1626209.png
1628369.png

203943.png
202694.png

202683.png
201143.png

Injury Report

New York KnicksBoston Celtics
Lance Thomas - Left knee surgery (OUT)Jabari Bird - Personal Reasons (OUT)
Courtney Lee - Extended neck pain (OUT)-
Kristaps Porzingis - Left knee (OUT)-
Luke Kornet - G League assignment (OUT)-
--

Game Preview

BOSTON -- It was just two weeks ago that the Boston Celtics staged a frantic comeback but came up just short and lost to the New York Knicks, who were 4-16 at the time.

The Celtics, off to a surprisingly mediocre start as the Eastern Conference favorites, have won four of the five games since, including the last three -- and may have also gotten the REAL Gordon Hayward back as they head into Thursday night's rematch with the Knicks at TD Garden.

Hayward, lost to the Celtics with a horrible leg injury in the first quarter of his first game with his new team last season, has been coming along slowly in his return. He broke out in a major step forward last Saturday night in Minneapolis.

He scored 30 points and added nine rebounds and eight assists in a road win over the Timberwolves.

And he did it off the bench.

"It's slowly coming along," said Hayward. "I think my confidence is slowly coming back, too. I'm still not where I want to be, but for sure, me attacking is better for our team and not being hesitant or passive."

Hayward broke loose after a practice confrontation with teammate Marcus Smart, who challenged Hayward by fouling him ... a lot.

"He just got red at one point," teammate Marcus Morris said. "He was really upset. He was going really hard."

The Celtics are 3-0 since inserting Smart into the starting lineup.

"I'm not going to let being in the first unit, the second unit, whatever unit deter from how I play, and that's bringing the energy straight off the bat," Smart said. "I try to lead by example, and, hopefully, my energy can rub off on guys. I think it's been doing that."

A win Thursday would allow Boston (13-10) to match its longest winning streak of the season.

The Knicks are 8-17. They are 4-3 in their last seven games but have lost three of their last four, capped by a 110-107 loss at Washington Monday night.

New York, down by 16 with 4:24 remaining, staged a furious comeback but fell just short.

"That's us. That's our team," coach David Fizdale said. "As long as there's time on the clock our guys will fight to try to win the game."

That loss came as the Knicks were rumored to be assembling pieces to try to deal for Washington's John Wall, who is very much on the trade market. Wall had 18 points and 15 assists in that game Monday.

Trey Burke, who had 29 points and 11 assists in the Knicks' win in Boston that evened the season series at 1-1, is out with a mild knee sprain. Former Celtics player Courtney Lee played his first game of the season for the Knicks Monday night. He had been out with a neck injury and played 16 minutes in his return.

Jaylen Brown, who has missed Boston's last three games with a bruised lower back, is expected to return Thursday night. He is ready to come off the bench to contribute if that's the plan.

"I'm good. I'm ready to go," Brown said Tuesday. "I'm feeling better every day. Just looking forward to being there on Thursday. Let's keep this win streak going."

As far as that mini-winning streak, Kyrie Irving said, "Our identity has changed since last time we played the Knicks. As a competitor I'm looking forward to tomorrow night."

(STATS / cbssports.com)

tiger0330

Legend
Didn't Alan Hahn say that Wall trade isn't happening? If you have to pay a guy $47M, the number on the final year of his supermax contract that kicks in next year, you should get Lebron, KD, Kawhi or even Steph not John Wall. I like Rozier but the same applies to him, no Chandler Parsons money for him, a THJ type deal would the most I want to pay for a career .377 shooter.

Kiyaman

Legend
Wsup Rady .. Thanks for the Game Thread .. we're in crooked referee Boston tonight.
Trey Burke had a dynamic performance off the bench in our last meeting with Boston, scoring 29 pts, 6 rb, 11 ast, and 2 steals for a Knick WIN.
I can only wonder what type of rotation our experimenting head coach Fizdale will put out on the court tonight.

Kiyaman

Legend
Irving’s backup, Terry Rozier, is also a restricted free agent, and the two of them may not be able to coexist long term. The Knicks like Rozier a lot, according to a source.

https://nypost.com/2018/12/06/david-fizdale-makes-knicks-free-agency-pitch-with-kyrie-irving-around/

I like our trio of young PG's Frank/Burke/and Iso-Zo to much to be interested in any other young PG.
Plus it took Rozier 3 seasons to get a crack of playing time in coach Brad Steven's rotation.
I would keep our young guards and wait till off season to get them a veteran FA PG to follow next season .. Either FA Rondo or FA Beverley.

jimkcchief88

All Star
That got a ohhh outta Marv, Mudiay dishing an oop after a nice drive and pearl down the lane! We might have our point guard guys remember Larry Brown recruited Mudiay and sung his praises on Chief

At some point, is Fizdale going to have this team play defense in the 1st quarter? 38 points allowed in the 1st tonight.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Wsup Rady .. Thanks for the Game Thread .. we're in crooked referee Boston tonight.
Trey Burke had a dynamic performance off the bench in our last meeting with Boston, scoring 29 pts, 6 rb, 11 ast, and 2 steals for a Knick WIN.
I can only wonder what type of rotation our experimenting head coach Fizdale will put out on the court tonight.

Yup Rady yeah thanks for the game thread...Knox with three ball Knicks only down by 6

jimkcchief88

All Star
Hard to win when yout give up 69 points in a half; TNT crew was clowning us in the pregame; prepare for more of the business at halftime um um um:(

Kiyaman

Legend
Someone forgot to tell the Knick players they were gonna be on TNT tonight .... make Boston hustle hard for the win

Kiyaman

Legend
I was hoping to see Trey Burke on the court tonight in the 2nd unit lineup of Trier/Dotson/Knox/and MitchRob .. then a 4th qtr. lineup of Burke Timmy Dotson Vonleh Kanter ....

Terrible defense. Boston won this game easily. Can?t wait to see who Fizdale puts in the ?dungeon? next because it?s pretty obvious to see that Ntilikina wasn?t the only underachiever on this squad. We are now 8 - 18.

Broadway

All Star
Terrible defense. Boston won this game easily. Can?t wait to see who Fizdale puts in the ?dungeon? next because it?s pretty obvious to see that Ntilikina wasn?t the only underachiever on this squad. We are now 8 - 18.

He should get minutes but he won?t solve our defensive issues.

Remember when he was benched he was negative in the +/- category playing with the second unit...so even if you believe he was playing solid defense individually, he?s not good enough to bear the burden of sin for his teammates

Our primary issue IMO, we have to stop running our offense through THJR. He?s at best a 3rd option player and that?s pushing it. Secondly we have to figure out how to use Knox better. Knits is only cosmetic at this point

He should get minutes but he won?t solve our defensive issues.

Remember when he was benched he was negative in the +/- category playing with the second unit...so even if you believe he was playing solid defensively individually he?s not good enough to bear the burden of sin for his teammates

Our primary issue IMO, we have to stop running our offense through THJR. He?s at best a 3rd option player and that?s pushing it. Secondly we have to figure out how to use Knox better. Knits is only cosmetic at this point

I?m not saying Ntilikina is good. I?m saying this whole team isn?t good. Fizdale has now benched Dotson, Burke, and Ntilikina for multiple games at different stretches and we?re barely a quarter of the way through the season. Just play our young guys and cut this ?dungeon? crap.

mafra

Legend
Pretty much unwatchable affair... They only hung around bc BOS could care less... Knicks are 29th in assists, and can?t shoot... so you wonder why there isn?t more motion and ball movement. Doesn?t seem like Fiz has an offensive system.

Another L for the tank train. Spring can?t get here quick enough.

4 playoff appearances (and 1 playoff series victory) in 18 years is tough for any fan base to handle.

I said it then, and feel it now... trading Ewing with 1 year remaining and bringing in the Vin Baker & A Mcdyss of the world doomed us.

Only positive is this is the first time in 18 years you can actually see glimpses of a turnaround.

KP gets healthy.
Stud in lottery.
Max free agent stud.

What else do we have to cling to? Another lost decade?

tiger0330

Legend
Terrible defense. Boston won this game easily. Can’t wait to see who Fizdale puts in the “dungeon” next because it’s pretty obvious to see that Ntilikina wasn’t the only underachiever on this squad. We are now 8 - 18.
Dungeon is right, Nits and Baker can't even get a couple of minutes of playing time in garbage time of a blowout. Baker is probably the guy that gets cut when they have to sign Zo but why play head games with Ntilikina.

tiger0330

Legend
Dungeon is right, Nits and Baker can't even get a couple of minutes of playing time in garbage time of a blowout. Baker is probably the guy that gets cut when they have to sign Zo but why play head games with Ntilikina.
Just reading people think we're trading Frank by the deadline. Probably some truth to the rumor when you have your backup PG injured in a suit on the bench and you have your backup SG Zo playing PG when he has no business playing there and you can't get a minute on the floor. If I'm Nits someone's telling me I'm not needed.