2018 NBA Free Agency

The NBA free agency period is coming up in less than a week. Likely once again going to be some big shifts in the NBA in attempt to respond to the Golden State Warriors dominating in the NBA finals. Headline stories will mainly revolve around Lebron, but also other stars like PG13.

As far as the Knicks, I hope we do literally nothing except minimum deals to fill out the roster for 1 season. I hope Kanter opts in so that we can?t even be tempted to make a stupid signing. I think we all remember where we were when we heard about the THJ deal last offseason.

As far as Kanter, sounds like a few teams have shown interest in him if he chooses to opt out. The NBA big man market is fairly broken, so I do wonder if Kanter could get a multi year deal at a similar salary as to what he would get opting in for 1 more year with the Knicks. The risk for Kanter opting in for this season is that he might find himself not getting many minutes as the season goes along if we are really going to show commitment to a youth movement and the tank.

pat

Starter
As far as Kanter, sounds like a few teams have shown interest in him if he chooses to opt out. The NBA big man market is fairly broken, so I do wonder if Kanter could get a multi year deal at a similar salary as to what he would get opting in for 1 more year with the Knicks. The risk for Kanter opting in for this season is that he might find himself not getting many minutes as the season goes along if we are really going to show commitment to a youth movement and the tank.

I'm not a big fan of letting him walk. Yes, he is limited defensively, but he is a crafty guy plus he is the type of character you'd need around a young team. Heck, he played on pain killers while he could only walk on crutches. There is more to player than filling the stat sheet.

tiger0330

Legend
I'm not a big fan of letting him walk. Yes, he is limited defensively, but he is a crafty guy plus he is the type of character you'd need around a young team. Heck, he played on pain killers while he could only walk on crutches. There is more to player than filling the stat sheet.
I remember that, guy came to the game on crutches yet played that night, the team couldn't believe it. He's also top 20 in PER despite being a throwback center. MIL is supposedly interested and he's better than Henson but they have to clear cap space to get him and remembering Greg Monroe was a bust being a low post center there I don't think it's going to happen.

paris401

Starter
The risk for Kanter opting in for this season is that he might find himself not getting many minutes as the season goes along if we are really going to show commitment to a youth movement and the tank.

i don't think we have to worry about tanking...

mafra

Legend
Joakim Noah has impressed one former teammate this offseason.

?I just worked out with Jo, actually a couple of days ago. Jo is doing great,? Corey Brewer, who won two national titles with Noah at the University of Florida, told Kevin Brockway of GatorSports.com at Brewer?s annual youth summer camp at Santa Fe College in Gainesville, Fla. ?You know it was a tough situation for him in New York. I think he?s going to be better. He had a year just to prepare, get his mind right, get his body right. I think he?s going to surprise a lot of people when he comes back this year. He?s going to be a lot better.?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost...ign-joakim-noah-will-be-ready-for-knicks/amp/

Knitiklina/Mudiay/Burke/Baker
Timmy/Lee/Dotson/Trier
Knox/LT/Willams
Kanter/Hicks/Kornet
Noah/Robinson

Here?s 16 right here. No room for any free agents. Watch Noah-Lee-Kanter, aided by an improved Mudiay & Knits, a fab fresh, and rekindled Timmy, a 6th man in Burke... get off to a 17-20 start... enticing KP to get back in the court.

mafra

Legend
Everybody knows he?s going to LA. He?ll use Gilbert?s affiliation with Trump as his excuse for leaving CLE again.... paint himself as a political hero or something.

tiger0330

Legend
Everybody knows he’s going to LA. He’ll use Gilbert’s affiliation with Trump as his excuse for leaving CLE again.... paint himself as a political hero or something.
I'd still like to see him go to HOU. Lebron, CP3, Harden that team would destroy the Warriors. Lebron to LA, PG to follow, who else?

mafra

Legend
PG looks like he?ll stay in OKC. I can?t imagine SA gives KL to LA... so... do they sign Cousins and trade for Kemba? Tough call.

HOU doesn?t have the money to pay LJ. Sounds like a rift developing between CP3 and ownership... maybe he skips to LA?

Knixy

Benchwarmer
Let Kanter, O'Quinn and Beasley walk. Give those minutes to Kornet, Hicks and Knox and embrace the tank.

mafra

Legend
Kanter leaning towards opting in....

PG to opt out....

Kings may pursue Zach Lavine...

Indy might pursue Aaron Gordon...

Stephen A Smith says LJ trying to lure KD to LAK. They?re texting. Supposed rift between KD and Curry/Kerr/Owner...

According to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski, the Spurs are fully engaged in trade talks with several teams on Kawhi Leonard.

Wojnarowski mentioned the Celtics and Lakers, but not the 76ers. The Lakers have been the most aggressive, but "Boston has long had the assets that the Spurs most covet in a potential Leonard trade." However, it's been reported that the Celtics are unwilling to include Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown in talks, so that could be a major roadblock. The Spurs have been patient up to this point, but Marc Stein of the New York Times is reporting that the Spurs are ready to move on.

According to Brian Lewis of the New York Post, the Nets are "definitely" interested in Mario Hezonja.

Once the Nets finalize the buyout of Dwight Howard, they'll likely have around $12 million to spend. The Nets may not pursue any big names like Aaron Gordon, as Brooklyn isn't planning to make a big splash until 2019 when they will have the cap space to sign two max contracts. Brooklyn has been interested in Hezonja for a while and obviously aren't afraid of the "reclamation-project," Lewis adds. The 23-year-old wing finally started to show some promise last season, averaging 9.6 points, 3.7 rebounds, 1.4 assists, 1.1 steals and 1.2 treys.

mafra

Legend
S-Bondy in NY Daily News on free agent options, if Kanter opts in:

Here are some options:
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope (Lakers), 25, SG, 13.4 ppg, 5.2 rpg: Solid 3-and-D role player who?d fit into New York?s philosophy of increasing athleticism.
Alex Len (Suns), 25, C, 8.5 ppg, 7.5 rpg: A former No. 5 overall pick who hasn?t lived up to potential and was supplanted by DeAndre Ayton.
Isaiah Thomas (Lakers), 29, PG, 15.2 ppg, 4.8 apg: The most accomplished player on this list but not a good fit.
Jerami Grant (Thunder), 24, F, 8.4 ppg, 3.9 rpg: Athletic big man who?ll have suitors for the mid-level exception.
Mario Hezonja (Magic), 23, SG, 9.6 ppg, 3.7 rpg: The 5th overall pick in 2015 (picked by the Magic when Scott Perry was in the front office) has been a bust but showed real potential at the end of last season. Has upside as a shooter.
Montrezl Harrell (Clippers), 24, PF, 11 ppg, 4.0 rpg: Explosive, can finish at the rim and will have options in free agency.
Luc Mbah a Moute (Rockets), 31, PF, 7.5 rpg, 3.0 rpg: A solid leader for the locker room and always a reliable defender.
Mike Scott (Wizards), 29, PF, 8.8 ppg, 3.3 rpg: He can score (and the Knicks need somebody to get points) and hit 3-pointers but is a woeful defender.
James Ennis (Pistons), 27, SF, 7.1 ppg, 3.1 rpg: A potential stopgap.

tiger0330

Legend
S-Bondy in NY Daily News on free agent options, if Kanter opts in:

Here are some options:
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope (Lakers), 25, SG, 13.4 ppg, 5.2 rpg: Solid 3-and-D role player who’d fit into New York’s philosophy of increasing athleticism.
Alex Len (Suns), 25, C, 8.5 ppg, 7.5 rpg: A former No. 5 overall pick who hasn’t lived up to potential and was supplanted by DeAndre Ayton.
Isaiah Thomas (Lakers), 29, PG, 15.2 ppg, 4.8 apg: The most accomplished player on this list but not a good fit.
Jerami Grant (Thunder), 24, F, 8.4 ppg, 3.9 rpg: Athletic big man who’ll have suitors for the mid-level exception.
Mario Hezonja (Magic), 23, SG, 9.6 ppg, 3.7 rpg: The 5th overall pick in 2015 (picked by the Magic when Scott Perry was in the front office) has been a bust but showed real potential at the end of last season. Has upside as a shooter.
Montrezl Harrell (Clippers), 24, PF, 11 ppg, 4.0 rpg: Explosive, can finish at the rim and will have options in free agency.
Luc Mbah a Moute (Rockets), 31, PF, 7.5 rpg, 3.0 rpg: A solid leader for the locker room and always a reliable defender.
Mike Scott (Wizards), 29, PF, 8.8 ppg, 3.3 rpg: He can score (and the Knicks need somebody to get points) and hit 3-pointers but is a woeful defender.
James Ennis (Pistons), 27, SF, 7.1 ppg, 3.1 rpg: A potential stopgap.
Knicks will have the non-taxpayer MLE of 8.6M and bi-annual exception of 3.6M to spend in FA. Surprised that IT is on that list, is it possible that he could sign for MLE money? Nets are reportedly interested in Hezonja, I like him, Montrezl and Grant from guys on that list that I think are realistic signings. I like KCP but I think he'll be looking for more money than the MLE and would probably sign another 1 year 18M deal somewhere rather than a multi year MLE deal.

mafra

Legend
I?m hopeful that with Perry and our Euro kids, Herzongia comes to NYK.

Lakers offered ?untouchable? Ingram and a future 1st for KL. Probably not enough tho...

tiger0330

Legend
Confirmation from Mill's not to expect much from the Knicks in FA this off-season.

I do expect the Knicks will try to trade vets for one year deals, youth and picks.

Kiyaman

Legend
Confirmation from Mill's not to expect much from the Knicks in FA this off-season.

I do expect the Knicks will try to trade vets for one year deals, youth and picks.

WOW Mills !!! Admitting the Knicks are only looking to sign one year contracts (short-term) from the 2018 FA market, are another way of saying the Knicks are TANKING the 2018-19 season !!!
Damn it !!!
The Knicks last year offseason one-year contracts that Mills gave to Jack n Session n Beasley should have also been given to Timmy and Baker !!!

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Kanter was serious about waiting until the last day, last minute, last second to make his decision. He knows it's a business and he's hoping the Bucks will renounce Jabari or make a trade to be able to sign him.