Knicks Pre-season

mafra

Legend
Frank had a nice night... a half triple double.... lol. Still, the highlights showed his potential and the subtle thing showed his usefulness.

In 3 years, Frank is going to be almost 6?8, solid muscle, comfortable and confident.

Mitchell reminded me of a young Marcus Camry tonight.

tiger0330

Legend
Vonleh has looked good, hit a 3 with pretty good form. Fiz doing too much experimenting for a final preseason game to expect any other results besides getting stomped on by the Nets. Nits not having a bad game but he looks to be coming off the bench this season. Knox I think gets the starting job but he could play himself back to the bench if he slumps. That's going to be a good game against the Hawks, Trae is fun to watch.

Heard Fiz post-game and looks like he's going with KK as the starter despite his struggles the last 3 games, he's going with his double double games the first 2 games as the reason to start him. Willing to let him struggle for the learning experience but leaves open the option to change the lineup if he struggles too much. The starting PG has not been decided, him and his staff will evaluate film and make a decision but he's confident any of the guys can handle the assignment.

mafra

Legend
If this truly a rebuilding year, then the focus has to be on player development. Knicks have to play the kids heavy minutes... heavy usage... let them sink or slim and be molded by slumps and failures.

Knits, Knox, and Mitchell should be the cornerstones...

We need to discover if Mario, Burke, Vonleh, or Mudiay have a bright future (or if they have reached their ceiling already).

What about Trier, Dotson, Hicks or Kornet... sleepers or D-Leaguers?

THjr, LT and Kanter... vet leaders or just stat stuffers?

Kiyaman

Legend
Heard Fiz post-game and looks like he's going with KK as the starter despite his struggles the last 3 games, he's going with his double double games the first 2 games as the reason to start him. Willing to let him struggle for the learning experience but leaves open the option to change the lineup if he struggles too much. The starting PG has not been decided, him and his staff will evaluate film and make a decision but he's confident any of the guys can handle the assignment.

If Fizdale put FortKnox in the starter lineup in the season opener, then i would have to say Fizdale is still a rookie head coach!
Which means a PUPPET Headcoach !!!
Rookie FortKnox entire preseason performance were UGLY (5 fouls in 12 minute !!!) ....
I dont believe rookies should be put in the starting lineup in the first half of a NBA season, starting a rookie in the 2nd half of a NBA season are more exceptionable.
However, there is a difference (Last year Boston Celtics started rookie Tatum) .. if a NBA team are starting the season having 4 NBA veteran starters in their starter lineup, then yes! that NBA team could afford to experiment by putting a rookie in the starter lineup surrounded by four veteran-starter teammates at the start of the season.

I still dont consider Timmy a starter on the Knicks, especially when we have Courtney Lee on the roster.
Butt .. Mills signed Timmy to starter minute pay SMFH!
Timmy's best performance (on Knicks and the Hawks) were always coming off the bench to bring energy to the offense.
We didnt see Courtney Lee in any of the preseason games (neck injury DNP), I'm guessing around the 10th game or beginning of November we may see Courtney Lee on the court. Recall, last season every NBA team (even Nets) out-played the Knicks on both side of the court when the Knicks had Timmy & Lee in the same lineup.

FortKnox poor preseason performance also pushed Mario Hezonja or Noah Vonleh into the starting lineup at SF to start the Knick season.

A Fan would think a NEW head-coach would have decided his season starting PG and SG weeks before training-camp open.
So far the best tandem-guards in the preseason games were :
Frank & Burke
Mudiay & Timmy
Mudiay & Trier
Frank & Trier wid Timmy at SF
The tandem of Trier & Dotson looked great for the Westchester G.League

KNICKS MOB

Benchwarmer
Frank had a nice night... a half triple double.... lol. Still, the highlights showed his potential and the subtle thing showed his usefulness.

In 3 years, Frank is going to be almost 6’8, solid muscle, comfortable and confident.

Mitchell reminded me of a young Marcus Camry tonight.

Exactly the reason why we shouldn't trade Frank

KNICKS MOB

Benchwarmer
If Fizdale put FortKnox in the starter lineup in the season opener, then i would have to say Fizdale is still a rookie head coach!
Which means a PUPPET Headcoach !!!
Rookie FortKnox entire preseason performance were UGLY (5 fouls in 12 minute !!!) ....
I dont believe rookies should be put in the starting lineup in the first half of a NBA season, starting a rookie in the 2nd half of a NBA season are more exceptionable.
However, there is a difference (Last year Boston Celtics started rookie Tatum) .. if a NBA team are starting the season having 4 NBA veteran starters in their starter lineup, then yes! that NBA team could afford to experiment by putting a rookie in the starter lineup surrounded by four veteran-starter teammates at the start of the season.

I still dont consider Timmy a starter on the Knicks, especially when we have Courtney Lee on the roster.
Butt .. Mills signed Timmy to starter minute pay SMFH!
Timmy's best performance (on Knicks and the Hawks) were always coming off the bench to bring energy to the offense.
We didnt see Courtney Lee in any of the preseason games (neck injury DNP), I'm guessing around the 10th game or beginning of November we may see Courtney Lee on the court. Recall, last season every NBA team (even Nets) out-played the Knicks on both side of the court when the Knicks had Timmy & Lee in the same lineup.

FortKnox poor preseason performance also pushed Mario Hezonja or Noah Vonleh into the starting lineup at SF to start the Knick season.

A Fan would think a NEW head-coach would have decided his season starting PG and SG weeks before training-camp open.
So far the best tandem-guards in the preseason games were :
Frank & Burke
Mudiay & Timmy
Mudiay & Trier
Frank & Trier wid Timmy at SF
The tandem of Trier & Dotson looked great for the Westchester G.League

its Fizdale's first year here, cut him some slack.

I think that when he came in he had a small clue of who he wanted to start. But I also feel the obvious starters may have played themselves out of a starting spot.

Trier and Dotson should not be sent down to the minors. I hope they get minutes this season so we can see what type of talent they truly have.

mafra

Legend
Mario Hezonja is playing for his next contract, but first, he?s playing for his new teammates. Hezonja has avoided any temptation to try to put up numbers.

In fact, by design, Hezonja took his first preseason with the Knicks slowly, trying to feel out new teammates and not force anything.

When the Knicks open their season at the Garden on Wednesday against the Hawks, the 23-year-old Croatian will come off the bench after a quiet preseason.

?It?s not about me trying to show off immediately and do some crazy stuff,? Hezonja told The Post. ?I?m being overly patient, trying to play for my teammates, trying to see who I fit with. It?s a new kind of team. I don?t want to be an a?hole to anybody. I?m just trying to figure out my own team. I know I can hold myself up easily. I was trying figure out the environment.?

In preseason, the 6-foot-9 Hezonja averaged eight points, one assist and 2.2 turnovers in 20 minutes per game, shooting a modest 42.4 percent. He didn?t make any starts ? with Lance Thomas winning the starting power-forward job.

The unveiling of ?Super Mario? ? his self-proclaimed moniker ? will come later.

?It?s exactly where my mindset was,? Hezonja said. ?I wasn?t like: ?Here, guys, this is me and I?m going to show you who I am.? I feel we have great people in the locker room who hang out off the court. I don?t want to be bad chemistry. We?re all friends and the veterans are trying to help me.?

tiger0330

Legend
So we're looking at a starting lineup of:

Kanter
LT
KK
THJ
? most likely Trey

That lineup isn't scaring anyone, I think we lose our first game to the Hawks by at least 10 pts.

mafra

Legend
I wonder, predominately, if we have 2 split lineups (minutewise, for the most part this season), one with mostly vets and another the kids... or do mix and sprinkle them together?

Knits
Hardaway
Thomas
Kanter
Vonleh

With Mudiay and Ron B,

Burke
Trier
Super Mario
Knox
Mitchell

With Dotson, Hicks, and Kornet

If we go this route we both compete and develop, concurrently. One lineup is experienced and gritty... tough-minded, defensive group. The other is open the floor and go score points...

Letting the kids bond by playing the majority of their minutes together banks equity for the future.

tiger0330

Legend
Knits
Hardaway
Thomas
Kanter
Vonleh

Mafra - I actually like this starting lineup better than the one Fiz is talking about putting out there on Wed. Put Nits out there at PG and see if he can shut down Trey like Mike Conley did in the pre-season. Burke didn't win the job, stop babying the kid, we drafted him as a PG let him prove he isn't.

mafra

Legend
Nobody is expecting the Knicks to be a playoff contender this season without Kristaps Porzingis, but prognosticators are predicting that things are going to be pretty bleak this season.

Per FiveThirtyEight's CARMELO system, which factors each player's future performance based on trajectory of similar NBA players, the Knicks are expected to finish dead last in the league, with a 23-59 record and one percent chance of reaching the playoffs.

It would mark the sixth straight season the Knicks fail to reach the playoffs, but the good news is that they could potentially land the No. 1 overall pick in next year's NBA draft.

Kiyaman

Legend
If this truly a rebuilding year, then the focus has to be on player development. Knicks have to play the kids heavy minutes... heavy usage... let them sink or slim and be molded by slumps and failures.

Knits, Knox, and Mitchell should be the cornerstones...

We need to discover if Mario, Burke, Vonleh, or Mudiay have a bright future (or if they have reached their ceiling already).

What about Trier, Dotson, Hicks or Kornet... sleepers or D-Leaguers?

THjr, LT and Kanter... vet leaders or just stat stuffers?

So true .. this is a rebuilding season again!
Why didnt the brains in the Knicks front office hire the 2017-18 NBA Coach of the Year (Dwayne Casey)?
And let Dwayne Casey decide if he needed Fizdale as an assistant-coach?

I am not happy having an inexperience head coach Fizdale rebuild/develop our young-core Knick team !!!
The Knicks ten young-core players (Knox/Robinson/Trier/Dotson/Frank/Baker/Kornet/Mudiay/Mario/Vonleh) need a veteran-coaching staff that will get over half of these young-core players performing on the Same-Page Ballin by the end of the season. I do not see a inexperience head coach Fizdale doing any better than last season inexperience head coach Hornacek.

The 2018-19 Knicks are rebuilding several young players from the age of 19 to 23 yrs of age .. some of these young players need to develop their performance from performing in the same 5 man lineup game after game to develop a same-page chemistry with teammates. Im sorry, but mixing players in a rotation like coach Fiz did throughout the preseason games will not get the Knicks team many wins in the regular season, nor will it have the players performing as a team by the end of the season.

What I expected, and what a few other Knick fans expected to see from the Knicks in the preseason games we did not see.
In the Knicks preseason games I expected to see coach Fizdale pair off the guards into tandems to fight for the starter backcourt position .. Frank & Burke vs Mudiay & Timmy vs Baker & Trier.
I also expected the same type of pairing off between Center & Power-Forward .. Kanter & Lance vs Kornet & Vonleh vs Robinson & Hicks.
Our 19 yr old top draft pick Fort Knox let us down in the preseason games every time he was in a lineup without a center or PF .. forcing the 19 yr old Knox to perform at the center and PF position .... Fizdale ???

Kiyaman

Legend
Nobody is expecting the Knicks to be a playoff contender this season without Kristaps Porzingis, but prognosticators are predicting that things are going to be pretty bleak this season.

Per FiveThirtyEight's CARMELO system, which factors each player's future performance based on trajectory of similar NBA players, the Knicks are expected to finish dead last in the league, with a 23-59 record and one percent chance of reaching the playoffs.

It would mark the sixth straight season the Knicks fail to reach the playoffs, but the good news is that they could potentially land the No. 1 overall pick in next year's NBA draft.

I wish a lot of fans and media type would stop writing/talking like the Knicks would win more games this season if KP were healthy to play. No they wouldn't!
KP and Melo together average two 30 win season .. the Knicks won 29 games without Melo, and a half a season from KP last season.
And yes, the Mismanagement-Knicks has missed the playoffs for 6 straight seasons, plus the Knicks been in a Rebuild-mode each of those 6 seasons.

tiger0330

Legend
I wish a lot of fans and media type would stop writing/talking like the Knicks would win more games this season if KP were healthy to play. No they wouldn't!
KP and Melo together average two 30 win season .. the Knicks won 29 games without Melo, and a half a season from KP last season.
And yes, the Mismanagement-Knicks has missed the playoffs for 6 straight seasons, plus the Knicks been in a Rebuild-mode each of those 6 seasons.
Pacers just signed Turner to a 4yr/72M deal and it seems to be a given that the Knicks are going to give Porzingis 154M despite not playing half of the season last year and possibly missing the entire season last year. To tell you the truth, I would rather have MT at his salary than Porzingis for 150M, at least the Knicks aren't extending him this year and his brother isn't making waves demanding the Knicks extend him now. Still if he misses the entire season, that's a big question mark signing a guy coming off a serious knee injury to a max deal.

Kiyaman

Legend
I guess I have to be the first one to admit .. I have not seen any type of system on offense from Fizdale throughout the preseason games! Fizdale had the Knick players perform to much ISO ball for me.
How many times did we set Knox up to succeed during preseason?
How many guys got picks to set them up for a pass from a PG and quick jumper? Not many!
How many times did we see ball rotation and screens to get players open for 3 ball shot?
I will be truthful .. I hated all 6 seasons of ISO-Melo ISO-Ball for 40 minute a game!
I do not want to see 48 minute of coach Fizdale ISO-ball system throughout the season ..
I dont care if the ISO-system helped the Knick win 3 out of 5 preseason games. That's Preseason !!!

Wargames

Starter
The first 2 games the knicks were running pace and space but without Kanter to get a **** ton of rebounds that system fell apart. There have to be Good rebounders in that system to get the team moving in transition. Mitch is a good rebounder but so raw it makes a ton of sense to put him in the G league for at least a few weeks/months to be developed.

So without Kanter the system turned to crud,

Then you have to play good defense because you have to force opponents to make bad shots for their to be rebound opportunities. So without both Lance and Frank out there to defend the Defense went to ****.

So I expect the knicks to play well enough with the starters and then go to **** with the bench. playing. Mario is in a bad place too cause he looked good in pace and space but the only lineup that could hold it together involves kanter, Frank, and Lance, and Knox is suppose to get minutes with them. Knox looked good in the system too so it makes sense.

Long story short we're going to be bad because only like like 5 people ran the system, 4 of them can only play at a time, and the other 3 guys who will see minutes (timmy, Trier, and Burke) are gonna iso/heat check their way through their minutes.

The only real shining light through this is the Knicks have their own draft pick for the 3rd year in a row!!!!

tiger0330

Legend
This is the lineup I think the Hawks go with opening night. That lineup may not be a playoff team in the EC but I think will beat the boys opening night.

Trae
Bazemore
Prince
Collins
Len

Kiyaman

Legend
The first 2 games the knicks were running pace and space but without Kanter to get a **** ton of rebounds that system fell apart. There have to be Good rebounders in that system to get the team moving in transition. Mitch is a good rebounder but so raw it makes a ton of sense to put him in the G league for at least a few weeks/months to be developed.

So without Kanter the system turned to crud,

Then you have to play good defense because you have to force opponents to make bad shots for their to be rebound opportunities. So without both Lance and Frank out there to defend the Defense went to ****.

So I expect the knicks to play well enough with the starters and then go to **** with the bench. playing. Mario is in a bad place too cause he looked good in pace and space but the only lineup that could hold it together involves kanter, Frank, and Lance, and Knox is suppose to get minutes with them. Knox looked good in the system too so it makes sense.

Long story short we're going to be bad because only like like 5 people ran the system, 4 of them can only play at a time, and the other 3 guys who will see minutes (timmy, Trier, and Burke) are gonna iso/heat check their way through their minutes.

The only real shining light through this is the Knicks have their own draft pick for the 3rd year in a row!!!!

Good point on Kanter .. It was obvious last season how important Kanter became to the starter lineup, last season if Kanter & Quinn had some more help in the paint on defense from the PF position the Knicks could have stayed above .450 team.

Mitchell Robinson growth need to play all 82 games this season performing at the PF spot a long side Kornet/or Kanter, and perform at the Center spot next to forward Vonleh. Coach Fizdale will have to put our 3 best defenders (Michell Robinson, Lance, and Frank) in the same lineup to mesh together on defense, plus experiment without using Timmy, by putting our 2 scoring-guards Burke & Trier in that same lineup to control the tempo.

The Knicks has a roster of young-core players that need to be in a 10+ rotation throughout the 82 game season.
There's no breaking down the Knicks rotation to 7 or 8 or 9 players a game in the 2018-19 season ..
If Fizdale break the rotation down to 9 or less players it means the Knicks are TANKING!
The Knicks does not have 2 meshing players on the roster Fizdale could give 30 minute of playing time to.
The Knicks are a 2 unit team .. How Fizdale coach the Starters, and how Fizdale play the bench players will have a lot to do with the outcome of the Knicks season.