Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Veteran

I take back every negative thing that I said about our front office. They nailed this deal. Now we can finally rebuild the right way.

12th man

A massive salary clearing move for the Knicks with the Knicks now having 71M in cap space this summer. Mavs owe ATL their first this year for Doncic and you can't trade your 1st 2 yrs in a row so we get their 2021 first at the earliest and another unspecified one that will either be 2023 or one they acquire through trade. We didn't make this trade for draft picks. As far as players, we'll most likely buy out DJ or Kanter or both and allow Matthew's to play out his contract this year so we effectively traded KP for DSJ. Knicks have to convert that cap space into players so until they do I don't think you can call this a great trade just yet.
    Last edited by tiger0330; Jan 31, 2019 at 18:28.

Veteran

Originally Posted by tiger0330
    A massive salary clearing move for the Knicks with the Knicks now having 71M in cap space this summer. Mavs owe ATL their first this year for Doncic and you can't trade your 1st 2 yrs in a row so we get their 2020 first at the earliest and another unspecified one that will either be 2022 or one they acquire through trade. We didn't make this trade for draft picks. As far as players, we'll most likely buy out DJ or Kanter or both and allow Matthew's to play out his contract this year so we effectively traded KP for DSJ. Knicks have to convert that cap space into players so until they do I don't think you can call this a great trade just yet.
    Iím looking at it from the perspective that KP was going to leave this franchise high and dry in free agency eventually anyway. I had a feeling we were headed for disaster with him when we declined to extend him this offseason. I have no problem with using him to move THJ and Leeís deals which otherwise would have forced us to use 1st round picks to do. This deal is terrible pre-ACL tear, but Iím more than okay with it under the current circumstances. This franchise needed a complete enema and this it it.
    Last edited by htr10; Jan 31, 2019 at 18:17.

I think Burke is heading to DAL, too. Yes, Mavs attempting to procur a 1st (somehow) and would presumably flip that to NY...

KP is injured and was probably walking anyway. Just curious we wouldnít open this up to a bidding war. This leads me to believe they have a good idea theyíre in the mix for something in free agency.

Of course, like with the Melo deal... Dolan never was a good negotiator. I mean, why not let this drag on until deadline?

Cuban probably met with Dolan last night and said this offer is good for 24 hours, bc he didnít want NY shopping around.

I have to believe we can trade Jordan, Kanter, Matthews. I mean, they must have some value?

Veteran

As Tig explained, sounds like we are getting protected 1st round picks in 2021 and 2023 unless Mavericks get a sooner 1st round pick through trade. Obviously, looking that far ahead is hard to do, but it what it is.

12th man

Originally Posted by mafra
    I think Burke is heading to DAL, too. Yes, Mavs attempting to procur a 1st (somehow) and would presumably flip that to NY...

KP is injured and was probably walking anyway. Just curious we wouldn’t open this up to a bidding war. This leads me to believe they have a good idea they’re in the mix for something in free agency.

Of course, like with the Melo deal... Dolan never was a good negotiator. I mean, why not let this drag on until deadline?

Cuban probably met with Dolan last night and said this offer is good for 24 hours, bc he didn’t want NY shopping around.

I have to believe we can trade Jordan, Kanter, Matthews. I mean, they must have some value?
    They're expiring contracts, it'll be a miracle if the Knicks get anything for them. Playing them only jeopardizes the tank, maybe you keep one of them because we need bodies but buying out the two bigs and developing MRob and Luke makes sense.

Veteran

Originally Posted by htr10
    As Tig explained, sounds like we are getting protected 1st round picks in 2021 and 2023 unless Mavericks get a sooner 1st round pick through trade. Obviously, looking that far ahead is hard to do, but it what it is.
    Now Iím reading that the 2021 pick is unprotected and the 2023 pick is 1 to 10 protected.

Veteran

Originally Posted by mafra
    Fizdale pissed off Gasol, couldnít reach KP, is battling with Kanter, canít develop Knits. No more Eruos for Fiz.
    Quite the observation : )

Originally Posted by htr10
    Well, thatís a wise move. 2 better than 1. Helped BOS planning for the future. Plus, more picks to trade.

12th man

Kellerman hates the trade. Stephen A. says it's exciting for the POTENTIAL to pick up KD Kawhi or Kyrie and mentions KP telling other players not to come because he wouldn't be here and the organization was a mess. General feeling I get is most feel giving up an perhaps a potential transcendent talent like KP for DSJ was terrible. Bottom line the Knicks have to turn that cap space into wins that gets them into the playoffs next year and not in the 3-5 years it would take doing it through the draft.

Last edited by tiger0330; Jan 31, 2019 at 19:21.

Kellerman hates the trade. Stephen A. says it's exciting for the POTENTIAL to pick up KD Kawhi or Kyrie and mentions KP telling other players not to come because he wouldn't be here and the organization was a mess. General feeling I get is most feel giving up an perhaps a potential transcendent talent like KP for DSJ was terrible. Bottom line the Knicks have to turn that cap space into wins that gets them into the playoffs next year and not in the 3-5 years it would take doing it through the draft.

Yes, NY has to utilize the cap space... we dealt KP (who we could control for 1 more season) for DSJ, cap room, and 2 first rounders.

But KP is injured and a malcontent and was already out the door. No guy would come here by himself, especially with KP bad mouthing team.

I like the deal regardless... KP didnít want to be here, canít stay healthy and is a pain in the arse.

My beef is that I wanted KP to be great and why didnít we ship him?

I have to believe they feel good about their odds to get KI and KD. We shall see what happens come July.

As Hahn said, ďwe traded KP for airĒ

1 thing tho... we canít sette and sign more Hardaway type deals for second tier players, just to bring in somebody.

Veteran

A lot of the analysis is ignoring that KP requested a trade earlier today. He is of no use to us this season and he was gone after next season. As others have said, how was our front office supposed to accomplish anything until KP was moved? Only question is whether or not we could have gotten a better deal before the deadline. Pelicans reportedly did NOT want KP. Only way we could have done better is cleared all that cap space and instead gotten sooner 1st round picks in 2019 and 2021 (instead of 2021 and 2023) and/or gotten a better young player than DSJ.

Someone tell me what other team before this yearís deadline was going to take all that bad salary, send us 2 1st round picks, and give us a better young player than DSJ? Any team that has that package to offer is going after AD, who is a better player and not injured.

If KP plays out his contract in Dallas, doesnít sign an extension, and walks to one of the more desirable teams in the NBA (like AD is going to do with the Lakers), Dallas is going to look awful having made this deal.

12th man

I'm pissed I have to get another avatar and sig. Thought for sure we had our Dirk in Porzingis but it wasn't to be. I will be pissed if he plays for 20 years and puts up the numbers Dirk did for Dallas. I think it's BS that he signs the QO with them so he can become an UFA in 2020. Cuban will sign him.

Veteran

We primarily created the cap space to provide resign possibility of our own free agents not so much for the pipe dream scenarios. Thereís always a chance but whatever they are, itís slim

I'm pissed I have to get another avatar and sig. Thought for sure we had our Dirk in Porzingis but it wasn't to be. I will be pissed if he plays for 20 years and puts up the numbers Dirk did for Dallas. I think it's BS that he signs the QO with them so he can become an UFA in 2020. Cuban will sign him.
    I donít think anybody else was going to give us what DAL did. Cuban has success with Dirk and already has Doncic.... KPís pal... heís going to ignore the injury and knows KP will sign. Maybe only the Spurs mightíve traded us their young PG and some picks...

But NY now has 74 mil! 2 max guys is better than just KP.

We just have to pray this move doesnít mean NY wins some games and slides down to 5 or something.

Even without a max free agent... we still have flexibility. Maybe Mudiay, DSJ, Knits and Trier are our back court. Knox and Mitchell look like legit players. We have a bunch of picks now...