Porzingis wants to be traded

I don?t think anyone was ever going to want to come play with KP. Inexplicably, KP was even less likely to share the ball once he got it than even Melo.

If our front office turns around and does another THJ-type deal this offseason, then I don?t know what to say. This is our version of ?The Process?. Our front office needs to review how Philly did it and it definitely did not involve giving big contracts to marginal impact free agents.

tiger0330

Legend
Well well .. Tired-KP had enough of watching Clueless-Fizdale foolish coaching from the side lines, plus the Knicks front-office look to have plans on keeping Fizdale for another Tank-Tank season .. That thought alone, probably had KP's brother get in contact with Cuban while the Mavs visited NY LMAO !!!

Truth be said ....
If Tired-KP does get traded to the Mavs, then and only then will KP finally become the star-player so many Knick fans been hyping him up to be in NY. One good season under Mavs head coach Rick Carlisle's each one teach one system, plus KP having Dirk mentoring his perimeter moves n position, plus tightening up his inside game in the paint .... Yes! KP will become the 80 game played star a long-side Luka for above .500 seasons.
That's one thing for sure KP struck gold going to the Mavs organization, proven championship coach, HOF mentor who I bet is with the Mavs after he retires, a great young European player in Doncic who is going to play so well with him. Cuban demands a lot of his players but it's a top notch organization.

mafra

Legend
Mills is full of his usual BS. How the guy keeps his job after giving a scrub like Baker 9M when nobody in the league was offering him the rookie minimum or that contract he gave THJ when the Hawks pegged his value at less than 50M.

Porzingis was a rising star, an AS and the best draft pick to come along since Ewing. Losing him is going to to set them back an unquantifiable amount. Weren't they going to use him as the face of the franchise to attract other FAs? If he had seen some progress on the court as far as wins maybe they could have kept him but you had Fizdale throwing out random lineups night after night and benching his best players for young guys that didn't deserve to play ahead of the vets. Maybe Fiz should have had them rotate through the GLeague instead to get their playing time. I still don't know if Fizdale really has a strategy because it sure looks like he's tanking but who knows, all I know is the team is worse in mid season than it was in NOV.

And that BS with Obama's brother in law that the organization has the secret sauce for player development but he could not share it because then it wouldn't be secret.

Now after trading him the Knicks have to get real lucky and hope they have a 14% chance of getting Zion or that any top FA is going to sign when the guy they call the Unicorn isn't here to play with them. I doubt it, more likely they pay THJ money for a guy like KCP, who couldn't get more than 1 year deals from the Lakers or that procession of 1 yr players like DRose, Affalo, DWill that we've had since PJ was here and speaking of PJ how come Mills doesn't get some of the blame for that disaster, wasn't he president at the time and wasn't he in on the interview process. Perry might be a good hire but Mills has proven nothing and Porzingis had every right to say under his breath the Knicks are full of it with the record what it is.

I find it comical that some NBA talking heads who pooped on KP while he was a Knick are suddenly claiming he?s better than Kyrie.

I?m extremely disappointed that KP?s immaturity brought us to this point.

Games played: 72, 65, 48, 0...

And, let?s be honest, he was the unicorn until Jan all 3 seasons. His body not strong enough to handle 82 game season THEN the post season. Nobody that tall has suffered ACL injury... there are major health concerns.

It?s a shame that KP has hated Knicks since P-Jax and Melo parted ways. I find it alarming he didn?t give the new regime a new chance... but maybe he just didn?t like Mills and Dolan.

But what were our options? KP returns and looks like Gordon Heyward? He has no trade value next feb... then he walks next summer?

KP is 23... in a great org now, alongside a perfect fit for him. I wish him luck and hope he stays healthy and proves what he is on the court, one way or another.

I want to believe Perry did his due diligence and sniffed around and didn?t jump at the first offer.

I?m hoping we don?t sit back and be at the mercy of free agents. Try to pry a Ball, Jrue player (if AD is going to LA). I hope we look at Parker and other options.

I think Russell?s emergence has bolstered DSJ?s stock...

But, mainly, I hope we find a coach who lets the kids play and works on the OFFENSE!!! Every rule is geared towards the offense and we have a coach trying to demand defense from young kids. Sure, work on it... but focus on their offense and just make sure they hustle in the other end and don?t develop bad habits.

So... Fizdale better let DSJ do his things. Maybe we fall for Mudiay-DSJ and don?t have to max out the oft injured Kyrie. Don?t freak out if the 30-yr-old Durant won?t come unless he gets sun and moon.

Try to pry Harris or Kwahi... be smart and realize a real rebuild is fine. We have teenagers!!! We have time to build this right.

In order for this gamble to be digestsable... we must develop DSJ and we must turn those 2 first rounders into at least 1 impactful player.

This hurts, but this is what we should?ve done when Melo wanted to bolt to CHI.

I agree with front office in the sense that we want people who want to be here.

mafra

Legend
What?s your dream/ideal starting line come next Fall:

Kyrie
DSJ
Kawhi
Vonleh
Davis

Trier (6th man)
Mudiay, Dotson, Robinson

Or

Kyrie
DSJ
Zion
KD
Robinson

Or

Rozier
DSJ
Zion
Harris
Jordan

If we?re going full on fantasy, no doubt the 2 FA signees would be Durant and Leonard. Lineup of MRob, Durant, KL, Trier or Dotson, and DSJ. With DSJ in the fold, Mudiay needs to go to the 2nd unit. If we use DSJ in any other role than primary ballhandler, we have seriously screwed up.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Woke up in the morning, found this knife stuck in my back.
oh well..

mafra

Legend
I would let DSJ, Knits, Knox, Vonley, Robinson roll as starters (and 28 minute players). Trier is my 6th man. Mudiay, Dotson, Kornet and the rest fill it out. Just let that 5 play 20 minutes a night together and get 30 games of experience under their belt.

tiger0330

Legend
I would let DSJ, Knits, Knox, Vonley, Robinson roll as starters (and 28 minute players). Trier is my 6th man. Mudiay, Dotson, Kornet and the rest fill it out. Just let that 5 play 20 minutes a night together and get 30 games of experience under their belt.
Perry really seems to be bracing for the possibility that no one wants to sign here. Build through the draft using young players is the mantra . Perfect strategy for job security for Mills, Perry and Fiz, it could take years and every off season you point out it took the Sixers years of losing before they could beat the Dubs in their building like the did tonight.

paris401

Starter
We have options... so many options now... but, seriously, if you were Demps... what is best backage?

Ingram, Ball, Zucic, and a first
Tatum, Heyward, 4 picks
Knox, Knits, Zion and another 1st

Our packages will be comparable... it?s up to Demps and what he likes.
To me, have another couple years of control is crucial. They?ve already lost paul and AD... why would Tatum or Ball stay there.
And, with AD... we have room for 2 max contracts...
P.

knox/knits/zion add up to 13m...give or take.. AD makes 25m give or take... wheres the other 12m coming from??

Few interesting things that I read this morning. One, KP is basically cleared to play and the Knicks didn?t want to bring him back this season and potentially jeopardize the tank for the possible #1 pick. Two, Knicks had other offers for KP besides the one they took with Dallas. Three, Twitter trolls like Embiid may be laughing, but other teams? executives are not.

AD apparently told the Pelicans that he didn?t want to be traded to Boston because he thinks Irving is going to leave in free agency. We are now a destination where the pitch is going to be that 2 max contract free agents can choose to play together with us. Our odds are still very low of getting any stars, but stars should at least now want to meet with us and hear our pitch.

I stand by that no star players were going to be attracted to NYC to play with KP. We went through this with Melo. An elite scorer like Durant is still also averaging almost 6 assists a game this season. He shares the ball. KP is averaging 1.3 assists for his career. He is a bigger ball hog than even Melo.

Umm, our front office may actually be onto something.

Remember when Kyrie Irving said back in October he was resigning with the Celtics. When asked today if he was still planning on resigning with Boston, his answer was ?Ask me July 1st?.

To add further fuel to the fire. Apparently at least one other team?s executive thinks that you only make this KP trade because you have information to make you confident that you are getting Kevin Durant.

Broadway

All Star
Umm, our front office may actually be onto something.

Remember when Kyrie Irving said back in October he was resigning with the Celtics. When asked today if he was still planning on resigning with Boston, his answer was “Ask me July 1st”.

To add further fuel to the fire. Apparently at least one other team’s executive thinks that you only make this KP trade because you have information to make you confident that you are getting Kevin Durant.

Kyrie also said to end today presser Boston is obviously at the head of the race, so while it seems like there's doubt this is more a case of a guy who wants to be held in high regard coveted so he can get paid.

Interesting take on #kporzee because according to Mills if he hadn't walked into his office and demanded to be traded and showed good work ethic and team camaraderie this yr, he'd still be a Knick. They even publicly said as much earlier in the yr the plan was to resign him this summer. So what really altered the plan was #kporzee and no one else, if we take Mills at his words. The Cap Space is the super sale from the aftermath which no problem with it but this wasn't an original plan AT ALL!

We also pitched to trade for AD and appear to still want to do so this summer

mafra

Legend
I?m excited for 2 reasons:

1- Knicks didn?t repeat the Melo error. KP wanted out, so we moved quickly and ripped the band aid off. I can see why many feel we?ve been ripped off... but we getting 2 first rounders (1 unprotected) and DSJ and cap relief was about all we were gonna get for KP (unless we gambled and let him return, weaken our tank position, and hoped he returned to form between now and next Feb).

2- We get to witness KP and Doncic play together. While I?ll never leave NYK, I may find myself watching more Mavs games than Knick games if we fail this july.

Kyrie also said to end today presser Boston is obviously at the head of the race, so while it seems like there's doubt this is more a case of a guy who wants to be held in high regard coveted so he can get paid.

Interesting take on #kporzee because according to Mills if he hadn't walked into his office and demanded to be traded and showed good work ethic and team camaraderie this yr, he'd still be a Knick. They even publicly said as much earlier in the yr the plan was to resign him this summer. So what really altered the plan was #kporzee and no one else, if we take Mills at his words. The Cap Space is the super sale from the aftermath which no problem with it but this wasn't an original plan AT ALL!

We also pitched to trade for AD and appear to still want to do so this summer

Original plan or not, I?m cautiously optimistic for this offseason. Either pull off the long shot and get 2 stars or get nobody, play for the lottery again next season, and use our cap space as a means to absorb other teams? contracts if they also are going to send us draft picks.

Read on Hoopshype that at least one team has already approached our front office about trading for Wesley Matthews.

mafra

Legend
SI article says this was the smart move:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.si...aps-porzingis-free-agency-kevin-durant-rumors

?It could backfire spectacularly, yes, but that's fine. The Knicks now have a chance to build an honest-to-god title contender this summer. That matters. Keeping Porzingis and playing things "smart" would have been a great way to impress NBA Twitter and then win 43 games next year. Purely from a process standpoint, this was the better play.

The first way you can tell this trade was the right decision? The Boston Celtics and all their fans almost certainly hated it. Ditto for the Golden State Warriors. The Knicks began Thursday without enough cap space to sign Kevin Durant, and by Thursday afternoon they had $74.6 million to spend this summer?enough space to sign both Durant and an additional superstar on a max contract. They also have Kevin Knox, Frank Ntilikina, Dennis Smith, Jr., and seven first?round picks over the next five years?those are trade assets for a third star.

Skeptics will look at the Porzingis trade and tell you that the Knicks had better go sign Kevin Durant and another superstar, or else this will be a horrible mistake that will haunt the team for decades. Really? Come on, people.

Four to five NBA teams have a shot to win the title in any given year, and the Knicks just put themselves in that conversation headed into next summer. That meant parting ways with Porzingis, an oft-injured quasi-superstar who has the spent the past two years moping and making demands as if he's a perennial All-NBA candidate. Even if Porzingis goes to Dallas and the medical staff keeps him on the court and he becomes a Hall of Famer?this might happen?the risk on New York's end has been overstated on all sides.?

Broadway

All Star
Original plan or not, I’m cautiously optimistic for this offseason. Either pull off the long shot and get 2 stars or get nobody, play for the lottery again next season, and use our cap space as a means to absorb other teams’ contracts if they also are going to send us draft picks.

I'm good with it too, I'm more than okay if we don't land a Mega Star outside of who we draft. Another reason I think #kporzee wanted out because he knew sure as day he wasn't going to be DA MAN anymore, he would've had to make plenty room one way or another. Now he can go to Dallas and be a Co-equal or quite possibly DA MAN. One thing for sure we'll get to see how he meshes with a true talent in Donchiss

Also what an odd set of circumstances,

We trade the guy dubbed "Unicorn" by KD although he was probably more "My Little Pony" when adding injury history, yet the objective is to lure KD here? I bet if #kporzee was slandering us behind our back as some are reporting the first person he probably contacted was Snake Non Grata in KD

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
CLEARLY, no debating!

SI article says this was the smart move:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.si...aps-porzingis-free-agency-kevin-durant-rumors

“It could backfire spectacularly, yes, but that's fine. The Knicks now have a chance to build an honest-to-god title contender this summer. That matters. Keeping Porzingis and playing things "smart" would have been a great way to impress NBA Twitter and then win 43 games next year. Purely from a process standpoint, this was the better play.

The first way you can tell this trade was the right decision? The Boston Celtics and all their fans almost certainly hated it. Ditto for the Golden State Warriors. The Knicks began Thursday without enough cap space to sign Kevin Durant, and by Thursday afternoon they had $74.6 million to spend this summer—enough space to sign both Durant and an additional superstar on a max contract. They also have Kevin Knox, Frank Ntilikina, Dennis Smith, Jr., and seven first–round picks over the next five years—those are trade assets for a third star.

Skeptics will look at the Porzingis trade and tell you that the Knicks had better go sign Kevin Durant and another superstar, or else this will be a horrible mistake that will haunt the team for decades. Really? Come on, people.

Four to five NBA teams have a shot to win the title in any given year, and the Knicks just put themselves in that conversation headed into next summer. That meant parting ways with Porzingis, an oft-injured quasi-superstar who has the spent the past two years moping and making demands as if he's a perennial All-NBA candidate. Even if Porzingis goes to Dallas and the medical staff keeps him on the court and he becomes a Hall of Famer—this might happen—the risk on New York's end has been overstated on all sides.“