Game thread: New York Knicks @ Cleveland Cavaliers 7:00 2/11/2019 [Game #56]

rady

Administrator
Staff member
At this point it really shouldn't matter these kinds of records as long as the goal is (and hopefully be obtained) winning the lottery. Really, i would much rather enjoy close losses like this, or basically any type of loss than winning against the Warriors. Great couple of games for KA, really like when our youngsters come up with such big numbers

Kiyaman

Legend
17th Straight Losses !!!

This is where you call BS, on knicks and Fizdale. We’re down a possession with less than 20 seconds left. We draw up a play and guess who takes the final shot?

Yep.

New Knick who just signed a 10-day contract. Somehow Jenkins is in the game and for some reason he takes the shot.

Draw up a play for Knox or DSJ... you know... the kids we are building around, who they claim are part of the future. Nope. Let’s let a soon to be former player get the chuck.

Let Knox attempt a game winning shot for experience / growth.

Even in a wire to wire loss, to worst team in NBA... we still find a way to lose in a loss.

Mafra .. U are absolutely Right !!!
There's no way I would want to be the head-coach to go down in the Knicks history book as the 17 straight loss coach SMH
And we can't say Fizdale wasn't given several opportunities to pull out a win throughout the final 5 minutes of a game vs a 11-45 record Cavs team .. and the Cavs Love and Knight only played 16 minute tonight !!!

In the final 5 to 3 minutes of the game coach Fizdale should have had at least some type of offense/defense plan (he develop throughout a half season) with certain Knicks players on how to close-out a game .. Knox offense, Trier offense, Dotson 2-Way, Kornet 2-Way, MitchRob Block-Party, and Vonleh rebounding, these six players were in training-camp .. and their development ......

tiger0330

Legend
At this point it really shouldn't matter these kinds of records as long as the goal is (and hopefully be obtained) winning the lottery. Really, i would much rather enjoy close losses like this, or basically any type of loss than winning against the Warriors. Great couple of games for KA, really like when our youngsters come up with such big numbers
I agree, I've said if we're going to have a losing season we might as well have a record setting losing season. I just question Fizdale as a coach, why is he playing DJ when he won't be here next season, why is Kornet not in the game against TOR but in during crunch time against the Cavs? Why is Vonleh coming off the bench now when Fiz said he's the Knicks best player? Not sure how he handles Allan when Mudiay and Nits come back but he deserves to play ahead of Nitilikina doing more in a few weeks than Nits has done in 2 years.

Kiyaman

Legend

What u wrote is true however, its the TANKING Goal the Knicks front office set that has to be the problem.
In the past 5 seasons it look like the Knicks goal were TANKING to receive a lottery picks.
When a team consistently TANK season after season as much as the Knicks to receive a one to ten lottery pick, the team should become at least a .500 winning team after 3 to 5 years of TANKING.
On draft night the Knicks think they are selecting the best player available, when the Knicks should be selecting a player the team need. But its hard to select a player the Knicks need when management are always trading players and adding 6 or more new players at the beginning of every season.
In the past 4 years the Knicks receive 3 lottery picks .. 2015 the 4th pick KP, 2017 the 8th pick Frank, and 2018 the 9th pick Knox.
In the past 5 seasons the Knicks poor coaching-staff did little of nothing to develop the Knicks draft picks into NBA players.

2017-18 = 29 wins
2016-17 = 31 wins
2015-16 = 32 wins
2014-15 = 17 wins
2013-14 = 37 wins

Example: In 2006-7 The OKC Thunder consistently TANK three seasons in a row to select Durant in 2007, Westbrook in 2008, and Harden in 2009. After selecting SF-Durant, SG-Harden, and PG-Westbrook the OKC Thunders has been a postseason team every season throughout a decade. From selecting what the OKC Thunders team need to win from the draft.

Kiyaman

Legend
I agree, I've said if we're going to have a losing season we might as well have a record setting losing season. I just question Fizdale as a coach, why is he playing DJ when he won't be here next season, why is Kornet not in the game against TOR but in during crunch time against the Cavs? Why is Vonleh coming off the bench now when Fiz said he's the Knicks best player? Not sure how he handles Allan when Mudiay and Nits come back but he deserves to play ahead of Nitilikina doing more in a few weeks than Nits has done in 2 years.

In the Knicks 56 played games this season coach Fizdale never gave any STARTER lineup he put on the court enough time to gather confidence in the teammates in the lineup to gel and learn how to compliment each other skills to at least perform on the same page on offense or defense.
Fizdale put out a new rotation every game or every other game.

Last edited:

rady

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with you, Kiya,
but i think that up until this year the Knicks din't know how to tank. It's like they failed to do the easiest thing in the books. They always found themselves in the tank race late in the season and they always found a way to avoid the bottom. For some reason, this time they got it right. And they're doing it while finally giving plenty of playtime to the younger guns, something that i have never seen since becoming a Knick fan. I like the way the development process is going and i'm leaning to think that it's the final year we're gonna be so miserable.

On the other hand, i have this final thought every summer..

Kiyaman

Legend
I agree with you, Kiya,
but i think that up until this year the Knicks din't know how to tank. It's like they failed to do the easiest thing in the books. They always found themselves in the tank race late in the season and they always found a way to avoid the bottom. For some reason, this time they got it right. And they're doing it while finally giving plenty of playtime to the younger guns, something that i have never seen since becoming a Knick fan. I like the way the development process is going and i'm leaning to think that it's the final year we're gonna be so miserable.

When Frank and Mudiay come back after the All-Star weekend .. it will be hard for the Knicks to TANK and lose consecutive games having Frank & DSJ tandem in the backcourt or Mudiay & Allen tandem in the backcourt.

mafra

Legend
Knicks had choice between Fizdale or Mike Budyholtzer (sp?)... MIL has best record in EC and we on pace for worst season in franchise history.

If Fiz?s presence doesn?t attract the free agents this July... yet another EPIC fail in a long list of them for Mills.

NicksKnicks

Rotation player
I agree with you, Kiya,

The one year we finally learn how to tank properly and the lottery rules change. Classic Knicks!

Im with you Rady, i think this could be the final year of being a laughing stock. Ultimately it might come down to luck and getting that no.1 pick but we also need to play smart in the free agency and not sign just throw a max deal at anyone.

Kiyaman

Legend
Tonight young PG performance ?.

Sexton: 20 pts, 1 rb, 3 ast, 1 stl, and 1 turnover in 39 minute
DSJr.: 10 pts, 2 rb, 4 ast, 3 stl, 2 blk, and 1 turnover in 31 minute
Allen: 25 pts, 3 rb, 6 ast, 1 stl, and 1 turnover in 32 minute

I have to admit .. we Knick fans has been sleeping on Kadeem Allen play-maker passing-skills plus quick-step slash to the basket for 2 pts in the last 5 games. The more games Allen play the familiar he gets to complimenting his teammates skills. I did get a little tight at Allen when he took that 3 ball shot when we were down by 4 pts at crunch time.
But Allen is THAT 3rd guard in a 3 guard-offense u want on the court !!!

Kadeem plays with his head up .. I like what I've seen, a lot from him in the 5 games.
Apparently in Boston the backcourt was too jammed, and then when he hooked on with us he was a bit of a fatso by NBA standards but has since dropped like 20 pounds, and has been looking more crafty & efficient at the point than any one else we had this season.
Kadeem Allen & MitchRob has been our best two consistent well performing players since DeAndre Jordan arrived.
The Knicks better resign the 30 yr old DeAndre Jordan in the off-season!
Because .. I'm no NBA coach, but I could go 6 or 7 games in a first round playoff series having Kanter and DJ in the front-court rotation.

Some fans may get upset bout what i have to say bout our 19 yr old rookie Knox .. whom Fizdale been giving 30 plus minute of playing-time the past two months .. In the months of Dec. to Feb., Mario should have been receiving the majority of SF rotation minute being on a one year contract.
Knox should have been earning his playing time coming off the bench for 20 or more minute per game .. Why?
Does anyone have worst footwork than Knox on the team?
The guy travels twice a game always diving to catch the ball out of bounds, his rebounding is suspect too, he shows a total lack of effort out there.

Allen has outplayed all the guards the 1 + 2 spot, thank god for MitchRob one of the only bright spots out there from the young guys.
Who has been coaching our winning G.League Westchester team? Great Job !!!

Anyone feels the Robinson is developing faster than Knox? Knox sometimes looks lost or week in the court.....

No question in my mind. Given his clear elite prospect talent, I think that if MRob took a conventional path to the draft, he probably could have been a higher draft pick than Knox in the top 10.

MRob is going to possibly lead the NBA in blocks next season if he gets shifted to starters minutes. Should be a regular double double player too. MRob is shooting 70% from the floor this season because he already knows how to use his height and athleticism to get to the rim and catch the ball in the air where he can?t be defended.

Knox, on the other hand, has a ton of talent, but his game is all over the place on both ends of the court.