NBA Summer League 2018

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks roster is filling out, Mudiay and Burke won't play. Knicks added Juwan Howard Jr. today. Mike Miller of the Westchester Knicks will coach the team. Schedule and roster below. Looking for good showings from our picks this year Knox and Robinson and Ntilikina.

mafra

Legend
Lonnie Walker 3-16... Trae Young 4-20...

Giles and Fox and Bagley looked good for SAC.

Marvin Bagley III put on a show during his pro debut on Monday, scoring 18 points with six rebounds, three blocks and one 3-pointer in 25 minutes against the Lakers.

tiger0330

Legend
Lonnie Walker 3-16... Trae Young 4-20...

Giles and Fox and Bagley looked good for SAC.

Marvin Bagley III put on a show during his pro debut on Monday, scoring 18 points with six rebounds, three blocks and one 3-pointer in 25 minutes against the Lakers.
Bagley with the play of the game a posterizing dunk over Mo Wagner. I liked the squad the Kings put out there, Fox, Bagley, Mason, JJ, Giles, maybe this is the year they turn it around.

Fizdale talking up 18-year-old Kevin Knox?s maturity. Knox talking about all he cares about is championships, even in Summer League. Has the circus finally left town for the Knicks and it?s time for just basketball?

Broadway

All Star
Bagley with the play of the game a posterizing dunk over Mo Wagner. I liked the squad the Kings put out there, Fox, Bagley, Mason, JJ, Giles, maybe this is the year they turn it around.

This is why it won't be a cakewalk for Lebron and the Lakers...you also have Phx with a nice young core group of talent

Booker/Jackson/Ayton/Bridges/Chris/Len/Bender/Warren all under 25

tiger0330

Legend
Jaren Jackson so far looks head an shoulders above Trae Young and better than Marvin Bagley so far. Very impressed with all that he does, 3 pt shooting, back to the basket game, perimeter D but has the speed to recover and protect the rim esp with that wing span and size. The kid looks like a stud to me, only weakness so far is his conditioning which is going to get better. Sometimes you can be too cute with your draft pick like the Hawks were, better if they stuck with JJ instead of gambling on Trae.

mafra

Legend
David Fizdale wants his guards to fight for the starting PG job during training camp.
"Roll that ball out and whoever takes the spot takes the spot," Fizdale said, referring to the battle between Frank Ntilikina, Trey Burke and Emmanuel Mudiay. "But I see them all playing for me. So I can?t say right now who?s going to start and who?s not going to start." It stands to reason that Ntilikina will earn the nod on opening night, but the Knicks are a team to monitor throughout the preseason.

mafra

Legend
Here we go... Let?s hope we ?see it? on Sat. I?m really hoping for the trifecta this draft. Word is Perry planned on taking Trier at #36... but was shocked Robinson landed in their laps. They quietly hoped Trier would remain undrafted after they pass on him.

How great would it be if both Trier and Robinson hit, and Knox is what they expect.

?-//

Fourteen months is a long time not to play a 5-on-5 basketball game, unless you are Mitchell Robinson. The Knicks? 7-foot center project has floored Knicks coach David Fizdale.

?Ma-a-a-n, is he athletic,? Fizdale said of Robinson, whom they selected with the 36th pick of the draft.

After two days of summer-league practice, Fizdale is more impressed with his sharpness.

?You would?ve thought he was playing the whole time,? Fizdale said. ?That?s how solid he?s been.

?No, I have not seen rust. As crazy as it is. I was just talking to [player developmental director] Craig Robinson about it. I was going to think this kid?s timing would be off or there would be a lot of stuff we have to stop for him and teach. Kid?s got pretty good feel for the game. He?s in great shape. And athletically, he?s a freak. He?s in the one percentile of high flyers and runners. There?s just not many guys who are that athletic.?

?I want to encourage him to be great at what he?s good at right now,? Fizdale said after Wednesday?s practice. ?Can we just get him in a game? His game right now is running and jumping. So anything that has to do with that, how good can I make him at that first??

Knicks president Steve Mills and GM Scott Perry chose Robinson partly because the faith they have in Fizdale as a developmental coach. Robinson?s growth will surely be a reflection on Fizdale?s reputation.

It doesn?t sound like Robinson will be putting up significant scoring numbers during the five-game summer league.

?We?re going to be working on jump hooks, post-up game, we?re going to always build that kind of incrementally,? Fizdale said. ?But how can we get him a confidence that, ?I can go play in the NBA game right now because I can hang my hat on this.? Right now it?s his athleticism. Getting him to run the floor every time.?

?Getting him to screen at the right angle and to get to the rim with speed every single time. Getting him to be in a stance on every pick-and-roll. Being able to switch on that pick-and-roll and protect the rim. Those little areas, can we make him great at that? And then jump hook, 15-footer, all of that stuff will be built behind that.?

Enes Kanter is expected to start at center, and the Knicks re-signed young Luke Kornet for the main roster as his backup. But the 20-year-old Robinson clearly is the future. The Lakers had mulled taking him at 25 and were hoping he dropped to 39. If it weren?t for the Knicks, Robinson would be a teammate of LeBron James.

?He is a fun project,? Fizdale said. ?I?ll tell you that.?

https://nypost.com/2018/07/05/knicks-cant-believe-how-good-their-new-athletic-freak-looks/amp/

mafra

Legend
It may not mean much... But NYK now have 3 lottery picks from 2015 draft, to compliment the 3 first round grade prospects they scooped up this draft class. Not too shabby. No tank here, regardless if the Ls pile up.

Maybe he is just blowing smoke, but man, I really like Fizdale?s approach of generating excitement about and for his players rather than Hornacek?s approach of sucking the air out of the room.

Kiyaman

Legend
Jaren Jackson so far looks head an shoulders above Trae Young and better than Marvin Bagley so far. Very impressed with all that he does, 3 pt shooting, back to the basket game, perimeter D but has the speed to recover and protect the rim esp with that wing span and size. The kid looks like a stud to me, only weakness so far is his conditioning which is going to get better. Sometimes you can be too cute with your draft pick like the Hawks were, better if they stuck with JJ instead of gambling on Trae.

Jaren Jackson Jr. all-around 2-Way performance showing he could play center plus both forward position in the back to back summer-league games may become a top-3 candidate for ROY next season .. The Grizz found a great young Big-Man out the draft to replace Zach Randolph big body in the paint.

Marvin Bagley III .. 2-Way performance at F/C looks like the main missing piece to boost teammates WCS, Jackson, and Fox to give the Kings a .500 season.

Kiyaman

Legend
It may not mean much... But NYK now have 3 lottery picks from 2015 draft, to compliment the 3 first round grade prospects they scooped up this draft class. Not too shabby. No tank here, regardless if the Ls pile up.

All that sound good bout having three 2015 lottery picks on the Knick, but all 3 players ( KP, Herzona, and Mudiay) are average scorers that add nothing else to the Knicks, plus all 3 are BUMS on the defensive-end of the court.
None of the 3 2015 lottery pick players i mention above showed within their 3 seasons in the NBA they are capable of being a defensive-minded player to provide STOPS on the defensive-end of the court to be a valuable player on the court in the 4th quarter.
Headcoach Fiz better have something slick up his sleeve to get all the Knicks many non-defensive players to win games !!!

Hint .. Lebron James goes to Lakers on July 1st, and on the same day the Lakers sign 3 relentless defensive-minded FA players in Center McGee, G/F Stephenson, and PG Rondo on July 1st.. Why didn't the Lakers try to sign a FA scorer on July 1st?
DEFENSE win games !!!

tiger0330

Legend
Here we go... Let’s hope we “see it” on Sat. I’m really hoping for the trifecta this draft. Word is Perry planned on taking Trier at #36... but was shocked Robinson landed in their laps. They quietly hoped Trier would remain undrafted after they pass on him.

How great would it be if both Trier and Robinson hit, and Knox is what they expect.

—-//

Fourteen months is a long time not to play a 5-on-5 basketball game, unless you are Mitchell Robinson. The Knicks’ 7-foot center project has floored Knicks coach David Fizdale.

“Ma-a-a-n, is he athletic,” Fizdale said of Robinson, whom they selected with the 36th pick of the draft.

After two days of summer-league practice, Fizdale is more impressed with his sharpness.

“You would’ve thought he was playing the whole time,” Fizdale said. “That’s how solid he’s been.

“No, I have not seen rust. As crazy as it is. I was just talking to [player developmental director] Craig Robinson about it. I was going to think this kid’s timing would be off or there would be a lot of stuff we have to stop for him and teach. Kid’s got pretty good feel for the game. He’s in great shape. And athletically, he’s a freak. He’s in the one percentile of high flyers and runners. There’s just not many guys who are that athletic.”

“I want to encourage him to be great at what he’s good at right now,” Fizdale said after Wednesday’s practice. “Can we just get him in a game? His game right now is running and jumping. So anything that has to do with that, how good can I make him at that first?”

Knicks president Steve Mills and GM Scott Perry chose Robinson partly because the faith they have in Fizdale as a developmental coach. Robinson’s growth will surely be a reflection on Fizdale’s reputation.

It doesn’t sound like Robinson will be putting up significant scoring numbers during the five-game summer league.

“We’re going to be working on jump hooks, post-up game, we’re going to always build that kind of incrementally,” Fizdale said. “But how can we get him a confidence that, ‘I can go play in the NBA game right now because I can hang my hat on this.’ Right now it’s his athleticism. Getting him to run the floor every time.”

“Getting him to screen at the right angle and to get to the rim with speed every single time. Getting him to be in a stance on every pick-and-roll. Being able to switch on that pick-and-roll and protect the rim. Those little areas, can we make him great at that? And then jump hook, 15-footer, all of that stuff will be built behind that.”

Enes Kanter is expected to start at center, and the Knicks re-signed young Luke Kornet for the main roster as his backup. But the 20-year-old Robinson clearly is the future. The Lakers had mulled taking him at 25 and were hoping he dropped to 39. If it weren’t for the Knicks, Robinson would be a teammate of LeBron James.

“He is a fun project,” Fizdale said. “I’ll tell you that.”

https://nypost.com/2018/07/05/knicks-cant-believe-how-good-their-new-athletic-freak-looks/amp/
I said Robinson would be rusty, now Fiz saying he isn't. I'll take him at his word, now let's see how he does against guys hungrier, bigger, stronger, better than any competition he's ever played against.

mafra

Legend
All that sound good bout having three 2015 lottery picks on the Knick, but all 3 players ( KP, Herzona, and Mudiay) are average scorers that add nothing else to the Knicks, plus all 3 are BUMS on the defensive-end of the court.
None of the 3 2015 lottery pick players i mention above showed within their 3 seasons in the NBA they are capable of being a defensive-minded player to provide STOPS on the defensive-end of the court to be a valuable player on the court in the 4th quarter.
Headcoach Fiz better have something slick up his sleeve to get all the Knicks many non-defensive players to win games !!!

Hint .. Lebron James goes to Lakers on July 1st, and on the same day the Lakers sign 3 relentless defensive-minded FA players in Center McGee, G/F Stephenson, and PG Rondo on July 1st.. Why didn't the Lakers try to sign a FA scorer on July 1st?
DEFENSE win games !!!

Lakers are clearly going a different dir croon. Surrounding LeBron with defensive-minded guys, not shooters. Still, 3 defenders will chase LeBron around and dare Ball, Rondo, Lance to shoot.

Kiyaman

Legend
Lakers are clearly going a different dir croon. Surrounding LeBron with defensive-minded guys, not shooters. Still, 3 defenders will chase LeBron around and dare Ball, Rondo, Lance to shoot.

Lakers top scorers were Randle, Ingram, Lopez, and future star Kuzma last season .. I believe the Lakers should've resign the improve 6.9 Julius Randle double-double 25 minute performance last season.

mafra

Legend
Jonathan Isaac showed some impressive growth against the Nets on Friday during an 86-80 win, scoring 20 points with seven rebounds, one assist, one block, one steal, no turnovers and no fouls in 29 minutes.
He was a sight to behold with a slew of scoring off the bounce, a good amount of ball-handling to run the offense, and tremendous defense. Isaac even ran some pick-and-pop plays with Mo Bamba, and the duo's length made it tough to score. Isaac has said he is much more comfortable at Vegas this year and it shows in a big way. He will be one of our favorite bench players to target in drafts.

tiger0330

Legend
Jonathan Isaac showed some impressive growth against the Nets on Friday during an 86-80 win, scoring 20 points with seven rebounds, one assist, one block, one steal, no turnovers and no fouls in 29 minutes.
He was a sight to behold with a slew of scoring off the bounce, a good amount of ball-handling to run the offense, and tremendous defense. Isaac even ran some pick-and-pop plays with Mo Bamba, and the duo's length made it tough to score. Isaac has said he is much more comfortable at Vegas this year and it shows in a big way. He will be one of our favorite bench players to target in drafts.
Justin Jackson was the best Kings player in the first California Classic of summer league, showed that dead eye shooting and scoring ability when he played at NC. Looking for all these high draft picks that have 1 year of NBA experience like Ntilikina to be the cream of the summer league crop.

Looking at the schedule online, I think we play this evening (Saturday) at 5:30PM EST time. Looking forward to it, although I might have to catch a later replay if the family schedule at my house leaves me busy earlier in the day.