1626209.png
1629061.png

1628995.png
1626204.png

201599.png
1627737.png

Injury Report

New York KnicksCleveland Cavaliers
Emmanuel Mudiay - Strained left shoulder (OUT)John Henson - Left Wrist Surgery (OUT)
Frank Ntilikina - Sore groin (OUT)JR Smith - Personal (NWT)
-Tristan Thompson - Left Foot Soreness (OUT)
-Cedi Osman - Right Ankle Sprain (DOUBT)

Game Preview

The good news is that someone will have to win Monday night, when the New York Knicks and Cleveland Cavaliers play each other. The bad news is ... someone will have to win.

A valuable spot in the draft lottery may be at stake when the Cavaliers host the Knicks in a battle of teams engaged in the "race" for the No. 1 draft pick in June.

Both teams, appropriately enough, will enter Monday mired in the midst of epic skids. The Knicks tied a franchise record by suffering their 16th straight loss Saturday, when they fell 104-99 to the visiting Toronto Raptors. New York also suffered 16 straight losses during the 2014-15 season.

The Cavaliers' losing streak hit four games Saturday, when they were beaten 105-90 by the host Indiana Pacers.

A loss by the Knicks on Monday would give them the 34th losing streak of at least 17 games in NBA history and the longest losing streak since the Memphis Grizzlies dropped 19 in a row last season. New York has lost 24 of 25 and 29 of its last 31 games.

And while the Knicks' goals have been obvious since the start of the season -- and grew even more so following the blockbuster trade of Kristaps Porzingis to Dallas on Jan. 31 that emptied the roster of high-end NBA talent and cleared plenty of cap space for an offseason pursuit of a superstar or two -- first-year head coach David Fizdale said the constant losing will not wear on his squad.

"We understand what this year is," Fizdale said Saturday night. "Whatever happens to us this year will not make us crack or waver. We're just going to keep chopping and keep going after it. I've got really high-character people in that locker room that are rooting for each other and working hard for each other. So I don't see any of this cracking our spirit."

A history-avoiding win on Monday night would certainly raise the spirits in the Knicks' locker room, as well as shuffle the order of the three teams in position to have the best chance at "winning" the opportunity to draft Duke freshman star Zion Williamson.

Entering Sunday, New York (10-45) had the worst record in the NBA, a half-game worse than the Cavaliers (11-45) and a game worse than the Phoenix Suns (11-46), who were scheduled to put their 13-game losing streak on the line Sunday night against the Sacramento Kings.

The three worst teams in the NBA will have equal odds of winning the lottery, which is scheduled for May 14. The only other team besides the Knicks, Cavaliers and Suns within shouting distance of the bottom three is the Chicago Bulls, who have a 13-43 record.

The Cavaliers have been a bit better lately than the Knicks and Suns, albeit only incrementally so. Cleveland has dropped 22 of its last 25 dating back to Dec. 19, a stretch that includes a 12-game losing streak as well as back-to-back wins over the Bulls and Washington Wizards on Jan. 27-29.

Defense has been an issue for the Cavaliers, who have allowed at least 100 points in 12 straight games and 23 of their last 25.

"Keep growing defensively," Cavaliers power forward Larry Nance Jr. said Saturday night. "I'm going to keep preaching that, because you can find offense. You can find offense in the offseason. We're not worried about that. Defense is the thing that's got to be there every single night, every single practice, every single game. So that's what I'm going to keep harping on."

Kevin Love recently returned from toe surgery and his status hasn't been determined.

--Field Level Media

(STATS / cbssports.com)

NicksKnicks

Rotation player
Its been 10 years since I last posted on here and nothing has changed. If we win this I may well disappear again for another 10 years...

tiger0330

Legend
Saw the last Cavs game and their roster might be worse than our roster after the deadline where they got rid of Hood and Burks. Calling for a win against the Cavs and an end to our record tying 16 game losing streak. Lose against them and you can seriously consider this team the worst in Knicks history.

mafra

Legend
Team goes for a franchise-record 17 consecutive Ls. Hey now...

According to Alan Hahn, Perry and NYK will stay the tank course if they can?t sign KD. Won?t spend if KD won?t come here with a max buddy.

We could be looking at another lost decade if we don?t get a top 3 pick, we can?t get KD, and the kids on the roster now are not all that.

NY signs Jon Jenkins.

tiger0330

Legend
Team goes for a franchise-record 17 consecutive Ls. Hey now...

According to Alan Hahn, Perry and NYK will stay the tank course if they can’t sign KD. Won’t spend if KD won’t come here with a max buddy.

We could be looking at another lost decade if we don’t get a top 3 pick, we can’t get KD, and the kids on the roster now are not all that.

NY signs Jon Jenkins.
Talk about job security, preach patience to the fan base and continue losing for years. I said Mills should have been fired the day they fired PJ. Maybe it's time to start rooting for the Nets, Knicks fans should wise up and stop paying the highest ticket prices in the NBA to watch G-League bball.

mafra

Legend
If Mills whiffs in free agency then he should be let go, but Dolan won?t do it. 20 years of losing apparently isn?t enough to get you fired.

Can Nets sign KD and Kyrie? If so, they could be in play for Brooklyn.

?A native of West Orange, NJ, a stones throw from the skyline of New York City, Irving did grow up liking the then-New Jersey Nets when they ran the NBA?s Eastern Conference during the days of Jason Kidd, Kenyon Martin and Richard Jefferson.

He was a fan of Kidd.

?Not many people have that niche and that feel for the game,? Kyrie Irving told me after Kidd was hired as the Brooklyn Nets? head coach in 2013.

?Watching him play was a pleasure.?

That Nets team that made back to back trips to the NBA Finals in 2002 and 2003 was coached by Byron Scott who lived in Livingston, NJ; a neighboring town to West Orange, during his Nets coaching tenure.

Scott would later coach Irving earlier in his career with the Cavaliers.

Irving?s dad, Drederick is a native New Yorker from the borough of the Bronx; as is Irving?s godfather, Rod Strickland.

Strickland had seen Irving dribble the ball from time to time in the backyard and used to tell Drederick Irving, ?He?s going to make you some money.?

The first time Strickland saw Irving play in an actual game was when he was in high school when ironically he played in LeBron James? camp, where Irving put on an absolute show.?

I think hitting in lottery is our main priority. I think if we get a top 3 pick... we are golden no matter what.

Figures, Knicks a year too late.... stinking last year gets you Doncic... this year, 86% chance of picking other than 1st.

tiger0330

Legend
KLove starting, he didn't play last game. Let's see what that does to my prediction of a Knicks win. Brandon Knight also in the Cavs lineup.

tiger0330

Legend
Mario puts the hammer down on a rim shaking dunk over Criss. Cris is soft, Knicks need to exploit him while he's in the game.

Kiyaman

Legend
Sexton vs DSJ =
Wow! Love & Knight have the Cavs first-half performance playing like they want this Cavs home win.
Half-Time
Knicks 48
Cavs 63