Game thread: New York Knicks vs Atlanta Hawks 7:30 12/21/2018 [Game #34]

mafra

Legend
We're not on Davis list of teams and losing isn't helping our cause to make us attractive to him. We have a draft coming up and if we make the right trades Knits is easily replaceable Trier proves this. Plus we can just bring back Burke if wants a Vet deal not like he's old. If we don't have any confidence of landing free agents well they never were realistic targets to begin with but I'd like to position ourselves as best as possible aside from losing games to get them, freeing up cap space. We make have to part with a piece we'd prefer to keep to accomplish this.

We can go over the cap to re-sign our own guys. Remember when Walsh gave away Crawford and Randolph and Ariza to clear cap space for LeBrob... then nobody signed with us?

I don?t mind trading Knits, and his play right now suggests he is clearly easily replaceable.... but he?s still one of our more attractive trade assets... he?s only 20... 6?7?... a team guy.

We are going to need assets when we are ready to make a move to grab that final piece...

With that, I only trade Knits to dump a contract nex summer, when i know for sure the free agent I want is signing with us. This isn?t a Feb deadline move, IMHO. After all, if we cannot lure a free agent... KP is going to need Mudiay, Knox and Timmy to help score and shoulder the load. And, again, we may need timmy?s contract to match up somewhere to trade for somebody.

I would prefer to use Dotson to shed Lee than Knits to shed Timmy, unless (of course) I need to clear space next July bc Harris, Durant, Kawhi wants to sign here.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
We can go over the cap to re-sign our own guys. Remember when Walsh gave away Crawford and Randolph and Ariza to clear cap space for LeBrob... then nobody signed with us?

I don’t mind trading Knits, and his play right now suggests he is clearly easily replaceable.... but he’s still one of our more attractive trade assets... he’s only 20... 6”7’... a team guy.

We are going to need assets when we are ready to make a move to grab that final piece...

With that, I only trade Knits to dump a contract nex summer, when i know for sure the free agent I want is signing with us. This isn’t a Feb deadline move, IMHO. After all, if we cannot lure a free agent... KP is going to need Mudiay, Knox and Timmy to help score and shoulder the load. And, again, we may need timmy’s contract to match up somewhere to trade for somebody.

I would prefer to use Dotson to shed Lee than Knits to shed Timmy, unless (of course) I need to clear space next July bc Harris, Durant, Kawhi wants to sign here.

Only for our guys and not including outside free agents. If we opt for cap space the above isn't possible. Yeah when we make trades we get back assets(that can be traded again). I'm not suggesting trading them for nothing

Naaaah if we have #kporzee/Knox/Mudiay/Trier/Zion or Barrett or Hurichima we'll have more than enough scoring, even without a free agent signing. If we were t bring back a guy you like in Kanter further proves my point.

Guys we part with in trade outside of THJR don't score much. THJR and Knits salary provides almost an additional $10mil difference in space vs Lee/Dotson, that's significant . Teams are more desperate at the deadline for change than in the summer time when the field increases driving demand down.

Look at Boston, you see Tatum/Brown/Smart/Rozier ALL CAN'T BE GREAT concurrently...someone probably has to be traded or role mitigated. Same with Lakers...Ball/Kuzma/Hart/Ingram ALL CAN'T BE GREAT concurrently

mafra

Legend
I hear you, and since nothing is done in a vacuum, everything depends on the mitigating particulars...

I?m to the point, where 17% odds is better than 5%. Just give me Zion and a nice pick in the second round. Give me a healthy KP... and a solid vet MLE type and let?s go after it with this very same team.

I don?t want to have to depend on something beyond our control. Sure, not likely Zion arrives anyway... but even without a generational talent like that... we stand to walk away with a potential all star caliber player.

With Mudiay and Trier, tho, all guards are on notice. The 3rd best G on any roster is expendable.

mafra

Legend
We're not on Davis list of teams and losing isn't helping our cause to make us attractive to him. We have a draft coming up and if we make the right trades Knits is easily replaceable Trier proves this. Plus we can just bring back Burke if wants a Vet deal not like he's old. If we don't have any confidence of landing free agents well they never were realistic targets to begin with but I'd like to position ourselves as best as possible aside from losing games to get them, freeing up cap space. We make have to part with a piece we'd prefer to keep to accomplish this.

Apparently, NYK is 1/3 teams on AD?s trade list:

During an appearance Wednesday on FS1?s ?Undisputed,? NBA insider Chris Broussard reported that the Boston Celtics will join the Los Angeles Lakers and the New York Knicks on Davis? trade list, should the New Orleans Pelicans star become available. Broussard?s report comes just a few days after ESPN?s Adrian Wojnarowski reported that Boston has been ?hawking? Davis for years.

(NESN)
And NY Post

paris401

Starter
Congrats, shows you read every post in the game thread. BTW, never see you post in the game threads, do you watch the games?

i actually do watch... well sort of... i always watch the pre-game, to check out clyde and what's he's wearing... nobody makes a fashion statement better the clyde...

as to the game, i start out watchin the game, but i'm a channel surfer, last nite the nets/pacers were on, as was the bucks/boston so was moving around- next time i tuned in , knicks were kickin some ass... the next time i tuned in the lead was evaporating quickly , and in the 4th, it was tied, and then when atl was up by 5 with under a min to go, and atl was on the line for 2, it was time to head back to the boston game...

sorry but i just can't watch 48mins of this team...

Kiyaman

Legend
i actually do watch... well sort of... i always watch the pre-game, to check out clyde and what's he's wearing... nobody makes a fashion statement better the clyde...

as to the game, i start out watchin the game, but i'm a channel surfer, last nite the nets/pacers were on, as was the bucks/boston so was moving around- next time i tuned in , knicks were kickin some ass... the next time i tuned in the lead was evaporating quickly , and in the 4th, it was tied, and then when atl was up by 5 with under a min to go, and atl was on the line for 2, it was time to head back to the boston game...

sorry but i just can't watch 48mins of this team...

Honorably spoken .. I somewhat did/felt the same as you ..
I couldn't even get into all the trade-talk after the loss on the Game-thread !!!

Kiyaman

Legend
Last night Knick Game at Home vs the 8-23 Hawks ..
showed how much of a strategic-coach Fizdale are:

The Knicks Offense had some nice video high-lights of Knick players scoring in the first half of the game,
but when it came time for the (2nd Half of the game) the real Nitty Gritty of the game ..
the Knick offense had no team-preparation, nor did it have teammate co-existing to score during the 2nd half.
The Hawks outscored the Knicks in both quarters of the 2nd half 27-20 and 27-18 ....
Point blank .. the Knicks did not have a 2nd half offensive plan to win in either quarter!

The Knicks Defense looked weak throughout the game, the transition-defense in the first half seem to work well at certain times only giving the Hawks 60 points at halftime.
The Knicks Defense in the 2nd half of the game allowed the Hawks to score 54 points to the Knicks 38 points.
The Knicks showed no team or player STOPS on the defensive-end of the court in the 2nd half of the game to insure a Knick win.
Point-blank .. the Knicks defense were non-existing in last night game by letting the Hawks score 114 points on 49% fga.

So far to beat NBA teams like the Hawks/Suns/Wiz/and Cavs the opponent must perform a team-offense and a team-defense where TEAMMATES team-up together on both sides of the court for stops and to score (a team-performance).
The Knicks as a team are still averaging 43% fga, and 18 assist per game, plus Knicks allow opponent to shoot above 48%, and average above 24 assist. A quarter of a season of poor team performance has put the Knicks in first-place of receiving the 1 to 3 first-round pick of the 2019 NBA Draft.

tiger0330

Legend
Last night Knick Game at Home vs the 8-23 Hawks ..
showed how much of a strategic-coach Fizdale are:

The Knicks Offense had some nice video high-lights of Knick players scoring in the first half of the game,
but when it came time for the (2nd Half of the game) the real Nitty Gritty of the game ..
the Knick offense had no team-preparation, nor did it have teammate co-existing to score during the 2nd half.
The Hawks outscored the Knicks in both quarters of the 2nd half 27-20 and 27-18 ....
Point blank .. the Knicks did not have a 2nd half offensive plan to win in either quarter!

The Knicks Defense looked weak throughout the game, the transition-defense in the first half seem to work well at certain times only giving the Hawks 60 points at halftime.
The Knicks Defense in the 2nd half of the game allowed the Hawks to score 54 points to the Knicks 38 points.
The Knicks showed no team or player STOPS on the defensive-end of the court in the 2nd half of the game to insure a Knick win.
Point-blank .. the Knicks defense were non-existing in last night game by letting the Hawks score 114 points on 49% fga.

So far to beat NBA teams like the Hawks/Suns/Wiz/and Cavs the opponent must perform a team-offense and a team-defense where TEAMMATES team-up together on both sides of the court for stops and to score (a team-performance).
The Knicks as a team are still averaging 43% fga, and 18 assist per game, plus Knicks allow opponent to shoot above 48%, and average above 24 assist. A quarter of a season of poor team performance has put the Knicks in first-place of receiving the 1 to 3 first-round pick of the 2019 NBA Draft.
Nice breakdown Kiya. Last few seasons we played at a near .500 clip approaching Xmas before falling the rest of the way. Looks like this season we just might be a crap team the entire year. I see THJ going to the bench with that plantar fasciitis eventually, KP having minimum impact this season so unless these kids grow up really fast we might be headed to the worst record in the league this season. It would be worth it if we could snag Zion

Kiyaman

Legend
Nice breakdown Kiya. Last few seasons we played at a near .500 clip approaching Xmas before falling the rest of the way. Looks like this season we just might be a crap team the entire year. I see THJ going to the bench with that plantar fasciitis eventually, KP having minimum impact this season so unless these kids grow up really fast we might be headed to the worst record in the league this season. It would be worth it if we could snag Zion

When u read between the lines of president Mills comment on KP return u will sense the objective here .. are the Knicks were set-up from the start GO to actually TANK the 2018-19 season to get one of the first 3 picks in the draft (In December, the NCAA are showing 5 great potential draft picks).
Mills do not want to make KP upset at the end of the season on his final contract season for being on the court playing a part of a losing (TANKING) season, giving KP another reason to miss the Knicks final team meeting again.
And .. Timmy so-call plantar fasciitis injury will be the excuse Timmy has to only play a half of this (TANKING) season before the pain set in around Jan/Feb to have surgery.