2018 NBA Lottery Thread and Knicks Fan Prayer Circle

Time for my annual thread of disappointment and sadness as we all get ready to watch ESPN televise at 7:30PM tonight (Tuesday, May 15th) the lottery for determining the picks for the 2018 NBA draft.

C'mon Knicks fans, let's once again all hold hands in a circle tonight and pray for rare good lottery fortune.

As posted in other threads, our chances are slim tonight. We have only a 1.7 percent chance of the #1 overall pick and a 6.1 percent chance of a top 3 pick.

In all likelihood, we are staying at the #9 pick. Maybe the more important thing is to root against the teams currently seeded 10 through 14 to not get their own miracle and move up ahead of us and push us down to #10.

Things that will get decided tonight:

- The pick currently seeded at #10: If it moves up to the 2nd through 5th pick, then the Celtics get it. If it moves up to the 1st pick or stays worse than the 5th pick, then the Sixers get it. Regardless of what happens, a team rich with young talent will get richer.

- The pick currently seeded at #12: If this pick moves up to 1st through 4th, then the Pistons keep it. If this pick stays outside the top 4, then it belongs to the Clippers who also already own the pick currently seeded at #13.

tiger0330

Legend
Things that will get decided tonight:

- The pick currently seeded at #10: If it moves up to the 2nd through 5th pick, then the Celtics get it. If it moves up to the 1st pick or stays worse than the 5th pick, then the Sixers get it. Regardless of what happens, a team rich with young talent will get richer.

- The pick currently seeded at #12: If this pick moves up to 1st through 4th, then the Pistons keep it. If this pick stays outside the top 4, then it belongs to the Clippers who also already own the pick currently seeded at #13.
Thanks for this htr10, wasn't aware of the protection on this pick. In general the higher you pick the better off a team is but not always, picking 4th to get Porzingis enabled us to avoid Okafor and Russell and we picked badly not selecting Mitchell but could have had him at eight. I'm hoping Bridges of Villanova is still there at 9, hits all the check marks for me, 52% shooter, 41% from 3, rated the best player in the big east, an A defender with the body type to match and a junior coming out of college instead of a one and done freshman. Trae Young intrigues me but I'd avoid him despite his high upside, if Porter falls to 9 no choice but to take him despite lack of experience and that back injury, Knox and Miles Bridges solid picks but I don't see a star in either. Mikhal Bridges might not become a star either but I think he'll be a capable starter ala Otto Porter.

mafra

Legend
Crazy to think NY has never moved up in lottery since it?s inception, when Ewing landed in our laps. Odd... we are due.... SAC went from 8 to 3 last year... if we do move up, looks like the Euro Doncic is the target.

tiger0330

Legend
Hard to believe in 14 lottery selections the Knicks have never moved up. Perry only moved up once with SAC in his time with teams so he's no rabbits foot but for some reason I feel it, maybe not top 3 but a couple of spots, we move up tonight.

Hard to believe in 14 lottery selections the Knicks have never moved up. Perry only moved up once with SAC in his time with teams so he's no rabbits foot but for some reason I feel it, maybe not top 3 but a couple of spots, we move up tonight.

If our ping pong ball doesn?t get picked for top 3, then we end up with the 9th pick or worse (if a team 10 through 14 gets their ping pong ball picked for top 3).

The woman from ESPN interviewing Ayton is literally reading questions off a sheet of paper. What the hell.

The draft is being held here at the Palmer House Hilton. I?m ok if we don?t move up and Colin Sexton is waiting there

Doesn?t mean much this early, but Jay Bilas has Mikal Bridges and Sexton going 7th and 8th with Porter falling to 9th. That would be an interesting turn of events for us at 9.

ESPN thinks our needs are center and small forward. I kind of agree, but Perry is saying we are going to take best player available, which certainly leaves the door open for taking Sexton or Trae Burke if he falls.

Broadway

All Star
I do feel a little better than in yrs past there's a chance we could move up but...

We more than likely won't move up at all tonight. Wish we could get as high as 3, I really want Doncic. I'm not real enamored with any of the usual suspects inside the lottery with exception to Ayton and Young in terms of who may have star power. I think the other players will have good careers but could be interchangeable in most cases. I am higher on sleepers possibly outside the lottery later in the draft

Broadway

All Star
As there should be but I do not like the gambling dynamic...it's going to be very sketchy and I suspect crime to spike because of it

Adam Silver saying that likely more changes are coming to de-incentivize tanking in future seasons.

I would loathe the Cavs moving up this year, but it?s hard to root against a team being represented by a guy who has had major brain surgery.

Actress Jami Gertz representing the Hawks. Has to be the most attractive representative in NBA draft lottery history.