bud bc of age... Knicks tired of going to the 50-60 year-old... I think Mark Jax was just too far removed away from coaching and his rigid style might not have worked well with Dolan’s paranoid atmosphere.

Fiz is the best option to relate to players. We shall see if this is a wise move.
I read this Post article about him and guys that worked with him say he's some kind of savant that has a photographic memory of bball plays among other positive qualities they talked about. Spoelstra also called him brilliant. I don't think I've heard this kind of hype for any of our coaches in the past, let's see if he can live up to the hype but I like what I'm hearing about our new coach.

Kiyaman

Legend
I read this Post article about him and guys that worked with him say he's some kind of savant that has a photographic memory of bball plays among other positive qualities they talked about. Spoelstra also called him brilliant. I don't think I've heard this kind of hype for any of our coaches in the past, let's see if he can live up to the hype but I like what I'm hearing about our new coach.

Remember i told u dont believe the HYPE we and the media were putting out on the Knicks future KP during rookie season .. when it comes to Fizdal the best hype to gossip bout are the many reason why Fizdale got fired in Memphis after 19 games this past season .. https://basketball.realgm.com/wiret...To-Marc-Gasol-You-Want-Popovich-I-Want-LeBron

Broadway

All Star
Fizdale had plenty to say at his introductory presser today(moments ago) but this stands out to me

He also said he wants #kporzee to not be limited in how he uses him. Wants to experiment playing him at the 4 and 5 alternatively. Welp #kporzee time for you to toughen up and be a Big Boy

Fizdale was impressive. He has a vision for this team. As you would expect from someone from the extended Pat Riley coaching tree, Fizdale is going to ask a lot from our roster and if they don?t rise to the occasion, they?re likely going to not play and be shipped out.