Game thread: New York Knicks @ Brooklyn Nets 7:30 10/19/2018 [Game #2]

Broadway

All Star
Good effort. Tough loss. This is how an exciting young team ends up likely losing 50+ games this season. Most teams won’t roll over like the Hawks when you surge at them. Right back at it against the Celtics tomorrow night.

So you're saying we do have a chance for Zion still? I like how this is going

Seriously great game, not mad at all besides our poor defense and ISO Trier...everything else we got more than we bargained for tonight

tiger0330

Legend
Good effort. Tough loss. This is how an exciting young team ends up likely losing 50+ games this season. Most teams won’t roll over like the Hawks when you surge at them. Right back at it against the Celtics tomorrow night.
Celtics look tough. They whipped PHI and Kyrie and Hayward were rusty, maybe the only team that can challenge the Warriors this year. Embiid was funny when asked about the Celtics Sixers rivalry, saying what rivalry, they kick our butts every time up here. He was correct, it looked like the playoffs in this game with the Celts opening up a big lead in the 4th qtr after the Sixers keeping it close after 3.

Broadway

All Star
I get people wanting to keep Kanter long-term, but he is going to warrant a big deal if he plays like this all season. If we resign him and KP gets his extension, that means saying goodbye to signing any other significant free agents I’m guessing.

Yeah we won't have much room unless we trade Lee, nothing has changed since 2 games have been played besides Noah's stretch.

tiger0330

Legend
I get people wanting to keep Kanter long-term, but he is going to warrant a big deal if he plays like this all season. If we resign him and KP gets his extension, that means saying goodbye to signing any other significant free agents I’m guessing.
We can go over the cap with KP signing, the only max guy I'm interested in is Durant. Maybe signing Kanter and someone like Terry Rozier with a max slot is the way to go, I know the Celts would love to keep Rozier but are they going to cough up the 15-20M he's looking for as a backup.

Kiyaman

Legend
I get people wanting to keep Kanter long-term, but he is going to warrant a big deal if he plays like this all season. If we resign him and KP gets his extension, that means saying goodbye to signing any other significant free agents I?m guessing.

We not only have to resign Kanter butt we have to go hard at signing one of the FA Morris brothers to put in the starting lineup with Kanter.
The Knicks loss tonight goes to Fiz having Knox at the PF spot in the 4th quarter when we needed to dominate the boards for the win .. Knox is SCARED of physical contact in the paint just like our injury-prone Tired-KP .. they are not crunch-time players when u need them to attack the offensive-glass and defensive-glass for every rebound !!!

tiger0330

Legend
attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 17

tiger0330

Legend
Didn't play at the same pace as game 1 but I must have seen at least 5 NBA games this season and every one wants to play fast. The new NBA with even Andre Drummond knocking down a 3 pt shot.

Broadway

All Star
Didn't play at the same pace as game 1 but I must have seen at least 5 NBA games this season and every one wants to play fast. The new NBA with even Andre Drummond knocking down a 3 pt shot.

A pace and style of play that may result in Nikola Mirotic being the league leading scorer...exactly the results the new Millennial NBA fan wants to see

Kiyaman

Legend
Thanks Tiger .. for the Game Stat Sheet ....
Another Hornacek/Rambis/Fisher Knick loss ..
Knick Opponents shooting 49% FG, grabbing 55 rebounds, and handing out 22 dimes
Compared to Knick shooting 40% FG, grabbing 36 rebounds, and handing-out 14 dimes

I expected coach Fizdale to play 2 separate lineup in his 11 man rotation again like he did against the Hawks ..
I thought Fiz were going to stick to building chemistry into his starter lineup by having them compete for minute against a bench lineup.
Recall .. it was 5 Knick bench-players that started the 2nd quarter to get 49 points in a quarter in the Hawks game!
I was expecting to see coach Fiz coach a 2nd unit bench lineup tonight to give the young players confidence ..
C/F MitchRob
F Vonleh
F FortKnox
G Trier
G Baker
6th-Man SuperMario

tiger0330

Legend
Thanks Tiger .. for the Game Stat Sheet ....
Another Hornacek/Rambis/Fisher Knick loss ..
Knick Opponents shooting 49% FG, grabbing 55 rebounds, and handing out 22 dimes
Compared to Knick shooting 40% FG, grabbing 36 rebounds, and handing-out 14 dimes

I expected coach Fizdale to play 2 separate lineup in his 11 man rotation again like he did against the Hawks ..
I thought Fiz were going to stick to building chemistry into his starter lineup by having them compete for minute against a bench lineup.
Recall .. it was 5 Knick bench-players that started the 2nd quarter to get 49 points in a quarter in the Hawks game!
I was expecting to see coach Fiz coach a 2nd unit bench lineup tonight to give the young players confidence ..
C/F MitchRob
F Vonleh
F FortKnox
G Trier
G Baker
6th-Man SuperMario
I didn't really analyze the stats but it's amazing we only lost by a bucket. We caused 22 TO's and only had 3 that was what made it close. The Nets had a lot of guys out, losing to them in this division was tough. TOR BOS PHI and NETS in our division, we might finish dead last in the ATL division this season.

mafra

Legend
It was a good game. The team was sluggish and lacked energy in the first half... but they didn?t beat themselves with unforced errors, so they remained in the game despite being dominated on the boards, losing the shooting % battle, and not getting the brakes with the 50/50 plays.

Knits lit the spark in the third quarter, and the team finally played well after the half.
Kanter and THjr were easily 2/3 best players on the floor tonight (either team). Knox was impactful and clutch and played well.

NYK got nothing offensively from the bench (other than Knox). Burke was off, but he made a sweet play setting up Kanter to tie the game with 17 seconds.

Now, this brings me to what most the game, obviously, the Lavert bucket with 1 secon left... why isn?t Knitiklina guarding Lavert?

Hey, Fizdale, it?s not hard to predict so let?s call upon Knits!

You had to know the Nets were going ISO to Lavert.... you claim to posses a potential first team all defensive player.... deploy your weapon accordingly. Put Frank on Lavert... Use your stopper.

Instead, Knits is taking out of the play, bc the Nets wisely force him to stay on a guy to defend the corner 3. Timmy should?ve been in Doowiddy, standing in the corner. Frank should?ve been on Lavert!

In 10 days, the Knicks (1-1) and Nets (1-1) meet again, at Madison Square Garden. Until then, Hardaway may still be thinking about LeVert?s shot that slipped by his outstretched left hand.

?I feel like I could have defended it a lot better. That?s all I can say,? Hardaway Jr. said. ?He?s been going right the whole entire game, so I just need to know that.?

?Got to know that he?s going right. Got to know that,? Hardaway said of his former teammate. ?It falls on me. Just being around him all this time, I should know that.?

?I thought (Hardaway) did a good job,? Knicks coach David Fizdale said. ?I thought Caris LeVert made a tough shot. Tim slid his feet. We even had help come over from the weak side. He hit a tough spinner off the glass. The kid is a big-time talent. He really had a good game.?

For the Knicks (1-1), it ruined the chance to go 2-0 for just the third time in the last 20 years. It also marred strong performances from Enes Kanter (29 points, 10 rebounds) and Kevin Knox (17 points, six rebounds).
Hardaway added 29 points but also took 25 shots.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Well a win for team-tank tonight losing to the moribund Nets at least we made it respectable. Still tough to root for losses but we better get used to it. Baker doesn?t even look like an NBA player shooting bricks and missing layups with his 70?s hair...I actually liked him in college, not anymore...

LT and Baker together are horribly deficient in everything pertaining to placing a round ball into a bucket, through a net ten feet off the ground.

How about that flying Kamakaze, flippant hoist of an attempt at an uncontested layup, from penetrating extraordinaire Lance Thomas!

They did contribute defensively though, but it?s almost not worth it bc they are such negatives on the other end. It?s mute anyway, bc these two are simply place-holders, holding down the fort until Robinson and Mudiay can claim those minutes.

mafra

Legend
Two nights after scoring the second highest amount of points (49) in a single quarter, in the franchise?s 72 year history...

In the second game of the season, the Knicks set another franchise record... fewest turnovers in a game (3).

And it was 1 too many... the third one a killer (much like the 2 free points for a phantom-bogus flagrant subjective decision).

But, watching Burke dart and dash and set up Kanter for the game-tying old-fashioned 3-point play, seeing Fizdale doing a court dance himself... watching Knits and Knox flash their potential.... All in all, it was entertaining, fruitful, and a positive to see this team moving in the right direction. The W/L results don?t matter. This is about building a foundation and instilling an attitude while devising a style of play that defines your mentality.

tiger0330

Legend
2 games into the Fizdale era and we've set records for most points scored (49) in the 2nd qtr and fewest TOs (3) in a game. In the PJ era the only records we were setting were for the other teams, most points scored by this guy or that guy in their careers and that losing record of 17-65. These were also 2 fun games to watch. Normally, I would be less than optimistic about a back to back with the Celts but we can win this tonight.

Kiyaman

Legend
I didn't really analyze the stats but it's amazing we only lost by a bucket. We caused 22 TO's and only had 3 that was what made it close. The Nets had a lot of guys out, losing to them in this division was tough. TOR BOS PHI and NETS in our division, we might finish dead last in the ATL division this season.

Hypothetically speaking .. If the Knicks would have won this game having the same stats, sports announcers would have bloated about how well Fizdale has the young Knicks playing 2-Way ball having a tough defense to create 22 opponent turnovers, while the offense only gave up 3 turnovers in 48 minute. The NBA would have put the Hawks and Nets down as one of the top 3 pick for the 2019 draft after their 2nd game this season LMFAO !!!

In the last 5 minute of the Nets game (Crunch Time) the Nets did not commit any turnovers .. why because the lineup the Knicks had on the court had 4 players showing no defensive-effort in the final 5 minute of the game .. Burke/THJ/Knox/and Kanter.
We should know now .. our coach Fizdale did not put together in training-camp the best 2-Way lineup on the roster for crunch time moments. Do Fizdale know the difference between a Starter-lineup from a Finisher-lineup? No!
Does Fizdale know which of the 2 lineup are more important to develop between a starter-lineup and a Finisher-lineup? No!

What type of coaching will Fizdale coach the next 4 games against NBA playoff teams?
Will Fizdale throw in the towel each game and except the next 4 LOSSES from (Celtics/Bucks/Heat/Warriors) to lead the Knicks to a 5 game losing streak to have a 1-5 record to start the 2018-19 season ???
And I thought Rookie Trae Young had it bad on draft night being traded to the Lottery Hawks WTF

Kiyaman

Legend
LT and Baker together are horribly deficient in everything pertaining to placing a round ball into a bucket, through a net ten feet off the ground.

How about that flying Kamakaze, flippant hoist of an attempt at an uncontested layup, from penetrating extraordinaire Lance Thomas!

They did contribute defensively though, but it?s almost not worth it bc they are such negatives on the other end. It?s mute anyway, bc these two are simply place-holders, holding down the fort until Robinson and Mudiay can claim those minutes.

I agree fully bout LT and Baker both their performances add up to being the 16th man on a NBA roster .. I will admit they would be great for practice-session only to defend our scorers, and teach our lazy scorers how to screen n pick on offense instead of moving around the perimeter begging for the ball .. LT should defend Knox & Mario in practice for 3 months, and Baker & Frank should defend THJ & Burke, and Trier & Mudiay so each one of our so-call scorers could find their go to spots on the court.

I was upset that Mitchell Robinson did not play last night .. I will admit I put MitchRob and Trier over Knox one-dimensional performance in the summer league games. Truth be said .. I had MitchRob 2-way talent taking Tired-KP starter position in his 2nd season in the league.

mafra

Legend
Mitchell twisted his ankle... so he?s resting. I imagine Baker won?t play much when Lee is healthy.