1628995.png
1627742.png

203943.png
1628398.png

1628436.png
201580.png

Injury Report

New York KnicksLos Angeles Lakers
Kristaps Porzingis - Left knee (OUT)LeBron James - Left groin strain (OUT)
Mitchell Robinson - Sprained left ankle (QUEST)Rajon Rondo - Right ring finger surgery (OUT)
-Michael Beasley - Personal reasons (OUT)
-Kyle Kuzma - Lower back contusion (QUEST)
-Isaac Bonga - G-League assignment (OUT)
-Alex Caruso - G-League assignment (OUT)
Johnathan Williams - G-League assignment (OUT)

Game Preview

The New York Knicks appear to catch a break Friday night when they are unlikely to have to deal with LeBron James when they visit the Los Angeles Lakers in a game pairing teams that have struggled of late.

James suffered a strained left groin in the Lakers' win at Golden State on Christmas Day and has missed the last four games, including Wednesday's 107-100 home loss to Oklahoma City.

The loss was the Lakers' third in the four games without James, who had played the team's first 34 games as well as all 82 for the Cleveland Cavaliers last season.

James' availability is being determined on a day-to-day basis, but he almost surely will not return for the New York game on Friday.

The Lakers' injury situation went from bad to worse when Kyle Kuzma underwent an MRI on his ailing back Thursday after sitting out Wednesday's game. The Lakers listed him as questionable to face the Knicks (9-29) because of a lower back contusion.

The Lakers (21-17) definitely will go without Rajon Rondo, who could miss the entire month of January with a thumb injury.

"It makes it tough," Lakers forward Brandon Ingram told reporters of the injury situation after the loss to the Thunder. "We have a lot of guys out and we just try to figure out different ways to attack the paint. On the defensive end, just try to make small adjustments so that we can be effective in each part of the game."

If there's a positive for the Lakers, it's that it will be the lowly Knicks visiting on Friday.

New York has played the entire season without star big man Kristaps Porzingis, and having lost eight in a row, are one of only a handful of NBA teams already truly out of playoff contention.

Coincidentally, getting production out of their big men has been the least of the Knicks' problems of late.

Luke Kornet, who had started one game previously in his NBA career, has gotten the call in the last three and put up big numbers, averaging 18.7 points while shooting 51 percent from the field overall and 63 percent on 3-pointers.

Kornet has been so good, Knicks coach David Fizdale has elected to bring arguably his best player, Enes Kanter, off the bench.

That did not go well for two games, during which Kanter totaled just eight points and wondered aloud why he'd been demoted. But he responded in Monday's loss at Denver with 17 points and 12 rebounds in 20 minutes.

"The only thing I learned from my career, you have to stay together," Kanter expressed to reporters recently. "You cannot fall apart. You need that one, two, three guys to bring the positive energy in the locker room. If you're losing, everybody is shaking their head, everybody is depressed. You need that guy to bring that positive energy, keep that energy up, make people laugh."

The meeting will be the first of the season between the Knicks and Lakers. James' one and only trip to New York is scheduled for March 17.

(STATS / cbssports.com)

Kiyaman

Legend
Wsup Rady .... Thanks for the Game-Thread .. This Game supposed to be a Knicks win win .. all around the NBA table against a Lebronless/Rondoless Lakers team having back injury problem from the Lakers 2nd season high scorer Kuzma.
The Knicks has been battling one of the worst big injuries in the league called "Clueless puppet head coach" that has the Knicks on a 8 game losing streak and a 5-15 run in the last 20 games.
The Knicks so-call 2018-19 development season were put on HOLD the day puppet-coach Fizdale took the teams best rebounder and top scoring 55% FG shooting veteran center Kanter out of the Starter lineup.
Keeping Kanter in the starting lineup averaging 26 to 30 minute per game would have been a big help to the young-core players developing their Pick n Roll and Give n Go sets having Kanter's big body a part of the play, plus it would have the young-core players hustling back on defense to add defensive-help in the paint and on the perimeter.
The Knicks weakest defensive player on the roster are Timmy Hardaway Jr., in this season Knicks opponents has scored over Timmy 4 times more than any other Knick player .. Why havn't Timmy been taking out of the starter lineup ???
Taking Kanter out

Kiyaman

Legend
Tired of the tanking .... WEeee need a WIN on the road !!!

Looking for Knox to challenge his performance by scoring 10 or more points in the 2nd half of the game.
Looking for Trier to challenge his passing game by having 5 or more Dimes.
Looking for Kornet to challenge his performance by having a double-double game on McGee & Chandler.
Looking for Dotson to challenge his 2-Way game by scoring in double figures plus lock Hart and Ingram to shooting below 40%.
Looking for Frank to challenge Lonzo performance tonight by having more than 7 Dimes !!!

tiger0330

Legend
I said I wasn't worried about KK when he was in that slump and he proved me correct by winning EC rook of the month. Nits wouldn't worry me either if he could have this last year. Going forward he has to play over Trey who isn't going to be in the plans of the Knicks. Kornet also, 15-24 from 3 since starting, teams are paying big money to guys that shoot the 3 at that clip. BTW, I mentioned trading him in a package to dump CLee but the Knicks can't because of that bird rights rule for 2nd yr players, ie Ron Baker.

tiger0330

Legend
Trey is in after Nits goes to the locker room with what looked like a mild ankle sprain. I think he'll be back.

tiger0330

Legend
63-59 Knicks half time. Nits out with an ankle STRAIN, xrays negtive. No lead is safe with the Knicks, 17 pt lead is now 4.

tiger0330

Legend
This may be the game to get Trey's confidence back to start midseason games ....
Fiz will probably hold Nits out for 2 weeks because of this. I get holding a guy out with an injury when you have nothing to play for but this isn't good for Nits rhythm.

Kiyaman

Legend
Timmy has 16 pts at Half and Lakers Caldwell-Pope has 14 pts at half .. The two scorers career performance are bout equal

tiger0330

Legend
Mudiay after going scoreless in the 1st half has 10 pts in only 5 mins in the 3rd. Keeping the Knicks in it 79-73 after Kornet hits a 3.

Broadway

All Star
The Knick guards have to learn to pass in transition .. Mudiay Burke ZO

I know you saw that sick pass he gave to Dotson for a reverse layup and he does have 5 for the game. Almost Bruce Banner to Hulk type game lurking first half to second half

Kiyaman

Legend
Nice pass from Mudiay to Dotson for 2 .... McGee been killing us in the 2nd half getting the score down to a 2 pt Knick lead 83-81