2018 NBA Free Agency

mafra

Legend
I like the move. We?ll see how much growth he shows... I wouldn?t mind if we retained Hicks too, but if we feel there?s more value adding an amir J type to groom Mitchell... then that?s fine too.

mafra

Legend
LeBron meeting with Philly today. They have Embiid, Simmons, better positioned to obtain KL, and are in the EC. Not to mention closer to CLE. Most of us felt all along that Philly made the most sense b-ball-wise.

Will it happen?

NYK sign Uni-Kornet to 1 yr / 1.6 mil deal

Makes sense. This deal doesn?t count against cap space.

As far as Hezonja, just read that we offered ?a portion? of our 8.6 million exception to him for a 1 year deal. I guess whether or not we get him will depend upon the size of that portion and what Sacramento offers.

Broadway

All Star
If you played pro sports pre 1990 or so you were born too early. The real old timers regret it. I hear the old baseball players mention it in particular because the owners had so much power in determining what player salaries were back then.

Forgot to include Booker in the group with #kporzee and Towns although Phx supposedly has pissed him off at the start of extension talks by waiving best friend on the team Ulis. We'll see how this goes, I assume he'll get over it quickly once he sees the coins in writing

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
PG: Emmanuel Mudiay/Frank Ntilikina/Trey Burke
SG: Tim Hardaway Jr./Courtney Lee/Damyean Dotson/Ron Baker
SF: Kevin Knox/Lance Thomas/Troy Williams
PF: Kristaps Porzingis*/Luke Kornet
C: Enes Kanter/Mitchell Robinson/Joakim Noah*

Even if we add MH... this is still a 20-62 type team. But, to me, this is perfect.

We don?t know what happens in 12 months... but... if we secure a top 5 pick WE GUARANTEE that we have a shot to snag a franchise-altering talent regardless.

One more year of woe to go...

Plus, losing won?t matter if the kids gain experience and flash potential. In the long run, this does more for the future than signing a few vets and going 34-48. KP returns in late FEB to prove he is healthy... Knox and Knits look legit. We develop a few guys... secure a top 3 pick. This is what will attract a max guy.

Broadway

All Star
Why the "stretch provision" is great and might have been wonderful had Kanter opted out and we used it on Noah. We could've had a Redick/KCP type situation or Jordan/Van Fleet situations this offseason...potentially with multiple players being able to lock up someone like Hezonja without fret

You gotta see the forest through the trees though instead of trying to win perception battles fans/media on July 1 2018

mafra

Legend
?We?ll see. Everybody points to the Sixers as the shining example of the master rebuild, how they tanked themselves into drafting two future stars and enough cap space to make a run at LeBron James. But there are more cautionary tales ? teams like the Magic and Suns and Kings ? who accumulated lottery picks for years and are still waiting for their first playoff appearance since Barack Obama?s first term. Even the glamorous Lakers, who drafted second overall for three consecutive years, are facing a sixth straight losing season if they can?t flip their assets for Kawhi Leonard or convince LeBron James to take their money.

In other words, the Knicks are taking the practical approach, but it?s far from safe because there?s only one given: more losing.?

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nyda...ster-bondy-20180701-story.html?outputType=amp

mafra

Legend
the Knicks decided to sign a free agent with all of their non-taxpayer MLE, this is how the years break out based on the current estimates and 5% raises:

Year 1: $8,567,770

Year 2: $8,996,159

Year 3: $9,424,547

Year 4: $9,852,936

Signing a player to a multi-year contract with those values prevents New York from offering a 30 percent max contract to a free agent (New York is still short even if they don?t sign anyone long-term, but that?s a different discussion altogether). This is why trading Courtney Lee this offseason and also not taking on a contract past 2019 is so critical ? and why some people have considered stretching Noah in order to make room for a max contract. The difference between Lee?s 2019 salary figure and the Year 2 figure for the MLE does create a difference that puts New York in a position to effectively in position for the 30 percent max, but then we have to take into consideration the cap hold of the 2019 first-round pick. This is why you don?t sign Tim Hardaway Jr. and Joakim Noah to those contracts, but now I?m digressing.

All of this is to say that maybe signing a player isn?t the best of ideas. If New York can find a way to trade Lee for a player they have no intention on keeping past the 2019 offseason or trade him into space, then things can become more interesting. Shedding Lee?s contract, releasing Lance Thomas, renouncing Ron Baker, Emmanuel Mudiay, Trey Burke, and Troy Williams, and stretching Noah on his final year creates an estimate $54,235,824 minus the 2019 first-round draft pick?s cap hold/contract and incomplete roster charges ? well above that $32.4 million threshold.

Dumping Lee is essential to whether or not I think the Knicks should sign a player with their mid-level exception. If they can, then the two players that I would recommend be potential targets are Marcus Smart and Mario Hezonja. I highly doubt Smart signs for $8.5 million over multiple years (and with a ?tanking? team) unless his market is completely dried up and he becomes desperate for job security.

I?m uncertain about what Hezonja?s market is and if another team with more cap space wants to gamble on him. Nabbing him on a four-year, $32 million contract would be the type of deal that?s worth the risk if he manages to fulfill his potential and puts together the flashes we saw during the second half of the season. And if he signs for something such as four years at $10 million per year elsewhere, that?s not the end of the world either.

https://www.postingandtoasting.com/...table-what-free-agent-should-the-knicks-chase

mafra

Legend
This is why I prefer we hold the line and focus on next summer. Object we?ll realistically snag this summer, even with cap space, would move the needle much.

In the long run, procuring a top 5 pick and signing a max next year... those 2 additions... would impact our core far greater than bringing in 2 of this year?s bunch.

That?s just me. If we can snag a MH... do it. Then we trade LT and Noah and Lee. This is the goal this season. Steal 1 more young asset and dump those 3 salaries.

Broadway

All Star
“We’ll see. Everybody points to the Sixers as the shining example of the master rebuild, how they tanked themselves into drafting two future stars and enough cap space to make a run at LeBron James. But there are more cautionary tales – teams like the Magic and Suns and Kings – who accumulated lottery picks for years and are still waiting for their first playoff appearance since Barack Obama’s first term. Even the glamorous Lakers, who drafted second overall for three consecutive years, are facing a sixth straight losing season if they can’t flip their assets for Kawhi Leonard or convince LeBron James to take their money.

In other words, the Knicks are taking the practical approach, but it’s far from safe because there’s only one given: more losing.”

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nyda...ster-bondy-20180701-story.html?outputType=amp

Which is why I posted those extension numbers where DA MEDIA will be late to talk about it at length and out front. I don't like handing out massive long-term deals to players when the team stinks and/or not showing any sign of a breakthrough. Tim Hardaway Jr. and Noah should not have the deals they have nor should we give #kporzee $150mil dollars. This is not the correct way to execute a winning recipe

The key is to amass talent until you're fortunate enough to hit on multiple talent developing at high clips all at once not separate of each other or via gap yrs due to lack of assets and/or injuries

As the article points out we're not the only team dealing with these issues and someone will break forth I just doubt it'll be us for a while. What separates some of those teams mentioned they landed a #1 overall pick...we've yet to accomplish this

tiger0330

Legend
Lebron sent his reps to PHI and didn't attend the meeting. LA couldn't sign PG and Spurs have the upper hand in trading Kawhi, preferring to trade him to the EC Celts or Sixers and not to the WC Lakers. I think he stays in CLE maybe on a 2 yr deal allowing him to reassess again in a couple of years when he could go to HOU or the Warriors.

I can see another SI letter that loyalty, home and team were the reasons he decided to stay in CLE.

Hmm. Lakers get age 33 Lebron and have him until age 37 (year 4 has an opt out for Lebron). Lakers have huge cap space room. Need to find a way to get Kawhi Leonard now I suppose. Lakers have Ball, Ingram, Kuzma, and Josh Hart and Ball is hurt. Could resign Randle. Buyout Luol Deng. They have options, but Magic has a lot of work to do.

Lakers have all their future 1st round picks. Could make a downright silly offer to add another star with Lebron, but how do you get better than GS and Houston? The more I think about this, the less sense this all makes.