HOLY-COW- 'Me-Lo' is opting in for his final year

paris401

Starter
haha... the thunder are ... f...'d.... he was a low-life here, and he's just as low in okc... may they bury him at the end of the bench, and that he never see's a min of playin time...

Yeah, Melo isn?t stupid. No way was he going to walk away from 27.9 million for next season. There was going to be virtually no market for him in free agency.

Melo is 34-years-old and averaged 16 points per game on 40% FG shooting this last season, both his worst numbers of his NBA career. We all know about his defensive limitations.

OKC had to know this was coming and it is a killer for them. PG13 I think is definitely leaving in free agency because why stay another season with OKC when they are not going to be able to compete with GS and Houston in the postseason.

Remember all that talk about ?hoodie Melo? a year ago? I think it?s one last season of getting paid for him and then hang it up.

It?s sad. I really think Sam Presti did a fantastic job building that team last offseason with the deals he swung. Not sure where he goes from here. Maybe he can figure something out.

mafra

Legend
"I think for me, my focus would be on kind of figuring out what I want out of the rest of my career, what I want in my future, what am I willing to accept, if I'm willing to accept that at all," Anthony said following the season. "I think everybody knows that I've sacrificed kind of damned near everything, family, moving here by myself, sacrificed my game for the sake of the team, and was willing to sacrifice anything and everything in order for this situation to work out. So it's something I really have to think about, if I really want to be this type of player, finish out my career as this type of player, knowing that I have so much left in the tank and I bring so much to the game of basketball."

Broadway

All Star
Yeah, Melo isn’t stupid. No way was he going to walk away from 27.9 million for next season. There was going to be virtually no market for him in free agency.

Melo is 34-years-old and averaged 16 points per game on 40% FG shooting this last season, both his worst numbers of his NBA career. We all know about his defensive limitations.

OKC had to know this was coming and it is a killer for them. PG13 I think is definitely leaving in free agency because why stay another season with OKC when they are not going to be able to compete with GS and Houston in the postseason.

Remember all that talk about “hoodie Melo” a year ago? I think it’s one last season of getting paid for him and then hang it up.

Marc Stein reported PG13 is more than likely staying in OKC. What the Thunder will probably do is run by a clear role to Lard Face, if he doesn't accept it...they'll look to trade him and if they can't they'll buy him out

Mike1989

Rookie
Correct me if I'm wrong but OKC own Paul George's bird rights after the trade so they can offer him more money and a longer deal than any other team without needing to worry about the cap?

So it doesn't matter that Melo opted in because they can extend Paul George and go over the cap. Okay Melo didn't have an amazing season last year but he went from a clear cut first option to OKC's third option, something he's never been in his entire NBA career. Maybe he'll be better next year after adjusting to their system and their requirements? Or perhaps he'll accept being the best paid sixth man in the league coming off the bench to do what he does best with their second unit? Time will tell but I'd say they have no reason to move him unless they have a Charlotte Hornets Dwight Howard situation on their hands (i.e. no one likes Melo in OKC and want him out).

Their roster stands to be:

Westbrook / Devon Hall (draft pick) / ?
Roberson / Ferguson / Hamidou Diallo (draft pick)
PG13 / Albrines / Singler
Melo / Patterson / Kevin Hervey (draft pick)
Adams / Johnson / ?

They'll likely want to add a veteran back up point guard, last year they had Raymond Felton and they could bring him back cheap; and they might want to add a veteran front court option, and there should be options available on the cheap.

This is before considering them potentially putting together a trade package revolving around someone like Ferguson and Albrines for a veteran upgrade for their second unit, or a 3-and-D starting small forward so they can move Melo to the bench and use him as a sixth man.

For me OKC seem well set if they bring back PG.