Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Veteran

Never did the math myself, but Alan Hahn just said that when KP 1st plays for the Mavs next season that he will have been out of action for 20 months. Wow. Some people could argue that we were lucky the Mavs valued him as high as they did.

Is this what KP meant by “Stay Woke”?

https://nypost.com/2019/02/05/krista...e-with-knicks/

DALLAS — Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle is off to a flying start in dealing with Janis Porzingis, Kristaps Porzingis’ influential brother/agent who paved the way for his departure from New York.

During Monday’s introductory press conference here, Carlisle gave a shout-out to Janis and Porzingis’ personal physiotherapist from the Spanish League, Manolo Valdivieso, who has lived with Kristaps in New York the past two seasons.

Valdivieso was at the Mavericks’ practice facility Tuesday as Porzingis went to work out in the weight room, already getting access. Carlisle revealed he had a two-hour meeting with Janis on Sunday and called him part of “our team.’’

Janis, who had a modest European playing career, wanted to be a bigger part of the Knicks’ team, too. According to sources, Janis asked for jobs for some members of Porzingis’ entourage. But nothing ever materialized.

It’s not uncommon for these type of jobs to be granted to a team’s superstar. When Carmelo Anthony was a Knick, Asani Swann was on the Knicks payroll with an official position, director of player relations. Swann was Anthony’s longtime branding manager and worked solely with Anthony.

Amare Stoudemire’s security man, Max Cayard, was named to the Knicks security staff soon after Stoudemire signed. When Anthony and Stoudemire moved on, so did Swann and Cayard.

Ultimately, Knicks brass could never satisfy Janis, whom Kristaps believes in fully. Janis felt the franchise, based on its history with Steve Mills’ past performance, was not moving in a winning direction.

During Thursday’s fateful meeting with Knicks brass, Janis delivered a list of teams high on Porzingis’ list with whom he’d want to re-sign long term — with the Spurs, Raptors, Nets and Clippers included, according to a source.

The Mavericks were not on the list — which is likely why Mavs owner Mark Cuban intercepted a question to Porzingis on Monday about his long-term future. However, money is important to the Porzingis family and nobody within the Mavericks organization believes he’d sign a one-year qualifying offer and pass on $154 million.

According to sources, Janis Porzingis became a severe thorn in Phil Jackson’s side, staging Kristaps’ missed exit meeting after the 2016-17 season. Jackson wanted to trade Porzingis at the 2017 trade deadline because he got bad vibes from Janis regarding Porzingis’ future.

Jackson could have hauled in a package from Phoenix including Devin Booker that also would have netted Lauri Markkanen in the draft.

Janis also decided his brother’s offseason rehab should take place at Real Madrid instead of the Hospital for Special Surgery.

“Janis wanted the kingdom,’’ one source familiar with the situation told The Post.

The Knicks had no idea when they drafted Porzingis that Janis would loom this large.

“He’s the big brother and wants to protect him and I’m sure over the years his ego and confidence in handling Kristaps has grown,’’ one NBA source said. “It could also be the Knicks’ fault. You have to set boundaries … but they allowed him everywhere and that created Janis knowing and seeing everything.”

Porzingis initially was represented by Andy Miller, who had a good relationship with the Knicks. Janis joined Miller’s powerful ASM Sports agency but that no longer exists.

Cuban has an over-the-top personality, so his relationship with Janis bears watching. Knicks brass no longer has to worry about it.

12th man

Carlisle did not put any of the traded ex-Knick players in his starter lineup ..
    Our inexperience TANK-TANK Fizdale couldnt wait to put all 3 ex-Mav players DSJ Wes and D.Jordan in the starter lineup.
    Timmy and Burke are getting a couple minutes off the bench tonight.

Veteran

Just read online that the Kings rejected a trade of either De'Aaron Fox or Marvin Bagley for Porzingis. Despite contrary reports, I still think Phoenix told us to piss off when we asked for Devin Booker for KP. Pelicans didn't want KP for Anthony Davis. Given that it is now clear we had to move KP or risk getting nothing for him, we may very well have found the one team in Dallas that was willing to make a reasonable trade with us before it was too late.

There’s no precedent for 7”3’ men returning from serious ACL injury. It helps he’s more of a perimeter player... still...

Could NY play him and showcase him Nov-Feb next season? Sure, and if he returned to form he would’ve fetched a lot more... albeit the issue would’ve been that he could dictate bc of his impending free agent status. So, we acted and got fair value.

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by htr10 View Post
    Just read online that the Kings rejected a trade of either De'Aaron Fox or Marvin Bagley for Porzingis. Despite contrary reports, I still think Phoenix told us to piss off when we asked for Devin Booker for KP. Pelicans didn't want KP for Anthony Davis. Given that it is now clear we had to move KP or risk getting nothing for him, we may very well have found the one team in Dallas that was willing to make a reasonable trade with us before it was too late.
    It was the right call. They traded him early before word could start getting out about what teams he would or wouldn't be willing to go to

Disgruntled superstars don't lead you to championships

Veteran

Latest story I just read online states that KP thinks Durant could be coming to the Knicks next season and he didn’t want to have to play with him next season and no longer be the star of the team. This seems like a really hard thing to believe.
    Last edited by htr10; Feb 23, 2019 at 11:03.

Veteran

sure.. durant wants to come here n play with this bunch of losers.... tho who knows... lebron can go anywhere, n make a bunch of losers a playoff team... maybe durant wants to do the same... tho i think there is only one 'bron... luv him or hate him (i'm part of the hate..or lets say 'dislike group), u gotta give him kudos for his ability to make the players around him better...

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by paris401 View Post
    sure.. durant wants to come here n play with this bunch of losers.... tho who knows... lebron can go anywhere, n make a bunch of losers a playoff team... maybe durant wants to do the same... tho i think there is only one 'bron... luv him or hate him (i'm part of the hate..or lets say 'dislike group), u gotta give him kudos for his ability to make the players around him better...
    No one is coming here to play with our current roster. Players are only going to come here to play with other guys we bring in at the same time. No one was coming here to play with
    KP. I know that much.

Now the word is KP wasn’t happy that the Knicks wanted to chase max free agents this summer. He wanted them to build team around him.

That probably would’ve been the best plan. Preserve cap space... see what kids could do... add a lottery pick or 2... then chase Greek Freak in 2021.

I think this is only a half truth tho. He should’ve signed extension then to prove it and to take away the max option.

Quote Originally Posted by mafra View Post
    Now the word is KP wasn’t happy that the Knicks wanted to chase max free agents this summer. He wanted them to build team around him.

That probably would’ve been the best plan. Preserve cap space... see what kids could do... add a lottery pick or 2... then chase Greek Freak in 2021.

I think this is only a half truth tho. He should’ve signed extension then to prove it and to take away the max option.
    Porzingis sure thinks high of himself for someone who's missed a lot of games in his unproven career.

Sig made by Sons of Thunder

12th man

Quote Originally Posted by RunningJumper View Post
    Porzingis sure thinks high of himself for someone who's missed a lot of games in his unproven career.
    I still think the Knicks not extending him when he was injured was the reason for his breakup with the the Knicks rather than these reports that he was unhappy with not being the focal point of the rebuild. The kid did turn into a prima donna though, his love for NY was a bunch of BS. The TOR fans gave DeRozan a hero's welcome in his return to TOR, KP doesn't deserve the same from NY fans.

Veteran

Can’t forget KP, apparently due to his brother Janis, skipped out on his exit interview after his 2nd season. I forget who said it, maybe Walt, that they had never heard of a player doing that, ever.

It will be interesting to see what Mark Cuban has to do to keep KP and his brother happy if the Mavs can’t make the playoffs next season in the crowded West and they don’t have enough assets left to significantly improve the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by htr10 View Post
    Can’t forget KP, apparently due to his brother Janis, skipped out on his exit interview after his 2nd season. I forget who said it, maybe Walt, that they had never heard of a player doing that, ever.

It will be interesting to see what Mark Cuban has to do to keep KP and his brother happy if the Mavs can’t make the playoffs next season in the crowded West and they don’t have enough assets left to significantly improve the roster.
    I think KP’s brother has LAK and LeBron on his mind. It’ll be interesting, indeed. Does he stay in DAL to be Doncic’s sidekick? A forever Robyn?

Or, will he head to LAK and be “the man” to help LJ win in his twilight years?

Veteran

Or, will he head to LAK and be “the man” to help LJ win in his twilight years?
    or does he go west n watch from the bench on IR???
    Last edited by rady; Feb 26, 2019 at 00:11.