Porzingis wants to be traded

Tig or anyone else with Insider that can explain that ESPN front page story about us making a Durant, Irving, and AD ?superteam??

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
i'm good with it too, i'm more than okay if we don't land a mega star outside of who we draft. Another reason i think #kporzee wanted out because he knew sure as day he wasn't going to be da man anymore, he would've had to make plenty room one way or another. Now he can go to dallas and be a co-equal or quite possibly da man. One thing for sure we'll get to see how he meshes with a true talent in donchiss

also what an odd set of circumstances,

we trade the guy dubbed "unicorn" by kd although he was probably more "my little pony" when adding injury history, yet the objective is to lure kd here? I bet if #kporzee was slandering us behind our back as some are reporting the first person he probably contacted was snake non grata in kd
lmao.......

tiger0330

Legend
Tig or anyone else with Insider that can explain that ESPN front page story about us making a Durant, Irving, and AD “superteam”?
Here's the Insider article with the possibilities. The defining event this off-season, draft Zion Williamson, he would be the catalyst that could set in motion signing some stars or even if we can't attract KD or Kyrie a Tim Duncan type player that could turn around the franchise even more so than Porzingis.

Kevin PeltonESPN Staff Writer

FacebookTwitterFacebook MessengerPinterestEmailprint

What kind of superteam could the New York Knicks put around Kevin Durantand Kyrie Irving?

This week's events have made the idea of the Knicks signing two max free agents this summer seem far more realistic. First, New York created enough cap space to do so by dealing Kristaps Porzingis to the Dallas Mavericks on Thursday while also shedding the salaries of guards Tim Hardaway Jr. and Courtney Lee.

On the heels of that move, Kyrie Irving walked back his preseason commitmentto re-sign with the Boston Celtics, opening the door to him potentially joining Durant -- also an unrestricted free agent this summer -- in New York.

So just what would a Knicks team built around Durant and Irving look like? Could it include Anthony Davis too? Let's take a look at the dream scenarios for a Knicks superteam.

Question 1: How much cap space will New York have?

The answer is enough to sign both Durant and Irving, undoubtedly, though there are some variables to consider. The Knicks have just $15.3 million in 2019-20 salary committed at this point to four players: guards Frank Ntilikinaand Dennis Smith Jr., forward Kevin Knox and center Mitchell Robinson. Add in minimum-salary cap holds to fill out the roster plus the remaining money owed to Joakim Noah and New York could in theory create an unprecedented $80.1 million in room under a projected $109 million salary cap.

EDITOR'S PICKS

Porzingis trade grades: Who wins this blockbuster deal?

What's next for the Knicks' star chase? Will Kristaps Porzingis be a surefire superstar in Dallas? We grade the trade.

Kyrie is in the middle of trade deadline madness

Kyrie Irving's future in Boston is now in doubt, and it's having a huge impact on the trade deadline.

In practice, the Knicks won't need or want that much cap space, which would require declining their team option for guard Allonzo Trier, waiving guard Damyean Dotson and forward Lance Thomas (whose salaries are non-guaranteed), renouncing the rights to all of their free agents and trading this year's first-round pick.

The projected number New York needs to get to is $70.85 million, which is required to sign a player with 10-plus years of experience (Durant) and a player with 7-9 years of experience (Irving) both to maximum contracts if the cap indeed comes in at $109 million. That would allow the Knicks to keep their pick, and where that falls will determine whether they can also keep Dotson, Trier and small cap holds for big men Luke Kornet (restricted) and Noah Vonleh (unrestricted).

Question 2: Where will New York's pick fall?

Besides affecting the team's cap space, the results of the lottery also will determine how potent a rookie the Knicks could add to a Durant-Irving core. All year long, visions of Duke star Zion Williamson playing at Madison Square Garden have danced through fans' heads. Williamson would be a worthy part of a superteam, and is the top pick best equipped to help New York win immediately as the NCAA's leader in Basketball-Reference.com's box plus-minus metric.

Naturally, Williamson comfortably leads all collegiate players in my draft projections, which incorporate where a player sits in ESPN's top 100 rankings. Unfortunately for the Knicks, the No. 2 prospect is Murray State point guard Ja Morant, a talented player who wouldn't be a good long-term fit for a team with Irving. So while I don't buy the narrative that this is a one-player draft, particularly as a rationale for devaluing picks besides the No. 1 overall selection, that might be the case from the standpoint of New York adding someone who can really help win next year.

With this year's new lottery odds, the best a team can do is a 14 percent chance of landing the No. 1 overall pick. To even get that, the Knicks would have to finish with a bottom-three record -- no certainty even as they currently sit last in the league. Three other teams (the Chicago Bulls, Cleveland Cavaliers and Phoenix Suns) are within two wins of New York. Additionally, the lottery changes mean the team with the worst record is guaranteed no better than the No. 5 pick, a spot later than before. As a result, projections based on ESPN's Basketball Power Index show the No. 4 pick as the average outcome for New York and the No. 5 or No. 6 picks as most likely.

Question 3: Could the Knicks trade for Anthony Davis too?

Hypothetically, yes. New York's path to three superstar players would require signing Durant and Irving first to exhaust the team's cap space, then trading just about everything else to the New Orleans Pelicans to match Davis' $27.1 million salary. The Knicks would have to send back $21.6 million in salary, and as noted earlier that's more than all their currently guaranteed 2019-20 contracts combined.

Realistically, this year's pick would have to be part of any Davis trade, and New York could use the same strategy as the Cleveland Cavaliers did with Andrew Wiggins in 2014 by signing the pick first and subsequently trading him 30 days later when his salary counts for matching purposes.

If the Knicks got the No. 5 pick (which carries a projected starting salary of $6.3 million), a package of the pick, Dotson, Knox, Ntilikina and Smith would just barely be enough to make a legal trade. It's possible an offer like that -- which might also include the future picks New York acquired in the Porzingis deal -- could interest the Pelicans if they don't want to trade Davis to the conference rival L.A. Lakers and the Celtics no longer bid as aggressively because of Irving's departure.

Question 4: How could the Knicks fill out the roster?

Setting aside the possibility of a Davis trade, let's imagine the more conventional scenario where New York signs Durant and Irving outright while retaining the young talent on the roster. That would give the Knicks a depth chart something like this:

PG: Irving/Smith
SG: Ntilikina/Trier/Dotson
SF: Knox
PF: Durant
C: Robinson/Kornet

New York's lottery pick also would be in the mix, but there's a glaring hole on the wing (or at power forward if Durant prefers to play the 3). The Knicks would then have only the room midlevel exception, projected at $4.8 million, to offer free agents more than the veterans minimum. New York probably would want to earmark that money for a veteran wing who could rebuild his value playing for a contender. Wesley Matthews, acquired in the Porzingis trade, could be a candidate for that spot if his market craters, with DeMarre Carroll a more realistic possibility.

The Knicks also could look to trade some of their young players for veterans who could help them win now. Smith, blocked on the depth chart by Irving's arrival, would be an obvious trade candidate -- particularly if he can improve his value with a strong finish to the season.

Barring a blockbuster trade or winning the lottery, I don't think New York would be a championship contender next season with Durant and Irving. Despite the fact that they might be the league's best duo depending where Davis goes, the Knicks would have an almost unprecedented drop-off from their best two players to their third-best. (It's unclear who that player would even be.)

The problem is New York's recent lottery picks have yet to produce returns on their potential. Though Ntilikina has impressed defensively, he doesn't contribute enough offense to stay on the court for a contending team. His .419 true shooting percentage this season is worst among players with at least 500 minutes of action, per Basketball-Reference.com, and nobody else is even close. The next-worst mark in this group is Jonathon Simmons' .445 true shooting.

With a .474 true shooting percentage, Knox hasn't been much more efficient as a rookie. That will surely improve, particularly if he's not asked to create as much of his own offense, but Knox's contributions elsewhere in the box score are also limited. His combined averages of 2.3 assists, blocks and steals per 36 minutes are third-lowest among players with at least 500 minutes this season, ahead of only Alfonzo McKinnie and Gerald Green. As a result, Knox ranks last among small forwards in ESPN's real plus-minus. (Ntilikina is second from the bottom at point guard.)

So while Durant and Irving would surely lift the Knicks back into the playoffs, to build a contending team New York will either have to get lucky in the lottery or convince another team to value Knox and Ntilikina as highly as they were selected.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that, Tig.

Sounds like we could have a superteam of Durant, Irving, and AD with the rest of our roster filled out with mannequins. Someone get Pat Riley in here to figure this out for us.

tiger0330

Legend
Thanks for posting that, Tig.

Sounds like we could have a superteam of Durant, Irving, and AD with the rest of our roster filled out with mannequins. Someone get Pat Riley in here to figure this out for us.
I'd faint if the Knicks could pull off signing KD and Kyrie with the remaining roster.

paris401

Starter
we will have to trade the whole team to match salaries for AD ( i think u need to match salaries)... then we sign durant and irving - we need 5 guys and a bench.. who may those guys be??

we will have to trade the whole team to match salaries for AD ( i think u need to match salaries)... then we sign durant and irving - we need 5 guys and a bench.. who may those guys be??

In that ESPN dream scenario, we?d have to sign KD and KI, then trade the entire team we have left including our 2019 1st round pick to get AD. Based on what Miami had to do with their Lebron/Wade/Bosh superteam, rest of roster would have to be veterans willing to play for the minimum and 2nd round/undrafted rookies. Literally only Pat Riley could have made something like that work.

Now Cuban is saying that KP likely won?t play this season. WTF. I thought that was supposed to have been a point of contention between KP and our front office.

Paul1355

All Star
I think AD became off limits if you believe his eventual goal is to go to the Lakers.

Who says that is his only desired team? Reports now have Lakers and Knicks..in a crazy way we can potentially have him and two and guys if we pulled off a trade involving our picks and young players

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mafra

Legend
His dad and his agent want him in L.A. bad and they want a deal done before the deadline expires

I?ve heard his father is considering both NYK and LAK. By his agent, you mean LJ?s high school buddy. I think if NY gets the #1 pick... AD is ours. AD, KD, and Kyrie. So, we have about 14% chance of that happening....

I could see AD being open to being traded to the Knicks and signing an extension if at least one star signs with us this offseason. Otherwise, I don?t believe for one second AD wants to come here.

Broadway

All Star
I could see AD being open to being traded to the Knicks and signing an extension if at least one star signs with us this offseason. Otherwise, I don’t believe for one second AD wants to come here.

He doesn't and there are several reports he doesn't. Woj just spoke during half time and said it's LA or Boston which is really the belief most figure if and when he gets moved. Pels are intent on waiting have already spoke to Boston and are willing to wait to talk to them again.

I also feel Pels want Boston to remain heavily relevant because if they have to deal him to LA it will push them to the absolute brink of what they'll have to give up, otherwise he rots in New Orleans next yr

Our shot in the dark will require us to make more moves, having the #1 pick and distant future picks won't work

mafra

Legend
Would we prefer KD and KI with our current roster and lottery pick? Or with AD and roster fillers and a few of our young kids?

mafra

Legend
In the 2013 draft, 9 picks before NYK selected Hardaway Jr, Mil drafts giannis antetokounmpo.

In the 2014 draft, 7 picks after Phil drafted Cleanthony Early, Denver selected Nikola Jocic with the 41st pick.

The Latvian Unicorn arrives on the scene in 2015... Since being taken 4th... KP has missed 60 games over the course of his first 3 seasons... He?s poised to miss all 82 this year. That makes 142 missed games (out of a possible 328 games) over KP?s first 4 seasons.

Remember, KAT... they guy we lost bc of a couple meaningless wins in late March... want to know how many missed games he?s had since he was drafted?
ZERO! He?s played well in them all. That?s right, you heard me... he?s never missed a game.

Denver is the #1 team in the Western Conference. Minnesota trails 8th seed LAK by 2 games on the loss side. MIL has the NBA?s best record and made playoffs last year.

3 Overseas (unusual) bigs... a top pick, a mid rounder and a second round guy. Playing in small markets (Min, Mil, Den).... Northwest to West... Cold. All 3 now franchise players. Established. Consistent production. Nov-Jun. And all 3 without co-stars (in the top 20 type supporting star). All in positions where free agents ignore... yet, somehow, all 3 signed their max extensions.

Yet... KP has the hutspah to mope around with a false bravado and overbearing stuparrogance for nearly 2 years. Acts like he?s on the same level as Giannis, Jocic, or KAT... Then says he doesn?t like the direction we are going? Well... guess what KP? That?s because KP hasn't lived up to the gold standard... He plays barely 2/3rds of the games, never passed, never played well after DEC, when healthy... huh! why we are where we are?

Come on, bro!

About those picks in 2021 and 2023... look st the best team in the West... their starting PG: Jamal Murray.

In 2016, DEN takes Jamal Murray at 7 (with a pick DEN acquired from NYK in 2011, as part of the Melo trade). In 5 years its in 2024... we get those picks sooner.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
This is why I wouldn?t have stretched Noah... DAL would?ve taken Noah?s contract in this deal.

Broadway

All Star
This is why I wouldn’t have stretched Noah... DAL would’ve taken Noah’s contract in this deal.

But we'd still have either THJR or LEE's on the book at full rate. No way Mavs take all three and it probably resulted in us being able to ask for picks instead of getting a pick.

Stretching Noah was a good move in the end!

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Btu we'd still have either THJR or LEE's on the book at full rate. No way Mavs take all three and it probably resulted in us being able to ask for picks instead of getting a pick.

Stretching Noah was a good move in the end!

I?m not sure if the money would?ve matched... but Cuban would?ve done whatever to get KP. Maybe we keep Lee and stretch him... we?ll never know now tho.

The good news is we are rid of those 3 contracts, even thou partial Noah on books for a few more years...

KP would?ve held us hostage... and for a guy who played in less games than Eddy Curry... we couldn?t abide that. Good move regardless.

I?m sure we got rid of Noah bc we didn?t want toxic attitude infecting kids.. It?s probably why we didn?t want KP around in his walk year.

Any idea how it works with Wes and DJ? If they expire, can we go over the cap to re-sign them (since they are our own, or is it different for mid-season pickups). Sounds like DJ pals
With KD, and Wes and DJ solid roster fillers,
if we can go over cap to sign them.

Last edited: