Lebron Decision .. 4 yr $154M to Lakers .. How will it effect league ???

Kiyaman

Legend
Lebron James going to the western conference Lakers has made the weak eastern conference WEAKER !!!
Kuzma are on his way to become a super-star next season along side Lebron !!!

We know today, if the Spurs trade Kahwi Lenard it wont be to the Lakers for the Lakers young core players (Ball/Kuzma/Ingram/and Caruso) .. the Spurs are going to trade Kawhi to a team in the eastern conference to get in return the teams best players (Toronto Raptors giving up two or three of their best players).

tiger0330

Legend
Lebron attracts players like honey. Lance and JaVale sign the same day for one year deals. Javale for the min again after winning 2 rings with the Warriors, I'm sure he's looking for a bigger role with the Lakers so he can start earning some decent money. Lance just wants a ring.

One of those cycles where the top players are in the WC but all things change with the Celts and Sixers likely going to attract some top players. Lebron has had a hell of a run but no man beats father time, I said a couple of years ago I didn't see an imminent decline but I said watch when he turns 35 which is when we might see him become mortal.

jimkcchief88

All Star
This just shows how much of a failure Fail-Jackson was in NYC. This the type of move Fail was brought in to make that Magic Johnson just snapped his fingers and pulls off. NYC hasn?t been a destination for a long time with Melo being the last major star that actually wanted to be here for better or worse.

Broadway

All Star
Lebron attracts players like honey. Lance and JaVale sign the same day for one year deals. Javale for the min again after winning 2 rings with the Warriors, I'm sure he's looking for a bigger role with the Lakers so he can start earning some decent money. Lance just wants a ring.

One of those cycles where the top players are in the WC but all things change with the Celts and Sixers likely going to attract some top players. Lebron has had a hell of a run but no man beats father time, I said a couple of years ago I didn't see an imminent decline but I said watch when he turns 35 which is when we might see him become mortal.

I don't believe Lebron to be a player magnet anymore, Kyrie pretty much destroyed this notion. If Lebron was, PG would've at least allowed Magic to talk to him since Lebron on more than one occasion last yr leaked he wanted to play with George. Cousins didn't commit to sign there, no marquee free agent signed there after Lebron committed early. Supposedly rumor had it Kawhi may have been hesitant to be traded to the Lakers(because Bron Drama) but was willing to be traded to an L.A. team still. Randle wouldn't even stick around for a reasonable negotiation. It'll be interesting to see what happens to this team going forward

Mike1989

Rookie
To be honest I think LeBron leaving the eastern conference will be a good thing for our half because we should see a more open competition for the top spot. As things stand I'd expect Boston and Philadelphia to slug it out for a place in the NBA finals next year. After that the competition for 3-8 should be good to watch because the underachieving Milwaukee and Washington will want to get better, Indiana will want to progress next season, Toronto will want to put their postseason woes behind them, Miami will be happy to be at the dance, and I wouldn't rule out Detroit making a move up the standings if Reggie Jackson, Blake Griffin and Andre Drummond stay healthy (they were 3-1 together). By no means do I expect teams 3-8 to have a chance against the Rockets and Warriors out west, but I'd say if Boston and Phildelphia's young cores continue to get better they will certainly be able to push them next season as long as they are at full strength.

So while LeBron leaving the eastern conference is disappointing, it could make our conference more interesting because it's no longer about LeBron James. Let the west have that problem.

mafra

Legend
I wonder if this is the impetus to get rid of divisions and conferences and just seed playoffs 1-16, and create a balanced schedule.

Mike1989

Rookie
I wonder if this is the impetus to get rid of divisions and conferences and just seed playoffs 1-16, and create a balanced schedule.

Perhaps but the only difference last season would have been the Nuggets in the play offs instead of the Wizards. In 16-17 and 15-16 there would be no change. In 14-15 the sub-500 Nets would drop out for the Thunder. So in the past four seasons there would only have been two changes to the teams that made the play offs, and last season five of the top eight seeds would have come from the east had they been ranked without conferences.

Would the league be better without conferences? I don't know, but the league has always seen swings from one conference to the other conference. The 1990s was mainly dominated by the east, the 1980s was a 5-5 draw, the 1970s saw the east win 6-4. Obviously since 2000 the west has won 13 titles to the east's 6 titles which is disappointing, but if the Celtics and 76ers are legit they might create a swing back towards the east.

With that said, I can see the benefit of a more balanced schedule. I know some want to see every team play each other twice and have a 58 game regular season rather than an 82 game regular season. Now that might make sense for the players, but 24 less games could hit them in the pocket if the revenues go down, and I doubt they would add an extra 5 games to the regular season to allow 3 games between each team. So as nice as it would be to see a more balanced schedule I think it is going to be difficult for the league to make significant changes to the existing setup.

tiger0330

Legend
I don't believe Lebron to be a player magnet anymore, Kyrie pretty much destroyed this notion. If Lebron was, PG would've at least allowed Magic to talk to him since Lebron on more than one occasion last yr leaked he wanted to play with George. Cousins didn't commit to sign there, no marquee free agent signed there after Lebron committed early. Supposedly rumor had it Kawhi may have been hesitant to be traded to the Lakers(because Bron Drama) but was willing to be traded to an L.A. team still. Randle wouldn't even stick around for a reasonable negotiation. It'll be interesting to see what happens to this team going forward
Rondo signed with the Lakers on a 1 yr/9M deal. Has to be Lebron as the reason.

On another note, the Washington Post had an article about a coming showdown between Lebron and Lavar which might run Lonzo out of town, hadn't given it much thought since the trade but does anyone give credence to the Lakers trading Lonzo because of Lebron.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...1cb691f1402_story.html?utm_term=.bfb961317bc1

mafra

Legend
Why renounce Randle and sign Rondo if you?re keeping Ball?

LeBron will never forgive Lavar for commenting on his children. Lonzo not that good enough anyway, so LJ will flex his clout and run him out of town.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Why renounce Randle and sign Rondo if you?re keeping Ball?

LeBron will never forgive Lavar for commenting on his children. Lonzo not that good enough anyway, so LJ will flex his clout and run him out of town.

This. Plus Lebron is not gonna allow Lavar Ball to profit from being around him or get drawn into his Circus/Reality TV bs. Lonzo might as well start packing. Maybe this experience will teach Lonzo that he must distance himself from his idiot father to allow his own NBA career to blossom. Shame that Lavar steals the the shine from Lonzo in such a negative way. Lonzo seems like an ok kid but it?s like that cute girl that you would mind dating, but her dad is crazy. No thanks.

paris401

Starter
And that’s fine but we are going to have $$$$ for next years’ free agent class summer 2019. Name one major star that has said he wants to be a Knick? The only name I have heard is Kyrie Irving...

haha... but we have frank nitti's, and burke and mud , and lets not 4get opie (baker)- with that extra $$$ next year, we can extend tim... and maybe lee toooo - i have doubts that any top tier FA is coming to 33rd st and 7th ave...

jimkcchief88

All Star
haha... but we have frank nitti's, and burke and mud , and lets not 4get opie (baker)- with that extra $$$ next year, we can extend tim... and maybe lee toooo - i have doubts that any top tier FA is coming to 33rd st and 7th ave...

Me too maybe Kyrie who knows but it seems after Lebron spurned NYC in 2010 and plus our ?Melodrama? has turned NYC into a hoops purgatory. Guys like to play in the Garden but don?t want to call it home. Fail Jackson was supposed to help change that and failed miserably. Bad owner=bad franchise=bad team:(