201933.png

201599.png
203083.png

Injury Report

New York KnicksDetroit Pistons
Emmanuel Mudiay - Strained left shoulder (OUT)No injury to report
Frank Ntilikina - Sore groin (OUT)-

Game Preview

With thoughts of free-agent stars potentially finding their way to "The City That Never Sleeps," the current New York Knicks' cast will attempt to wake up from a persistent nightmare on Friday when it visits the Detroit Pistons.

The Pistons (24-29) handed the NBA-worst Knicks (10-43) their 14th consecutive defeat and 22nd in 23 games on Tuesday with a 105-92 decision in the front end of the home-and-home set.

Blake Griffin scored 29 points, and Andre Drummond added 17 to go along with 16 rebounds as Detroit defeated New York for the fifth straight time and kept its hapless foe winless since its 119-112 victory over the Los Angeles Lakers on Jan 4.

The new-look Knicks inserted guards Dennis Smith Jr. and Wesley Matthews as well as center DeAndre Jordan into the starting lineup in just their second game with the team since being acquired from Dallas in the Kristaps Porzingis trade last week.

The results were a bit of a mixed bag, with Smith representing the positive following a game-high 25 points on 11-for-25 shooting from the field.

"We were trying to find the right guys," Detroit coach Dwane Casey said of defending Smith. "There's no magic wand, there's no magic potion."

Matthews wasn't as fortunate as Smith, as his 2-for-11 effort from the field resulted in just nine points, while Jordan had eight points and eight rebounds.

"I want to see how it all looks together. These guys could wind up being a part of our future," Knicks coach David Fizdale said of the new-look lineup. "I'm trying to give them the early minutes now so that they can catch up and learn our stuff pretty fast."

Things changed quickly, however, as Matthews is reportedly being bought out and will sign with the Indiana Pacers. The team is expected to keep Jordan rather than buying him out, but center Enes Kanter -- who was removed from the rotation in recent weeks -- was reportedly bought out Thursday, making him a free agent.

While many fans are casting an eye toward the summer, when the Knicks officially can chase stars in free agency, the team's current roster will need to contend with keeping Griffin under wraps on Friday.

Griffin, who was acquired in a blockbuster deal prior to last year's trade deadline, scored 30 points in the Pistons' 115-108 home win over the Knicks on Nov. 27. Reggie Jackson had 21 points in that contest and added 19 in Tuesday's tilt as Detroit recorded its third win in its last four games.

"It's important to come out and not take any team lightly and come out and just execute, let our execution take care of the game for us," said Griffin, who is headed to his sixth All-Star Game and first since 2014-15.

Like the Knicks, the Pistons are looking toward the future, as evidenced by their acquisition of rookie shooting guard Svi Mykhailiuk and a 2021 second-round pick from the Lakers in exchange for swingman Reggie Bullock on Wednesday. The move allowed the Pistons to replenish assets after surrendering second-round picks from 2020-23.

The 6-foot-8 Mykhaliuk has played sparingly with the Lakers, averaging 3.3 points in 20.8 minutes per game. He has recorded a few double-digit performances, including a career-best 12 points on 4-of-10 shooting -- including 3-of-6 from 3-point range -- against Charlotte on Dec. 15.

The Pistons also agreed to trade forward Stanley Johnson to Milwaukee for fellow former lottery pick Thon Maker.

The 7-foot-1 Maker, who was the 10th overall pick in the 2016 NBA Draft, is averaging 4.7 points and 2.7 rebounds in 11.7 minutes per game across 35 games this season. His career-best performance came in 2017, with he scored 23 points against the Pistons, coincidentally.

--Field Level Media

(STATS / cbssports.com)

Thanks, Rady.

Now that the trade deadline is passed, I think it?s all on Fizdale and the coaching staff.

Turn DSJ into a star who plays better defense and turns the ball over less without losing his explosiveness. Refine MRob?s game so that he becomes even more of a force of nature on both ends of the court. Get Knox to play more within the flow of the game on offense and get him playing more aware defense. Get Mudiay and Ntilikina healthy and figure out what roles they are playing going forward.

tiger0330

Legend
I was concerned that the Knicks would be better with the Mavs players but with Wes and Kanter gone along with THJ, Trey and CLee in Dallas no fear about that now. Arguably the worst roster in the NBA now so we should lose a lot more games in the chase for Zion.

I was concerned that the Knicks would be better with the Mavs players but with Wes and Kanter gone along with THJ, Trey and CLee in Dallas no fear about that now. Arguably the worst roster in the NBA now so we should lose a lot more games in the chase for Zion.

We might legitimately go 2 - 27 from here on out to reach 70 losses. I challenge anyone to say that is at least not a possibility.

mafra

Legend
We?re in serious competition with CHI and CLE for that top pick. Will Love play this year? If we finish worst, then we can fall further than what? 4th?

Zion or RJ or Ja but at 4?

We?re in serious competition with CHI and CLE for that top pick. Will Love play this year? If we finish worst, then we can fall further than what? 4th?

Zion or RJ or Ja but at 4?

Unless something crazy happens, bottom 4 are us, Phoenix, Cleveland, and Chicago. It?s going to be a dead heat to the last game. The idea of either Cleveland or Chicago getting that #1 overall pick kinda pisses me off. I have this bad feeling that Cleveland is destined to get Zion as Lebron 2.0. Watch us finish with the worst record and pick 4th.

Worst record means worst pick you can get is 5th. 2nd worst record means worst pick you can get is 6th. And so on I believe.

mafra

Legend
Unless something crazy happens, bottom 4 are us, Phoenix, Cleveland, and Chicago. It?s going to be a dead heat to the last game. The idea of either Cleveland or Chicago getting that #1 overall pick kinda pisses me off. I have this bad feeling that Cleveland is destined to get Zion as Lebron 2.0. Watch us finish with the worst record and pick 4th.

Worst record means worst pick you can get is 5th. 2nd worst record means worst pick you can get is 6th. And so on I believe.

Being that we?ve never jumped up since Ewing, and normally fall (see last year and KAT-KP draft)...

CHI and CLE have won multiple times the last few years (including both miraculously winning when local studs Rose and LJ were in the draft.... CLE got Wiggins, Bennett, Kyrie since LJ left in 2010.

I will be seriously pissed. I do believe NBA has rigged it over the years... so they better do it this draft too. It?s about time a transcendent Star is in NY!

PHO on the cusp... watch them land Zion and Ball.

paris401

Starter
rady...u r a trooper for sure ... thanks.... BUT... it would help if u can put a name next to each player - who r these guys???

Kiyaman

Legend
Wsup Rady .... Thanks for the Game-Thread .. last game against the Pistons the Pistons held the lead throughout the game thanks to our new young PG DSJ and coach Tank-Tank Fizdale.
The Knicks lucking-up to get a 1 to 3 draft pick in the 2019 draft are still thousand to one odds.
Fizdale's hilarious coaching doesn't deserve any of the 2019 un-draft players !!!

Dotson back to being a starter. Makes sense to keep giving him a chance to play as he is one of the few guys on our roster already under contract for next season.

DSJ with the steal and goes the distance for the dunk. He has 8 points in less than 8 minutes. We?ve allowed 30 points in less than 8 minutes. Ouch.

Asking DSJ to do way too much. Bunch of ugly plays, unfortunately, very few other guys left on the roster who can make plays.

I didn?t realize Kornet isn?t under contract for next season. I wonder if we end up letting him walk if he doesn?t come bottom of the barrel cheap.

We allow 41 points in the 1st quarter and trail by 19. This is some next level ?tanking? here. Or, we are just awful.