Porzingis wants to be traded

mafra

Legend
Manix and others reporting that other GMs were shocked (inferring NY didn?t call everybody) and wondered why the urgency to act for NY.

This is obviously coming from Boston and LA, bc they are scarred now.

Knicks had to act now so they could deal from a position of strength, and to make it easier to dump salaries (Dal wouldn?t have DJ?s expiring on books if we waited)... and... KP would have more power, being in his restricted mode.

NY wanted a young lottery player, 2 first rounders and full cap relief. Who could offer more now or come July?

I know it seems like KP could fetch more, but how? If he really is that good, you never going to get equal value (ask NO). And given injury history a contract status, NY jumped when they got what they sought.

mafra

Legend
?It?s never happened,? another executive told the website. ?Teams have given up unprotected picks. But no one?s ever traded an established star, an established commodity, just to clear money.?

There is reason to believe the Knicks could wind up striking it rich. On Friday, Irving backed away from his earlier comments that he?s planning to re-sign with the Celtics. Durant?s close friend, Royal Ivey, is a Knicks assistant coach, and he is a noted fan of coach David Fizdale.

If both come to New York, the Porzingis trade will be hailed as a stroke of genius. But if they don?t, it could wind up being a disaster.

NY Post

mafra

Legend
Is KP the next Greg Oden? Yao Ming? Or Dirk?

(In terms of longevity and impact)

KP had 3 great Nov/Dec but stunk or was absent rest of time?

Would you prefer 23 yr old KP over 30 yr old KD next year and moving fwd?

If you?re looking at the next 2 to 3 years, I would think that very few teams would rather have KP than Durant. The sky is the limit for KP?s upside, but he actually has to realize that upside. Durant is already the living breathing version of that upside and he has shown few signs of slowing down.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star

His out in the open dissing and backhanded subliminals against our organization on social media is disgusting. Carmelo wasn't even this classless. So happy I never strongly rooted for him. Usually I peg problematic players correctly. He was going to be one way or another

tiger0330

Legend
Manix and others reporting that other GMs were shocked (inferring NY didn’t call everybody) and wondered why the urgency to act for NY.

This is obviously coming from Boston and LA, bc they are scarred now.

Knicks had to act now so they could deal from a position of strength, and to make it easier to dump salaries (Dal wouldn’t have DJ’s expiring on books if we waited)... and... KP would have more power, being in his restricted mode.

NY wanted a young lottery player, 2 first rounders and full cap relief. Who could offer more now or come July?

I know it seems like KP could fetch more, but how? If he really is that good, you never going to get equal value (ask NO). And given injury history a contract status, NY jumped when they got what they sought.
We will see but trading the franchise player is not a good look to attract marquis players to an organization that was already looked on as dysfunctional. I see the Knicks overpaying the Tobias Harris of the world max money rather than landing a KD. Butler also strikes me as a guy that would come to NY if he was offered a max contract if he couldn't get that 5yr 190M deal from the Sixers. That wouldn't be AD and KD but it wouldn't be a bad haul for losing Porzingis

KP wants us Knicks fans to all ?STAY WOKE? about the state of our franchise. That is just perfect. Jumps on the bandwagon with all the other teenagers on social media stealing an expression from Black Lives Matter.

Paul1355

All Star
I?ve heard his father is considering both NYK and LAK. By his agent, you mean LJ?s high school buddy. I think if NY gets the #1 pick... AD is ours. AD, KD, and Kyrie. So, we have about 14% chance of that happening....

I?m still wondering how people think we can possibly get the #1 pick after this deal

We just significantly improved our starting lineup and added 3 legit starters in dsj, Jordan and Matthew. We will win games and it will hurt or chances of having a top 3 pick.

Furthermore, to bench Kanter and be in a tank mode, only to play these vets in Jordan and Matthews make no sense.

The only way the Knicks stay consistent and possibly get Zion is to trade or buyout Jordan and Matthews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I?m still wondering how people think we can possibly get the #1 pick after this deal

We just significantly improved our starting lineup and added 3 legit starters in dsj, Jordan and Matthew. We will win games and it will hurt or chances of having a top 3 pick.

Furthermore, to bench Kanter and be in a tank mode, only to play these vets in Jordan and Matthews make no sense.

The only way the Knicks stay consistent and possibly get Zion is to trade or buyout Jordan and Matthews.

Our roster is far and away the worst in the NBA. We are going to be losing a lot more games. We are a lock for 60+ losses.

Last edited:

Paul1355

All Star
Our roster is far and away the worst in the NBA. We are going to be losing a lot more games. We are a lock for 60+ losses.

So by that prediction we will only win around 12 games for the remainder of the season. If we keep Jordan and Matthews I?m just saying we might win a little more than the Zion fans would like. We added one of the best defensive/rebounding centers in the nba with the second best fg% and a solid 3 and d player, as well as having our best pg since derrick rose. Just don?t be surprised if we lose a top 3 spot for Zion sweepstakes.

So by that prediction we will only win around 12 games for the remainder of the season. If we keep Jordan and Matthews I?m just saying we might win a little more than the Zion fans would like. We added one of the best defensive/rebounding centers in the nba with the second best fg% and a solid 3 and d player, as well as having our best pg since derrick rose. Just don?t be surprised if we lose a top 3 spot for Zion sweepstakes.

You may end up being right, but I sure hope not.

mafra

Legend
Even tho it is less odds at 4... it?s not that much different. 14%!vs 12% or something. So, as long as they don?t drop to 5th or something it should be fine. ATL is already like 5-6 games ahead, so i doubt we win enough to drop to 5th.

I wonder what happens if PHO wins lottery. Ja a better fit for them than Zion.. If we get second or third and they get 1st, could Frank and a future first be enough to swap?

Even tho it is less odds at 4... it?s not that much different. 14%!vs 12% or something. So, as long as they don?t drop to 5th or something it should be fine. ATL is already like 5-6 games ahead, so i doubt we win enough to drop to 5th.

I wonder what happens if PHO wins lottery. Ja a better fit for them than Zion.. If we get second or third and they get 1st, could Frank and a future first be enough to swap?

If we don?t get #1 overall, you have to hope our front office tries to use one of our extra 1st round picks to move up and get Zion.

mafra

Legend
Knicks president Steve Mills opened up on Sunday about the Kristaps Porzingis trade, going into detail about why the team felt it had to act quickly and what they needed in return.

While the Knicks have been criticized in some circles for acting as quickly as they did while trading Porzingis, Mills said the team didn't want to let things go beyond the Feb. 7 trade deadline out of fear that the team would lose leverage.

"We felt the 7th was really important because if we let this go beyond the 7th, the leverage completely shifted," Mills said Sunday during an in-game interview on MSG. "We would not have control of the situation. We weren't sure what Kristaps was gonna come in and tell us. We didn't know if he'd come in and tell us he wanted to be traded, or he may have come in and said he wanted to do a one-year contract with a player option, which would then have made him untradable and he would have had all the leverage."

And Mills said Porzingis and his brother made their position clear during a meeting on Thursday.

"They made it clear to us that he did not want to play for the Knicks, that he was not going to re-sign with us as a free agent. And we in one way thanked him for the clarity because it gave us the information we needed to know."

Before the meeting, Mills said he and GM Scott Perry "started to get a feel that everything wasn't going as well as we would have liked with Kristaps" and began making preparations for a potential trade, with "about eight potential scenarios that we thought would be great for us if we made the decision that we were going to trade Kristaps."

In that vein, Mills said there were three things the Knicks needed back in any trade of Porzingis.

"We wanted to get a rookie player that was still in his scale contract, we wanted to add additional draft picks to the draft picks we currently have, and then give ourselves financial flexibility that we could become a player in free agency. But just a chance to have the flexibility to move forward."

The Knicks got all three of the above from the Mavericks, with Dennis Smith Jr. (rookie player still in his scale contract), additional draft picks (first-rounders in 2021 and 2023) and financial flexibility (they rid themselves of the contracts of Tim Hardaway Jr. and Courtney Lee).

In the last year, the Knicks had put off extending Porzingis -- in part to keep extra room under the cap so they can target external free agents this summer -- but Porzingis was still in line for a huge payday after the season if he wanted it.

Now that he has been dealt, Porzingis is expected to accept the one-year qualiftying offer from the Mavs after the season, according to Shams Charania of The Athletic.

????????

Alarm bells are resounding.... KP upset with NY b/c the team didn?t want him returning this year... he gets traded, and now DAL says he won?t play this season...

And, it looks like KP and Jānis prefer to sign the QO and not sign extension. Man, this kid is tough to please. Be funny if he signed with NY as a free agent.

Broadway

All Star
Alarm bells are resounding.... KP upset with NY b/c the team didn?t want him returning this year... he gets traded, and now DAL says he won?t play this season...

And, it looks like KP and Jānis prefer to sign the QO and not sign extension. Man, this kid is tough to please. Be funny if he signed with NY as a free agent.

He's really not built for this city and he won't

attachment.php

Is KP really going to opt for the qualifying offer? I mean, I saw those reports too, but isn?t that an insane decision to make, especially coming off a major injury? The dude has not made the major money yet. Why the hell wouldn?t he just sign the rookie contract extension with Dallas? He?s going to risk passing on a deal worth over 150 million dollars over the next 5 years just so he can have the option to leave Dallas a year from now? INSANE.

If KP walks and Dallas has to try to please Doncic with only having 2 of its next 5 1st round picks, good freakin luck. Why is everyone so fixated on our side of this? The stakes seem a lot higher for Dallas.

mafra

Legend
Is KP really going to opt for the qualifying offer? I mean, I saw those reports too, but isn?t that an insane decision to make, especially coming off a major injury? The dude has not made the major money yet. Why the hell wouldn?t he just sign the rookie contract extension with Dallas? He?s going to risk passing on a deal worth over 150 million dollars over the next 5 years just so he can have the option to leave Dallas a year from now? INSANE.

If KP walks and Dallas has to try to please Doncic with only having 2 of its next 5 1st round picks, good freakin luck. Why is everyone so fixated on our side of this? The stakes seem a lot higher for Dallas.

Exactly. If m sure if roles were reversed, and we made the trade for KP (a Classic NYK move, right), they would be killing Knicks for gambling so much on the oft-inured Unicorn.

And, like you said, if he doesn?t immediately sign that extension... Then Perry a genius for acting swiftly and reading the tea leaves.

Again, makes me think he wants to see who LAK get... he has visions of Hollywood. Why else would he hesitate to commit? Doncic and 150 million reasons why, no? How much could LA offer even if he waits until summer 2020?

Broadway

All Star
I bet he has visions of LA and LeBron. I would love nothing more than to see him screw Cuban, and prove our worse fears...

Why wouldn't he want to play with Doncic? Why wouldn't he accept the torch pass from Dirk? Like why do we as Knick fans think there's always 2-3 layers of alternate universe when it comes to players in this league?

He clearly post to Doncic about having fun, he can't do it this yr because he's going to sit out. So he's going to leave to L.A. or Boston and have fun with Doncic from afar?

Why wouldn't he want to play with Doncic? Why wouldn't he accept the torch pass from Dirk? Like why do we as Knick fans think there's always 2-3 layers of alternate universe when it comes to players in this league?

He clearly post to Doncic about having fun, he can't do it this yr because he's going to sit out. So he's going to leave to L.A. or Boston and have fun with Doncic from afar?

You think it makes sense for KP to sign his qualifying offer instead of his rookie extension? We didn?t offer him a rookie extension, but presumably Dallas is going to do it (if they haven't already). Maybe I just don?t understand the specifics, but that seems like a huge financial risk to maintain the flexibility to possibly change teams in the 2020 offseason.