home.png
i
i
i
i
i

Injury Report

New York KnicksPhoenix Suns
Frank Ntilikina - Sore groin (OUT)T.J. Warren - Right ankle soreness (OUT)
DeAndre Jordan - Sprained left ankle (DOUBT)Jawun Evans - G League assignment
Mario Hezonja - Contused Left Leg (OUT)George King - G League assignment
--

Game Preview

The Phoenix Suns and New York Knicks will square off Wednesday night in Arizona in a rare late-season battle of the two teams vying for the worst record in the NBA.

But the Suns will be coming off a rarer and more noteworthy accomplishment. Both teams were off Tuesday after playing Monday, when the visiting Knicks fell to the Sacramento Kings 115-108, and the host Suns stunned the NBA-leading Milwaukee Bucks, 114-105.

Monday's results were notable for two reasons. The Knicks (13-51) moved past the Suns (14-51) in the "race" for the NBA's worst record, though they are both in position to have the same odds of winning the draft lottery on May 14. The teams with the three worst records will all have a 14 percent chance of coming out of the lottery with the top pick, and the opportunity to select Duke star Zion Williamson.

In addition, the victory by the Suns completed a surprising season sweep of the Bucks. Phoenix earned a 116-114 win in Milwaukee on Nov. 23, which immediately preceded a 10-game losing streak.

Since the 2009-10 season, only one team with the worst record in the NBA managed to sweep the season series from a team that finished with a winning record. The 2012-13 Orlando Magic swept a two-game series from the Golden State Warriors, who finished 47-35.

Of the other three teams -- the Knicks, the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Chicago Bulls -- with the best odds of finishing with the worst record in the league, only the Knicks have a chance at completing a sweep of a team with a winning record. New York beat the San Antonio Spurs, 130-118, on Feb. 24 and will visit the Spurs on March 15.

At 36-29, the Spurs fighting for a playoff spot, not the best record in the NBA. Which means if the Suns end up with the league's worst record, they'll have the most noteworthy sweep of the decade.

Of course, after beating the Bucks, the Suns aren't focused on "beating out" the Knicks or anyone else for the worst record. The win was the second straight for Phoenix, which beat the Los Angeles Lakers 118-109 on Saturday, and third in four games.

"It just says a lot about this team," guard Devin Booker told reporters after the Suns built their second winning streak of the season. Phoenix won four straight from Dec. 13-19, a stretch in which they beat the Knicks 128-110 in New York.

"We're not backing down to anybody. After the All-Star Break, a lot of teams could shut it down, but we're not. It feels like a new season for us. (Forward) Kelly (Oubre Jr.) and I were just talking. We wished the season just started right now. We're ready for every game. We're coming at teams, and we're ready for it."

The Knicks are approaching the remainder of a lost season with similar sentiments. New York endured a single-season franchise-record 18-game losing streak from Jan. 7 through Feb. 13 but is 3-4 dating back to a 106-91 win over the Hawks on Feb. 14.

"We don't worry about the record," Knicks forward Kevin Knox told reporters Monday night. "We go out there and play for one another, play together, compete and play hard."

--Field Level Media

(STATS / cbssports.com)

Thanks, Rady.

Battle of 2 teams with a combined 102 losses in the 1st week of March. The NBA should be grateful for the interest stirred up by the tanking teams. The intrigue of the tank makes a game like this ?must watch? basketball.

Jason Kidd was an invited guest at shootaround earlier today, talking with Mudiay and DSJ. It?s hard to remember Ntilikina is even still on this team.

After disappearing for a good chunk of the season, Trier starting to earn a lot of attention again. He could easily be our starting 2 guard next season if he can keep progressing. Dotson and Trier have really done a good job seizing their opportunities given how much the focus has been on the other guard position.

Kiyaman

Legend
Jason Kidd was an invited guest at shootaround earlier today, talking with Mudiay and DSJ. It’s hard to remember Ntilikina is even still on this team.

I remember well how Fizdale gave Frank only 4 minute session in a quarter to keep the TANKING going .. its not hard to do the Math on Fizdale coaching to TANK !!!

tiger0330

Legend
Jason Kidd was an invited guest at shootaround earlier today, talking with Mudiay and DSJ. It’s hard to remember Ntilikina is even still on this team.
Wasted season with him. Didn't improve from last year and still has all those questions surrounding him. If he comes back this season they should cut Knox's playing time and give them to Nits.

tiger0330

Legend
Breen talking about Knox and Fiz wanting him to play through his struggles so he probably won't cut his playing time but it's just as important to evaluate Nits. I think Knox might benefit with an extended period on the bench, might recharge his battery there and learn something watching and not playing.

Kiyaman

Legend
Wasted season with him. Didn't improve from last year and still has all those questions surrounding him. If he comes back this season they should cut Knox's playing time and give them to Nits.

Truth be said, I hope Frank dont play until the final 5 games of the season ..
HALF-TIME Knicks 47 - Suns 49

tiger0330

Legend
Pathetic game letting the Suns dominate them, now down 81-62 end of 3. Can't hit a shot, turning the ball over and letting the Suns score at will. Fiz has to take a large part of the blame for the sloppy way this team plays.

tiger0330

Legend
PHX beat (stunned) the Bucks tonight making us the team with the worst record in the NBA. Big game in PHX Wed in the battle of two tanking teams.

Have to believe a team that can roll out Booker, Tyler Johnson, Oubre and Ayton will beat us.
This is what I said after the Kings name, I wasn't wrong. Sun's gloating on the bench, Fizdale and this team suck when you let very bad team dominate you like the Suns did tonight.

mafra

Legend
Knicks lost. PHO and CHI won. A good night. Not sure you can have much faith in Fiz, Knox and DSJ if they plan on selling fans that trio as our franchise?s future.

Comparing DSJ to KP offensive skill set is like comparing me to N8 Robinson.

tiger0330

Legend
Losing a hard fought game to a bad team like the Suns is one thing but playing a sloppy game with lackluster D pisses me off. I'd put Fizdale on a short leash next season.