Home opener: New York Knicks vs Atlanta Hawks 7:30 10/17/2018 [Game #1]

KNICKS MOB

Benchwarmer
Some nice shots from Hezonja. I’ll tell you what, teams are going to have to play defense against us because we have no limit of guys who are out there to get their points. I think the Hawks, who are bad, minus 2 starters is probably the main reason behind our success tonight, but this team has looked cohesive and prepared.

Very true. Lets see how we do against the Nets. If we come out with the same intensity then expect another blowout.

Kiyaman

Legend
Knicks lead 72 - 49 at the half. Too early for the Hawks to fire their coach? Too early to make Fizdale coach of the year? Knicks with 49 points in the 2nd quarter, which is an all-time Knicks record. I knew Fizdale was going to have this team ready to play, but I did not see this coming at all.

So True .. I knew the Knicks would beat the (Lottery) Hawks .. Butt I did not see a Knick team Blowing-Out the Hawks on Opener night .. WOW!
GO Knicks !!!
Burke & Kanter worked well together .. we gonna need those two to keep on meshing together to learn to beat the .500 teams throughout the season.

Performance I've liked best is Trier out of all our guys. Rookie in his 1st game 15 pts in 14 minutes, great 1st game, say goodbye to either Mudiay or Dotson in Dec.

WOW! the Knicks got a young exciting undraft star-baller on their roster name Trier ..
Trier is the TRUTH !!!
I hope Fizdale notice the quick-scoring we get from Trier!
I could work with the tandem of Baker & Trier as Knicks guards in the rotation this season ..
Rookie Triers dynamic performance has been having me over look the 19 yr old Knox performance.

mafra

Legend
Are they the team that missed their first 9 shots to start the game? Or who turned a 28 point blow out into a 13 point deficit in the third quarter?

Are they the team who erupted for a 49 point second quarter? Shot 19-28. Second most scored in a single quarter in franchise history?

There didn?t seem like much of a talent drop off from anybody in the first 11 or 12 guys. Fizdale preached conditioning and playing with effort and having a connection with your teammates.

Knits impacted the game defensively. Rained a smooth three and juked Prince with a nasty crossover as he took it to the rim.

I credit Vonleh and Super Mario for setting the tone. Mario made a concerted effort to set up people, he forced a few turnovers with active hands, rained a 3 himself and had a sweet dish to Vonleh. Mr. Umass was tough and physical... This good the team going and the crowd going.

Timmy and Burke were electric. Kanter his usual bull-like self. Trier super smooth. Dunk of the year!!!

It?s only 1 game... it was against ATL... but... we witnessed history tonight. Team was motivated and well-coached and competed hard. Young and full of potential. Sum greater than the parts.

mafra

Legend
Trier is something special. Wow. He?s our Donovan Mitchell baby. Kid can score. And Knits, Vonleh, Mario changes the game doing the little things. This team, sans a superstar, is gonna be fun to watch... win or lose. Fizdale impressed me. This team was ready to play. It?s the opener and a home game and against the worst team... but it?s a start. Hopefully of something.

Kiyaman

Legend
In the 2 losses in the pre-season Kanter didn't play. He plays in the first home game and we've got a blowout, lot of guys dis him despite him being a top 20 PER player but not me, definitely should be in the conversation for resigning esp if the Knicks have a positive season.

Oh hell yeah .. Kanter is a KEEPER!
The Knicks front office trio Dolan/Mills/Perry better be working on resigning Kanter in the offseason.
The Knicks roster are in desperate need of a starting PF to go along side of Kanter in the starting lineup to become a playoff team next season (Clippers 2019 FA Tobias Harris or Celtics FA Markieff Morris).
Lance and Vonleh are decent PF (only) when the Knick opponent has a small lineup on the floor.
KP three year performance has not showed he can perform well inside the paint area as a PF or center vs NBA .500+ teams.
Plus the Knicks need to get the right trainer/coach for rookie Mitchell Robinson (and KP) to learn how to perform at multi-position (center/PF) inside the paint area throughout the 2018-19 season to tandem with Kanter in lineups vs the NBA .500+ teams.
A lot of the Eastern conference teams tandem/or trio big-men front-line has gotten double-double bigger this season .. The top East team Boston Celtics has a habit of playing two PG in their lineups most of the game from having PF like Horford/ Morris/and Hayward.

Last night vs Hawks the Knicks big-men front-line of trio Vonleh/Mario/and Knox in a lineup did very well coming off the bench having a Fire energy on both sides of the court. I dont know how well the Knicks trio bench lineup will succeed vs any of the leagues .500+ teams, but last night they deserve a warm welcome to New York .. Great Team-Ballin Performance !!!

mafra

Legend
Speedy youngsters have Knicks leading one ?non-negotiable? stat

By Marc Berman October 18, 2018 | 6:12pm

Speedy youngsters have Knicks leading one ?non-negotiable? stat

?The Fiz Kids? are No. 1 in the NBA in two things. They are the league?s youngest team with an average age of 24.1 and ? at least after one game ? the fastest.

The Knicks may or may not win 30 games, but they are young, athletic and have a head coach in David Fizdale whose mission is making the Knicks the Phoenix Suns circa the Mike D?Antoni era.

After the season?s first two nights, the 1-0 Knicks ranked No. 1 in pace at 112. That?s 112 possessions in their season-opening win against Atlanta when the Knicks ran like the autumn wind. They piled up 49 second-quarter points and 126 total at the Garden.

?? ADVERTISEMENT ??

?We gotta keep up,? Fizdale said. ?It ain?t just us. It?s non-negotiable now in the league. Everybody is playing fast.??

The Knicks, who face the Nets in Brooklyn on Friday, have the young legs to be atop the pace standings. A new pressing defensive style should enhance their pace stat.

Point guard Trey Burke has wheels. Their three rookies ? Kevin Knox, Mitchell Robinson and Allonzo Trier ? are speed demons.

Tim Hardaway Jr. has always excelled in the open court. Center Enes Kanter is one of the fleetest big men running down court. And backup center Noah Vonleh is a superb athlete.

?We definitely have chance to be because we have a bunch of young guys,? Vonleh said. ?That?s what we have to do. Teams are going to overlook us, but we have to play with energy. We?ll make mistakes, but all the stuff we?ve been doing with the conditioning test Fiz brought in, guys are in pretty good shape to start the season.??

Advertisement

Fizdale preached speed-ball all preseason. But so did former coach Jeff Hornacek. Last season, Hornacek?s Knicks ranked 25th in percentage of transition possessions. After one game, the Knicks rank fifth.

Wednesday the Knicks launched 99 shots. They reached 99 shots just four times in regulation last season. They also took a healthy 33 3-pointers Wednesday.

Prior to last season, the Knicks were hamstrung by Phil Jackson?s triangle and Carmelo Anthony, who didn?t prefer D?Antoni?s speed-ball in New York, but is now playing for him again in Houston.

?We had good moments where the pace was right,?? Trier said. ?We did that to get the correct pace by getting stops on defense to get out and push in transition.?

With the pressure D and emphasis on a fast offense, Fizdale admitted he may go this season with an 11-man rotation. That?s not exactly from the Pat Riley School.

?I?m definitely playing 10,?? said Fizdale, weaned in Miami under Riley. ?And 11 or 12 isn?t too far-fetched. It was easy to play all three bigs. If we?re really sacrificing for each other and giving everything we have offensively and defensively, the way we want to play, it could happen.??

Fizdale used 11 men in the first quarter against Atlanta. The defense helped spur fast breaks, while notching 12 steals and 11 fast-break points.

?We have to,?? Fizdale said of a defensive press. ?We?re not loaded with veteran talent at every position to be able to just sit back and catch people. We have to be disruptive. We have to apply pressure. We have to make conditioning part of the game. And we want to speed up the game, so if we want to make fast decisions that helps them in our pace, because if they miss shots then now we get to go on offense the way we want to.?

?Pressuring the ball 94 feet makes it tough on guys, make them uncomfortable, taking them out of their offense,?? Vonleh added. ?That?s what we want our identity to be all season long.??

Steve Mills and Scott Perry, the Knicks? brain trust, has told the story since last winter. After the Knicks got blitzed at Staples Center by the Lakers, they made a pact to become more athletic, which wasn?t a Jackson priority. The Knicks have done so and are putting athleticism to good use. Seven Knicks hit double figures Wednesday.

?So many different guys involved,?? Fizdale said. ?Everyone seemed OK with the next guy scoring.