2018 NBA Draft Night Thread - ESPN 7PM Thursday June 21

mafra

Legend
Zhaire Smith was selected with Phoenix's 16th selection in the draft, but he was traded to Philadelphia for Mikal Bridges and a first-round pick.

tiger0330

Legend
Wow, Mikhal dealt to PHO. So much for mom-son combo. I don’t feel as bad now taking Knox over Bridges. Philly got a first and Smith...

Wait... shouldn’t we have drafted Mikhal and dealt him for 16 and a future pick? Again, this is why our org sucks.
I thought I heard 2 seconds but a 1st makes more sense. Probably a last minute offer by the Suns, they can use Mikal's D.

Broadway

All Star
Zhaire Smith was selected with Phoenix's 16th selection in the draft, but he was traded to Philadelphia for Mikal Bridges and a first-round pick.

Crazy thing is Smith was rumored as a Sixers target so why didn?t they just flat out draft him at 10?

What was the trade again?

mafra

Legend
Sixers got an extra first by drafting Bridges and shipping him out West. Probably did it thinking if Smith wasn?t there for PHo they would just keep MB.

tiger0330

Legend
Crazy thing is Smith was rumored as a Sixers target so why didn’t they just flat out draft him at 10?
By
What was the trade again?
Pretty sure we find out what happened because Mikal would have been a highly popular choice but my guess is the Sixers got a call from the Suns after they selected him and they made an offer the Sixers couldn't refuse. Sixers got another first out of it next year.

With the 36th pick, the Knicks select Mitchell Robinson. He is a center with a huge wingspan and I can tell you literally nothing else about him.

Mitchell Robinson is a bizarre case it seems. Sat out the last year. ESPN coverage saying he could be a Clint Capela-type for us. Rim protector and lob finisher. Sure. Interested to see him in the Summer League.

mafra

Legend
Doesn?t seem like there?s a huge gulf between Bamba and Mitchell. For the 36th pick... pretty sweet.

I was hoping for Spellman or Brunson or Frazier... but we needed a C. If Fizdale can reach this kid... we could have something.

https://247sports.com/Season/2017-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=highschool

This time last year Mitchell was ranked 9th in his HS class. Ahead of Knox and Trae Young and SGA and Lonnie Walker.

tiger0330

Legend
Mitchell Robinson is a bizarre case it seems. Sat out the last year. ESPN coverage saying he could be a Clint Capela-type for us. Rim protector and lob finisher. Sure. Interested to see him in the Summer League.
I don't see how you get a handle on a guy when he doesn't play competitive bball. Fans cheered when usually they boo when he was selected, must be a reason for itit, going to have to check him out.

mafra

Legend
Mitchell Robinson - C - Knicks

The Knicks picked Mitchell Robinson with the 36th pick in the NBA Draft.

All about the upside here. After being considered as a top-10 high school prospect, Robinson didn?t play at all at Western Kentucky due to a suspension for violating team rules. Robinson then opted to forego his time at college instead of transferring to another school. Obviously, he has some off-court issues for missing flights, not showing up for the combine, and not having a productive pre-draft process with things like a canceled workout with the Nuggets. Robinson has major potential as a rim protector and he showed out against guys like DeAndre Ayton in his pre-NCAA events. He is 7?1" with a 7?4" wingspan, so maybe he can get it together now that he?s a pro.

(Rotoworld)

https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2018/6/21/17488106/nba-draft-2018-new-york-knicks-mitchell-robinson-36-pick

?Per DraftExpress, Robinson set a EYBL record for most rebounds per 40 minutes (20!) and most offensive rebounds per 40 (8) in that league last year. That would seem like a perfect complementary skill to pair with Kristaps Porzingis down low.?

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
I don't mind the Robinson pick(won't expect much from him early on) but I do find it ironic the Pistons offered Philly 2 2nd rd picks for a guy I said we should've had on our radar in Kyrhi Thomas(selected 38th)

I literally would've walked away from this draft with multiple assets, this draft was a rebuilding GMs dream

Broadway

All Star
Mitchell not being able to recover from a sprained ankle over 2weeks to participate in workouts leading up to draft night wasn't necessarily a positive trait, but oh well

tiger0330

Legend
Saw the kid on Youtube for the first time. Very tall at 7'1" but mobile with a good handle for a big guy, ability to finish at the rim and rim protection is a given for a 7 footer and he's got range out to the 3 or line. Like Mafra said a projected first rounder that drops to the second because he opted not to play in college so he may be the optimal value pick. Have to wonder about how he handled not going to college or to a pro league to make some money and keep his game tuned up. Not sure if he bulked up in supposedly training for this draft but he needed it.