Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011

Quote Originally Posted by tiger0330 View Post
    After Stat, McDyess, Houston no thanks to Jabari Parker esp if its for 146M. Parker ain't getting anywhere near that amount, Bucks might not even match a 4yr 80M deal if some team offers it to him. More likely the market is cold for him this off-season and he plays for the qualifying offer from the Bucks and becomes an unrestricted FA next season.
    Ideally Parker doesn't get a max contract and based on his injury history and lack of cap space around the league I think an $80 million 4 year deal is a possibility. At that price point I would take a risk because I can see him being at least a Rudy Gay caliber player in this league. Rudy Gay averaged 17.9 per game for Memphis, 19.5 for Toronto, and 19.3 for Sacramento. If we got that level of production from Jabari Parker we would have two scorers in him and Hardaway to pair with KP. This is even ignoring the possibility that Kevin Knox can develop into a scorer. Essentially we need to be in talent acquisition mode and Parker is well worth rolling the dice on, much like Julius Randle would be worth taking a risk on.

The way I see it is we have three paths open to us:

1. Build through the draft: This option involves ignoring free agency and trades, instead we build around in house young talent. We tank next season for a high pick and potentially add another lottery pick the following year. Thus we round out a Frank, Knox, KP, 2019 and 2020 draft picks.

2. Take a risk on free agency:
    This could mean going for an RFA like Parker or Randle, or waiting until 2019 to go after Kyrie and Kawhi, or 2020 for Klay. Essentially our hopes are pinned around landing a franchise changing talent (or two) to pair with KP, Knox and Frank.

3. Take a risk on a trade: Now this path can involve trading for a potential franchise changing player (e.g. somehow finding a way to get Kawhi) or doing a sign-and-trade for an RFA like Parker or Randle.

The problem with all three paths is they are all risky and have no guarantee of success. We could try to stick with drafting players but we could miss on franchise changing talent. If we try the free agent route they might prefer to go elsewhere, the Mavericks are a prime example of continuing to miss out on top free agents since their title win in 2011. And trades might result in that player leaving or not getting it done. But the flip side of each route is maybe we do land franchise changing talent through the draft, or maybe that free agent or traded player gets it done. You don't get anywhere in life without taking a risk or two at some point and at this juncture we need to be open minded to going down any of these routes.

Which would I gamble on? Well, I'd probably take a risk on Parker or Randle as long as they were not max level deals because they can slot in with KP, Knox and Frank as our young core to build around. Add the 2019 draft pick and we can roll out a young ascending line up in the 2019-2020 season aiming for the play offs. I'd love Kyrie or Kawhi, but I am not convinced we are a free agent haven as much as we'd like to think we are one, and if we swing and miss we'll end up stuck like the Mavericks have been since 2011 which is no good for anyone, and that could see KP leave because he might not be as loyal as Dirk has been to the Mavericks.

I agree. Weíve attempted the trade / free agent route since 2000 and have produced nothing but an awful 17-yr run of futility. 1 good season in 17 years.

We had a chance to use the 9th pick to accumulate assets for a future trade, but we drafted Knox (instead of trading 9 for 16 and a future, unprotected 1st).

We arenít tanking next season... but we are going the smart route. Is this because we donít have cap space? We shall see, but Iíll be pissed if we use our MLE and something else and brought in a Beasley type and something else... Iíll also be pissed if Lee gets a ton of minutes.

We are so close... We drafted 3 lottery prospects in the span of 4 years.. Now, while we may not be rich in terms of evident talent... thereís enough hope to believe in buying the future of all 3 picks... if we stick to our guns and play the kids... We guarantee another top lottery pick while we develop the kids.

We could be sitting here next year with KP showing heís healthy again, the third pick in the draft, with Knits and Knox and possibly another young asset or 2 to boast of (Mitchell Robinson, Mudiay, Burke perhaps).

Then, all it takes is 1 free agent or shrewd trade... and NY is back. And, once we are back, as with any good team, the free agents will flock.

So, while adding Parker or Randle may jeopardize our draft position... NY can be stagnant and wish for future free agents.

If we gamble on Parker for 4/80... or Randle... and they show something... that goes a long way to recruit free agent next summer anyway.

Look at Livingston in GSW. Heís a key cog in their rotation... heís another top young talent written off bc of a knee injury.

Doesnít hurt Parker is a Duke guy too.

Anyway, I think NYís main focus should be to shed contracts of Lee, LT, and Noah... Lee especially. Perry has to find a taker... Most teams are able to dump these types... letís see if Perry can earn his keep and do this.

If we can shed LT and Lee from our 2019 book... why not bring in Parker... even if just a straight up swap for 20 mil in 2019 (in that 2 for 1)...

12th man

If it was me I'd burn all my dough on lottery tickets for young guns like Kornet, Hicks, Robinson etc. like Perry is doing. Try to find a couple of gems among them, kind of like panning for gold, look in the right places and screen enough players you're likely to find someone. Perry is taking that approach it seems with Kornet and Robinson, Kornet was yesterday's flavor of the day and Robinson today's.

Talking about FA this year is a waste of time in light of what Perry said about the Knicks not being active this season, I think he'll hold to that even if Kanter opts out creating some cap space. As far as Parker, my guess is teams will pass on him until he shows he can stay on the floor for a full season, he's still a step slow defensively also. I'd wait to see if he gets that back before committing 80M to the guy, I'd rather throw 60M to Will Barton instead of Jabari.

I probably wouldnít feel comfortable giving Parker anything more than 2/40... player option year 2.

But, Parker is a lottery ticket.... Barton is 4 years older and is more of Lee redux. Heís the type you get when youíre Indiana or something and have a good team already.

Parker is the type you roll dice on if price is right. Only reason NYK would have a shot is bc of his red flags. Most likely, heís the type where in 2 years heíll recover enough to be a useful guy. Thatís it.

I wouldnít go crazy to get him but if I could trade Kanter and Lee or LT and Lee for him, I do it in a heartbeat... but only if he accepts his QO, bc I wouldnít feel Good giving him a large commitment.

Point is, while we look to deal useful parts... the thinking should be to collect young assets (picks or players).

Again, the most important mission for the next 12 months is to get out under of 3 contracts: Lee, Noah, LT.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost....xt-durant/amp/

Good article on Knox and why we drafted him.

12th man

Quote Originally Posted by mafra View Post
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost....xt-durant/amp/

Good article on Knox and why we drafted him.

Mafra .. nice piece on Knox .. I'm looking forward to the 18 yr old Knox manning both forward spot-positions in his rookie season (more like Kuzma), plus i hope the Knicks new (so-called) developing coaching-staff let both veterans Kanter n Noah mentor Knox in the front-line rotation throughout the 2018-19 season.
    I don't see Kanter opting-out of this season contract (18M) !!!
    I'm hoping coach Fiz make Noah the 7th Man off the bench next season ..
    I'm hoping to see a 2-Way 4th quarter lineup of "Noah/Knox/Williams/Knits/Burke" to be our crunch-time lineup.
    I'm hoping Kanter / Timmy /and Mudiay start next season having a decent offensive-chemistry in their lineup together.
    I'm looking forward to Dotson n Baker n rookie Robinson to have a break-out mid-season performance.

A injury-prone Parker on the Knicks would look real bad having Knick fans expecting a injury every time Parker suit up.
    Randal has become a decent 25 minute backup PF a team could use for bench depth n energy.
    Jerami Grant has become a decent 2-Way SF that's hungry for a starter position.
    Or we could resign Beasley, but this season we put Beasley as our starter SF.

The Knicks poor coaching-staff n clueless head coach rotation the past 5 seasons are responsible for 65% of the Knick 30 win seasons.
    If the Knicks tank next season to become a top-10 lottery pick team for the 2019 draft .. then Fiz and the entire coaching-staff need to be FIRED asap before the June 2019 draft night !!!