202083.png
1628995.png

203084.png
202498.png

201599.png
203943.png

Injury Report

Dallas MavericksNew York Knicks
Juan Jose Barea - Right Achilles surgery (QUEST)Luke Kornet - Sprained left ankle (OUT)
-Kristaps Porzingis - Left knee (OUT)
-Emmanuel Mudiay - Strained left shoulder (OUT)
-Isiah Hicks - G-League assignment (NWT)
-Frank Ntilikina - Sore groin (OUT)

Game Preview

There might have been fans who purchased tickets to Wednesday night's game at Madison Square Garden between the New York Knicks and the Dallas Mavericks in hopes of seeing Mavericks superstar Dirk Nowitzki one last time.

Turns out they're getting quite a bonus: The chance to see Luka Doncic for the first time.

Doncic, the Mavericks' superlative rookie, will play in the Big Apple for the first time Wednesday night, when Dallas visits the Knicks.

The Mavericks lost their most recent game Sunday, albeit through no fault of Doncic, who became the first teenager in NBA history to score 30 points in a triple-double as Dallas fell to the visiting Toronto Raptors, 123-120.

The Knicks continued free-falling Monday, when they dropped a 10th straight game by losing at the Charlotte Hornets, 101-92.

The loss by the Mavericks did little to diminish the accomplishment of the 19-year-old Doncic, who racked up 35 points, 12 rebounds and 10 assists against the Raptors.

Doncic, who won't turn 20 until Feb. 28, broke the record previously held by LeBron James, who was 20 years, 100 days old when he scored 40 points and collected 10 rebounds and 10 assists for the Cleveland Cavaliers against the Milwaukee Bucks on April 9, 2005.

In addition, Doncic became just the fourth rookie in the past 35 years to score 35 points in a triple-double. He joined select company: Michael Jordan, Jason Kidd and Stephen Curry.

"For me, what matters is the victory," Doncic said afterward. "(The triple-double) was special for sure, but it would be even more if we got the win."

The loss won't be remembered if Doncic continues to emerge as Nowitzki's replacement as a franchise player. The similarities are already uncanny: Doncic was actually drafted in the lottery by an Eastern Conference team (the Atlanta Hawks) before being immediately dealt to the Mavericks. Back in 1998, Nowitzki was picked in the lottery by the Milwaukee Bucks before being traded to Dallas.

Now, the only question about Nowitzki is when he enters the Hall of Fame. A player must be retired for four seasons before becoming eligible for the Hall.

Nowitzki hasn't tipped his hand one way or the other, though retirement seems as if it's an increasingly likely choice. The 40-year-old missed the first two months while recovering from left ankle surgery and has played just 18 games overall. He had seven points in 10 minutes against the Raptors.

The Knicks might have their own franchise player in Kristaps Porzingis, but with the 23-year-old sidelined due to a torn ACL suffered last February, New York is, intentionally or not, doing its best to get in position to draft a second potential cornerstone next to Porzingis.

The loss to the Hornets was the 10th in a row -- and 23rd in 25 games -- for the Knicks, who are battling with the Cavaliers, Chicago Bulls and Phoenix Suns for the worst record in the league and the best chance to grab Duke star Zion Williamson with the No. 1 pick in June's draft. Or perhaps deal the pick to the New Orleans Pelicans in exchange for disgruntled Anthony Davis, who demanded a trade Monday.

At the moment, though, first-year Knicks coach David Fizdale is simply focusing on trying to win a game.

"I haven't seen any of that," Fizdale said Monday. "No, I'm serious. I have not seen that. Anthony Davis asked for a trade? I locked myself in my hotel and just watched film today. I turned my phone off. I got yelled at by my wife today. I have no idea. What happened?"

--Field Level Media

(STATS / cbssports.com)

tiger0330

Legend
Watching Dirk in warm-ups, it's hard to believe he would want to play another season or the Mavs would use a roster spot on him, he moves like an old man out there. I'd love it if guys like him and VC would say it's their last season and fans could say farewell to them.

Kiyaman

Legend
Watching Dirk in warm-ups, it's hard to believe he would want to play another season or the Mavs would use a roster spot on him, he moves like an old man out there. I'd love it if guys like him and VC would say it's their last season and fans could say farewell to them.

Lance Thomas need to hang up his sneakers a long with Dirk SMH

tiger0330

Legend
They just said Dirk didn't want a farewell tour but the Mavs think this is it for him.

mafra

Legend
DSJ is awful defending the P&R... still a very solid offensive prospect tho... but the disparity between his splits is akin to Knits.

tiger0330

Legend
Watching Trey get by DSJ on his penetration makes you rethink ever trading him for Nits. The guy is a sieve and his better offense wouldn't make up for his defense.

tiger0330

Legend
Just trying to beat the clock, he tosses in a shot that he puts up like a shotput and Doncic swooshes in a 3, nothing but net.

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks suck going down 114-90 but Knicks fans remarkably accepting with not any booing from them. Classy Knicks fans cheering Dirk at every opportunity. Not enough for a great player like him, if he officially announced this was it we would have video tributes, half time events.

tiger0330

Legend
Watching this team is about the most joyless experience you can have as a fan.
They're getting worse not better as the season rolls on, 4th straight game under 100 pts, Mudiay should not be the difference. You have to blame Fiz but maybe that's the plan despite the league discouraging tanking to lose as many games as he can.