NBA Summer League 2018

Broadway

All Star
Trier is such a black hole and very redundant to Burke. It's going to be interesting what happens with him. Someone has to get cut we sit at 16 already I believe plus we still have a couple exceptions to use on Free Agents

mafra

Legend
Trier isn?t a finished product... he already has an NBA skill set... he can score. He might be nothing more than a 6th man type... then again, he might be our best PG. Time will tell, but to me, Dotson and Baker need to go before Trier. I think we need offense here... not favoring Baker/Dotson defense over what Trier brings...

His 2-way contract prevents him from spending more than 45 days or something on team, until D-League season ends.

Trier torpedoed that label Tuesday in the Knicks? loss to the Lakers. The 6-foot-5 guard racked up 21 points, five assists and 10 rebounds. He shot 8-of-13 from the field.

?People underrate his playmaking,?? one NBA scout said. ?He maybe got a stigma as a selfish player but so far his best game in summer league is when he played the entire game at point guard.??

The Knicks have not made any of their coaches available to the media after the past two summer-league games. David Fizdale said last week Trier reminded him of ?a Lou Williams.??

According to sources, the Knicks have worked exclusively with Trier at moving the ball and seeing the court to enhance his sniper capabilities. He?s already an adept long-range shooter who can draw fouls in penetration.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost...already-showing-he-can-fix-biggest-minus/amp/

tiger0330

Legend
Perry brings Knicks fans back to earth with the below comment and Knox on cue struggles in his 4th Summer League game going 5-20 for 15 pts. Robinson on the other hand was a beast with 17pts 12rbs 6blks 3 steals.

[FONT=&quot]According to Marc Berman of The New York Post, Perry stated before the Knicks’ third Summer League game that fans must not remain aware of the context.[/FONT]
“I think it’s way too early to make an assessment after two summer-league games,’’ Perry said. “You have to measure it. Excitement or disappointment? Do we see encouraging things? Yes. But we know these aren’t the guys they’re playing against or not playing against in the fall.’’

mafra

Legend
Mitchell a beast today! Woah... 17 and 12 and 6 blocks and only 1 foul with 0 turnovers...

Trier with 17-4-4 line too.

Knox is fine. He?s legit. Raw tho but you have to be blind not to see his athleticism and multi-faceted offensive game. Even in a bad game he still scored 15 and got to the FT line.

Semi is a solid defensive player and 5 years older than Knox. Gave him fits today.

Knox alley-oop to Robinson was sweet!

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
?When you play with energy, things go well,?? the 20-year-old Robinson said afterward. ?When you work hard, it?s not that hard to do. You got to focus and play hard. That?s it.?

?He?s got elite quickness off his feet, but the question is: Does it get negated when he?s going against 260-pound guys?? one NBA scout said.

If Irving is mulling the Knicks as a 2019 free agent, which sources say he is, then he had to like what he saw in the super athletic Robinson, as he sat next to Jaylen Brown.

On social media, the intrigue grew with free agent Jimmy Butler ?liking? a message about pairing up with Irving to join the Knicks. Butler and Irving reportedly want to join forces, but the Knicks don?t have the cap space for two max players.

A man of few words, Mitchell, who is averaging 4.1 blocks per game, likes to keep it simple. Asked what makes him a good shot-blocker, Mitchell said, ?You know the player either has to shoot it or pass it.??

After dropping out of Western Kentucky, as the story goes, he spent every day training for the NBA, even having a session with Pelicans center Anthony Davis.

?Was an everyday thing,?? Mitchell said. ?No days off. Only days off was Sunday. That?s church day, but we just grinded every day. I picked [Davis?] brain. He?s been in the league for a while now, showed me a lot of things, ins and outs.?

tiger0330

Legend
Look at Robinsons numbers compared to Ayton. Granted Ayton didn't look like a world beater in summer league but he was the number 1 pick. Robinson very similar production to Ayton with what I thought was better perimeter defense where he got some of his blocks. What separates some of the best teams is picking up that gem in the later rounds ala Manu, Draymon and Robinson might be our guy.

GP
MP
PTS
FGM
ATT
%
RB
APG
St
Blocks
Ayton, Deandre
PHX
60%
Robinson, Mitchel
NYK
72%

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
I think Kupchak is gonna regret trading Diallo to OKC, I understand they have some depth on their roster the position he plays but Geeez it looks like it may turn out to be a very bad deal.

mafra

Legend
The way to build a contender in this age, if you don?t have a top 5 player... is to hit on 3 lottery picks and find a gem in the second round. This is a must and takes 3 drafts to accomplish.

We can only hope KP, Knits, Knox, and Robinson are the answer for us.

Kiyaman

Legend
Look at Robinsons numbers compared to Ayton. Granted Ayton didn't look like a world beater in summer league but he was the number 1 pick. Robinson very similar production to Ayton with what I thought was better perimeter defense where he got some of his blocks. What separates some of the best teams is picking up that gem in the later rounds ala Manu, Draymon and Robinson might be our guy.

GP
MP
PTS
FGM
ATT
%
RB
APG
St
Blocks
Ayton, Deandre
PHX
60%
Robinson, Mitchel
NYK
72%

Robinson's consistent performance in summer league games has rated Robinson to be (or should a been) a top 20 pick in 2018 draft-class ..
Its like the Knicks got lucky by selecting two first round picks in Knox/Robinson .. Yeah! I must admit I liked Robinson 2-Way performance in the summer league games much more than Knox 1-Way performance.
It will be interested to see how well a front-court big lineup Kanter/Robinson/Knox gell throughout the 2 rookies season.

mafra

Legend
What I like most about Robinson, is the for with KP, Knits, and Knox.

I like the fit of the roster there... defense at the point and in the paint... 2 naturally gifted offensive players at the F positions...

It goes well and MR plays exactly what I want in a modern C.

tiger0330

Legend
This is why it won't be a cakewalk for Lebron and the Lakers...you also have Phx with a nice young core group of talent

Booker/Jackson/Ayton/Bridges/Chris/Len/Bender/Warren all under 25

Bagley with the play of the game a posterizing dunk over Mo Wagner. I liked the squad the Kings put out there, Fox, Bagley, Mason, JJ, Giles, maybe this is the year they turn it around.
Chicago young core Lauri Markkanen, Wendell Carter, Zach Lavine and Kris Dunn, Jabari.

Broadway what do you think? Suns unproven but more upside? Bulls can make some noise if Parker and Lavine can play some defense.

Broadway

All Star
Chicago young core Lauri Markkanen, Wendell Carter, Zach Lavine and Kris Dunn, Jabari.

Broadway what do you think? Suns unproven but more upside? Bulls can make some noise if Parker and Lavine can play some defense.

I just commented in the Free Agency thread Bulls should make the playoffs...I really like their mix of young talent. I'll say Heat and Cavs will surrender playoff spots to Bulls and Pistons this yr

Broadway

All Star
Man Summer League play has been so great, exceptional play from many players and to be quite honest this may be the thing to watch during the basketball season and not the playoffs. It'll come down to quality of summer drafts and players who decide to participate.

Hart should get MVP but quiet as kept Sexton has been Sexsational...gotta love how these games matter to these guys, what a moment here

Now Knits could've had a progressive moment during Summer League like Hart but instead because he played considerably better in his 2nd game vs his 1st game we treat the Fragile Frank with kid gloves and sit him out the rest of the tournament. Shameful!

Cleveland made a great pick, if the kid doesn't get hurt looks like he's going to be special. What a draft class, I'm impressed through and through...off rip.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Man Summer League play has been so great, exceptional play from many players and to be quite honest this may the thing to watch during the basketball season and not the playoffs. It'll come down to quality of summer drafts and players who decide to participate.

Hart should get MVP but quiet as kept Sexton has been Sexsational...gotta love how these games matter to these guys, what a moment here

Now Knits could've had a progressive moment during Summer League like Hart but instead because he played considerably better in his 2nd game vs his 1st game we treat the Fragile Frank with kid gloves and sit him out the rest of the tournament. Shameful!

Cleveland made a great pick, if the kid doesn't get hurt looks like he's going to be special. What a draft class, I'm impressed through and through...off rip.
Don't forget our guys Knox and Robinson. Robinson performance exceeding his draft position and question marks about that 17 month absence from competitive bball. Knox getting mentioned as the best rookie in Summer League among ESPN analysts and I said he had me more excited than even Porzingis, not going to sleep on Trier either who looked better than the Dotson, Early, Ante second round picks.

Sexton played well and CLE picked a good PG who they are going to fast track into the starting lineup but I really like Trae as the most exciting PG in this draft, started slow in Summer League but showed the flashes of brilliance that he showed in college. I still have questions about his size esp when I saw him get stuffed at the rim or get his jump shot blocked and it's not going to help his defense but he's going to be a crowd pleaser that people will pay to see. I love Jaren Jackson and Wendell also who along with Kevin Knox should start day one and get plenty of playing time to make a run at ROY.

Broadway

All Star
Don't forget our guys Knox and Robinson. Robinson performance exceeding his draft position and question marks about that 17 month absence from competitive bball. Knox getting mentioned as the best rookie in Summer League among ESPN analysts and I said he had me more excited than even Porzingis, not going to sleep on Trier either who looked better than the Dotson, Early, Ante second round picks.

Sexton played well and CLE picked a good PG who they are going to fast track into the starting lineup but I really like Trae as the most exciting PG in this draft, started slow in Summer League but showed the flashes of brilliance that he showed in college. I still have questions about his size esp when I saw him get stuffed at the rim or get his jump shot blocked and it's not going to help his defense but he's going to be a crowd pleaser that people will pay to see. I love Jaren Jackson and Wendell also who along with Kevin Knox should start day one and get plenty of playing time to make a run at ROY.

Oh our guys(rooks) played above and beyond(at least from what I expected of them) too bad we didn't have a better team maybe they'd be playing now hence my frustrations with Knits sitting out....he could've been a factor like Hart is for the Lakers who was picked 22 spots after him. Hart is playing like he's sending a message to Magic Johnson that you better not think about trading me and performed at an elite level in this tournament in front of all his Laker contemporaries start to finish

Robinson very well might not be that big of a project...matter of fact Knits is till the biggest project on the roster at the moment. I'm almost completely soured on him:? :? :?. Dotson was awful but we're not expecting him to lead our team unlike Knits. I think Robinson had the most blocks/gm in Summer League history, good for him. Should crack the rotation immediately!

I'd be even higher on our guys if there wasn't so much great play throughout this tournament though. Jackson looks like he could turn out to be the best player from this draft he can do everything it seems...but I can list many who caught my eye

mafra

Legend
Comparing Hart to Knits is comparing apples to avocados.

Hart is 23, and Knits is 19... Hart played at Villanova from 2013-2017. A 4-year college player... he was Big East All-Rookie Team, won a National Title in 2016, and was an All-American his senior year. How many college games is that? Almost 100? Playing how many minutes a game?

I understand fans are apprehensive and reticent with Knits, fearing he probably won?t reach his potential... but it?s unfair to suggest Hart and Knits should be at the same point in their development, even if both possess same talent... and were selected in the same draft.

I hope when Knits is 23, he?s not playing on our SL squad.

This isn?t to say Knits will even be a viable rotation player, let alone be an impactful starter... or that Hart won?t be a gem...

This isn?t to say we should still take Knits over DM if given a mulligan...

But.... Josh Hart played 4 years in NCAA and won a national championship game. He?s invigorated bc the King arrived... good for him... MVP... but there?s many SL MVPs who amounted to nothing.

As for Knits... I hate to say it bc I haven?t seen much... but the kid is raw and he may not blossom for another 2-3 years... if at all. We just have to remain patient and cross our fingers.

Broadway

All Star
Comparing Hart to Knits is comparing apples to avocados.

Hart is 23, and Knits is 19... Hart played at Villanova from 2013-2017. A 4-year college player... he was Big East All-Rookie Team, won a National Title in 2016, and was an All-American his senior year. How many college games is that? Almost 100? Playing how many minutes a game?

I understand fans are apprehensive and reticent with Knits, fearing he probably won’t reach his potential... but it’s unfair to suggest Hart and Knits should be at the same point in their development, even if both possess same talent... and were selected in the same draft.

I hope when Knits is 23, he’s not playing on our SL squad.

This isn’t to say Knits will even be a viable rotation player, let alone be an impactful starter... or that Hart won’t be a gem...

This isn’t to say we should still take Knits over DM if given a mulligan...

But.... Josh Hart played 4 years in NCAA and won a national championship game. He’s invigorated bc the King arrived... good for him... MVP... but there’s many SL MVPs who amounted to nothing.

As for Knits... I hate to say it bc I haven’t seen much... but the kid is raw and he may not blossom for another 2-3 years... if at all. We just have to remain patient and cross our fingers.

But we can compare Hart to Knits to some degree especially when you use Tatum and Mitchell as counters when looking at age and respective draft positions. What about Booker and Towns who weren't drafted near each other but came into the league as babies and are equal talents.

But I'll one up and ask what is the big HOOPLA about playing overseas at such young ages if it's not an advantage? You realize this proved to be the case for #kporzee, a kid who was playing professional ball at the age of 16 and highly likely why he's one of the best players of not only his draft class but in the league...what resulted in Doncic being drafted Top 5 at 18. No I'll one up again add in Knox only being 18 and already looks more advanced than Knits...wait doesn't stop there throw in Robinson who played no College ball and looks more advanced considering the positions/role they'll play.

I understand guys need time to develop but there's not a lot to go off right now that suggest Knits is going to take this team by the reigns. Especially when he won't even be a focal point or feature in what we do. Players that usually acquire a lions share in team scheme is because they force the hand of the coach/team to incorporate them, they take it by command

So either we're overhyping Euro prospects and their professional experience or this is an excuse to insulate Knits

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
There?s nothing given here... Knits might never be as good as Hart is right now.

Still, if we would?ve grabbed Hart after his sophomore year at Villanova and tossed him in the SL... he would probably resemble what Knits is right now.

There?s nothing to suggest Knits will ever gab anything by the reigns... but Hart is almost 4 years older... that makes a big difference.

I?m gonna wait and see what Knits is like at 22, then compare that to what Hart is right now.

What else can we do? But, again, Hart played 4 years of college ball... heavy minutes... he?s 4 years older (meaning his body and mind and confidence is 4 years fully more mature).

Knits supposedly ate up younger competition, in international games, when pitted against peers his age. He defers on offense right now bc If his youth (hopefully).

PG really tough for teenagers against NBA talent. Not many have excelled as teenagers.

Last edited: