Road to Zion

mafra

Legend
Ja with 15-15-9 (on 4-8 shooting) with 6 to go, leading 12th seed Murray St upset over Marquette.

Top 3 pick and Knicks are golden!

mafra

Legend
Ja with tournament?s first triple dub since 2012 (Draymond Green). I believe he ended with 17-16-11 line. This kid probably the second pick...

The only other players with triple-doubles in the Big Dance? It?s a select list of Oscar Robertson (four), Magic Johnson (two), Green (two), Shaquille O?Neal, Dwyane Wade, Andre Miller, Cole Aldrich, David Cain and Gary Grant.

?Ja Morant makes a lot of plans look bad,? Marquette coach Steve Wojciechowski said. ?I mean, I?ve been in this for a while. He?s as good as any guard that I?ve coached against, or played against, and I?ve coached against and played against some outstanding ones.?

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
HARTFORD, Conn. -- Coach Leonard Hamilton knows his Florida State squad will have its hands full when it faces star Ja Morant and Murray State on Saturday in the second round of the NCAA tournament.

Hamilton said Morant -- who recorded the eighth triple-double in NCAA tournament history in a win over Marquette in the opening round on Thursday -- reminds him of NBA legend Magic Johnson and other "throwback" players.

"What I notice is he's one of the most exceptional players that I've had a chance to watch play," Hamilton said Friday after watching Morant on film. "He's kind of a throwback to guys who have the ability to score points. But [he] also has the passion and the excitement about creating opportunities for his teammates, guys like a Nate Archibald who can lead the NBA in scoring and lead in assists at the same time. A guy like Magic Johnson, who got so much joy making the game easy for his teammates. Even a player like Muggsy Bogues, who has an uncanny way of making things easy for his [teammates]."

Hamilton said, however, Morant is not a one-man show. Murray State's other starters connected on 23 of their 42 attempts from the field. Murray State made 50 percent of its shots from beyond the arc.

"You have to be careful because he's not winning the games by himself," Hamilton said. "He's surrounding himself with good players who feed off of who he is and what he is about as a player. And I'm excited for him and for their team, because I enjoy watching guys play with such an unselfish spirit, that they actually get excited about it. You can just see the gleam and the joy in his eye. It motivates him."

Morant also credited his teammates for the success he has experienced. An NBA executive told ESPN.com on Thursday that Morant had risen to No. 2 on his board.

"I'll say we just have a very talented group," Morant said Friday. "We have a lot of people who can score the basketball, and we are very unselfish."

mafra

Legend
Zion and Barrett weren?t enough to get Duke to the Final Four. Reddish?s knee injury certainly didn?t help.

Izzo designed a great play to get his senior a 3 to win.... last 2 possessions, Zion didn?t get a look. That?s in the coach.

Jones with 4 points... Cam a non-factor, as usual.

Still, if RJ misses that second FT, Zion was poised to grab it and put it back for the tie.

It?s official!

Suns won in OT last night and Knicks have officially clinched sole possession of the NBA?s worst record this season with 64 losses (no one else can reach more than 63 losses).

So, with 3 games to play, if this team wants to try to win them, no way to screw up the tank now.

tiger0330

Legend
Fiz is going down in history as the coach with the worst record in team history, the boys will finish either 0-3 or 1-2. The last coach we had that set the record is now coaching women's bball so Fizdale better watch his ass next season.

Fiz is going down in history as the coach with the worst record in team history, the boys will finish either 0-3 or 1-2. The last coach we had that set the record is now coaching women's bball so Fizdale better watch his ass next season.

I get the Fizdale criticism, but I think he was told to tank this season and he did. Fizdale has the respect and friendship of a lot of guys in the league. I?m pretty sure most of the league thought Fisher was a dumbass.

Kiyaman

Legend
I get the Fizdale criticism, but I think he was told to tank this season and he did. Fizdale has the respect and friendship of a lot of guys in the league. I’m pretty sure most of the league thought Fisher was a dumbass.

I still do think & believe Fizdale is a DUMBass!
I would take Fisher as head coach over Fizdale all day!
Every head-coach that made it to the NCAA sweet 16 has showed a better offense/defense plan than Fizdale showed all season with the Knicks.

Today, in the NCAA Final 4 meeting we will see 4 teams playing 40 minutes of Team-Ball on both sides of the court having several set plays that work on Stops and scoring .... As for Fizdale's TANKING coaching we watched 79 games without any Team-Ball tactics on offense or defense from the Knick players, nor have we seen any type of set-plays for defensive Stops, or scoring besides the alley-oop passes to DJ or MitchRob for the dunk. And above the rim rookie Knox received more alley-oop dunk passes in the summer league games than he received in the 79 regular season games.

Who u like Michigan State or Texas Tech today?
Or Auburn or Virginia today?
Auburn vs Michigan State !!!

tiger0330

Legend
I thought he was shorter than 6'7". Zion is 6'5" barefoot and is reported to like his fried chicken abd waffles, thus the comment about his weight in this analysis of him. You hope he's the next coming of Lebron but who knows for sure with his weaknesses.

Pre-Draft Analysis

Strengths
- Will be one of the best athletes in the NBA right out of the gate. Dunk-contest candidate but also highly functional athleticism within games. Possesses a freakish combination of power, explosiveness, dexterity, coordination and body control.
- Has a very high basketball IQ and is far more skilled than he gets credit for. Good ball handler and passer. Intriguing option as a grab-and-go or pick-and-roll operator with his elite first step. Terrific footwork and ability to change speeds forcefully.
- Really impressive defender when he's locked in and operating at full intensity. Has excellent instincts rebounding, shot-blocking and getting in the passing lanes.

Improvement areas
- Has the height and length of a wing (measured 6-foot-5 barefoot with a 6-10.5 wingspan) but the bulk of a center at 275 to 285 pounds. Will have to manage his body carefully as he has historically gotten out of shape quickly.
- Career 18-for-80 3-point shooter (22.5 percent) in 66 games tracked. A 66 percent free throw shooter on nearly 500 attempts. Shooting mechanics look slow and rigid. Will need considerable work for defenses to not treat him like a non-shooter.
- Challenging player for NBA scouts to wrap their heads around, as he doesn't fit into traditional molds and it's difficult to compare him to any existing players.

mafra

Legend
Forget about his game, b/c in terms of maturity, athleticism and intangibles... he?s on par with LeBron.

Zion arrived at Duke, much like LJ his rookie year, preceded by years of hype and legend.

Zion lived up to the hype (and then some). The weight of expectations did not detail Zion.

It doesn?t matter an inch or two bc his leaping is tremendous.... and, like AD, LJ, KD... Zion is swift like a guard in a big man?s body.

Also, like LJ, he is a smart player, willing to play defense, and is a natural leader.

Remember, he began season as a top 5 pick but proved to be 1st puck by who he handled himself.

His body weight concerns me but he?ll get with nutritionists and learn to eat like a pro. He?ll also contribute to improve his weakest areas.

He may not prove to be a first ballot HOF talent.... but he won?t go bust.

While my heart is set in Zion, so a I can watch mRob and ZW block every shot.... I can settle and live with jA and RJ (who both may turn out to be better scorers).

tiger0330

Legend
Forget about his game, b/c in terms of maturity, athleticism and intangibles... he?s on par with LeBron.

Zion arrived at Duke, much like LJ his rookie year, preceded by years of hype and legend.

Zion lived up to the hype (and then some). The weight of expectations did not detail Zion.

It doesn?t matter an inch or two bc his leaping is tremendous.... and, like AD, LJ, KD... Zion is swift like a guard in a big man?s body.

Also, like LJ, he is a smart player, willing to play defense, and is a natural leader.

Remember, he began season as a top 5 pick but proved to be 1st puck by who he handled himself.

His body weight concerns me but he?ll get with nutritionists and learn to eat like a pro. He?ll also contribute to improve his weakest areas.

He may not prove to be a first ballot HOF talent.... but he won?t go bust.

While my heart is set in Zion, so a I can watch mRob and ZW block every shot.... I can settle and live with jA and RJ (who both may turn out to be better scorers).
Nothing is certain, not even a national championship when you have a legendary coach and 4 guys expected to go in the first round of the NBA draft. Tons of guys who are 6'5", were super athletes but turned into busts. That big body is what allows him to dominate his space so I think he needs that at the next level despite the trend of getting leaner to manage the NBA grind. I don't like his shooting mechanics which may be a reason he never becomes a great shooter if it doesn't get corrected. He does have a great motor which may outweigh all his negatives.

mafra

Legend
Nothing is certain, not even a national championship when you have a legendary coach and 4 guys expected to go in the first round of the NBA draft. Tons of guys who are 6'5", were super athletes but turned into busts. That big body is what allows him to dominate his space so I think he needs that at the next level despite the trend of getting leaner to manage the NBA grind. I don't like his shooting mechanics which may be a reason he never becomes a great shooter if it doesn't get corrected. He does have a great motor which may outweigh all his negatives.

His big body is made more lethal by his coordination, which is crazy for a dude his size.

Zion has been dealing with hype at every level, going back to middle school. He?s passed every test, with flying colors.

Zion is gonna be impactful... the only question is... will he be KD AD impactful?

Sure, anything can happen. He can sniff something and be next Len Bias.

Zion will continue to impose his physical will in NBA. Even more so, bc teams won?t have 5 guys in the paint. With more space, Zion will be flying.

Perfect for Zion is he?s a low usuage highly efficient scoring machine.

mafra

Legend
Vandy PG Darius Garland and Virginia?s D-Hunter are mock options in the 4-5 range.

Toss in Coby White and Mr Culver and some Euro project.... and you have your next Knickerbocker, unless Knicks trade the pick to NO for AD.

Zion, RJ, Ja, Garland, White, Hunter, Culver...

?De'Andre Hunter made his case as the draft's top wing defender by helping hold Jarrett Culver to 5-of-22 shooting in the national title game. Texas Tech's top scorer struggled to create any separation against the 6'7", 225-pound hybrid forward.

Hunter came alive offensively in the second half and overtime with four three-pointers and a few tough buckets around the basket. It turned into his best offensive performance since arriving at Virginia, and he finished with a career-high 27 point.?

tiger0330

Legend
Not impressed with Culver after the tourney except for his length. Thought the Knicks brass was intrigued with him when they left the Clips game early to watch him in person but I doubt it now. RJ, Hunter > Culver

Kiyaman

Legend
The Knicks having the worst record in the league has the same equal chances as the teams listed below at getting Zion on draft night ....

Knicks .. Zion & MitchRob .... A NBA star FA signing with the Dolan family ha ha ha ha !!!
Suns .. Zion & Ayton & Booker
Bulls .. Zion & Carter Jr. & Lavine/Dunn
Cavs .. Zion & Nance & Sexton
Hawks .. Zion & (ROY) Trae Young

mafra

Legend
NY Post

Patrick Ewing is no longer the Knicks? ?secret? draft lottery weapon.

The team?s last No. 1 overall pick will be the one trying to help the Knicks land their next one at the NBA draft lottery on May 14. Ewing, currently the head coach at Georgetown, will represent the Knicks on the dais, The Post?s Marc Berman has confirmed. ESPN was the first to officially report Ewing?s involvement.

Current Knicks general manager Scott Perry represented the team in 2018 when the Knicks landed the ninth pick and Kevin Knox. Walt Frazier did the honors in 2017 as they received the eighth selection and ended up taking Frank Ntilikina.

The franchise is hoping for more from Ewing, who is able to do it despite being a college coach because he is a team legend. The Knicks finished with the worst record in the NBA 17-65 and have a 14 percent chance of landing the top slot and the potential to draft Duke star Zion Williamson, who has yet to declare for the draft. Ewing was the No. 1 overall pick by the Knicks in 1985 after Dave DeBusschere celebrated on the dais when the top spot was assured.

The Hall of Famer hinted at taking up the task on Thursday during an appearance on his Georgetown radio show, via 247Sports.

There?s a secret that?s going to come out in a couple of weeks, but I?m not going to say it yet,? Ewing said on the show. ?They?ll see when it happens.?

It?s a secret no longer.