Knicks Pre-season

tiger0330

Legend
Well Knicks fans, training camp opens this TUES Sept 25, heres the preseason schedule and our first regular season game is at MSG against the Hawks on Oct. 17.

The Knicks had a very promising draft with Knox, Robinson and Trier and our new coach Fiz has me excited as well. Looking forward to seeing Nits come fast out of the gate with Knox saying he's been more aggressive in his play along with him being 6'6.5" inches now and looking very cut gaining 15 lbs of muscle. If he plays PG, he'll be a matchup nightmare against smaller opponent's. The Knicks have had 14 guys playing at the Westchester facility all summer so they have a head start heading into training camp and I think it speaks well about the commitment of our young team. Realistically I don't expect making the playoffs with KP out for perhaps the entire season but they're headed in the right direction.

Lets go Knicks.

attachment.php

Attachments

• preseason schedule.jpg
    preseason schedule.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
The Knicks are loaded with 20 decent players in Training-Camp to pull out a decent performing season in the weak East.
All the skepticism plus the off the wall comments of the young Knicks only winning 25 games in the 2018-19 season will become a low rated optimistic comment on a Knicks team that got together early in the offseason to fully prepare for training-camp, preseason, and the start of regular season.

What Knicks player or players you are most excited to see this year ???

Well we have a fresh 20 year old and two 19 year olds ....

Frank - I would like to see everything he worked on in the offseason, plus he added height, and bulk, to his advantage.
Burke - Has showed he is HUNGRY, and have the ability to run an offense, plus play respectable defense. I am looking forward to see if Burke makes a hard case for us not to look at signing the one dimensional Kyrie Irving or any other high priced PG in the 2019 offseason.
Knox - for being our first round pick.
Mitchell- for showing us in the SL games his performance are a top-10 pick.

tiger0330

Legend
If you missed Media Day heres the YouTube Video. I said I was looking for 3 things from Fiz this season. Conditioning, Defense and ball movement and it looks like the conditioning message got through with Mudiay, Frank and Trey mentioning it as an emphasis this off season.

These 3 are going to battle for that PG spot, should be the highlight of camp to see who wins that spot. Looks like there's a bromance between Hezonja and Nits with Mario saying Frank is his guy and he admires how much he's worked to improve his game and body this off-season. Wants to help him out as much as he can to develop as a player as well. I'm expecting a fast start from him and tremendous improvement from a so so rookie season.

No buyout for Noah announced yet but its going happen, the guy wasn't ever in Westchester over the summer and is not expected at camp. I guess the Knicks are haggling about money looking to get a writeoff of 4.8M and him offering nothing or only 2.4M. I said he was arguably one of the top 5 busts in Knicks history but some writer said he was arguably the worst FA signing in Knicks history.

If you missed Media Day heres the YouTube Video. I said I was looking for 3 things from Fiz this season. Conditioning, Defense and ball movement and it looks like the conditioning message got through with Mudiay, Frank and Trey mentioning it as an emphasis this off season.

These 3 are going to battle for that PG spot, should be the highlight of camp to see who wins that spot. Looks like there's a bromance between Hezonja and Nits with Mario saying Frank is his guy and he admires how much he's worked to improve his game and body this off-season. Wants to help him out as much as he can to develop as a player as well. I'm expecting a fast start from him and tremendous improvement from a so so rookie season.

No buyout for Noah announced yet but its going happen, the guy wasn't ever in Westchester over the summer and is not expected at camp. I guess the Knicks are haggling about money looking to get a writeoff of 4.8M and him offering nothing or only 2.4M. I said he was arguably one of the top 5 busts in Knicks history but some writer said he was arguably the worst FA signing in Knicks history.

The only Knicks free agent signing that you could argue is even close to as big a disaster as Noah is Jerome James.

Kiyaman

Legend
Wow! I see some hungry Knick players in media-day, and training camp ....

Kanter's nipples are hard to give us a double-double on a nightly basis LMAO ..
The Knicks management are going onto their 6th season in a row being the WEAKEST front court team in the NBA ..
The Knicks consistent small-ball lineups (3 or 4 guard lineup) season after season by 4 different head coaches lead the Knicks to average a 29 win season the past 4 seasons.
Kanter will need 3 more BIGS in the front court rotation this season, because Center Quinn left the Knicks in offseason to go play his original position as a PF/center on the Pacers, plus the Knick management (Mills/Perry) are looking to buyout Joakim Noah, something we should have had notice when the new coach Fizdale open speech mention Lance Thomas as our Draymond Green LMFAO .. And Fizdale has never mention the name of Knicks 11 yr experience $19M Noah's name throughout the entire offseason in any of his coaching plans.
I guess we have to settle with having Luke Kornet as our backup center SMH

Mitchell Robinson didn't speak on media-day, and I select Mitch Robinson 2-Way performance to replace KP at the stretch-forward spot this season so Kanter could shoot a couple of 3s in lineups having rookie Mitch Robinson play at the PF spot.
Noah Vonleh did not speak at media-day either, and we will need Vonleh to step up his performance in the paint grabbing excessive amounts of rebounds giving opponents one shot on offense.

Keven Knox sounds like he is hungry for his rookie season, In training camp it looks like Knox is also looking for an experience veteran teammate to mentor-ship him throughout the season to prepare him to play 80 successful games one game at a time without hitting the rookie-wall.
Super Mario got some Kobe moves to share as a point-forward .. Knox n Mario should grab all the minutes at SF spot.

Lee and THJ looks the same as last season, Fiz need to keep both at the SG position only!

Trey Burke sound prepared to give us a consistent all-star performance for the Knick future starter job running the point.
Mudiay looking physically ready for the challenge of scoring n meshing for the Knick future starter job leading the point.

The Next-Level Frank Ntilikina's sound n look physically ready to work on having a 2-Way performance by playing multi-position throughout the 2018-19 season to hear Fans yell "Frank for MVP !!!
GO Knicks !!!

Kiyaman

Legend
David Fizdale says Mitchell Robinson has been playing well in workouts/practices and asking ?great questions? to Knicks coaches about plays and technique. ?I just feel like this kid is going to take off in this kind of structure,? Fizdale said.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DoB2urkXkAAUr7L.jpg

I wonder why the Knicks are keeping Mitchell Robinson away from interviews .. when Robinson skills n position were more of a need for the Knicks as a team on draft night than our 9th selection of Knox .. but then again .. our rotation desperately need Knox wide shoulders n height n quick athleticism at the SF position to split all the SF minutes with Super Mario doing a Hezonja-Kobe.
Personally, i do not want to see any more 3 guard rotation having Timmy or Lee at the SF position on offensive end .. I want to see how well Keven Knox adapt to some of the Atlantic Divison opposing defenders Tatum, Simmons, and Kawhi at the beginning then end of season.

Regular season Starters ....
Who will win the starting PG role?
Trey Burke sounding confident?
Mudiay looking built as a rock to play a hard physical game on both side of the court?
I would like for Frank Nitty to get the 6th Man award for playing multi-position while improving his 2-Way performance.
Frank being able to defend 3 positions, i wish we had Noah n Lance barking from the bench out to others on the floor to help frank by guarding n defending their man consistently. Frank is great at locking his man down, especially PG. I recall many games last season no matter how well Frank locked down the man he was guarding the guy always had a wide open man to throw the ball to for a easy shot.
I blame that on our head coach, and our so-call defensive vets Lee n Lance.

Who will win the starting SG role?
Timmy? or Lee?

Who will win the starting SF role?
The 19 yr old rookie Knox?
Super Mario?
Lance Thomas?

Who will win the starting PF role?
Noah Vonleh has been silently quite as a Knick?
Mitchell Robinson will need a season of playing time coming off the bench to learn how to stay out of foul-trouble by playing opponents 2nd unit lineups?
Lance Thomas? SMH
Personally, I believe the Knicks PF position has been empty, weak, and non-invoid since the day ISO-Melo arrived in NY.

Who will win the starting Center role?
Hard Nipple Enes Kanter?
Luke Kornet?
Mitchell Robinson?
Or will Noah force his way into training camp n preseason games (like Amare did) to play for the starting role?

Kiyaman

Legend
Knicks news on Face-book ....

Fizdale does have a bias regarding height at the shooting guard and small forward slots. In July, Fizdale said he wasn?t crazy about the Hardaway Jr.-Courtney Lee pairing because of size issues. And he?s standing by that, making it unlikely the Knicks will go with that smallball alignment ? which is bad news for Lee.

?I would prefer to have somebody bigger at that spot. I have a couple of big guys who can play that spot now,?? Fizdale said. ?So let?s see who fights it out and figures it out for us.?

Fizdale was referring to two newcomers, 6?8 free-agent signee Mario Hezonja and 6?9 lottery pick Kevin Knox. The alignment for the first preseason game in Washington on Monday is hardly a guarantee on the season-opening night lineup Oct. 17 vs. Atlanta.

The Knicks play five preseason games and things can change up till the last day.

?Oh gosh, probably after the last preseason game,?? Fizdale said on when he?ll make his decision. ?Because a guy might play great or do a great job the first game then not show up the next three or four, but another guy plays awful early and he starts revving it up late.

?I don?t think it?s fair for me to start making decisions until we get out of training camp. Training camp for me is all the way up until the end.?

David Fizdale says Emmanuel Mudiay has improved his shot over the summer. Plus
?He doesn?t turn the ball over, he?s probably the lowest turnover guy in camp right now?

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks news on Face-book ....

Fizdale does have a bias regarding height at the shooting guard and small forward slots. In July, Fizdale said he wasn’t crazy about the Hardaway Jr.-Courtney Lee pairing because of size issues. And he’s standing by that, making it unlikely the Knicks will go with that smallball alignment — which is bad news for Lee.
Fiz might have a bias about smaller guys playing the 3 but CLee is probably one of his 3 best players so a taller rookie is going to have to take the job from him. Right now I see him starting being the Knicks best 3 pt shooter and solid defender, so if THJ wins a starting spot you're looking at that small wing lineup you had last season.

tiger0330

Legend
If Lee is still on our roster, let alone starting for us, when the season starts, something is wrong.
My bet is he's still here and starting at either at SG or SF. I expect Fiz to give the rooks, Nits, Trey, Mudiay and Mario plenty of playing time but none of those guys are better than CLee at this point.

Kiyaman

Legend
My bet is he's still here and starting at either at SG or SF. I expect Fiz to give the rooks, Nits, Trey, Mudiay and Mario plenty of playing time but none of those guys are better than CLee at this point.

For the starting SG spot, Fizdale could toss a coin in the air to decide between a one-dimension Timmy, or a one-dimension Lee?
The two players (Tim & Lee) has never showed me they have the ability to perform on a winning level, both players has showed to be inconsistent in a Knick uniform, plus both players are far away from being a 2-Way player nor could they perform at multi-positions in the NBA. I dont care how much money the two players make both of their performances has graded a C- minus in my book.

I been a Knick fan for way to long to believe Fizdale comment below ..
David Fizdale was adamant on contract & seniority won't influence the Knicks' starting lineup.
“No one is promised a starting position. I got freedom to do what I want to do from my bosses over there. So it’s open. Don’t matter if you make a lot of money or you make a little money."
We all know if Tired-KP were healthy right now our mismanagement (Mills/Perry) would have him in the starter lineup.
To this very day, i have not seen one game in 3 season where injury-prone Porzingis performance showed he had starter talent in the NBA.

I really don't want to see any of our young core players Frank, Knox, Mitch, or Trier in the starter lineup until late mid-season, it does not matter how well they perform coming out the gate. The Knicks mismanagement and their many puppet coaches has not been able to get 4 experience veteran players to mesh well together to build a starting lineup within the past 4 seasons.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
"As everybody knows this competition is really healthy," Ntilikina said after Thursday's practice. "We all want what is best for the team."
"Frank Ntilikina has spent training camp competing against Trey Burke, two guards with two different body types and two different skillsets.
Along with Emmanuel Mudiay, they're battling for the starting point guard role.
David Fizdale has emphasized that all starting spots are open to competition, which means Ntilikina, Burke and Mudiay each have a chance to earn the job."

"As for Kevin Knox's progress, David Fizdale said he needs to see him in the preseason games to get a better idea of how he's doing. "Practice is practice. Summer league is summer league. Until the lights are on, we won’t know how these kids deal with this stuff."

"Asked Lance Thomas what he's seen from Kevin Knox this week: "He wants to be good, he wants to know the specifics. He wants to have an immediate impact. ...From the way he’s working right now, I think he can."

"Courtney Lee has a strained neck and did not practice today."

"David Fizdale had some very good things to say about Allonzo Trier today. "The kid can put the ball in the hole and since we’ve had him, he’s had six chase-down blocks. The LeBron block.."

Kiyaman

Legend
If Lee is still on our roster, let alone starting for us, when the season starts, something is wrong.

I agree with Tiger .. I see the Knicks keeping Lee's defensive experience this season to make up for our 30 minute non-defensive Timmy in the backcourt.
Although, last season the two guards couldn't mesh together for millions of bucks SMH!
Do u think coach Thibs are interested in Timmy or Lee or both for Butler ???

Kiyaman

Legend
Ian Begley .. been taking a lot notes on the Knicks training camp
ESPN Staff Writer

A look at a few drills at the end of Knicks practice:
http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=24825108

Several Knicks have mentioned that David Fizdale doesn't want them to dwell on turnovers, something they seem to appreciate. "When you know you can play through mistakes as a player that's all you can ask for," Trey Burke said. "You're not looking over your shoulder every time you might turn the ball over, every time you do something wrong." Adds Emmanuel Mudiay, who lost around 10 pounds in the offseason, "You don't put too much pressure on yourself to play robotic." The Knicks are a young group learning a new system, so it makes sense for the coaching staff to not harp on every mistake. One thing that Fizdale will get on his players about? A lack of energy or intensity.

Kevin Knox on the adjustment from playing in Summer League to competing in an NBA training camp. "It's totally different than Summer League – playing against guys who've played, 7, 8, 12 years. They move better. They know some little tricks, veteran tricks.... There's more tactics, more pace – offensively defensively. Just moves. A lot of stuff just doesn't work as (it did) in Summer League. You got to be able to adjust it." David Fizdale said it took one day for Knox to get accustomed to playing against veterans in training camp. In the Knicks' second practice, Fizdale said Knox was "right back to looking like he belongs." Knox says he's been getting feedback from all Knick veterans, mentioning Lance Thomas, Courtney Lee and Tim Hardaway Jr. in particular. "They're always talking to me, making sure I'm on top of everything," the rookie said.

David Fizdale on Emmanuel Mudiay: "He's been steady. He's been really great at pushing our pace and organizing us. His shot has improved over the summer. He doesn't turn the ball over. He's probably the lowest turnover guy in camp right now. Just making the right play all of the time." For those of us guessing at potential Knicks lineups, Fizdale said he always wants two ball-handlers in his lineups and he sees Tim Hardaway Jr. as a guard who can handle the ball. Fizdale also doesn't want anyone holding the ball too long on offense. "One second hold. If you can't get it done in one second, get off it," he said. "There's four other guys out there that are very capable."

Live Practice ....
https://youtu.be/BcS2kgWx2Kg

tiger0330

Legend
I read we may see a starting lineup of:

Trey
THJ
Hezonja
Lance
Kanter

in the game Monday. That's a lineup that doesn't even get you 30 wins in the NBA if that's the starting lineup in the regular season.

Trey
THJ
Hezonja
Lance
Kanter

in the game Monday. That's a lineup that doesn't even get you 30 wins in the NBA if that's the starting lineup in the regular season.

Wow, that?s awful.

2nd unit is Ntilikina, Mudiay, Lee, Knox, and Mitchell Robinson, maybe? Maybe Trier in there instead with all the practice praise he has been getting? Baker, Dotson, Hicks, Kornet, and Vonleh hoping to get some minutes as well?

If KP doesn?t come back this season, this is a team that could lose 60 games.

Broadway

All Star

Trey
THJ
Hezonja
Lance
Kanter

I believe this based on the scrimmage before fans at The Garden. Appears that's who was on the floor in 5 man units

tiger0330

Legend
I believe this based on the scrimmage before fans at The Garden. Appears that's who was on the floor in 5 man units
Still a starting lineup that might lose you 60 games like htr10 said. No doubt things may change, I just hope the rookies, Nits and Mudiay step up.

Kiyaman

Legend

Trey
THJ
Hezonja
Lance
Kanter

I hope not that is a awful starting lineup .. the way Mudiay played in practice yesterday he would be my starting PG in the backcourt if Timmy the starter SG.
I like Super Mario as our starter SF.
Lance Thomas (opposite of Draymond Green) still look lost on both sides of the court yesterday in practice .. Lance performance is still the 15th man on the roster.
I was hoping we get some big-man coaching help in the offseason to develop Hicks and FA Noah Vonleh to become dependable rebounders and shot-blockers to start alongside of Kanter.

In the SL games Mitchell Robinson and Keven Knox performed like they would be great role bench players as a PF & SF in a lineup in the regular season games. Mitchell Robinson biggest weakness in the SL games were committing numerous fouls, im hoping coach Fizdale would be smart by not playing Robinson at the center position until late midseason in his rookie season. Robinson need to learn whats needed at the center position in the NBA by playing alongside of Kanter and Kornet.

My Knicks FINISHERS in the regular season games are Frank, Trey, Knox, Robinson, and Kanter .. I would win or lose with that lineup in the 4th quarter this season !!!