The Flip Saunders Possibility

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, we all read the news articles, Flip Saunders was replaced by McHale this Saturday, and a possibility for him to become the Knicks' new head-coach is vehiculated in the media. Stephon Marbury also smiled to the idea, who had a good time with him while he was playing for Minnesota.

On the other hand, Herb Williams seems like he finally started something. The Knicks aren't losing by more then 5-6 points and sometimes are even winning. I guess it's fun again to watch them.

So, what are your oppinions? Do we take a shot at Flip, do we wait for Phil Jackson or we stick with Herb?

Links to some articles:

02/15
http://www.knicksonline.com/getart.php?id=2433
http://www.knicksonline.com/getart.php?id=2435
http://www.knicksonline.com/getart.php?id=2437

02/14
http://www.knicksonline.com/getart.php?id=2421
http://www.knicksonline.com/getart.php?id=2425
http://www.knicksonline.com/getart.php?id=2428

DownUnderKnick3

Benchwarmer
I'd like to see the Knicks pursue Flip but i'd much rather them wait til the offseason when they are a 100% sure of the intentions of Phil and Larry.

dacash

Benchwarmer
everybody talks of phil jackson but honestly does anybody think he can build a team he has never had to. he has always had dominant players in thier prime now we wanna give him a messed up knicks squad and expect him to win? i honestly feel a flip saunders would be better or a paul silas they are teachers of da game and our crew which looks to get younger could benefit from them.also gary payton the best scoring point gaurdcouldnt grasp the triangle offense,not because he stupid but because its not his strength.jackson wont use marbury to his strength just try and change him to fit his mold.saunders understands marbury and i feel will make him a better player not try to push the team into a scheme. get saunders not jackson,and remember this is just an opionion.

Mousquetaire2

Benchwarmer
Flip is a great coach. Steph likes him, unless, with him they won't be any relationship problem between him and steph. Phil is also a great great coach, but imagine steph doesn't fit in the triangle and let him know...that could create some problem.

H20 OFFdaHizZLe

Benchwarmer
we dont need phil jackson, we dont need lenny wilkens, we dont need flip saunders, we dont need isiah thomas, we dont need don chaney, we dont need doc rivers, we dont need pat railey, wanna know who we need????

give it up for ~~~JEFF VAN GUNDY!!!!!!!

NYKnicks15

Starter
Yes Jeff Van Gundy was good for us, actually great. We had a 248-172 with him as coach. hes the Knicks third most winning coach of all time. With him as coach we made it past the first round of the playoffs 5 times...

I loved Jeff as our coach. BUT would I want him back? would he be accepted back by the Knicks fans? would Jim Dolan let him come back? probably not....For some one who became our coach when the head coach of the team stepped down (Don Nelson),,,you would think hed (Van Gundy) be the last person to just get up and leave during a season, but he did. Jeff left us after 19 games. a 10-9 start in 02-03....this is the nba and anything can happen BUT i think we either NEED Larry Brown, or NEED Phil Jackson or NEED Flip Saunders.

Larry is just a proven coach, hes friends with Isiah and has worked with Steph before and if given is pink slip in Detroit its a major possibilty for him to coach in NY or flat out retire

Phil is a proven coach and thats all. people say "oh well he was given all his players and a ring handed to him" and that is true. but how many times do we have to hear it? we all know that hes walked into two great situations (Chicago and LA) but until given the chance in a place like in the Knicks franchise well never know other wise. Would his triangle work with Steph & Craw? possibly its all on Steph and how he takes listening to his coach. accepting a lesser role for the benefit of his team (which hasnt proved well in the past ex. Minnesota)...but maybe he has matured...back to Phil hed be a hell of a coach to give a chance to.

Flip, hes also a good coach. isnt it nice when people specially someone of these guys caliber want to come to NY? :) anyway...hes worked with steph before but would Flip want to work with him again? Remember steph is the person who demanded a trade out of MN because he didnt want to play second tier to anyone (Garnett)..and im going to go out on a limb and say if Steph accepted his role in MN and did his part, and had waited a good year or two when they picked up a decent SG or SF...they would have won a championship....BUT here in NY unless Isiah does some wheeling and dealing some razzle dazzle (courtsey of Fraz haha) this offseason and gets a great C or PF. i dont believe the knicks with the reuniting Flip and Marbury have a good chance of doing that.

DECISIONS....
LARRY BROWN-Even tho hes familiar with steph and a good coach..We have to face it Larry is getting old and sure hed be good for a year or two but eventually he is going to be past his time. hes going to step down and then once again well be left with no coach. and we will kick our self in the a**es for not choosing flip or phil. Decison? No

PHIL JACKSON-This is a hard one. do we take a chance on phil jackson and i know thats rough to say seeing hes one 9 rings BUT in this situation do we take the chance? he hasnt coached a rebuilding team EVER and the only reason to take this job is (A) to attempt to prove the people wrong (B) to win number 10 as a coach (C) to have coached every big market team into a championship....We pay Phil a lot of money, we set up the Triangle offense and then what? i dont think Phil legitamely wants to come here no matter what the rumors say until he sees the roster changes if any are made this offseason. the possiblities of players wanting to come to NY to play for him our better for us to get people via demanding a trade lol...would we want to take that chance to become his own personal guinea pig that we know as the knicks? Decision? Yes

FLIP SAUNDERS-Hes familiar with Steph. and theyll have chemistry. Hell let steph be steph but is that a good thing? hes a good coach and has proven to coach the pick and roll with steph. and as of right now that is all we have....then there is the LITTLE off chance that Garnett would want to play for his "old" coach and demand a trade to NY. heres the little chance (A) Garnett wants a ring (B) He loved to play for Flip (C) if he demands a trade MN would give it to him, they are rebuilding they want a different direction AND i believe after the 10 years Garnett put in for them and the "little" pay he has took to stay there theyll respect him and give him that......the only thing against that is (A) Garnett is not the type to demand a trade (B) Not sure if hed want to play with Steph (even tho he has matured) (C) Would MN accept the trade of more than likely Tim and Kurt Thomas for him?.....anyway Decision? Yes

For me its Phil Jackson or Flip Saunders. if your a Steph fan you'd go for Saunders. if your a ring fan youd go for Jackson :lol: haha