Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Phoenix Suns Game thread: New York Knicks @ Phoenix Suns 7:00 3/6/2019 [Game #65]

(13-51) -- (14-51)

Venue TV TIME
    Stick Resort Arena, Phoenix, AZ MSG 7:00 PM EST

Probable starters:

Injury Report

New York Knicks Phoenix Suns
    Frank Ntilikina - Sore groin (OUT) T.J. Warren - Right ankle soreness (OUT)
    DeAndre Jordan - Sprained left ankle (DOUBT) Jawun Evans - G League assignment
    Mario Hezonja - Contused Left Leg (OUT) George King - G League assignment
    - -

Game Preview

The Phoenix Suns and New York Knicks will square off Wednesday night in Arizona in a rare late-season battle of the two teams vying for the worst record in the NBA.

But the Suns will be coming off a rarer and more noteworthy accomplishment. Both teams were off Tuesday after playing Monday, when the visiting Knicks fell to the Sacramento Kings 115-108, and the host Suns stunned the NBA-leading Milwaukee Bucks, 114-105.

Monday's results were notable for two reasons. The Knicks (13-51) moved past the Suns (14-51) in the "race" for the NBA's worst record, though they are both in position to have the same odds of winning the draft lottery on May 14. The teams with the three worst records will all have a 14 percent chance of coming out of the lottery with the top pick, and the opportunity to select Duke star Zion Williamson.

In addition, the victory by the Suns completed a surprising season sweep of the Bucks. Phoenix earned a 116-114 win in Milwaukee on Nov. 23, which immediately preceded a 10-game losing streak.

Since the 2009-10 season, only one team with the worst record in the NBA managed to sweep the season series from a team that finished with a winning record. The 2012-13 Orlando Magic swept a two-game series from the Golden State Warriors, who finished 47-35.

Of the other three teams -- the Knicks, the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Chicago Bulls -- with the best odds of finishing with the worst record in the league, only the Knicks have a chance at completing a sweep of a team with a winning record. New York beat the San Antonio Spurs, 130-118, on Feb. 24 and will visit the Spurs on March 15.

At 36-29, the Spurs fighting for a playoff spot, not the best record in the NBA. Which means if the Suns end up with the league's worst record, they'll have the most noteworthy sweep of the decade.

Of course, after beating the Bucks, the Suns aren't focused on "beating out" the Knicks or anyone else for the worst record. The win was the second straight for Phoenix, which beat the Los Angeles Lakers 118-109 on Saturday, and third in four games.

"It just says a lot about this team," guard Devin Booker told reporters after the Suns built their second winning streak of the season. Phoenix won four straight from Dec. 13-19, a stretch in which they beat the Knicks 128-110 in New York.

"We're not backing down to anybody. After the All-Star Break, a lot of teams could shut it down, but we're not. It feels like a new season for us. (Forward) Kelly (Oubre Jr.) and I were just talking. We wished the season just started right now. We're ready for every game. We're coming at teams, and we're ready for it."

The Knicks are approaching the remainder of a lost season with similar sentiments. New York endured a single-season franchise-record 18-game losing streak from Jan. 7 through Feb. 13 but is 3-4 dating back to a 106-91 win over the Hawks on Feb. 14.

"We don't worry about the record," Knicks forward Kevin Knox told reporters Monday night. "We go out there and play for one another, play together, compete and play hard."

--Field Level Media

(STATS / cbssports.com)

Veteran

Thanks, Rady.

Battle of 2 teams with a combined 102 losses in the 1st week of March. The NBA should be grateful for the interest stirred up by the tanking teams. The intrigue of the tank makes a game like this “must watch” basketball.

12th man

DJ back in the starting lineup. I'd expect that moves Vonleh to PF and LT back to the bench.

Veteran

Jason Kidd was an invited guest at shootaround earlier today, talking with Mudiay and DSJ. It’s hard to remember Ntilikina is even still on this team.

12th man

Quote Originally Posted by htr10 View Post
    Jason Kidd was an invited guest at shootaround earlier today, talking with Mudiay and DSJ. It’s hard to remember Ntilikina is even still on this team.
    I remember well how Fizdale gave Frank only 4 minute session in a quarter to keep the TANKING going .. its not hard to do the Math on Fizdale coaching to TANK !!!

12th man

Breen talking about Knox and Fiz wanting him to play through his struggles so he probably won't cut his playing time but it's just as important to evaluate Nits. I think Knox might benefit with an extended period on the bench, might recharge his battery there and learn something watching and not playing.

12th man

Quote Originally Posted by tiger0330 View Post
    Breen talking about Knox and Fiz wanting him to play through his struggles so he probably won't cut his playing time but it's just as important to evaluate Nits. I think Knox might benefit with an extended period on the bench, might recharge his battery there and learn something watching and not playing.
    Wasted season with him. Didn't improve from last year and still has all those questions surrounding him. If he comes back this season they should cut Knox's playing time and give them to Nits.
    If you haven't seen it Posting and Toasting wrote a devastatingly critical article on Kevin Knox rookie performance and stats. I was aware of his poor RPM numbers because I've posted them but I didn't have the historical context of them being the worst in NBA history of anyone playing 20 minutes or more. He's a very young rookie and he's in a hole but how many rookies have dug themselves out of a hole to eventually become good players?

I question Fiz continuing giving him starters minutes because he's not improving, Fiz must be aware of these numbers and it makes me question him as a coach and worry about the bust potential of Knox.

https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2...ts-to-prove-it
    Last edited by tiger0330; Mar 07, 2019 at 16:58.

12th man

If you haven't seen it Posting and Toasting wrote a devastatingly critical article on Kevin Knox rookie performance and stats. I was aware of his poor RPM numbers because I've posted them but I didn't have the historical context of them being the worst in NBA history of anyone playing 20 minutes or more. He's a very young rookie and he's in a hole but how many rookies have dug themselves out of a hole to eventually become good players?

I question Fiz continuing giving him starters minutes because he's not improving, Fiz must be aware of these numbers and it makes me question him as a coach and worry about the bust potential of Knox.

https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2...ts-to-prove-it
    Knox poor preseason performance told the story ....
    Knox hit the rookie WALL early January. to become Fizdale's #1 tool player to keep the TANKING at full speed.
    The poorer Knox played the more playing time he received, but it did put a stop to coach Fizdale foolish substitution, plus changing the starter lineup and rotation every week.
    Last edited by Kiyaman; Mar 07, 2019 at 18:48.

12th man

WOW! the 3rd qrt. lookin like the entire Knick roster got the 2nd-Half "TANKING" memo

12th man

Quote Originally Posted by htr10 View Post
    Wasted season with him. Didn't improve from last year and still has all those questions surrounding him. If he comes back this season they should cut Knox's playing time and give them to Nits.

12th man

Truth be said, I hope Frank dont play until the final 5 games of the season ..
    HALF-TIME Knicks 47 - Suns 49

Veteran

After disappearing for a good chunk of the season, Trier starting to earn a lot of attention again. He could easily be our starting 2 guard next season if he can keep progressing. Dotson and Trier have really done a good job seizing their opportunities given how much the focus has been on the other guard position.

Veteran

Don’t know why, but I have this funny feeling we are going to win this one.

12th man

Thanks for the Game-Thread Rady .. This is a Must Lose Game .. that the Knicks players has to win

12th man

The west coast swing Clippers/Kings/Suns all have Mudiay & DSJ number !!!